Great Vocal Performances By Bad Singers

ReRushed

Yeah. Bob Dylan is an awful singer. His voice is horrible. He mumbles. He's nasal. I got it. He's bad. But did you ever really listen to some of his singing? Damn, the vocals on "Like a Rolling Stone" are fantastic. Confident. Powerful. Honest. He can also sing soulfully. Check out the song "Sign on the Window". He's damn gospel blues master. Bad voice, great singer.

Name some great vocal performance by bad singers. You know there are a lot of them in rock music.

• Like 1

First song that comes to mind for me is the Final Cut- Roger Waters/Pink Floyd

Mick

I love that song. Roger Waters raises the bar with his emotions. It's vocal therapy.

it really is therapy.

t chokes me up everytime.

Mick

Holy Wars... The Punishment Due - Megadeth

Perfect vocal for the song. Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 3

Yeah Mustaine is another one. Not a really good voice but fits the music.

Shit throw in Hetfield. He can't sing worth a f**k either. At least not outside of a studio.

• Like 2

Shit throw in Hetfield. He can't sing worth a f**k either. At least not outside of a studio.

It's the attitude. The confidence. The cockiness. They both growl a lot, correct?

• Like 1

It's the attitude. The confidence. The cockiness. They both growl a lot, correct?

Not really growl. Mustaine has a a whine to his voice and its hard to describe Hetfield. They help Hetfield out in the studio quite a bit. He sounds better on record than he actually is and that is exposed if you ever see them live. Mustaine sounds the same either way. Or at least these things were true the last time I saw these bands. I haven't seen either band live in quite some time.
  • Like 1

I would call these people unconventional but not bad. Bad is unable to control pitch. Bob Dylan has an unconventional timbre but he is capable of controlling his pitch.
  • Like 3

And I suppose Arya does what suits Slayer's music best... just not usually my taste.

I would call these people unconventional but not bad. Bad is unable to control pitch. Bob Dylan has an unconventional timbre but he is capable of controlling his pitch.

That's a good point. A lot of people can't get past the timbre or the tone of a voice, so they think it's bad singing. Pitch is really important.

• Like 2

That's a good point. A lot of people can't get past the timbre or the tone of a voice, so they think it's bad singing. Pitch is really important.

True. James Labrie can clearly sing, I just don't like the sound of his voice.

• Like 2

"Perfect Day" by Lou Reed.

Heroin - The Velvet Underground

Lou Reed is excellent at what he does.

• Like 2

I would agree with this.

I think about it in terms of range. What else could they sing? When I think of a good vocalist, I am thinking of someone who can do a variety of styles. Rock, pop, country. The people we are talking about generally have a niche and they would be horrible if the stepped outside of that niche.

I would agree with this.

I think about it in terms of range. What else could they sing? When I think of a good vocalist, I am thinking of someone who can do a variety of styles. Rock, pop, country. The people we are talking about generally have a niche and they would be horrible if the stepped outside of that niche.

I think that goes both ways. I doubt the three tenors would sound good singing metal.

Johnny Thunders in songs like Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory, Disappointed In You, Society Makes Me Sad, Much Rather Be With The Boys - I love his voice and sincerity

Just like his guitar playing - his genius was in his ability to get attitude and emotion out thru whatever it was he was using

Edited by Lucas

I would agree with this.

I think that goes both ways. I doubt the three tenors would sound good singing metal.

Point taken.

The LA punk band X's lead female vocalist sings horribly off-pitch, but it works brilliantly.

(Music starts at 2:35)

I saw them open for Pearl Jam in 2011... I know they're a cult band, but really couldn't get them.

• Like 1