Bohemian Rhapsody

ShowMeDontTell

I think some people thought the movie was going to be a documentary rather than a fictionalized account.

I’m not a huge Queen fan, so I have no idea how much is true or not. I enjoyed the movie. My kids kind of got into Queen because of it.

I'm a big fan and noted the many inaccuracies. But for me that didn't hurt the movie, as I felt they absolutely captured the spirit of the band.

I'm not enough of a fan to know what was accurate and what wasn't. How serious were the inaccuracies? Were they as serious as if there a Rush biopic that had Rutsey playing on the 2nd album?

Lots of stuff music-wise was out of chronological order. I think that's the biggest thing.
  • Like 1

We need a crisis to happen to distract everyone from this.

Does anyone know where Fraroc is?

He's busy doing consulting work with Satan in the management of Hell.*

*(attempt at humor in reference to my comments in a Random Samples thread)

• Like 1

So everyone who was not bothered by the Queen movie's inaccuracies, would you be just as unbothered by a Rush biopic riddled with bullshit?

Actually, the Rush story has exactly the kind of drama Hollywood faked for the Queen movie: A band rising from the ashes to triumphantly reclaim glory. You don't even have to lie about it. It's right there.

• Like 1

So everyone who was not bothered by the Queen movie's inaccuracies, would you be just as unbothered by a Rush biopic riddled with bullshit?

If it were as entertaining as Bohemian Rhapsody, sure. I think Neil would be the most compelling figure.
  • Like 2

If it were as entertaining as Bohemian Rhapsody, sure. I think Neil would be the most compelling figure.

Yeah especially if they make him a lesbian who's married to Ayn Rand.

http://www.ctaw-ct.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/NTE-Logo-Transparent-Background_edited-2.png

• Like 1

Can someone maybe explain to me what some of the more glaring inaccuracies of the movie were? I honestly don't know.

And please no, "In episode 55, when you placed documents in your safe, what was the combination?"* inaccuracies.

*Inspired by the excellent SNL skit with William Shatner at a Star Trek convention.

Queen never broke up.

Freddie Mercury was not diagnosed with AIDS before Live Aid.

Queen was not a last minute addition to Live Aid.

Freddie Mercury was not the first member to release a solo album.

Mike Myers' record producer character never existed.

Overall, the movie was very manipulative and dishonest. Would have a more accurate portrayal ruined Freddie Mercury's legacy?

The movie didn't say specifically that Freddie was the first to release a solo album. Also, iirc, Freddie more or less knew he had AIDS before Live Aid, but didn't tell the band until afterwards. He may not have been officially diagnosed until later.

The only one of those points I would really call manipulative though was the whole Queen breaking up bit. While it's true they never did officially break up, the movie was correct in citing the whole period around Hot Space as especially tense for the band, John and Freddie pushing a very dance and disco oriented sound on Roger and Brian, which is a lot of the reason the album was a failure compared to past releases. They absolutely spent a lot of time in heated arguments and divisive disagreements, but never enough for anyone to announce they were leaving the band or breaking it up... but I don't doubt Freddie would have quietly taken some time off in the heat of the moment.

And I know you didn't mention this, but I've heard some complaints on here about inaccuracies in the timeline as far as what songs were released when. Firstly, there weren't many anachronisms of that kind (the biggest one being Fat Bottomed Girls in 1974). More importantly, if any historical inaccuracies could be forgiven as artistic license, I'd say those would be so.

• Like 1

Can someone maybe explain to me what some of the more glaring inaccuracies of the movie were? I honestly don't know.

And please no, "In episode 55, when you placed documents in your safe, what was the combination?"* inaccuracies.

*Inspired by the excellent SNL skit with William Shatner at a Star Trek convention.

Queen never broke up.

Freddie Mercury was not diagnosed with AIDS before Live Aid.

Queen was not a last minute addition to Live Aid.

Freddie Mercury was not the first member to release a solo album.

Mike Myers' record producer character never existed.

Overall, the movie was very manipulative and dishonest. Would have a more accurate portrayal ruined Freddie Mercury's legacy?

The movie didn't say specifically that Freddie was the first to release a solo album. Also, iirc, Freddie more or less knew he had AIDS before Live Aid, but didn't tell the band until afterwards. He may not have been officially diagnosed until later.

The only one of those points I would really call manipulative though was the whole Queen breaking up bit. While it's true they never did officially break up, the movie was correct in citing the whole period around Hot Space as especially tense for the band, John and Freddie pushing a very dance and disco oriented sound on Roger and Brian, which is a lot of the reason the album was a failure compared to past releases. They absolutely spent a lot of time in heated arguments and divisive disagreements, but never enough for anyone to announce they were leaving the band or breaking it up... but I don't doubt Freddie would have quietly taken some time off in the heat of the moment.

And I know you didn't mention this, but I've heard some complaints on here about inaccuracies in the timeline as far as what songs were released when. Firstly, there weren't many anachronisms of that kind (the biggest one being Fat Bottomed Girls in 1974). More importantly, if any historical inaccuracies could be forgiven as artistic license, I'd say those would be so.

Imagine if there were a Rush movie (in the same vein as Bohemian Rhapsody) made and it stated that Permanent Waves was a 70s ((or 80s)) album!!!

Half of TRF would be cannibalized!

There’d be gang level violence in the cinemas!

We’d never make it to the Moving Pictures segment!!!

:P

:blaze:

• Like 2

http://www.ctaw-ct.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/NTE-Logo-Transparent-Background_edited-2.png

Neil would be an alt-right figure cavorting with shady skinhead groups, driving a wedge between he and the religiously-observant Geddy Lee and, combined with Alex's runaway drug use fueled by his turbulent relationship with his parents who wanted him to become the ophthalmologist his immigrant father could never be, tears the band apart. Neil returns to the family hardware store, Alex descends into Skid Row, and Geddy enters the Yeshiva. Fortunately, a glowing review of Caress of Steel by Village Voice critic Robert Christgau as well as the record label's desire for more experimental prog metal brings them back together, inspiring them to put their personal differences aside and return to the studio where they make the seminal 2112, followed by a triumphant comeback show at Massey Hall capped by an emotionally-powerful performance of Limelight. As the lights begin to fade with the boys locked arm in arm, soaking in the roar of the crowd, the now-clean and ever comical Alex, hearkening back to an earlier, joyful scene involving the band's shared love of The Simpsons yells, "I love you Dr. Zaius!" (thereby evoking a recovered innocence and bringing the movie full circle to emotional closure). Neil and Geddy, doubled over from laughing, straighten and look each other in the eyes, suggesting not only reconciliation but the possibility of future romance.

Why not, it's more exciting than the real thing, and what were you expecting, a documentary?

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Neil would be an alt-right figure cavorting with shady skinhead groups, driving a wedge between he and the religiously-observant Geddy Lee and, combined with Alex's runaway drug use fueled by his turbulent relationship with his parents who wanted him to become the ophthalmologist his immigrant father could never be, tears the band apart. Neil returns to the family hardware store, Alex descends into Skid Row, and Geddy enters the Yeshiva. Fortunately, a glowing review of Caress of Steel by Village Voice critic Robert Christgau as well as the record label's desire for more experimental prog metal brings them back together, inspiring them to put their personal differences aside and return to the studio where they make the seminal 2112, followed by a triumphant comeback show at Massey Hall capped by an emotionally-powerful performance of Limelight. As the lights begin to fade with the boys locked arm in arm, soaking in the roar of the crowd, the now-clean and ever comical Alex, hearkening back to an earlier, joyful scene involving the band's shared love of The Simpsons yells, "I love you Dr. Zaius!" (thereby evoking a recovered innocence and bringing the movie full circle to emotional closure). Neil and Geddy, doubled over from laughing, straighten and look each other in the eyes, suggesting not only reconciliation but the possibility of future romance.

Why not, it's more exciting than the real thing, and what were you expecting, a documentary?

That's great but it needs something else....just to add a little more pizzazz. Oh I got it! They all have AIDS!

Man, I'm starting smell Oscar wafting off this thing!

• Like 1

^^ That's exactly what Damon Lindelof suggested when I showed him my script! He also thought I needed to develop the romance between Neil and Geddy a bit further, and suggested a scene where Neil beats Jann Wenner over the head with one of those pointy WWI German helmets. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

I watched it twice. It's not a good movie.

Agree to disagree, because I'm too deeply invested in Queen to see it as anything less than stellar.

Then you make it clear your opinion is worth overlooking. If you can't be objective, then don't expect to be taken seriously.

^^ That's exactly what Damon Lindelof suggested when I showed him my script! He also thought I needed to develop the romance between Neil and Geddy a bit further, and suggested a scene where Neil beats Jann Wenner over the head with one of those pointy WWI German helmets.

I'm all for developing the romance between Neil and Geddy but I think beating Jan Wenner over the head with a WW1 German helmet might be too unrealistically violent for a biopic about a mild-mannered Canadian prog-rock group. We really want to stay within the realm of believabilty for this thing. So maybe if, during Rush's acceptance speech at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, Neil were to repeatedly swat Wenner in the face for 10 minutes with Rush's Rolling Stone cover issue, it would add some poetic irony to the moment while still being a stand up and cheer moment for the audience. But either way, the entertainment value will be through the roof.

• Like 1

^^ Realism is the key, we wouldn't want non-hard core Rush fans to suspect we are embellishing things, so we can go with Jann get magazine-whipped by Neil at the RRHoF induction. I hope someone important in Hollywood is reading this; I told Lindelof to take a hike, he was getting on my nerves. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Agree to disagree, because I'm too deeply invested in Queen to see it as anything less than stellar.

Then you make it clear your opinion is worth overlooking. If you can't be objective, then don't expect to be taken seriously.

ouch.

lol.

Mick

^^ Realism is the key, we wouldn't want non-hard core Rush fans to suspect we are embellishing things, so we can go with Jann get magazine-whipped by Neil at the RRHoF induction. I hope someone important in Hollywood is reading this; I told Lindelof to take a hike, he was getting on my nerves.

Well believe it or not, I already pitched the script to Michael Bay and Jon Peters and they're totally into it.....but only if we work in a few transformers and a huge mechanical spider. Well as you can imagine I was completely disgusted by the idea and looked them straight in the eyes and said, "Sure! We can do that!"

• Like 1

^^ I'm in! With Michael Bay in charge we can totally swing having The Scorpions do the soundtrack (Scorpions totally rock and most people won't really know the difference between them and Rush)!
  • Like 1

Nitpick: being objective about art and culture practically defeats the purpose of art and culture. It isn't my subjectivity that would nullify any argument I make, but my acute bias.

Not a nitpick: This is an internet forum, where people freely share and discuss their opinions. My opinion is worth sharing if I deem it to be, and it's worth discussing if others deem it to be. If you'd rather overlook my opinions on Queen related topics, then go ahead. No one's stopping you. Segue, it bewilders me that we're friends in every other topic, but you quite frequently criticize me for my obsession with Queen whenever it comes up. I don't ever tell you to stop gushing over Taylor Swift, despite the fact that I can't stand her music. Please give me the same space with Queen.

• Like 1