It's been over a year and I still don't know how to cope

TemplesofLamneth

I'm more distraught over spending $100 on that 2112 release with all the cover tunes on it. I mean I already have 4 other differ vinyl copies of that album, what was I thinking!?

As for Rush breaking up, it's too bad the OP didn't discover them till 2012 but I was lucky enough to discover them around 1979 and grew up with them. (I may be old but I've seen all the good bands :D)

I have a T shirt with that on it. I go back to the Stones first concert in the US in 1964 or 65 (too many years on this engine). Seen Tull live and lots of others but missed Rush when there I was in Columbus OH

• Like 1

Over priced Italian Tai Shan...

...I haven't written off Rush either. I should have. That is what the smart people say. My glass is half full. I believe in the power of dreams and the power of a 426 HEMI.

C'mon JR ... The Countach is a classic

It's ok to like both - Countach, Challenger ... MC5, Babymetal

;)

• Like 1

Over priced Italian Tai Shan...

...I haven't written off Rush either. I should have. That is what the smart people say. My glass is half full. I believe in the power of dreams and the power of a 426 HEMI.

..in a sassy grass '71 Cuda with a pistol grip and a Dana 60!

• Like 1

As a new member of this forum, frankly I'm afraid to post anything about some topics because there are so many negative and judgmental folks here who pounce on anything they don't agree with and shoot it down, and brutally. No allowance taken on someone having a different opinion or different starting point. And you all seem to know each other and say well, that's so-and-so for you. I have really strong feelings about some Rush-related topics but I'm afraid to put them down for either being shot down or killing the discussion such as it is. And do you guys know how tiresome it is to scroll through pages of long quoted posts attached to enormous sig files, just to find out that the response was "Me too" or "that was 1976 not 1975". It's like this place is a private party and strangers are not welcomed or told the rules.

My two cents.

I understand your post, I am relatively new here and got a bit drunk one night and posted a few threads which were not nice and I was an arsehole. I deservedly got a good verbal kicking from people. But now I am cool with all of that, I have a good vibe now, learned my lesson and I think I get on well with nearly all now.

This site is full of good people of very different views and personalities, but there is a lot of piss taking and banter. Best thing that I have learned in my short time here is if you live by the sword then you have to die by it. By that I mean then yes it is fine to post strongly held opinions and comments, that is what we want. Just be thick skinned enough to take the flak that comes back. It took me a while dude.

Best Regards and I hope this helps

And PS - don't listen to the one who slagged off your Avatar. The 365 GTB is a classic!! Or is it a 512?

What I would have posted (and think I actually did once) in this thread, is that I haven't written off Rush as dead and buried. As I might have said previously, I don't believe that die hard musicians who routinely play their instruments at home can flip a switch and say "I can't tour so I will never play music with these close friends again." So they don't tour. That doesn't mean the end of the world except to you guys who put notches in the bedpost for each concert. So I live in hope and watch a lot of concert videos

Oh, that was a hot topic of discussion for a bit on here after the R40 tour was finished. Like you, I don't think that anyone who spent their lives creating like Rush did can just turn that off. I still think it's possible we get a new album or two from them. But I believe they're done touring. Neil has physical issues and seems like it would be too much for him to tour again. Plus, he wants to spend as much time with his wife and daughter as he can. Geddy's voice wouldn't be able to handle much more touring either. No reason they can't still write and record though.

• Like 1

Thank god for bootlegs, live releases, etc etc

I'm a glass half full guy as well. I think they will make music again but I doubt it'll be as RUSH. Like FreeWill said... they have music in their blood, in their bones. Rarely does one actually STOP, unless they're about to die. And even then, sometimes they don't stop.

As a new member of this forum, frankly I'm afraid to post anything about some topics because there are so many negative and judgmental folks here who pounce on anything they don't agree with and shoot it down, and brutally. No allowance taken on someone having a different opinion or different starting point. And you all seem to know each other and say well, that's so-and-so for you. I have really strong feelings about some Rush-related topics but I'm afraid to put them down for either being shot down or killing the discussion such as it is. And do you guys know how tiresome it is to scroll through pages of long quoted posts attached to enormous sig files, just to find out that the response was "Me too" or "that was 1976 not 1975". It's like this place is a private party and strangers are not welcomed or told the rules.

My two cents.

I understand your post, I am relatively new here and got a bit drunk one night and posted a few threads which were not nice and I was an arsehole. I deservedly got a good verbal kicking from people. But now I am cool with all of that, I have a good vibe now, learned my lesson and I think I get on well with nearly all now.

This site is full of good people of very different views and personalities, but there is a lot of piss taking and banter. Best thing that I have learned in my short time here is if you live by the sword then you have to die by it. By that I mean then yes it is fine to post strongly held opinions and comments, that is what we want. Just be thick skinned enough to take the flak that comes back. It took me a while dude.

And PS - don't listen to the one who slagged off your Avatar. The 365 GTB is a classic!! Or is it a 512?

My avatar is a Lamborghini Countach, and if it has a model number I don't know what it is. I like to drive fast red cars and I've never gotten a ticket. If you have another 12 cylinder mid-engine car, I'd like to drive it. Never been able to get behind the wheel of an actual Countach, but I built a model!

Thanks for all the welcomes and wish someone would help me set up a sig and explain settings to me. I've never been in a forum like this. I go back to alt.rec newsgroups but not these new-fangled graphic ones.

What I would have posted (and think I actually did once) in this thread, is that I haven't written off Rush as dead and buried. As I might have said previously, I don't believe that die hard musicians who routinely play their instruments at home can flip a switch and say "I can't tour so I will never play music with these close friends again." So they don't tour. That doesn't mean the end of the world except to you guys who put notches in the bedpost for each concert. So I live in hope and watch a lot of concert videos

I had a Countach when I was younger.

It was a little Corgi one in white when I was about 7. It had the little wing opening doors and springy suspension on the wheels and everything.

Probably the best looking and worst supercar ever made.

Nice to talk to another Gear head, my Jagwar is V8 Supercharged and Front Engined so cant help you unfortunately. I am trying to think of mid engined V12's. There aren't many apart from Lambo and Ferrari. Us Brits do front engined like the Series 3 E-Type and a load of Aston Martins and the Germans have the AMG Mercs, but I am trying to think of other mid lump V12's, there are not many. Hang on I think the Jaguar XK220 was mid and V12 and the McLaren F1, and the Zonda's and the Koeniggseg's. Also I have heard a rumour that Corvette are planning one

I stopped putting notches on my bedpost when I was around 23 or so. But that was for another reason

My two cents.

My avatar is a Lamborghini Countach, and if it has a model number I don't know what it is. I like to drive fast red cars and I've never gotten a ticket. If you have another 12 cylinder mid-engine car, I'd like to drive it. Never been able to get behind the wheel of an actual Countach, but I built a model!

Thanks for all the welcomes and wish someone would help me set up a sig and explain settings to me. I've never been in a forum like this. I go back to alt.rec newsgroups but not these new-fangled graphic ones.

It was a little Corgi one in white when I was about 7. It had the little wing opening doors and springy suspension on the wheels and everything.

Nice to talk to another Gear head, my Jagwar is V8 Supercharged and Front Engined so cant help you unfortunately. I am trying to think of mid engined V12's. There aren't many apart from Lambo and Ferrari. Us Brits do front engined like the Series 3 E-Type and a load of Aston Martins and the Germans have the AMG Mercs, but I am trying to think of other mid lump V12's, there are not many. Hang on I think the Jaguar XK220 was mid and V12 and the McLaren F1, and the Zonda's and the Koeniggseg's. Also I have heard a rumour that Corvette are planning one

I stopped putting notches on my bedpost when I was around 23 or so. But that was for another reason

My theoretical Countach comes with its own hunky Italian mechanic. I had a friend who inherited a lot of money and bought a Jag E type (in the 60s). When it broke down in the mountains of West Virginia that was the last straw and she switched to something more reliable. I have my eye on a Bugatti Veyron when my next pension check comes. I am learning to appreciate German cars and would not say no to an Aston Martin.

• Like 1

My two cents.

My theoretical Countach comes with its own hunky Italian mechanic. I had a friend who inherited a lot of money and bought a Jag E type (in the 60s). When it broke down in the mountains of West Virginia that was the last straw and she switched to something more reliable. I have my eye on a Bugatti Veyron when my next pension check comes. I am learning to appreciate German cars and would not say no to an Aston Martin.

Well I agree with you about the E-type. It is revered very much as a classic and it is. Enzo Ferrari said that it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen, at the Geneva Motor show in 1961. He said the only problem it had was that it did not have a Ferrari Badge on it. Enzo had 2 of the series one models, the roadster and the coupe. The E-type cost around £2000 which was one third of the price of the equivalent Ferrari or Maserratti and it was faster thanks to its lovely 3.8 litre Twin Cam straight six Jaguar engine.

There was only one problem, the car was so much in demand and everyone wanted one so Jaguar ended up cutting corners to get them out quickly to supply the demand. The Lucas electrics were terrible, the suspension wasn't much better and it would overheat and pack in if you pushed it over 100mph.

The Americans used to have a joke to say "why do the English drink warm beer? Because they use Lucas fridges"

The James Bond Aston Martin DB5 was also pretty much a pile of shite as well.

But you know what? There are fettling companies today that can take these classics and make them modern and fabulous. Upgrade the brakes and suspension, do the cooling system properly, fettle the engine and give them fuel injection, give them ABS and traction control.

Yes you will pay maybe £200k for a done up DB5 and £120k for a fettled E-Type but think what you are getting? 21st Century technology with that awesome beautiful 60's styling? One of those or a Bentley Continental or AMG 6.3 S Class?

No brainer, I know what I would have XX

If you are going for a Veyron I would love to know what pension fund you paid into :drool:

My two cents.

My theoretical Countach comes with its own hunky Italian mechanic.

:LOL:

• Like 1

My two cents.

No I think if your Countach comes with a hunky Italian mechanic the car wouldn't get fixed. Yes you might have a lovely holiday romance with him in Lake Majoire or Lake Como but the car would spend most of its time on the ramp in the garage which is probably just as well because if you tried to drive it on the high roads in the Italian lakes then it WOULD KILL YOU ha ha

I would rather go for a fat bald old German mechanic who is very good, but then again I am not a lady XXXXXXX

My two cents.

PS Freewill - did you know that Countach is actually Itallian slang for "Fwaaarrrr" straight up!! ha ha XXXXX

My two cents.

There are fettling companies today that can take these classics and make them modern and fabulous. Upgrade the brakes and suspension, do the cooling system properly, fettle the engine and give them fuel injection, give them ABS and traction control.

...£120k for a fettled E-Type but think what you are getting? 21st Century technology with that awesome beautiful 60's styling?

I don't know what "fettling" means but I want a 1982 Corvette with a 2001 or later LS1 V8.

• Like 1

My two cents.

There are fettling companies today that can take these classics and make them modern and fabulous. Upgrade the brakes and suspension, do the cooling system properly, fettle the engine and give them fuel injection, give them ABS and traction control.

...£120k for a fettled E-Type but think what you are getting? 21st Century technology with that awesome beautiful 60's styling?

I don't know what "fettling" means but I want a 1982 Corvette with a 2001 or later LS1 V8.

Yeh I would love a Vette, fettling means fiddling about and making it better. suspension, brakes, handling, tinkering with the engine etc

Sorry just my language, don't even know if fettling is in the dictionary ha ha!!!!

My two cents.

This one with the Targa top?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmv5Kgi77SAhWFWBQKHQ9NDBIQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fbdover0444%2Fc3-corvette-1968-1982%2F&psig=AFQjCNEHfo8YDY2NEkn3L7oN-OiFx8lnLQ&ust=1488759370609176

I am hearing Prince right now :P

My two cents.

Sorry sent the wrong link

My two cents.

87782c72065b1b1a8002366fb7f74bd2.jpg

• Like 1

My two cents.

Yeh I would love a Vette, fettling means fiddling about and making it better. suspension, brakes, handling, tinkering with the engine etc

Sorry just my language, don't even know if fettling is in the dictionary ha ha!!!!

Lately in the colonies we call that restomodding keeping the classic look while modernizing nearly everything else.

• Like 1

My two cents.

Lately in the colonies we call that restomodding keeping the classic look while modernizing nearly everything else.

Yeah thanks but you are not in the colonies any more. You kicked our ass in 1776 if I remember my history lessons XXX :P

We call it "fettling2 in little England land. You know, where English men with beards and tweed jackets mess about in sheds with a few screwdrivers and socket sets and produce great engineering.

We are kind of proud of that over here how we beat the might of the Nazi empire in WW2 with our "make do and mend" "Build a Spitfire in a shed" mentality.

Well we might have needed a bit of help in the end from the US but what the hell! ha ha

The English have always been very good at invention and innovation but we suck at mass production, the Japanese have it mastered now

• Like 1

My two cents.

It is a good philosophy though John

That 82 Vette is simply gorgeous. Give it modern brakes and suspension, fuel injection and a good intercooler and it will be just the dogs parts XXXXX

My two cents.

Here's the thing John. That 5.7 litre V8 is a beast but I reckon the best thing you should do first is to get vented front discs with Brembo pads and calipers, then get better suspension springs all round. Also if you can afford it get a Limited Slip Differential for the rear axle. That will make the handling absolutely spot on. I would not go for more power until you get that done. 200BHP is more than enough with a very light fiberglass bod.

My two cents.

I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread into petrolhead (what we Aussies call it) talk. When I knew that the exotic cars I wanted were way beyond my price range (my pension is good but not that good) I devoted myself to pining for a streetrod for many years. I wanted a 1948 Plymouth coupe like the one my mother drove but with all mod cons and flames on the front. Or a turbocharged Model T (with tools to pick the bugs out of my teeth). And we will NOT go down the motorcycle path because I rode one of those as well. Not all girls are motor challenged.

• Like 2

Boy, I sure have been out of the loop.

So, they finally made it clear that they are definitely done?

Haven't seen the Time Stand Still documentary.

I was fairly certain they were done at the end of the R40 tour, but there were conflicting reports as to whether they were truly "done done" for at least a year after R40.

Originally the narrative was that R40 was definitely the last tour "of that scale", but they were cheekily leaving the door open to there being "more Rush" in some unspecified way in the future; whether that meant releasing new singles occasionally or a new studio album without a significant tour or a one off live performance now and then was left as an exercise for the reader.

I take it that the Time Stand Still documentary finally removed all doubt?

Does it sadden me? Not particularly. They had a great run, and the R40 tour was a great exclamation point at the end of the sentence. I saw two shows during that tour and thoroughly enjoyed both.

My only regrets are that I had tickets to the final show in LA but couldn't make it, and that they did the same setlist at both of the shows I saw (Atlanta and Portland), setlist A; it was setlist A again at the final show ironically.

I really wanted to see them do Natural Science.

Oh well.

That was a great tour. All of the setlists were good (some a little better and longer than others) and the whole Periscope thing allowed us to 'see' the shows we couldn't be at in real time, with live comments, which was great.

It's not like they had another Permanent Waves in them. I appreciate everything they did in one way or another over their 4 decades, but they passed their peak in terms of studio albums decades ago. Their last 2 studio albums were surprisingly good for a band of their age - a lot better than a lot of the stuff in the years between Signals and Vapor Trails.

But in terms of studio albums it's really been a process of lowered expectations for me ever since Signals. Their last two albums exceeded my expectations considerably, but truth be told they weren't on the level of anything from the Terry Brown years, even if they were arguably better than anything they put out since then (a remarkable achievement).

I'll miss the shows more than the prospect of new materiel frankly. Rush live was always very special.

It's always a bit sad to see the end of an era. I think it's cool they lasted as long as they did and were as good as they were so late in their run.

They gave us more than enough.

I'm more appreciative than sad.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 1

My two cents.

I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread into petrolhead (what we Aussies call it) talk. When I knew that the exotic cars I wanted were way beyond my price range (my pension is good but not that good) I devoted myself to pining for a streetrod for many years. I wanted a 1948 Plymouth coupe like the one my mother drove but with all mod cons and flames on the front. Or a turbocharged Model T (with tools to pick the bugs out of my teeth). And we will NOT go down the motorcycle path because I rode one of those as well. Not all girls are motor challenged.

Oh sorry JR I didn't look properly and made an assumption you are from the States, my apologies. Yeah Petrolhead is the UK Nigel term. I love the Holden Monaro . It is just completely mental.

Oh and I love the talk of the Bathhurst meeting. Top Gear had a segment about it where Ford and GM blokes get together and get drunk and have a massive punch up and sometimes a car race breaks out ha ha !!!! Sounds like a great party to me !!!!

Also I heard that the authorities put a limit on of only 24 cans of beer a day per person, a SERIOUS restriction!!!!

My Uncle Jim lived in Sydney since 71 when an injury forced him to give up playing football for Leeds United. He worked for Tooheys brewery for 35 years, then they sold the house a couple of years ago and bought a plot up in Surfers, had 2 houses built and live in one and rent one out, good business for their retirement. Apparently land gets cheaper as you go North, which kinda makes sense. He is coming over next month so will have to ask him about that.

Take care dude, from a "Nigel" to a "Bruce"

Have you seen the Top Gear where they get the guys from Aussie Top Gear over for some challenges? It is a hoot mate!