Please don't shoot me till you read to the end

IwillchooseFreeWill

Before I got absorbed by Rushmania, I bounced around among a lot of groups. I was never a metal fan except for Deep Purple, early Led Zep, and Def Leppard. The rest were not complicated enough. I collected off-beat bands through the 70's and 80's, from the Cars to Nerfherder to Timbuk3, with Rush a constant. Then I moved to Australia and adopted a lot of Aussie bands from Mondo Rock to Powderfinger to Eskimo Joe. In the 2000's I liked Coldplay and even invested considerable time and effort in seeing them live in Sydney. I've been listening to nothing but Rush for quite a while now and decided to tidy up my iPod to get rid of stuff with no staying power. I listened to Coldplay again and wondered what hell I ever saw (or heard) in them. Yes, some catchy tunes but how simplistic! Where are the weird time signatures and literate lyrics? Too many love songs and nothing about free will or randomness of life or even the birth of the atom bomb. Forgive me Rush for going astray but I'm back forever in your thrall!
  • Like 2

If anything, I'm more disappointed that you're love of Rush has negatively impacted your love of other great music.

Coldplay is a great band, expecially live. They're not my favorite, and they do have a well earned reputation as nice guys and wusses, but they make great music and put on incredible live shows and there's nothing wrong with being nice and a little wussy.

If you want musically interesting Coldplay, revisit Viva La Vida, Mylo Xyloto, some of X&Y, and the chord structures (and guitar tunings) on Parachutes. Not quite as standard as you'd predict. "Shiver" is an excellent example. However, often the music isn't as complex and progressive as Rush, but this doesn't make it bad. There's room enough in life for both "Clocks" and "La Villa Strangiato." They have different appeals, but they do both have appeal.

Lyrically Coldplay are one of the most relatable bands in the world to a lot of folks, myself included. The lyrics may be too simple, overly seeped in relationship-related depression, and extremely general...but I and millions of others still find them very true and very relatable. I love Rush. I love Coldplay. Rush lyrics get in my head and make me feel empowered. Coldplay lyrics get in my heart and make me look deeper into my relationship related emotions. I like having both in my life. I don't see why you feel you can't have both as well.

Enjoy what you want to, not what you think you aught to.

• Like 1

This sounds like you're worried about listening to the right thing. Nothing wrong with Coldplay. The only thing I'd argue with you about is DP or zep being metal but I'm not terribly concerned about it. I listen to a lot of music depending on the mood. Steely Dan, mastodon, Beatles, the Sundays, acoustic alchemy, snoop dogg, smashing pumpkins, ELO, etc.... Even the Eagles which is the one that usually pisses people off.
  • Like 1

I said DP etc. were metal because that's as heavy as my musical tastes ever went. No Judas Priest, Black Sabbath etc. Tull yes. Coldplay were great to sing along to and they put on a great show in Sydney. But I'm afraid Rush has spoiled me. Yes I still love Viva la Vida and Paradise. The band is really tight and operate as a unit like Rush. Chris Martin is not in control, merely the front man.

I said DP etc. were metal because that's as heavy as my musical tastes ever went. No Judas Priest, Black Sabbath etc. Tull yes. Coldplay were great to sing along to and they put on a great show in Sydney. But I'm afraid Rush has spoiled me. Yes I still love Viva la Vida and Paradise. The band is really tight and operate as a unit like Rush. Chris Martin is not in control, merely the front man.

Well I'm sorry you've been spoiled. I hope whatever you choose to listen to gives you all the satisfaction you need out of music.

I was spoiled the first few years I listened to Rush. I really looked down on bands who didn't write complex music and thoughtful lyrics like they did. But then I realised that not every band can do that. Some are better at writing a good simple tune and writing things like Rush wouldn't be right for them. For example, AC/DC would suck trying to write like Rush and Rush would probably sound like crap if they tried to write like AC/DC. Different styles work for different bands. A simple straight forward song can be just as good as a complex one if the band playing it knows what they're doing.

As for not liking Coldplay anymore, i've never been a fan. But pop music can have a short shelf life. Going back and listening to something you used to like years ago doesn't always bring back the same feelings. I find there's a lot of music I liked because it was the right time and right place in my life when I was listening to it. Once removed from that time and place the music doesn't have the same effect.

Coldplay....Oh God, I f***ing HATE them with a passion.....the triumph of bland mediocrity personified...and Chris Martin just has the most punchable face ever, along with his annoying reedy, piping voice....ugh.

I am definitely not a fan of Coldplay, as I find them just as bland as plain rice cakes. But to each his or her own...

There is so much different music that I love, though. I'm all over the place. And I also took about a fifteen year hiatus from Rush, from the mid-'90s until about 2010-'11...so glad I came back into the fold when I did, and got to see them live a couple more times...

They are terminally and positively unique. And I mean that in the best way!

• Like 1

I am in the same boat, listening to anything but Rush a constant.I like Coldplay but sometimes Chris Martin verges on whiny a Thom Yorke.