Should we encourage Rush to do an instrumental album?

SecondNature

Well, There are some folks here who have wrapped them in bubblewrap and put them in a box in a warehouse somewhere. I disagree as I have said repeatedly but nobody pays any attention to me. I think they still have music in them and I'm not fussed about what type comes out. I agree both that Ged's voice is an issue but could be managed in a studio environment. Write stuff in a lower key so he doesn't have to strain. If Alex's arthritis is that bad he couldn't have done the R40 tour. Neil is just being an ass but there's no Rush without him. If he continues to be a stay at home dad after the novelty wears off and he hears "Aw, Dad! Stop hovering!" a few times he might get itchy. If not, I'll join the Rush is Dead club.

I'd have no interest in a "My Favorite Headache Part II" ... do something unexpected

Who said anything about My Favourite Headache Part II? I want a Geddy Lee solo album. I welcome Geddy's creativeness and ability to evolve as a songwriter and a musician. He can even work with someone other than Ben Mink. I want another Geddy Lee solo album, not a rehash of his first solo album. By your logic every RUSH album is essentially a clone of the previous album and we all know that is not true. A new Geddy Lee solo album would be unexpected. I hear no expectations for it.

They ended their career with their best studio album in 30 years, and then a really fun retrospective tour. It's OK to let them go.

I, for one, was wildly disappointed by Clockwork Angels and consider it to be their WORST album in over 30 years. It left a bitter taste in my mouth after what I felt was a much more interesting album. Snakes & Arrows would have been a better send off.

Clockwork Angels is so much better than Power Windows through Test For Echo. It's better than Vapor Trails and Snakes, although those are a marked improvement over the 6 albums that preceded them.

• Like 1

Well, There are some folks here who have wrapped them in bubblewrap and put them in a box in a warehouse somewhere. I disagree as I have said repeatedly but nobody pays any attention to me.

It's not that nobody is paying attention to you. It's just most of us talked about Rush still recording new material but not touring again after R40 ended. There are still people who think that will happen but the debate about it is old news on here.

• Like 1

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Power_Man_and_Iron_Fist_1_Preview_2-600x923.png

Or if that doesn't make sense...

I was watching an interview with Clint Eastwood last night and he was talking about his Dirty Harry days. Even years after the last one was made, The Dead Pool, people were coming up to him and suggesting he should make another Dirty Harry flick. He said he never really saw a Dirty Harry script that interested him ((after The Dead Pool)) and sometimes "It's best to just leave a good thing alone".

But Clint didn't stop making movies

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Power_Man_and_Iron_Fist_1_Preview_2-600x923.png

I was watching an interview with Clint Eastwood last night and he was talking about his Dirty Harry days. Even years after the last one was made, The Dead Pool, people were coming up to him and suggesting he should make another Dirty Harry flick. He said he never really saw a Dirty Harry script that interested him ((after The Dead Pool)) and sometimes "It's best to just leave a good thing alone".

He stopped making Dirty Harry movies. That was his ((the)) point.

But isn't this what Rush has done through out their entire career ??

So they won't try to make another Moving Pictures ... They still might have a Gran Torino in them

• Like 1

So they won't try to make another Moving Pictures ... They still might have a Gran Torino in them

Well yeah, that is kind of my point. I can't imagine Geddy & Alex making another Rush album (Clint making another Dirty Harry) but they might make other material (Clint making Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, etc).

That Clint interview I saw was from 2000 or 2001. It was already 12 or 13 years AFTER The Dead Pool. Currently, it's nearly 30 years since the last Dirty Harry flick.

Well yeah, that is kind of my point. I can't imagine Geddy & Alex making another Rush album (Clint making another Dirty Harry) but they might make other material (Clint making Gran Torino, Million Dollar Baby, etc).

That Clint interview I saw was from 2000 or 2001. It was already 12 or 13 years AFTER The Dead Pool. Currently, it's nearly 30 years since the last Dirty Harry flick.

Yep, at this point, an 86 or 87 year old Harry Callahan doesn't seem realistic :LOL:

Assuming the actor was great for the role and the movie was done well, what would you think of a new Dirty Harry film ??

Yep, at this point, an 86 or 87 year old Harry Callahan doesn't seem realistic :LOL:

Assuming the actor was great for the role and the movie was done well, what would you think of a new Dirty Harry film ??

Clint in his late 80s can't casually eat a hot dog while simultaneously briskly walk up to some thug holding up a bank and stop the crime from happening. If 87 year old Dirty Harry were in a cafe and some rude idiot were carrying on, I could believe Callahan would deck him though. That'd be the extent of what he could believably do...but it wouldn't be much of a movie. :LOL:

• Like 1

Clint in his late 80s can't casually eat a hot dog while simultaneously briskly walk up to some thug holding up a bank and stop the crime from happening. If 87 year old Dirty Harry were in a cafe and some rude idiot were carrying on, I could believe Callahan would deck him though. That'd be the extent of what he could believably do...but it wouldn't be much of a movie. :LOL:

:LOL:

What I meant was if they got a younger actor - NOT Clint ... assuming he was a natural for the part, and the story was well done

What I meant was if they got a younger actor - NOT Clint ... assuming he was a natural for the part, and the story was well done

Absolutely no. Dirty Harry isn't James Bond who can be replaced (albeit not so easily). Clint is Dirty Harry just as Gary Weinrib is Geddy Lee.

Absolutely no. Dirty Harry isn't James Bond who can be replaced (albeit not so easily). Clint is Dirty Harry just as Gary Weinrib is Geddy Lee.

I agree

Well, There are some folks here who have wrapped them in bubblewrap and put them in a box in a warehouse somewhere. I disagree as I have said repeatedly but nobody pays any attention to me.

It's not that nobody is paying attention to you. It's just most of us talked about Rush still recording new material but not touring again after R40 ended. There are still people who think that will happen but the debate about it is old news on here.

I'm well aware of that. Just because I didn't take part in that debate at the time doesn't mean I don't have an opinion that I can't illustrate with Hulk comics. Everyone tells me welcome to the group and join the discussion and then shoots me down when I express an opinion. I said before this is a closed club and it is. Count me out. You can all drown in emoticons

• Like 1

I'm well aware of that. Just because I didn't take part in that debate at the time doesn't mean I don't have an opinion that I can't illustrate with Hulk comics. Everyone tells me welcome to the group and join the discussion and then shoots me down when I express an opinion. I said before this is a closed club and it is. Count me out. You can all drown in emoticons

THE LINGUIST HAS LEFT THE BUILDING

• Like 1

http://www.littlestuffedbull.com/images/2012/myavengersmovie/marvelfanfare7.jpg

http://68.media.tumblr.com/263a9b65385e2041d37f829c63f3ee5d/tumblr_nzuxkgH6rs1tbcweeo1_400.gif

• Like 5

http://www.littlestuffedbull.com/images/2012/myavengersmovie/marvelfanfare7.jpg

http://68.media.tumblr.com/263a9b65385e2041d37f829c63f3ee5d/tumblr_nzuxkgH6rs1tbcweeo1_400.gif

tumblr_n7dxz46dKa1s2wio8o1_500.gif

• Like 2

I wasn't trying to shoot you down. I was merely pointing out that bringing up things that have been discussed a lot in the past on here may not get too many responses because most of us have talked about it already.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't say anything about a certain topic. But don't take it personally if people don't respond. It seems like you need to lighten up a bit. Stop taking everything here so seriously and you might actually enjoy this forum.

Or you can always try your luck on the Counterparts message board. You'll see were not too bad after all.

• Like 2

Who shot you down? Where? How? By "shot down" do you simply mean "disagree"?

If someone did disagree with one of your opinions, welcome to the club! Anyone on here who's posted more than a couple of words or pictures has had someone disagree with them.

Here's my point by point list on this topic just so you can stop saying you're completely ignored:

- I wouldn't encourage Rush to make an instrumental album because I'd like to see what lyrics Peart would come up with. Besides, Geddy singing on an album is almost always good IMHO

- I don't want Rush to quit but i do think ALL 3 of them TOGETHER making albums is over.

- Rush don't owe me anything so whatever they choose to do now is fine.

P.S. This one's on the house:

http://thedyslexicstudent.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/the-hulk.jpg

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Yes I suppose they could do an instrumental album, but perhaps half original and half covers

Would like to see Rush cover some great Focus stuff maybe? Just a thought

That version is twice as fast as in the studio and Thijs Van Leer looks like he has been mainlining Sulphate all day. Looks a bit like English comedian/musician Bill Bailey.

Sylvia is a great great track.

Focus were actually better musicians than Deep Purple so high praise. If they had chosen to recruit a frontman/vocalist they could have been MASSIVE, but they stuck to their principles as an instrumental band