The coolest instrument in the world. Period.

thestand

I first discovered the Chapman Stick some years ago. Tim "Herb" Alexander temporarily left Primus, and was in a band called Laundry. The cd I bought was titled,"Blacktounge" If you love odd time, tight single, doubles, and triples, and just hearing Tim play...buy it!!

About the Stick....I was wondering how they were creating these strange, "Bass-like" sounds and tones. After reading the liner notes..I discovered the name of this cool tool. I never bought anything else from Laundry, because I heard the lead singer left, and Tim was doing some vocals. Sorry...I didn`t want to hear him sing!!

I still play that cd alot.

The stick is amazing!!

Ya`ll take care

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 26 2006, 12:53 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Mar 26 2006, 09:35 AM)
Digging up this old thread again.

I just found a very good performance of the stick over on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4CGO6VSLfc

Cool stuff. Would've been nice to see him more close-up, but the cameraperson wasn't very good.

Yes, very cool. The stick sounds like a cross between a banjo and a sitar.

QUOTE (Dbl-Strk @ Mar 28 2006, 07:23 PM)
I first discovered the Chapman Stick some years ago. Tim "Herb" Alexander temporarily left Primus, and was in a band called Laundry. The cd I bought was titled,"Blacktounge" If you love odd time, tight single, doubles, and triples, and just hearing Tim play...buy it!!
About the Stick....I was wondering how they were creating these strange, "Bass-like" sounds and tones. After reading the liner notes..I discovered the name of this cool tool. I never bought anything else from Laundry, because I heard the lead singer left, and Tim was doing some vocals. Sorry...I didn`t want to hear him sing!!
I still play that cd alot.
The stick is amazing!!

Ya`ll take care

ohmy.gif I didn't know anyone who's heard Laundry!!! I have that album too!!!

Hey Stand...you love it, don`t you!!

It`s in my car right now!!

Ya`ll take care

Hey thanks for the Stick info. I always thought it was kinda strange the way a guitar was set up to begin with. You have to try and pick or strum with one hand and then try to chord with the other. Why not just tap that mofo with both hands and roll with it! To hell with a pick. lol

Just checked out Stick.com and I really like the SB8 bass stick. cool.gif

Another Greg Howard on the Stick link. Shorter one.

Anyone else a fan of liquid tension experiment. (what's the overall verdict on Dream Theater on this board btw? rush fans seem very indifferent)

Tony Levin plays the stick on a lot of their material and it's well worth a listen. Particularly Acid Rain, there's a video on google, and the stick playing is fantastic.

Looks awfully hard to play though!

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Mar 28 2006, 10:13 PM)
This is the coolest instrument ever!

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Haken/PR/Continuum.jpg

I'd love to get a Continuum.

indeed it is the coolest instrument ever. And I also would like one. The intro to Octavarium is simply chilling.

QUOTE (exitstageleft @ Apr 10 2006, 08:51 PM)
Anyone else a fan of liquid tension experiment. (what's the overall verdict on Dream Theater on this board btw? rush fans seem very indifferent)

Tony Levin plays the stick on a lot of their material and it's well worth a listen. Particularly Acid Rain, there's a video on google, and the stick playing is fantastic.

Looks awfully hard to play though!

I believe there is a LTE thread in the music forum. I enjoy them, and I know others do.

And for Dream Theater, there are people who think they're a Rush ripoff and disregard them, there's people who love them, and then there's people that are indifferent to them (I'm the latter).

And Chapman Stick is actually fairly simplistic to play. After awhile you don't look at it as a guitar but as a keyboard. The only thing that takes getting used to is the different hand position.

I once saw a street musician playing a Stick in Northampton, Mass. He was awesome; playing melody lines and bass lines all at once, and creating unbelievable music. I couldn't believe my eyes or my ears.

Coolest instrument? How about the Theremin? icon_alienjig.gif

http://www.thereminworld.com/pics/news/ClaraRockmore_sm.jpg

You "play" it without touching it; you move your hand closer and further away from an antenae to change the pitch, and move your other hand closer and further away from another antenae to change the volume. Weird! It's been used in 50s Sci-Fi movies, by the Beach Boys in "Good Vibrations," and by Todd Rundgren, among others.

Edited by GeddyRulz

If you want to study the Stick, get King Crimson's "Neal and Jack and Me" on DVD, which is 2 live shows that they recently put on DVD. Tony Levin really does some cool stuff. "Elephant Talk" and "Indiscipline" are two of my favorites. Also, a guy named Gary Jibilian plays the NS Stick. I jammed with him in 2002. He does some really cool stuff with just him and drums by doing loops first, then playing ontop of the phrase sampler. He's out in L.A. right now.

Gary Jibilian's site