Song Hurt versions?

Texas King

Song Hurt versions?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Song Hurt versions?

Heresy: I think the Cash cover is overrated. Reznor's version is perfect.

Yes!

Well, Johnny's is probably my favorite cover and favorite video, so Johnny it is, though I like Cleveland boy Trent. I'm a sucker for minimalist acoustic guitar and piano. I guess I can avoid the Inquisition on this one.
  • Like 1

Johnny Cash.

NIN

Yup those are the two options. Insightful replies. ;)

It's a song straight from the heart, mind, and emotions of Trent Reznor. Cash has a strong version, but for him to even cover it tips the scale toward the original.

• Like 1

It's a song straight from the heart, mind, and emotions of Trent Reznor. Cash has a strong version, but for him to even cover it tips the scale toward the original.

[my thoughts exactly ;) ]

I really like the Cash cover version, as far as covers go it's one of my all time favorites. But the original is no slouch, and for the fact it's such an iconic track from the 1990s (and that Woodstock performance), leans this heavily in Trent's direction.

Still not fair to make us choose though!

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I think Johnny Cash's life was such that he certainly can interpret Reznor's song honestly and with complete conviction.

Cash's version is incredibly powerful, and it's more than clear that Reznor's words described much of Johnny's actual life.

But I loved Reznor's song to begin with, and it's also powerful.

I like the ethereal music in the original, it lends a hollowness to the tune that it needs. Cash's vocal performance carries more weight, though.

In the end, it's a tie.

• Like 2

Trent's version is great of course, but in his voice it seems to me a mostly artistic statement, (which isn't a criticism as that describes 99% of the songs ever written). In Cash's voice though, it seems like a last testament. It almost seems it was written for Cash to actualize its meaning. Good for Trent for writing the perfect song for a dying Johnny Cash. No small thing (huge understatement).

Cool story. As a young army soldier on leave from Berlin and back in the Midwest visiting family, my dad was in some bar/diner with some fellow army buddies, playing cards, drinking beer and pumping dimes into the jukebox. All they played were Johnny Cash songs as this was the '50s and he was kind of this young rebel and my dad and his friends loved him. Turns out Johnny Cash was in the bar (he was playing a show in the area), though sitting in a dark corner sitting unnoticed/unrecognized, and eventually left unnoticed. When my dad and his buddies went to pay their bill, they were told that the guy in the corner was Johnny Cash and he had paid their entire tab beore he left.

• Like 4

Cool story. As a young army soldier on leave from Berlin and back in the Midwest visiting family, my dad was in some bar/diner with some fellow army buddies, playing cards, drinking beer and pumping dimes into the jukebox. All they played were Johnny Cash songs as this was the '50s and he was kind of this young rebel and my dad and his friends loved him. Turns out Johnny Cash was in the bar (he was playing a show in the area), though sitting in a dark corner sitting unnoticed/unrecognized, and eventually left unnoticed. When my dad and his buddies went to pay their bill, they were told that the guy in the corner was Johnny Cash and he had paid their entire tab beore he left.

:heart:

Johnny Cash. The poignancy of a 71 year old singing this in his own home amidst his own possessions makes it really moving and powerful to me.

This.

• Like 1