Exit Stage Left audio

jnoble

Based on what I've read from past discussions about it, whatever unused film footage from the ESL shoot in Montreal is long gone. Ditto the GUP tour

Btw, did anyone ever notice how opposite ESL and GUP are visually? Where ESL was grainy and dark and underlit in many places giving it a nice atmosphere, GUP was seemingly recorded under the brightest spotlights ever invented. Its TOO well lit! I need to wear a welders mask to watch most of it lol

The "lost footage" thing is really a bummer. The 1981 material was shot on film so maybe filming a full length show on multiple cameras, processing, editing and video transfer would have been costly, so perhaps I can see that they actually didn't even film the entire 2 hour concert with multi-cameras but the 1984 shows taped in Toronto at MLG. That was video and the cost to record both shows in their entirety would have been inconsequential. I was at both shows in MLG in 1984, on the floor and I can confirm that they had the cameras moving about for both nights. If your intention is just to use 1 night (likely the second night), you would still record the first night as a safety. You would look upon the first night as a rehearsal for the crew and the second night is show time. But all it would take is a few video tape cassettes to record the evening. To only have the 60 minutes that was released, as the only surviving material from both nights, would indicate a level of sloppiness and indifference that I don't think the Rush organization was capable of.

The only tricky thing that should be getting in the way is if the original recording format of video used back in 1984 became extinct and they never got it transferred to a more accessible format. I'm not sure what they used but if it was the M format as opposed to betacam, then yeah sure - finding M machines would be a challenge (not impossible).

• Like 1

The more expansive stuff - the Trees, Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder - sound killer on ESL. It works when there's more space and band dynamics.

But with SOR, and CTTH, YYZ, and Tom Sawyer - everything is bogged down in mud. Alex's guitar is the culprit - mid rangey yuckiness.

---

There's a Police boot on youtube where the band recorded their life set in a rehearsal space to be used on a future "Live" record. They didn't record vocals for the purpose of doing those in the studio.

I believe it was the same deal with ESL.

My personal theory is that sides 1/3 & 4 were recorded in both Montreal and Toronto and the muddier sounding cuts were from Toronto.

• Like 2

Horrible live album. It does sound muddy and not really live. You can barely hear the audience, which to me, is important in a live concert audio or video production.

That tour actually opened with 2112, but in the ESL video, Limelight is the first song. So, right there, I didn't like it because it didn't seem like a true concert. Also, no drum solo on the video. I guess they had time issues, but to omit the drum solo in a Rush show? That was a bad choice.

Grace Under Pressure live is as good as it gets with a live Rush recording. It's just about perfect.

I guess back then bands weren't as conscious about wanting to preserve stuff for the future as they maybe would be now. The band has expressed a lot of negative feelings about Exit in the years since, both about overdubbing stuff and about the sequencing. If you're going to alter things and cherry-pick, it's much better to do it the way they did it on Different Stages, where it's at least sequenced like a single concert with a beginning and end and keeps most of the important stuff.

All the World's a Stage is their best live album to me. Combines a great performance, great sound quality and the authenticity of being an actual live recording. Can't be beat.

I'm kind of hoping that an ESL40 would have the full shows, correct sequencing, and most of the original playing. That's a lot to ask for, and a lot would have to happen to make it so. Like the band still having the original tapes.... (Or Ole having the tapes)

I remember a radio interview at the time, Geddy mentioned how they didn't want any songs included that were on the previous live album, but I think that was the wrong decision. Make ESL the best representation of the MP tour would have been a better choice.

Side One

Overture

Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Side Two

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Closer to the Heart

Side Three

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

Side Four

Tom Sawyer

Natural Science

La Villa Strangiato

Yeah - that would have been a kick ass ESL

Edited by taurus
  • Like 1

I remember a radio interview at the time, Geddy mentioned how they didn't want any songs included that were on the previous live album, but I think that was the wrong decision. Make ESL the best representation of the MP tour would have been a better choice.

Side One

Overture

Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Side Two

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Closer to the Heart

Side Three

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

Side Four

Tom Sawyer

Natural Science

La Villa Strangiato

That's also why they cut songs from the original R30 DVD release -- they didn't want any redundancies with Rio. They later realized that's dumb and it's better to just include the whole concert and no one will care if a few songs overlap. They restored the whole show on the blu-ray reissue.

Video is probably a lost cause for Exit but I have to think they've got the rest of the audio somewhere...

Based on what I've read from past discussions about it, whatever unused film footage from the ESL shoot in Montreal is long gone. Ditto the GUP tour

Btw, did anyone ever notice how opposite ESL and GUP are visually? Where ESL was grainy and dark and underlit in many places giving it a nice atmosphere, GUP was seemingly recorded under the brightest spotlights ever invented. Its TOO well lit! I need to wear a welders mask to watch most of it lol

The "lost footage" thing is really a bummer. The 1981 material was shot on film so maybe filming a full length show on multiple cameras, processing, editing and video transfer would have been costly, so perhaps I can see that they actually didn't even film the entire 2 hour concert with multi-cameras but the 1984 shows taped in Toronto at MLG. That was video and the cost to record both shows in their entirety would have been inconsequential. I was at both shows in MLG in 1984, on the floor and I can confirm that they had the cameras moving about for both nights. If your intention is just to use 1 night (likely the second night), you would still record the first night as a safety. You would look upon the first night as a rehearsal for the crew and the second night is show time. But all it would take is a few video tape cassettes to record the evening. To only have the 60 minutes that was released, as the only surviving material from both nights, would indicate a level of sloppiness and indifference that I don't think the Rush organization was capable of.

The only tricky thing that should be getting in the way is if the original recording format of video used back in 1984 became extinct and they never got it transferred to a more accessible format. I'm not sure what they used but if it was the M format as opposed to betacam, then yeah sure - finding M machines would be a challenge (not impossible).

ESL : with all its sound challenges will remain in my top 5 for sentimental reasons . Love so many different parts of the album

the phaser in Tom S , YYZ drum solo , BB, the Jac L intro, drum fills in La Villa and the trees, transitions from trees into xanadu

The GUP show second night at Maple Leaf Gardens was the footage on the video . 17 years old - was my first Rush show. This was back in the day when you lined up outside a mall the night before tickets went on sale and charged the doors of a Ticket master outlet with cash in hand . Ended up with 1 st row floors GED side way over to the right.

Side One

Overture

Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Side Two

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Closer to the Heart

Side Three

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

Side Four

Tom Sawyer

Natural Science

La Villa Strangiato

Only duplication between those live albums would have been Overture/Temples and the encore bits of Working Man/By Tor/ In The End/ In The Mood

.Looks like about 10 minutes maybe a bit more.

Side One

Overture

Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Side Two

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Closer to the Heart

Side Three

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

Side Four

Tom Sawyer

Natural Science

La Villa Strangiato

Only duplication between those live albums would have been Overture/Temples and the encore bits of Working Man/By Tor/ In The End/ In The Mood

Would've needed to be a triple album to have captured the complete setlist. Maybe that discouraged them?...

That tour actually opened with 2112, but in the ESL video, Limelight is the first song. So, right there, I didn't like it because it didn't seem like a true concert. Also, no drum solo on the video. I guess they had time issues, but to omit the drum solo in a Rush show? That was a bad choice.

Full setlist. If only they could unearth the unused film....

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Beneath, Between & Behind

The Camera Eye

YYZ

Drum Solo

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Closer to the Heart

Tom Sawyer

Vital Signs

Natural Science

Working Man

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

In the Mood

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore: La Villa Strangiato

Oh man, that would probably be the crème de la crème of all their concert videos, just based on pure nostalgia alone. Much less the fact that it's the full Moving Pictures Tour and set list. Just seeing some of the songs on the video that were not on the album is a tease that there probably was a lot more footage originally shot from those shows. They should dig it up and put it together. I'd certainly buy it and watch the hell out of it!

we all would but that footage is long gone. back then videotape was expensive, very bulky and hard to store, so it was routinely recycled. no one thought anyone would care forty years later about the rest of that footage so the tapes were probably degaussed the day after the thing was edited.

• Like 1

Side One

Overture

Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Side Two

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Closer to the Heart

Side Three

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

Side Four

Tom Sawyer

Natural Science

La Villa Strangiato

Would've needed to be a triple album to have captured the complete setlist. Maybe that discouraged them?...

Probably. Can't think of many triple albums that were released after the '70s.

• Like 1