Nirvana

anagramking

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 28 2011, 04:12 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 28 2011, 04:04 PM)
I rank them with The Doors and G&R as the most Overrated bands ever .

I can understand thinking that, as a band, Nirvana is overrated. But, I don't think that way in regards to Nevermind as an album. It's a classic.

I totally agree about The Doors and Guns N' Roses.

yes.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Sep 29 2011, 12:58 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 28 2011, 03:04 PM)

goodpost.gif Metaldad, you are a genius!

XM played nothing but Nirvana for three days straight on Lithium. It was horrible. wacko.gif Nirvana had the right sound at the right time. Nothing more.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Sep 29 2011, 01:46 PM)
It was a case of right place at the right time. Terrible band with a talentless junkie for a leader. Cobain was far from a great songwriter and guitarist. Horrendous vocalist too. 062802puke_prv.gif

I like his songwriting and I like his singing. I'm not crazy about his lyrics, though. His guitar playing has the right punkish "attitude". Yeah, he was a junkie, just another casualty that robbed his family and fans of so much potential.

eyesre4.gif Or lazy and predictable. Overrated how? By who? And even if they are, so what? Just because some people overly obsess over them does not mean they're overrated. The impact they had on rock music and in young listeners while they were an active band cannot be denied (which applies in the Doors' case as well). Maybe Cobain wasn't a great songwriter but he was a pretty good one though. He had a good melodic sense and his songs were loaded with strong pop hooks which is even more apparent when heard in the stripped down and intimate setting of the unplugged recordings. I'm not even a huge Nirvana fan but I recognize authentic quality kick ass rock n roll when I hear it and for me Nirvana passes the test.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 30 2011, 02:14 AM)

eyesre4.gif Or lazy and predictable. Overrated how? By who? And even if they are, so what? Just because some people overly obsess over them does not mean they're overrated. The impact they had on rock music and in young listeners while they were an active band cannot be denied (which applies in the Doors' case as well). Maybe Cobain wasn't a great songwriter but he was a pretty good one though. He had a good melodic sense and his songs were loaded with strong pop hooks which is even more apparent when heard in the stripped down and intimate setting of the unplugged recordings. I'm not even a huge Nirvana fan but I recognize authentic quality kick ass rock n roll when I hear it and for me Nirvana passes the test.

I am Lazy and Predictable ? Funny. Notice I said that I thought they were overrated, just IMO, I was not speaking for Anyone else. You need to relax.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 30 2011, 11:24 AM)
I am Lazy and Predictable ? Funny. Notice I said that I thought they were overrated, just IMO, I was not speaking for Anyone else. You need to relax.

No problem at all with the opinion, I could agree with it to some extent. It was more of a response to the genius comment in that I didn't see any sheer brilliance in the simple crapping on a decent band without a reason given. Maybe it was an overreaction.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Oct 3 2011, 11:39 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 30 2011, 11:24 AM)

No problem at all with the opinion, I could agree with it to some extent. It was more of a response to the genius comment in that I didn't see any sheer brilliance in the simple crapping on a decent band without a reason given. Maybe it was an overreaction.

Yeah, you overreacted at me calling metaldad a genius. I can't stand Nirvana- that's all there is to it. Lighten up! bekloppt.gif

I can't stand Nirvana either, but I won't deny their impact on the industry - as much as I loathe the changes they helped bring about. Grunge was, as a rule, sloppy, dirty and overly preachy and depressing, in my opinion. I would have much rather seen what the natural evolution of the hair bands would have been rather than what we got - the abrupt ending of that genre in favor of Cobain's mumbling and everyone else trying to imitate Vedder's voice.

I don't think there has ever been such an abrupt shift in rock music. The 50's led fairly smoothly into the 60's, the 60's led into the 70's, and most of the 70's sound survived to the 80's. When the early 90's hit, it's like someone flipped a switch. I feel like the direction rock had been traveling in took a sharp left turn rather than moving gradually into new areas - thanks largely to Nirvana.