What are you binge watching lately?

goose

On 3/19/2024 at 11:18 AM, blackhawkrush said:

'Harry and Paul'. A bit too modern for me but we'll give it a shot.  

Already in love with it. Football fouls and faking them, Polish girls speaking more in Russian than Polish, Laurel and Hardy in Brokeback Mountain...  :popcorn:

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I have some.

Well at first you're thinking ok Jeff Bridges is the Old Man, but then you're thinking maybe it's John Lithgow, and then later you're thinking it must be Joel Grey. Then the name that everything seems to revolve around, Hamzad, is he really the Old Man? In reality they're all The Old Man, especially if you think of the Old Man as someone's dad. The daughter starts off as a peripheral figure, just a voice on the phone that we never expect to see, then later she becomes a more integral part of the story. And in the end it's the daughter that the whole story seems to revolve around after all, not the Jeff Bridges character or Hamzad or the John Lithgow guy.

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Well at first you're thinking ok Jeff Bridges is the Old Man, but then you're thinking maybe it's John Lithgow, and then later you're thinking it must be Joel Grey. Then the name that everything seems to revolve around, Hamzad, is he really the Old Man? In reality they're all The Old Man, especially if you think of the Old Man as someone's dad. The daughter starts off as a peripheral figure, just a voice on the phone that we never expect to see, then later she becomes a more integral part of the story. And in the end it's the daughter that the whole story seems to revolve around after all, not the Jeff Bridges character or Hamzad or the John Lithgow guy.

***SPOILERS AHEAD****

Spoiler

I guess the thing that "bothered" me -- from a narrative standpoint -- is that the bad guy won. That's not really that unusual, exactly, but we have the daughter character, seemingly devoted to Bridges, seemingly a basically modern, western woman deciding (did she decide? was she a hostage?) to go live with her fundamentalist father in the mountains of some god-forsaken war zone. It made no sense. Further, the Amy Brennaman character was important, then wasn't. How'd she get home from the international terrorist banking conference? Does she have a fake passport now?

I know this story comes from some pretty successful books, but it felt to me -- as a non-book reader -- that they were making it up as they went along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

***SPOILERS AHEAD****

Reveal hidden contents

I guess the thing that "bothered" me -- from a narrative standpoint -- is that the bad guy won. That's not really that unusual, exactly, but we have the daughter character, seemingly devoted to Bridges, seemingly a basically modern, western woman deciding (did she decide? was she a hostage?) to go live with her fundamentalist father in the mountains of some god-forsaken war zone. It made no sense. Further, the Amy Brennaman character was important, then wasn't. How'd she get home from the international terrorist banking conference? Does she have a fake passport now?

I know this story comes from some pretty successful books, but it felt to me -- as a non-book reader -- that they were making it up as they went along.

They're supposed to be doing a second season, though I'm not sure when it's scheduled for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicken hawk said:

I kind of like the new show Apples never fall on Peacock.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyFiZCpzkI2AZAOvCdfacv1bMRkzfBq5c2gdyHv9Z8ucoEu11D

On the wife and I's mutual watch list.

1 hour ago, blackhawkrush said:

Is it another one of those 'The Ring' type of deals? 

I've only watched the first episode and it's nothing to write home about so far. Not much atmosphere, actors with no charisma or presence, a weak story, even though it's based on the Henry James story The Turn of the Screw. It's only episode 1 though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, treeduck said:

I've only watched the first episode and it's nothing to write home about so far. Not much atmosphere, actors with no charisma or presence, a weak story, even though it's based on the Henry James story The Turn of the Screw. It's only episode 1 though. 

May I suggest Get Smart?    :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is that what you're watching?

I own the entire series. The 5th season got a little weird. No wonder they got cancelled. Still, gotta love Mel Brooks. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

I own the entire series. The 5th season got a little weird. No wonder they got cancelled. Still, gotta love Mel Brooks. 

Weird? How?

Weird? How?

I don't know. After 86 and 99 became parents, the show got a bit stale. Same can be said about I Dream of Jeannie, when Tony and Jeannie got married. And all the kids involved in the last season of Green Acres spelled doom for that show as well. 

• Like 1