Is Brian Johnson a good or bad vocalist?

Texas King

Is Brian Johnson a good or bad vocalist?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brian Johnson a good or bad vocalist?

I don't get all the Brian Johnson bashing. He was good. And Bon Scott wasn't all that as a singer.

Which makes Bon Scott all the more irreplaceable .. The fan bonds with the performer, the personality

Back a few months ago, Steve Smith posted something that I had never heard: that Heavy Metal Kids singer Gary Holton was set to be the original replacement for Bon Scott, but ultimately turned the gig down ..

I couldn't find anything to back that up, but when Gary starts singing here, it makes some sense to me

Edited by Lucas

However replacing Bon Scott was simply ridiculous.

I love a band called KROKUS. Marc Storace was going to get the job not Brian but Arista Records wouldn't let Marc out of his KROKUS deal.

I met Marc and the band 10 years ago in Reno. My ex wife and I partied with them all night. Great guys. Marc told me right to my face that the story I just told you was true.

Interesting. I'd heard Dan McCafferty from Nazareth was their first choice but he didn't want to leave his band / replace Bon...

Krokus and Nazareth, I spent so much time listening to both these bands back in the day.. Both these guys would've been amazing in AC/DC. Probably better than Johnson.

IMO Brian Johnson gave AC/DC a much more generic sound compared to Bon Scott

"Now your messin' with a, a son of a bitch...."

I love that band! YES! GREAT CALL!

"HAIR OF THE DOG" is a masterpiece!!

Back a few months ago, Steve Smith posted something that I had never heard: that Heavy Metal Kids singer Gary Holton was set to be the original replacement for Bon Scott, but ultimately turned the gig down ..

I couldn't find anything to back that up, but when Gary starts singing here, it makes some sense to me

I can definitely see/hear it.

Not a good vocalist but he gets the job done for the stylings of AC/DC. I couldn't see someone like Dickinson or Halford sitting in...

He's not going to belt out any ballads, but that's not the point. AC/DC doesn't need good vocalists, it needs great AC/DC singers. Brian Johnson was a great AC/DC singer. He adds attitude, character and power to so many great songs.

I agree with this, but like you said "AC/DC doesn't need good vocalists" and that's certainly the bar they've set for themselves when selecting vocalists.

Here´s Brian on stage in 2001, singing two Zep classics:

http://youtu.be/TA1p88GIgV0

He pulls off he notes well, but can't delivery most of them on time in the first song. A singer still needs to sing on queue. lol

The backing band is decent.

Fwiw, I like AC/DC. Or, at least, I like BiB.

Edited by stoopid

As a pure singer he's a bag of shite, but that's a whole different question than do his vocals serve the band/song/album? The answe to that is yes. That is more important than merely being a great vocalist. Celine Dion is a better singer, but who wants her fronting AC/DC? So what does vocal prowess actually mean on the end?

The fit matters much more.

Edited by Presto-digitation