It's been over a year and I still don't know how to cope

TemplesofLamneth

Don't get me wrong I hate the guy...but I used to like his music back in my teens.

Segue

Please listen to the link

Living Colour were the first all black heavy metal band, I saw them a few times in the early 90's. Their message was so f***ing strong, they combined hard rock with the social message of the early Rap artists. They were just awsomely brilliant, brilliant musicians and such a great message. They should have been f***ing massive!!!

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I hate the guy...but I used to like his music back in my teens.

Segue

Living Colour were the first all black heavy metal band, I saw them a few times in the early 90's. Their message was so f***ing strong, they combined hard rock with the social message of the early Rap artists. They were just awsomely brilliant, brilliant musicians and such a great message. They should have been f***ing massive!!!

Well that is my point

I asked the question about what hip hop track would be a classic and it is all the original stuff. Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Melly Mel etc

I have great respect for those great artists and pioneers but the current stuff has no relevance at all.

Kane West??? who the hell is he apart from being married to a trailer trash reality TV "star". It is all garbage to be honest I had never heard of either of them until a couple of years ago.

Andy Warhol was indeed correct all of those years ago when he said in the 1960's that sometime soon everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. He predicted the cult of "celebrity" for no other reason than "celebrity".

Kanye West is an incredibly talented musician in his field.

Yeah, but his field (genre) sucks. I am not a genre snob by any means - I like something from just about every genre out there (although I have to go back decades for country) - but rap is utter shit.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 2

Well that is my point

I asked the question about what hip hop track would be a classic and it is all the original stuff. Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Melly Mel etc

I have great respect for those great artists and pioneers but the current stuff has no relevance at all.

Kane West??? who the hell is he apart from being married to a trailer trash reality TV "star". It is all garbage to be honest I had never heard of either of them until a couple of years ago.

Andy Warhol was indeed correct all of those years ago when he said in the 1960's that sometime soon everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. He predicted the cult of "celebrity" for no other reason than "celebrity".

Yeah, but his field (genre) sucks. I am not a genre snob by any means - I like something from just about every genre out there (although I have to go back decades for country) - but rap is utter shit.

I understand your opinion but I do not share it.

• Like 1

Well that is my point

The early Rap music was relevant but it just became bastardised by the music industry in the same thing that happened to Punk Rock sadly

Segue

Yeah they are great for rock fans but I can see why a fan of Jay Z wouldn't like them and the same vice versa.

Different strokes for different folks lol

• Like 1

Well that is my point

I understand your opinion but I do not share it.

Its OK Segue

Just nice that we can share our opinions here my friend XXXXXX

Segue

Yeah they are great for rock fans but I can see why a fan of Jay Z wouldn't like them and the same vice versa.

Jay Z is not a relevance in the history of music

You compare

But it is like comparing 1 direction with The Beatles

For serious and relevant art compared with flossy chart music

In 100 years time Simon Cowell may be remembered (as an awful t**t) but none of his money making "artists" will.

The Beatles and Elvis Presley and Led Zeppelin and Rush will be remembered.

We are now back in the place we were in the 1970's

:eyeroll: :facepalm:

Through out all my years of listening to music I find it apparently clear that no musical genre sucks. All genres contain good music and bad music, the only two genres that truly count. As for Kanye West, his personality might be less than appealing (a trait very common in music), but his music has left an impact, both positive and negative, like all vital artists. Not liking something can be different than thinking it sucks.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 5

Segue

We talk about R&B Segue

That label has been hijacked by terrible blandness. I listen to "R&B" now and I think "that's not R&B!!!!!"

R&B is Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, not this awful drivel that they churn out now

• Like 1

Through out all my years of listening to music I find it apparently clear that no musical genre sucks. All genres contain good music and bad music, the only two genres that truly count. As for Kanye West, his personality might be less than appealing (a trait very common in music), but his music has left an impact, both positive and negative, like all vital artists. Not liking something can be different than thinking it sucks.

You are totally right, only two types of music, good and bad, and all genres have both

However I still maintain most of todays music sucks

For f***s sake man - The Bay City Rollers left an impact, stop being so diplomatic. Kane West has no musical relevance or ability whatsoever. At least the Sex Pistols wrote a couple of songs. It is the Cult of Personality that stupid people fall for

He doesn't have any music, he doesn't write or create anything!!!!!

For f***s sake man - The Bay City Rollers left an impact, stop being so diplomatic. Kane West has no musical relevance or ability whatsoever. At least the Sex Pistols wrote a couple of songs. It is the Cult of Personality that stupid people fall for

I can only shake my head at this type of post. Honestly, I don't know how one can look back on the last 20 years of music and say that Kanye West has no musical relevance or ability. Whatever. And the judgemental nastiness. Jeez.

• Like 1

I can only shake my head at this type of post. Honestly, I don't know how one can look back on the last 20 years of music and say that Kanye West has no musical relevance or ability. Whatever. And the judgemental nastiness. Jeez.

Big difference between "not my cup of tea" and "something sucks because I don't like it." This is the type of subject that, if you feel you absolutely have to make one negative post about it once is enough. It's not like we're holding anyone down and forcing them to listen to Kanye west. Another newsflash, other people sometimes have different opinions.

How is expressing an opinion nasty?

Tell the truth is not nasty

You said yourself that there a good and bad music in all genres and I agree. My record collection ranges from everything from Bach and Debussy to Charlie Parker and Duke Ellington to Hendrix and Louis Armstrong, from the Carpenters to Metallica.

I like ALL genres but I hate talentless arrogant pieces of work that use the media like this idiot.

Can you please tell me or send me a link of anything of worth that this chancer has done? I watched the pathetic version where he put Bohemian Rhapsody on the backing tape and got the audience to sing it apart from a few out of tune words he tried to do

I am sorry, perhaps I am missing something and he has done a "Mark Kostabi"

The modern world perhaps

Big difference between "not my cup of tea" and "something sucks because I don't like it." This is the type of subject that, if you feel you absolutely have to make one negative post about it once is enough. It's not like we're holding anyone down and forcing them to listen to Kanye west. Another newsflash, other people sometimes have different opinions.

So do you like his "work" ?

I find it difficult to grasp how people who like Rush can defend this idiot in any way shape or form

How is expressing an opinion nasty?

Tell the truth is not nasty

You said yourself that there a good and bad music in all genres and I agree. My record collection ranges from everything from Bach and Debussy to Charlie Parker and Duke Ellington to Hendrix and Louis Armstrong, from the Carpenters to Metallica.

I like ALL genres but I hate talentless arrogant pieces of work that use the media like this idiot.

Can you please tell me or send me a link of anything of worth that this chancer has done? I watched the pathetic version where he put Bohemian Rhapsody on the backing tape and got the audience to sing it apart from a few out of tune words he tried to do

I am sorry, perhaps I am missing something and he has done a "Mark Kostabi"

The modern world perhaps

I guess stupid people have no idea how stupid they are.

So do you like his "work" ?

Not my cup of tea

Segue

You compare

In 100 years time Simon Cowell may be remembered (as an awful t**t) but none of his money making "artists" will.

Your opinion. Not mine.

I think some of the music you rave about is equally as overhyped as the music you proclaim to hate and you'd argue otherwise whether anyone asked to hear it or not.

Newsflash? well reply to Newsflash, I have opinion as well and I reserve my right to express it. If you like this person then OK fair enough

Segue

We talk about R&B Segue

That label has been hijacked by terrible blandness. I listen to "R&B" now and I think "that's not R&B!!!!!"

R&B is Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, not this awful drivel that they churn out now

I'm a huge fan of 1990's and early 00's rnb.

Segue

You compare

Your opinion. Not mine.

I think some of the music you rave about is equally as overhyped as the music you proclaim to hate and you'd argue otherwise whether anyone asked to hear it or not.

OK if anyone hates the music I like then fair enough. But this person is not "music" it is just a load of media garbage and controversy

He DOESNT WRITE ANYTHING???