The duckBlaze GODS of the Cinema thread

JohnnyBlaze

GODS of the Cinema  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your top 5 cinema gods from this group.

• Gene Hackman
    • Spencer Tracy
    • Gene Wilder
    • Robert Shaw
    • Anthony Quinn
    • James Coburn
    • Morgan Freeman
    • Russell Crowe
    • Mickey Rourke
    • Michael Keaton
    • Edward G. Robinson
    • Ed Harris
    • Peter Finch
    • Tom Berenger
    • William Hurt
    • John Hurt
    • Charles Bronson
    • Jeff Goldblum
    • Willem Dafoe
    • Jeremy Irons
    • John Cusack
    • Forrest Whittaker
    • Nick Nolte
    • Liam Neeson
    • Robert Mitchum
    • Harvey Keitel
    • Bill Murray
    • Eli Wallach
    • Sylvester Stallone
    • Alec Guinness
    • Viggo Mortenson
    • Cary Grant
    • James Stewart
    • Samuel L. Jackson
    • James Garner
    • Tommy Lee Jones
    • Richard Burton
    • Max Von Sydow
    • Javier Bardem
    • Kurt Russell
  2. 2. Pick your next top 5 from this group.

• Sidney Poitier
    • Rod Steiger
    • Charleton Heston
    • Yul Brynner
    • Denzel Washington
    • Paul Newman
    • James Woods
    • Alan Arkin
    • Ernest Borgnine
    • Robin Williams
    • Jeff Bridges
    • Yaphett Kotto
    • Steve McQueen
    • Philip Seymour Hoffman
    • John Malkovich
    • Laurence Fishburne
    • Michael Caine
    • Laurence Olivier
    • Anthony Perkins
    • James Caan
    • Ralph Fiennes
    • Robert Downey Jr.
    • John Gielgud
    • John Cassavetes
    • Donald Pleasance
    • Christopher Lee
    • Peter Cushing
    • Ray Liotta
    • Malcolm McDowell
    • Lee Marvin
    • Jack Nicholson
    • Anthony Hopkins
    • Daniel Day Lewis
    • Gary Oldman
    • Henry Fonda
    • Gregory Peck
    • Jack Lemmon
    • Dennis Hopper
    • Charles Grodin
    • Walter Matthau
  3. 3. Do it again. Pick your top 5 from this gang.

• Kirk Douglas
    • Burt Lancaster
    • Harrison Ford
    • Peter Sellers
    • Robert Duvall
    • Orson Welles
    • Kevin Spacey
    • Clint Eastwood
    • Peter O' Toole
    • Ben Kingsley
    • George C. Scott
    • Jason Robards
    • Tom Hanks
    • Charles Laughton
    • James Cagney
    • Val Kilmer
    • Herbert Lom
    • William Holden
    • Christopher Plummer
    • Christopher Walken
    • Joe Pesci
    • Ian McKellen
    • Jon Voight
    • Geoffrey Rush
    • Christian Bale
    • Martin Sheen
    • Oliver Reed
    • Patrick Stewart
    • Richard Harris
    • Michael Fassbender
    • Brian Dennehy
    • Dustin Hoffman
    • Donald Sutherland
    • Rutger Hauer
    • Roy Scheider
    • Richard Dreyfuss
    • Vincent Price
    • Al Pacino
    • Robert DeNiro
    • Roddy McDowell

You are fuckking with me. Malcolm is on it.

I could swear he wasn't on it before and Donald Pleasence is on there now too!

:LOL:

McDowell was always there. You didn't see him. The only ones I changed since I made the thread were Al and Bobby.

Well what about Pleasence?

Him too! I only changed Al and Bobby. I trusted that you didn't see Pleasance but you must've skipped him. That's all there is to it.

Hmmmmm

What are you "hmmm"ing about? :P

With 120 names lined up, it's easy to make a mistake and not spot someone in that crowd.

http://firstlook.org/wp-uploads/sites/1/2014/08/crowd.jpg

And I still haven't voted!!! :unsure:

I've not voted yet either. I need more time to think.

:LOL: :LOL: But it's your poll, I was thinking you already knew your favorites!

duck's favorites aren't mine. Compiling and excluding some from the list was a task in itself. He broke my arm and I twisted his bill in the pre-thread deliberations!

Well maybe not all of them are my favourites either, but most of them are.

Right! Anyone that I didn't suggest, I agree with and believe is worthy to be here.

We knew some had to be sacrificed but I'm satisfied with everyone on this finalized list

• Like 1

My surprise was Forrest Whittaker but I see he has another vote. :cheers: and :ebert:

Yes, I had almost forgotten him in the latter stages when we were thinking of guys. But then I thought Ghost Dog and Last King of Scotland and....

A real sleeper, but I've never seen a performance of his where he wasn't mesmerizing in some way.

He was great in the Crying Game.

I like Forrest but I didn't suggest him, mostly because at the time i was suggesting so many other guys. So it was JB who brought him in.

Yup. At the very start I had that list of 60 or so. Then, you bombarded me with 3 or 4 messages with 20 names at a time. From there we started chopping, debating, trading, etc. Then I recompiled the names. Afterwards, we chopped that too and had some last minute names drop in. Whittaker was one of those last minute names added in who was easy to agree to. Max Von Sydow too.

I have some more complaints... :P

no John Wayne, Bruce Willis, Kevin Costner, Rod Taylor...

otherwise great list. :notworthy: :clap:

I like Rod Taylor but to be honest his name never came up in the discussions. I forgot about him. His legend is mostly built around the Time Machine, The Birds and some great fight scenes with William Smith and Ernest Borgnine.

John Wayne I did think of but I know JB doesn't like him so I didn't try and force him into the poll.

Bruce is ok in small doses but he's not great, he's just Bruce.

Costner I don't rate at all.

Yup, Rod just slipped my mind but if he came up I probably would've argued not to have him in place of some of the last additions.

Bruce...yup, he's ok but that's it for me.

John Wayne...I was ready to fight if he was suggested!

Along those same lines, I thought about suggesting Mel Gibson but I knew you don't like him so I didn't even try. Besides, I recently saw Ransom and thought he didn't need to be inlcuded with these gods. He's not THAT good.

Hey, didn't Steve Smith claim that ALL of us Yanks only like Gibson and action movies?

Costner...at his very best, he's alright. I wasn't going to suggest him and I knew you weren't either. So, Kevin was doomed before the thread idea even came up. :LOL:

Interestingly, one of Costner's best movies is one that is absolutely never mentioned: Fandango. He's best when he's playing the average joe (ex: Fandango, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams) and not some detective or hero.

• Like 3

That was f***ing hard.

Group 2 and 3 especially!!!

You guys are mean!!

How am I supposed to pick just 5?

:hail:

The groups fell into place pretty much randomly. There were maybe just half a dozen guys that were put into different groups because of their godliness.

Group 2 is the hardest for me. And I still haven't chosen! I haven't looked at which TRFers picked exactly who but I'm sure the duck hasn't voted yet either.

• Like 2

I have some more complaints... :P

no John Wayne, Bruce Willis, Kevin Costner, Rod Taylor...

otherwise great list. :notworthy: :clap:

I like Rod Taylor but to be honest his name never came up in the discussions. I forgot about him. His legend is mostly built around the Time Machine, The Birds and some great fight scenes with William Smith and Ernest Borgnine.

John Wayne I did think of but I know JB doesn't like him so I didn't try and force him into the poll.

Bruce is ok in small doses but he's not great, he's just Bruce.

Costner I don't rate at all.

Yup, Rod just slipped my mind but if he came up I probably would've argued not to have him in place of some of the last additions.

Bruce...yup, he's ok but that's it for me.

John Wayne...I was ready to fight if he was suggested!

Along those same lines, I thought about suggesting Mel Gibson but I knew you don't like him so I didn't even try. Besides, I recently saw Ransom and thought he didn't need to be inlcuded with these gods. He's not THAT good.

Hey, didn't Steve Smith claim that ALL of us Yanks only like Gibson and action movies?

Costner...at his very best, he's alright. I wasn't going to suggest him and I knew you weren't either. So, Kevin was doomed before the thread idea even came up. :LOL:

Interestingly, one of Costner's best movies is one that is absolutely never mentioned: Fandango. He's best when he's playing the average joe (ex: Fandango, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams) and not some detective or hero.

I remember when Costner first burst onto the scene around the mid 80's and some media people were describing him as being like Jimmy Stewart. I think they said the same thing about Nick Cage! :LOL:

Thanks for putting in Kurt Russell! :heart: :heart: :heart: Actually he has quite a body of film work over 50 + years. :)

You're just interested in his BODY!!!! :hail:

Oh yeah! :heart: And he definitely still looks like this 30 years later! (Actually he looks like Patrick Swayze here- how did that happen . . . .)

cK3rfIjm.jpg

Where's Bogie?

I thought about him, I just didn't expect anyone would vote for him. I made sure Edward G Robinson was in though.

Why would you think that? Bogie is among the top 25 actors in history. Hell, some sites have him ranked in the top 10.

What does Edward G have to do with Bogie?

Where's Bogie?

I thought about him, I just didn't expect anyone would vote for him. I made sure Edward G Robinson was in though.

Why would you think that? Bogie is among the top 25 actors in history. Hell, some sites have him ranked in the top 10.

What does Edward G have to do with Bogie?

Same era, both known for being in gangster films and they starred together in Key Largo, Brother Orchid, Bullets or Ballots, Kid Galahad and Dr Clitterhouse.

I done voted now!
  • Like 1

Hmmm...interesting poll. Most of my answers were more to do with variety of body of work. How memorable was this actor over the course of his lifetime, what kind of work did he do, what kind of films was he in? Popularity came into play for a few and older more classic actors didn't necessarily make the cut unless they had the charisma to carry it out. Hard to say...a lot of older films just aren't that well acted, wooden really, or over-acted. But some older actors I just love. Robert Mitchum for example. I've seen his entire body of film. Not a lot of truly excellent films there, good ones, yes, but most are just ok, some are downright silly (Night of the Hunter-*snort* Bahahaha!) I loved Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, though. But he himself had a presence unlike many other actors of his time. Actors like Tommy Lee Jones, I've love him, even though basically he always plays himself. But the movies he's in are usually fantastic. From The Executioner's Song to now. And he himself, like Mitchum, has such presence as himself, A kind of magnetism. That makes other people in the film fade to the background. Actors like John Malkovich and Jeremy Irons have a way of speaking and delivering their lines that make their movies addictive to watch. Harrison Ford is a dork, in almost every movie he makes. But a magnetic dork. He can't run and he does weird things with his hands. But the man can act. Loved him since American Graffiti. I don't know, a lot of these guys and their popularity as far as my own judgement of them has a lot to do with how do they make me feel in a film? Does the idea of a movie coming out with one of them in it, or one coming on t.v. make me feel something. Do I look forward to it? And a lot of that has to do with stage presence. Some of the actors I didn't choose are fantastic award winning actors, that I love. But not everyone can be a god, even God (Morgan Freeman, whom I didn't pick because his body of work didn't warrant it, but who is undeniably charismatic). ;)
  • Like 1

Oops. In typical fashion I didn't read the directions. I have no idea if I kept it to 5 choices or not. Dammit, I thought this was a serious poll. Acting is serious dammit!