It's been over a year and I still don't know how to cope

TemplesofLamneth

Don't get me wrong I hate the guy...but I used to like his music back in my teens.

Segue

Please listen to the link

Living Colour were the first all black heavy metal band, I saw them a few times in the early 90's. Their message was so f***ing strong, they combined hard rock with the social message of the early Rap artists. They were just awsomely brilliant, brilliant musicians and such a great message. They should have been f***ing massive!!!

Yeah they are great for rock fans but I can see why a fan of Jay Z wouldn't like them and the same vice versa.

Different strokes for different folks lol

We talk about R&B Segue

That label has been hijacked by terrible blandness. I listen to "R&B" now and I think "that's not R&B!!!!!"

R&B is Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, not this awful drivel that they churn out now

I'm a huge fan of 1990's and early 00's rnb.

OK fine but draw a distinction

Played the self titled Beyoncé album and Lemonade tonight.

I love both and think she is extremely talented. Yes she works with the biggest team of people but they all work together to make the best music they can.

Also Jay Z has released some incredible music, as has Kendrick Lemar, Lethal Bizzle and artists like Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Tinashe, Aaliyah and others have created countless singles I adore and couldn't live without. More often than not I feel the same way about the albums too.

Absolutely adore Rihanna as well.

If I could only listen too rnb and hip hop from 1990 onwards for an entire ysar I'd be very happy.

• Like 1

I love both and think she is extremely talented. Yes she works with the biggest team of people but they all work together to make the best music they can.

Also Jay Z has released some incredible music, as has Kendrick Lemar, Lethal Bizzle and artists like Alicia Keys, Christina Aguilera, Tinashe, Aaliyah and others have created countless singles I adore and couldn't live without. More often than not I feel the same way about the albums too.

If I could only listen too rnb and hip hop from 1990 onwards for an entire ysar I'd be very happy.

Well I suppose we should just agree to disagree. I am not against all modern stuff, I just find a lot of it not very good and so derivative.

I suppose perhaps I could make an analogy with Michael Jackson, Off The Wall and Thriller were both masterpieces as was all of the stuff Prince did XXXXXXX

Perhaps I am just too old now ;)

Well yes Segue I suppose I understand your point maybe I should bog off as an old man

Well I suppose we should just agree to disagree. I am not against all modern stuff, I just find a lot of it not very good and so derivative.

That's fine. But I find a lot of the "classic" seventies and eighties albums just sound like the best examples of what most music sounded like in spite of their existence.

For example, I don't hear anything on Appetite For Destruction that any other band of that era couldn't have come up with. Yes, chemistry and a rare flash of magic helped elevate it above other bands of the time but...to be frank...it didn't reinvent the wheel.

Van Halen are amazing but again...the songs themselves just sound to me like pumped up AOR.

Music is fluid and always evolving from what came before. The difference is the seventies was inspired by less than two decades of Rock n roll.

By the time you reach, say, 1999, you have nearly half a century and of course by then countless ideas have been recycled.

But that doesn't mean what's old to your ears cannot sound new and fresh to a younger person.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Well yes Segue I suppose I understand your point maybe I should bog off as an old man

Why take it so personally? It's good fun to go back and forth about music!

• Like 2

That's fine. But I find a lot of the "classic" seventies and eighties albums just sound like the best examples of what most music sounded like in spite of their existence.

For example, I don't hear anything on Appetite For Destruction that any other band of that era couldn't have come up with. Yes, chemistry and a rare flash of magic helped elevate it above other bands of the time but...to be frank...it didn't reinvent the wheel.

Van Halen are amazing but again...the songs themselves just sound to me like pumped up AOR.

Music scene fluid and always evolving from what came before. The difference is the seventies was inspired by less than two decades of Rock not roll.

By the time you reach, say, 1999, you have nearly half a century and of course by then countless ideas have been recycled.

But that doesn't mean what's old to your ears cannot sound new and fresh to a younger person.

Well maybe I have closed my ears a bit. I do wish to like modern music but it just all seems based on hype and image these days.

I remember when I first heard Bowie as a kid, it blew my mind and I thought I would never be able to hear anything like that in modern times

https://youtu.be/v--IqqusnNQ

It was amazing to listen to this song and as a young kid it resonated with me

Bowie just was so far ahead of his time

https://youtu.be/v--IqqusnNQ

It's a God awful small affair

To the girl with the mousey hair

But her mummy is yelling, "No!"

And her daddy has told her to go

But her friend is no where to be seen

Now she walks through her sunken dream

To the seats with the clearest view

And she's hooked to the silver screen

But the film is sadd'ning bore

For she's lived it ten times or more

She could spit in the eyes of fools

As they ask her to focus on

Sailors

Fighting in the dance hall

Oh man!

Look at those cavemen go

It's the freakiest show

Take a look at the lawman

Beating up the wrong guy

Oh man!

Wonder if he'll ever know

Oh man!

He's in the best selling show

Is there life on Mars?

It's on America's tortured brow

That Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow

Now the workers have struck for fame

'Cause Lennon's on sale again

See the mice in their million hordes

From Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

Rule Britannia is out of bounds

To my mother, my dog, and clowns

From Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

Rule Britannia is out of bounds

To my mother, my dog, and clowns

But the film is a sadd'ning bore

'Cause I wrote it ten times or more

It's about to be writ again

As I ask you to focus on

Sailors

Fighting in the dance hall

Oh man!

Look at those cavemen go

It's the freakiest show

Look at those cavemen go

It's the freakiest show

Take a look at the lawman

Beating up the wrong guy

Oh man!

He's in the best selling show

Is there life on Mars?

:eyeroll: :facepalm:

Through out all my years of listening to music I find it apparently clear that no musical genre sucks. All genres contain good music and bad music, the only two genres that truly count. As for Kanye West, his personality might be less than appealing (a trait very common in music), but his music has left an impact, both positive and negative, like all vital artists. Not liking something can be different than thinking it sucks.

For f***s sake man - The Bay City Rollers left an impact, stop being so diplomatic. Kane West has no musical relevance or ability whatsoever. At least the Sex Pistols wrote a couple of songs. It is the Cult of Personality that stupid people fall for

I can only shake my head at this type of post. Honestly, I don't know how one can look back on the last 20 years of music and say that Kanye West has no musical relevance or ability. Whatever. And the judgemental nastiness. Jeez.

Big difference between "not my cup of tea" and "something sucks because I don't like it." This is the type of subject that, if you feel you absolutely have to make one negative post about it once is enough. It's not like we're holding anyone down and forcing them to listen to Kanye west. Another newsflash, other people sometimes have different opinions.

I find it difficult to grasp how people who like Rush can defend this idiot in any way shape or form

Why? Kanye has done some good stuff. Do I listen to him on purpose? No. Not at all. But to say he is irelevant is pure ignorance.

• Like 1

Well that is my point

I asked the question about what hip hop track would be a classic and it is all the original stuff. Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Melly Mel etc

I have great respect for those great artists and pioneers but the current stuff has no relevance at all.

Kane West??? who the hell is he apart from being married to a trailer trash reality TV "star". It is all garbage to be honest I had never heard of either of them until a couple of years ago.

Andy Warhol was indeed correct all of those years ago when he said in the 1960's that sometime soon everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. He predicted the cult of "celebrity" for no other reason than "celebrity".

Kanye West is an incredibly talented musician in his field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7MMIRSlbY

Fridge what the f**k?????

He put on a backing tape then got the audience to sing most of it then did a few words out of tune??? Oh no no no please tell me you are not serious?

It is so tragically terrible that I wish I could bring Kurt Cobain back to life just to blow away this awfulness for one last time.

He is an incredibly talented musician in his field????? Well all I can think of is that field is just full of cow dung.

The middle class "white" music press love black music because they think it is cool. They championed the cause of the ethnic African American rap culture and how it was so relevant whilst they derided the misogynistic stone age lyrics of the white rock establishment. That was true in the 80's but all has been turned on its head.

White rock music now talks about social issues and challenges the ethos of the current system whilst the "mainstream" rap and R&B "artists" talk about "guns" and "drugs" and "bitches" and "f*****s" while they drive around in their expensive cars.

Still the pathetic middle class music press wannabe little boys fantasize about being "in the hood" . You come from a rich family, you go to college and be a "rebel" for 3 years then you come home and daddy gets you a nice job with a hedge fund.

These guys combined rock music with the message of the early Rap artists

Kanye uses the media, and the media uses him. Twas ever thus. An apt case in point, seeing as he's mentioned, Bowie did the same.

Kanye would appear to be a gigantic pain in the hole, but, love the art not the artist.

Stronger is one of the best singles I've heard in the past ten years. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is an astonishing album, excessive, kitchen sink production, on-point sampling & big tunes. An album that also encapsulates the consumer driven times we live in.

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in." - Isaac Asimov

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong I hate the guy...but I used to like his music back in my teens.

Segue

Please listen to the link

Living Colour were the first all black heavy metal band, I saw them a few times in the early 90's. Their message was so f***ing strong, they combined hard rock with the social message of the early Rap artists. They were just awsomely brilliant, brilliant musicians and such a great message. They should have been f***ing massive!!!

Really?

"VIVID" is one of the greatest albums made.

I have seen Living Colour many times! Vernon Reid? Really? Will Calhoun? KILLER!

Danny Glover? No relation to the movie star......COREY GLOVER!

I'm just a MIDDLE MAN!

"What's Your Favorite Colour bitches????

Give me a break!

The RUSH Section is DEAD!

Let's talk ROCK!

LETTER TO THE LANDLORD

:eyeroll: :facepalm:

Through out all my years of listening to music I find it apparently clear that no musical genre sucks. All genres contain good music and bad music, the only two genres that truly count. As for Kanye West, his personality might be less than appealing (a trait very common in music), but his music has left an impact, both positive and negative, like all vital artists. Not liking something can be different than thinking it sucks.

For f***s sake man - The Bay City Rollers left an impact, stop being so diplomatic. Kane West has no musical relevance or ability whatsoever. At least the Sex Pistols wrote a couple of songs. It is the Cult of Personality that stupid people fall for

I can only shake my head at this type of post. Honestly, I don't know how one can look back on the last 20 years of music and say that Kanye West has no musical relevance or ability. Whatever. And the judgemental nastiness. Jeez.

Big difference between "not my cup of tea" and "something sucks because I don't like it." This is the type of subject that, if you feel you absolutely have to make one negative post about it once is enough. It's not like we're holding anyone down and forcing them to listen to Kanye west. Another newsflash, other people sometimes have different opinions.

Newsflash? well reply to Newsflash, I have opinion as well and I reserve my right to express it. If you like this person then OK fair enough

Here's another opinion. I don't think you read other people's posts very carefully before you reply. You also seem to be taking this way too personally.

As a new member of this forum, frankly I'm afraid to post anything about some topics because there are so many negative and judgmental folks here who pounce on anything they don't agree with and shoot it down, and brutally. No allowance taken on someone having a different opinion or different starting point. And you all seem to know each other and say well, that's so-and-so for you. I have really strong feelings about some Rush-related topics but I'm afraid to put them down for either being shot down or killing the discussion such as it is. And do you guys know how tiresome it is to scroll through pages of long quoted posts attached to enormous sig files, just to find out that the response was "Me too" or "that was 1976 not 1975". It's like this place is a private party and strangers are not welcomed or told the rules.

My two cents.

• Like 5

As a new member of this forum, frankly I'm afraid to post anything about some topics because there are so many negative and judgmental folks here who pounce on anything they don't agree with and shoot it down, and brutally. No allowance taken on someone having a different opinion or different starting point. And you all seem to know each other and say well, that's so-and-so for you. I have really strong feelings about some Rush-related topics but I'm afraid to put them down for either being shot down or killing the discussion such as it is. And do you guys know how tiresome it is to scroll through pages of long quoted posts attached to enormous sig files, just to find out that the response was "Me too" or "that was 1976 not 1975". It's like this place is a private party and strangers are not welcomed or told the rules.

My two cents.

Everyone was new at some point.

We don't all know each other.

We don't all like each other.

We don't all dislike someone.

Some of us have actually met.

Some of us have been on TRF "talking" to each other for more than a decade so naturally there'd be a familiarity with certain members.

You should post your opinion. To be truly part of a community (even an online one), we need to share ideas.

Some might pounce on you, as you said.

Others might praise you.

But nothing will happen if nothing is shared.

In regards to the "enormous sig files", as far as I know, you can still disable those.

• Like 3

My two cents.

:popcorn: Pile on begins in 5....4.....3..........

And it was 1976, so there.

• Like 1

My two cents.

Everyone was new at some point.

We don't all know each other.

We don't all like each other.

We don't all dislike someone.

Some of us have actually met.

Some of us have been on TRF "talking" to each other for more than a decade so naturally there'd be a familiarity with certain members.

You should post your opinion. To be truly part of a community (even an online one), we need to share ideas.

Some might pounce on you, as you said.

Others might praise you.

But nothing will happen if nothing is shared.

In regards to the "enormous sig files", as far as I know, you can still disable those.

Trust you to be all sensible. But you're right.

I joined back in the old days, ah the old days, 13.2kbs dial up internet, it took 6 months and a bus journey just to see a boob, but the inevitable blindness was delayed. That was a good thing.

Sorry, I digressed there, yes, I was a very timid poster initially. Once you find your feet here, peeps will either engage with you or no-one will pay a blind bit of attention to you.

Like Johnny, I've met a few TRFers. Good people all, bar that guy, it was a night I'd rather forget. Those clothes are STILL in the dry cleaners.

*sucks thumb, rocking gently, foetal position, dark room*

• Like 5

My two cents.

I can see where you're coming from. I lurked here for a couple of years before finally joining. That gave me time to get to know the sort of stuff that goes on here as well as some of the posters personalities.

Everyone here for the most part has a decent sense of humour, so that's a great commonality.

Where opinions are concerned (and expressed) it can be no holds barred. Don't worry so much about it. Just hang on to your hat, don't take things personally, and feel free to make mistakes. It's a nice community here, for the most part, with plenty of topics to keep you occupied.

I hope you enjoy your time here. Have fun!

Remember: if we can post all this crap, why not you? ;) :LOL:

• Like 4

My two cents.

Understood, and as others have said already, it hasn't always been like that. I'm not an 'old-timer' on TRF, but I've been here for roundabout five years. The community goes through periods of negative and positive in fits and starts. And I think it also makes a difference what sections of the forum a person frequents, too, as to the opinion that he or she gleans from the content. Some sections are generally a little testier than others.

My two cents.

Understood, and as others have said already, it hasn't always been like that. I'm not an 'old-timer' on TRF, but I've been here for roundabout five years. The community goes through periods of negative and positive in fits and starts. And I think it also makes a difference what sections of the forum a person frequents, too, as to the opinion that he or she gleans from the content. Some sections are generally a little testier than others.

A little? Beware SOCN, the politics subforum ;) Also careful aboot commenting if it's all Neils fault that Rush is retired.

Please enjoy the forum and take it for what it is...An internet forum. And don't worry if you get corrected....After all, PeW is a 70s album, not 80s.

Where else can we "meet" fans that were there in the beginning, and learn a little about our favorite prog rock trio?

My two cents.

Post away with any opinions about Rush that you want. This place isn't as bad as you think it is. I've been a part of message boards that were much worse. The point of forums like this is to share our thoughts on whatever topics and get others to join in. If things get heated, well that's just the nature of discussing something we feel strongly about. New people are always welcome. But joining a forum with a lot of long time members is like starting a new job. There's already an established dynamic between everyone and it sometimes takes a little bit to work your way in and be comfortable with everything.

Stick with it here. If you're a good poster, you'll be accepted just fine. But that's not gonna happen if you don't share your thoughts.

• Like 2