• Classical
    • New Wave
    • Jazz
    • Celtic
    • New Age
    • Disco
    • Reggae
    • Techno

Okay look, sorry about the God damn outburst. I'm not saying you're stupid (or that your head is made of shit), I was just trying to point out that while you have many problems with their music and lifestyle, they could probably point out stuff they don't like about you.

You know those people might be totally cool no matter what they're singing about, or what they're wearing.

I guess I'm just in a shitty mood. Losing a friend within the last 24 hours isn't fun.

Oh, wait... I won't bother you guys with my "Pseudo hardships".

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Oct 17 2005, 08:48 PM)
Okay look, sorry about the God damn outburst. I'm not saying you're stupid (or that your head is made of shit), I was just trying to point out that while you have many problems with their music and lifestyle, they could probably point out stuff they don't like about you.

You know those people might be totally cool no matter what they're singing about, or what they're wearing.

I guess I'm just in a shitty mood. Losing a friend within the last 24 hours isn't fun.

Oh, wait... I won't bother you guys with my "Pseudo hardships".

Sorry to hear about your loss Mustard. I lost a good friend about 7 years ago and I know exactly what you are going through. My condolences my young friend. sad.gif Losing someone you care about is hardly a "Pseudo hardships".

I wasn't directing the emo kids mentality comment directly to you. I never figured you for an emo kid nor any other young TRFer for that matter. I just assumed all lovers of rush weren't really into emo. Those two styles just seem worlds apart. I'm not saying that a rush fan can't like anything but rush. My bad to assume. Sometimes my cynicism gets the best of me sometimes. I'll stop assuming if you agree that emo sucks.. Just kidding. wink.gif

Edited to say I wasn't attack their personalities. I actually know some emo kids that are pretty cool I just think their taste in music sucks. Same goes for the emo musicians. I never thought that you thought my head was made of shit. Disagreement is a great thing it keeps us all different. trink39.gif

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

I almost can't believe it.

I figured that "emo" must stand for emotional music. I did not know but I did hope that was not the case. What a joke that there is some so-called "new" genre called emo.

How exactly is that a genre?

Don't most people identify with a certain form of music because it stirs their emotions? ALL forms of music could be called emo if that is the case.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy music/lyrics if it stirs my emotions/intellect. All versions of music could be called emo.

Whatever, RUSH is the ultimate emo. It's ultimate because it stirs my emotions like no other band before or since while also engaging my intellect.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Oct 18 2005, 02:22 AM)
I almost can't believe it.

I figured that "emo" must stand for emotional music. I did not know but I did hope that was not the case. What a joke that there is some so-called "new" genre called emo.

How exactly is that a genre?

Don't most people identify with a certain form of music because it stirs their emotions? ALL forms of music could be called emo if that is the case.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy music/lyrics if it stirs my emotions/intellect. All versions of music could be called emo.

Whatever, RUSH is the ultimate emo. It's ultimate because it stirs my emotions like no other band before or since while also engaging my intellect.

Millions of emo kids everywhere say it's a true genre. That's gotta account for something.

Here's a pretty good explanation of emo and it's history.

http://www.angelfire.com/emo/origin/

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

Emo, with rap a close second. I just get this feeling that since emo hit big, no one has tried to make or promote good hard rock. Rock music just doesn't have that raw edge anymore, unless you're talking about some underground band I've never heard of. Just my $.02.

Soul,Funk,Jazz,Jazz Rock,Funk Rock-I assume these are types of music that don't need to be judged along with the likes of Pop Punk(my vote!).I couldn't help but notice that Hip Hop/Rap takes a kicking-fair enough:lots of it is cak,but voting forGospel,one of musics' most beautiful forms-you've got to be kidding! msn_sheep.png

QUOTE (callmejim @ Oct 30 2005, 01:10 PM)
Soul,Funk,Jazz,Jazz Rock,Funk Rock-I assume these are types of music that don't need to be judged along with the likes of Pop Punk(my vote!).I couldn't help but notice that Hip Hop/Rap takes a kicking-fair enough:lots of it is cak,but voting forGospel,one of musics' most beautiful forms-you've got to be kidding! msn_sheep.png

I didn't vote for gospel, but it's one of my least favorite genres - sorry, I find it highly annoying - there are probably 4 other genres listed though that I like even less and I'd rather listen to an hour of gospel than to have to endure 5 minutes of country...

I'm surprised at the results thus far to this poll. I would have thought that Country would be a landslide victory, but it's not even as close as rap/hiphop. I would have needed that genre to be broken down more, like Metal is. There is some hip hop stuff that i can listen to, even enjoy. I can't stand the Gangsta rap stuff. I hate all the posturing phoniness of these clowns acting all tough. Even if they are... WHO CARES??? I can't believe that some of these idiots are glorified for their violence and how many crimes they've committed and how badly they treat women. It's a sad state our lands are in when this kind of crap is apprecitated so much by our music fans. Anyway... back to COUNTRY. While there are even a few inside this genre that I can stomach (Shania, Toby Keith), it's only when they have a crossover hit that strays from the pure country sound. Shania actually releases two versions of her stuff. One that will appeal to everyone and a pure country version because Country fans labelled her a sellout and gave her a ton of grief. It sucks that my fiance is one of those people that can listen to anything. She has the "varied tastes" approach to music and I get unwanted doses of country anymore and it just solidifies my stance that I HATE THE SHIT!!!!

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 5 2005, 05:30 AM)
I'm surprised at the results thus far to this poll. I would have thought that Country would be a landslide victory, but it's not even as close as rap/hiphop. I would have needed that genre to be broken down more, like Metal is. There is some hip hop stuff that i can listen to, even enjoy. I can't stand the Gangsta rap stuff. I hate all the posturing phoniness of these clowns acting all tough. Even if they are... WHO CARES??? I can't believe that some of these idiots are glorified for their violence and how many crimes they've committed and how badly they treat women. It's a sad state our lands are in when this kind of crap is apprecitated so much by our music fans. Anyway... back to COUNTRY. While there are even a few inside this genre that I can stomach (Shania, Toby Keith), it's only when they have a crossover hit that strays from the pure country sound. Shania actually releases two versions of her stuff. One that will appeal to everyone and a pure country version because Country fans labelled her a sellout and gave her a ton of grief. It sucks that my fiance is one of those people that can listen to anything. She has the "varied tastes" approach to music and I get unwanted doses of country anymore and it just solidifies my stance that I HATE THE SHIT!!!!

applaudit.gif goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

my wife was telling me the other day that at her workplace they started playing this christian music station (she'd previously told me they occasionally play country there too) and it was music with vocal interludes of people's testimonials and how she hated it and would rather listen to country any day (she doesn't love country, but can stand it on occasion). i said i'd much rather listen to that than country. she went on about how annoying it was, and i said something like, "Sounds heavenly next to country music." She then want on to talk about her least favorite genres like rap and this kind of punk/rap hybrid thing with screechy vocals and I said I don't like any of it either, but I'd rather listen to it any day of the week rather than country. Country is literally the only genre of music that I will exit a building to get away from - it's the worst of the worst of the worst... 062802puke_prv.gif

I find folk-punk particularly horrid, followed closely by the awful Country and Irish (mentioned more than once before on this forum).

In fact change those around, country and Irish is far, far worse than folk-punk!

Strip good country of all its emotion and add a healthy dollop of cynicism and apathy towards an audience that knows no better, and, ta-daa, COUNTRY AND IRISH!!!!

None of the available choices are narrowed enough for me to decide. Every single possibility features music I love, and music I hate.

Some I am more into than others, of course, but there's something I like a lot in every category.

I'll have to fake vote and then delete to see what the results have been so far, because I am curious.

edit: Not surprising. The traditionally disparaged genres of hip hop and country are way in the lead. I thought disco and pop would be up there with them, though. They get beat up as much.

I will say that I generally dislike pop the most, if I have to choose, but that's only because I really hate pop radio stations that play the same songs 50 times an hour. But that's a reflection on commercial radio, not pop. (Although the songs they tend to push seem to often be the most vacant of content. Some pop is quite good. Same goes for country radio. Somehow manages to air the worst, most vacant work. So much out there is great. Actually- same for hip hop. I think what I hate is commercial music. I want to add a category- Corporate Music)

Corporate Music

Edited by Mosher

None of the available choices are narrowed enough for me to decide. Every single possibility features music I love, and music I hate.

Some I am more into than others, of course, but there's something I like a lot in every category.

I'll have to fake vote and then delete to see what the results have been so far, because I am curious.

edit: Not surprising. The traditionally disparaged genres of hip hop and country are way in the lead. I thought disco and pop would be up there with them, though. They get beat up as much.

I will say that I generally dislike pop the most, if I have to choose, but that's only because I really hate pop radio stations that play the same songs 50 times an hour. But that's a reflection on commercial radio, not pop. (Although the songs they tend to push seem to often be the most vacant of content. Some pop is quite good. Same goes for country radio. Somehow manages to air the worst, most vacant work. So much out there is great. Actually- same for hip hop. I think what I hate is commercial music. I want to add a category- Corporate Music)

Corporate Music

What is corporate music? Who are some artists in that genre?

Corporate Music

I don't have a better word for it.

I'm talking about music that is contracted by music companies to prop up an artist. Music that is pre-approved and designed to elicit the greatest returns.

Sometimes it's even pretty good, but if I had to pick something that's what I'd choose.

Basically music where the artist is just a conduit for something a group of executives put together.

I couldn't really pick a 'worst genre' so I picked what I feel is the worst methodology.

Corporate Music

I don't have a better word for it.

I'm talking about music that is contracted by music companies to prop up an artist. Music that is pre-approved and designed to elicit the greatest returns.

Sometimes it's even pretty good, but if I had to pick something that's what I'd choose.

Basically music where the artist is just a conduit for something a group of executives put together.

I couldn't really pick a 'worst genre' so I picked what I feel is the worst methodology.

Any examples?