2018-2019 College Slavery, err, Football Thread

pjbear05

okay, some predictions for this weekend:

Alabama beats Georgia in a replay of last years NCG, and in the same way -- by gradually taking over the game the longer it goes on.

Washington beats Utah, making Auburn (3-5 in SEC play) the rightful Pac 12 Champion.

Oklahoma beats Texas with a score of 139-138 (not an overtime game, that is the score at the end of regulation)

Ohio State, fresh off a beat down of pretender Michigan, chokes against Northwestern. Northwestern becomes Big 10 Champ with a 9-4 record, with 3 losses to out of conference teams including Duke and Akron. (Big 10 champ later goes on to lose its bowl game, ending the season 9-5)

UCF scrapes out a win against Memphis. Delusional people scream that this is further proof UCF is being cheated out of a rightful playoff appearance.

Dabo Swinney finds it difficult to convince his Clemson team that a championship game against a 7-5 opponent should be taken seriously instead of as a joke. The announcers assigned to that game find it difficult to convince potential viewers of the same. Therein lies a seed of hope for Pitt?

If this goes according to your theory the committee will make ND the one seed, having beaten the ACC and Big Ten champs.

Nah, if Bama beats Georgia, it will be the top seed, even if everything above happens just as I predicted ;)

If ND is #3 on the current flimsy basis, why can't it move up based on an even flimsier one?

Well, it is easy to criticize a particular team being at a particular rank. Let us say ND doesn't deserve to be ranked at 3 currently. Who would you nominate to be in their place? Any pick you make could be argued against on rational grounds.

It's surprising at how shallow the candidate pool is but I'd take anOSU, Oklahoma, and Georgia ( in reverse order) before ND.

Alabama beats Georgia in a replay of last years NCG, and in the same way -- by gradually taking over the game the longer it goes on.

Washington beats Utah, making Auburn (3-5 in SEC play) the rightful Pac 12 Champion.

Oklahoma beats Texas with a score of 139-138 (not an overtime game, that is the score at the end of regulation)

Ohio State, fresh off a beat down of pretender Michigan, chokes against Northwestern. Northwestern becomes Big 10 Champ with a 9-4 record, with 3 losses to out of conference teams including Duke and Akron. (Big 10 champ later goes on to lose its bowl game, ending the season 9-5)

UCF scrapes out a win against Memphis. Delusional people scream that this is further proof UCF is being cheated out of a rightful playoff appearance.

Dabo Swinney finds it difficult to convince his Clemson team that a championship game against a 7-5 opponent should be taken seriously instead of as a joke. The announcers assigned to that game find it difficult to convince potential viewers of the same. Therein lies a seed of hope for Pitt?

If this goes according to your theory the committee will make ND the one seed, having beaten the ACC and Big Ten champs.

Nah, if Bama beats Georgia, it will be the top seed, even if everything above happens just as I predicted ;)

If ND is #3 on the current flimsy basis, why can't it move up based on an even flimsier one?

Well, it is easy to criticize a particular team being at a particular rank. Let us say ND doesn't deserve to be ranked at 3 currently. Who would you nominate to be in their place? Any pick you make could be argued against on rational grounds.

It's surprising at how shallow the candidate pool is but I'd take anOSU, Oklahoma, and Georgia ( in reverse order) before ND.

Fortunately, all of those teams will be playing this weekend.

That should serve to clarify the picture.

So, if all three win, who is in?

Good question.

Hmmm.

Georgia should be in over Bama. They both would have one loss, and GA won the head to head in the friggin SEC championship game. A huge controversy will erupt again over Bama possibly being in the playoff as a 2nd team from the SEC. I suspect they would be (assuming GA doesn't blow them out -- and I don't see that happening. If GA wins, it will be a close win.)

ND is in by their being ND and going undefeated to this point.

As for the other team, I think Clemson is in, because there is no way in hell they are going to lose to Pitt. In my scenario above, I no where said I was predicting Pitt to win. Just that they might have a seed of hope. I expect Clemson to crush them.

So, for people who don't want two SEC teams in the playoff, the best scenario is that Bama beats Georgia.

That makes Bama, Clemson, ND, and one other team. I will go with Oklahoma.

Good question.

Hmmm.

Georgia should be in over Bama. They both would have one loss, and GA won the head to head in the friggin SEC championship game. A huge controversy will erupt again over Bama possibly being in the playoff as a 2nd team from the SEC. I suspect they would be (assuming GA doesn't blow them out -- and I don't see that happening. If GA wins, it will be a close win.)

As for the other team, I think Clemson is in, because there is no way in hell they are going to lose to Pitt. In my scenario above, I no where said I was predicting Pitt to win. Just that they might have a seed of hope. I expect Clemson to crush them.

So, for people who don't want two SEC teams in the playoff, the best scenario is that Bama beats Georgia.

If both OU and OSU win, I don't see how OSU can pass OU, the Sooners have the much tougher opponent.

• Like 2

Good question.

Hmmm.

If both OU and OSU win, I don't see how OSU can pass OU, the Sooners have the much tougher opponent.

Well, that is a big if, of course.

OU might not make it past Texas. I really consider that a toss up game. Might as well flip a coin on it.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 1

Good question.

Hmmm.

OU might not make it past Texas. I really consider that a toss up game. Might as well flip a coin on it.

Whoever recovers the first onside kick...really, why do any of these Big XII teams surrender possession willingly.

• Like 2

If the AP and coaches moved OSU up 4 spots, and ahead of UCF, then it is plausible that if UCF wins despite losing their QB, they should at least get some consideration if the rest of your predictions are correct.

If the AP and coaches moved OSU up 4 spots, and ahead of UCF, then it is plausible that if UCF wins despite losing their QB, they should at least get some consideration if the rest of your predictions are correct.

Just stop.

There is no rational way on God's Green Earth that UCF is getting into the playoff. And that is good and just.

Just stop.

There is no rational way on God's Green Earth that UCF is getting into the playoff. And that is good and just.

Whereas, if Alabama loses it's conference title game to Georgia and gets in again, that will be a travesty.
  • Like 2

Just stop.

Whereas, if Alabama loses it's conference title game to Georgia and gets in again, that will be a travesty.

Bama is probably going to win, though, which will spare you the outrage

Just stop.

Bama is probably going to win, though, which will spare you the outrage

As disgusting as it is to say, this is maybe the best Alabama team for quite a few years. If they lose, it will be an anomaly.

• Like 1

I read an article earlier today that was arguing that, if Bama loses to Georgia, Bama is not guaranteed to go into the playoff anyway. A lot may depend on what happens with Ohio State and Oklahoma. I found the argument quite plausible.

I would be shocked if they don't make it after a loss, they'd still be favored in Vegas in every possible matchup barring a significant injury or blowout. Edited by laughedatbytime

Good question.

Hmmm.

Whoever recovers the first onside kick...really, why do any of these Big XII teams surrender possession willingly.

So, naturally, Oklahoma defers opening possession to Texas. Okla fans go "WTF?" Texas fans say "thank you." Texas promptly scores touchdown.

Good win for Oklahoma in Big 12 Championship Game, in which they demonstrated an ability to play defense.

They have made their case for being in the playoff. Let us see what happens in the other games today . . .

The Sooners have done all they can, now let's hope for an emphatic victory by Georgia and Alabama drops out of the top 4. But being 1 of the media darlings, they'd probably still be in.

A joke if they lose and still get in.
  • Like 1