NASCAR Pick'em 2017

KenJennings

This race day qualifying they've been doing the past couple of weeks, sure makes picking a little more tricky. I guess even if you pick someone who starts at or near the back, with the multiple segments, people can work their way to the front a little easier.

Ryan Newman, for now.

blueschica- Paul Menard

Mr. blues- AJ Allmendinger

This is a little bit of a hard one to watch. We had planned to go to this race and even had a hotel room lined up but thankfully not bought tickets yet. Mr. blues woke up with bad vertigo/dizziness at the beginning of July and has had mild to major problems with it since then. Staggering around the race track didn't sound fun to him, go figure! :(

Edited by blueschica

blueschica- Paul Menard

This is a little bit of a hard one to watch. We had planned to go to this race and even had a hotel room lined up but thankfully not bought tickets yet. Mr. blues woke up with bad vertigo/dizziness at the beginning of July and has had mild to major problems with it since then. Staggering around the race track didn't sound fun to him, go figure! :(

I've dealt with vertigo myself and it is nerve wracking! You just have no idea how long it will take to go away. Best wishes to your hubby...
  • Like 1

What is the thing that is going across the windshield on a diagonal? I don't recall seeing that previously.

I believe it was a wiper. It looks like it did when the Busch Nationwide Xfinity cars ran in the rain a few years ago (which was pretty much as disastrous as you'd expect.)

What is the thing that is going across the windshield on a diagonal? I don't recall seeing that previously.

I believe it was a wiper. It looks like it did when the Busch Nationwide Xfinity cars ran in the rain a few years ago (which was pretty much as disastrous as you'd expect.)

Disastrous? That was one of the best, most memorable races I've seen in years.

I'm not sure because each car had one and they were all in the same basic position and didn't move. Not sure why they'd have a wiper anyway since they don't run in the rain and having a working wiper would warrant a motor to run it and more wiring/switches.

Week 22 Standings (Watkins Glen)

http://imageshack.com/a/img593/4212/27menard.png Paul Menard P1 - blueschika - 703 Points (3 wins)

Used: Brad Keselowski (24), Kevin Harvick (43), Martin Truex (60), Kyle Larson (53), Denny Hamlin (26), Kyle Busch (52), Jamie McMurray (46), Chase Elliott (35), Joey Logano (42), Dale Earnhardt Jr (15), Ryan Blaney (51), Matt Kenseth (55), Jimmie Johnson (55), Kurt Busch (40), Clint Bowyer (22), AJ Allmendinger (11), Kasey Kahne (23). Daniel Suarez (19), Erik Jones (1), Ricky Stenhouse (2), Chris Buescher (9), Paul Menard (19)

http://imageshack.com/a/img707/4053/47labonte.png AJ Allmendinger Chase Cutoff - RacerX - 691 Points (2 wins)

Used: Chase Elliott (23), Kevin Harvick (48), Brad Keselowski (48), Joey Logano (16), Kyle Larson (59), Martin Truex (31), Clint Bowyer (30), Ryan Blaney (4), Matt Kenseth (33), Ricky Stenhouse (49), Kyle Busch (48), Erik Jones (39), Daniel Suarez (32), Kurt Busch (40), Denny Hamlin (44), Jamie McMurray (27), Kasey Kahne (23), Jimmie Johnson (3), Matt DiBenedetto (7), Ryan Newman (34), Michael McDowell (21), AJ Allmendinger (32)

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1391/pKUVyF.png Daniel Suarez P2 - Cygnus 2112 - 685 Points (-5 late pick) (3 wins)

Used: Chase Elliott (18), Brad Keselowski (53), Martin Truex (60), Kyle Larson (53), Erik Jones (34), Ryan Newman (29), Kyle Busch (23), Jimmie Johnson (54), Ricky Stenhouse (33), Dale Earnhardt Jr (15), Ryan Blaney (51), Kevin Harvick (36), Kurt Busch (1), Matt Kenseth (31), Clint Bowyer (17), Denny Hamlin (46), Joey Logano (8), Jamie McMurray (41), AJ Allmendinger (16), Danica Patrick (26), Aric Almirola (1), Daniel Suarez (39)

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/2226/9NRKZ0.png Michael McDowell P3 - thesweetscience - 683 Points (3 wins)

Used: Clint Bowyer (9), Chase Elliott (49), Martin Truex (60), Ryan Blaney (21), Erik Jones (34), Kyle Busch (52), Jimmie Johnson (49), Kasey Kahne (17), Denny Hamlin (47), Dale Earnhardt Jr (15), Joey Logano (0), Matt Kenseth (55), Daniel Suarez (27), Kyle Larson (47), Jamie McMurray (32), AJ Allmendinger (11), Ricky Stenhouse (40), Kurt Busch (11), Brad Keselowski (28), Ryan Newman (34), Trevor Bayne (20), Michael McDowell (25)

http://imageshack.com/a/img707/4053/47labonte.png AJ Allmendinger P4 - Mr. Blues - 681 Points (3 wins)

Used: Danica Patrick (11), Kevin Harvick (43), Chase Elliott (47), Dale Earnhardt Jr (24), Kyle Larson (60), Denny Hamlin (16), Ryan Blaney (45), Jimmie Johnson (54), Martin Truex (35), Brad Keselowski (40), Joey Logano (2), Kyle Busch (61), Kurt Busch (1), Bubba Wallace (11), Clint Bowyer (22), Jamie McMurray (27), Ricky Stenhouse (40), Matt Kenseth (33), Kasey Kahne (14), Ryan Newman (34), Daniel Suarez (30), AJ Allmendinger (32)

http://imageshack.com/a/img707/4053/47labonte.png AJ Allmendinger P5 - Pressure/Hopenoses - 663 Points (1 win)

Used: Kevin Harvick (34), Brad Keselowski (53), Joey Logano (39), Ryan Blaney (21), Denny Hamlin (26), Kyle Busch (52), Chase Elliott (34), Clint Bowyer (35), Matt Kenseth (33), Dale Earnhardt Jr (15), Jimmie Johnson (18), Martin Truex (60), Kyle Larson (50), Ryan Newman (40), Kasey Kahne (16), Kurt Busch (30), Austin Dillon (1), Jamie McMurray (41), Erik Jones (1), Ricky Stenhouse (2), Daniel Suarez (30), AJ Allmendinger (32)

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3930/LbnMWY.png Chris Buescher P6 - KenJennings - 653 Points

Used: Austin Dillon (18), Kevin Harvick (43), Ryan Blaney (43), Dale Earnhardt Jr (24), Matt Kenseth (1), Clint Bowyer (31), Brad Keselowski (40), Daniel Suarez (19), Ricky Stenhouse (33), Jamie McMurray (36), Kyle Busch (48), Martin Truex (60), Erik Jones (27), Kurt Busch (40), Denny Hamlin (44), AJ Allmendinger (11), Ty Dillon (24), Joey Logano (29), Kasey Kahne (14), Paul Menard (21), Michael McDowell (21), Chris Buescher (26)

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3930/LbnMWY.png Chris Buescher P7 - pjbear05 - 556 Points

Used: Jamie McMurray (13), Martin Truex (43), Kurt Busch (7), Chase Elliott (42), Dale Earnhardt Jr (21), Jimmie Johnson (32), Matt Kenseth (21), Kyle Busch (3), Clint Bowyer (27), Daniel Suarez (18), Brad Keselowski (41), Ryan Blaney (17), Paul Menard (4), Kevin Harvick (51), Ryan Newman (22), Joey Logano (36), Kasey Kahne (23), Erik Jones (40), AJ Allmendinger (16), Danica Patrick (26), Denny Hamlin (37), Chris Buescher (26)

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/4880/yYVltC.png Ryan Newman P8 - Fordgalaxy - 530 Points (2 wins)

Used: Brad Keselowski (24), Ricky Stenhouse (28), Martin Truex (60), Dale Earnhardt Jr (24), Kyle Larson (59), Clint Bowyer (31), Joey Logano (36), Ryan Blaney (4), Kevin Harvick (47), Denny Hamlin (36), Kyle Busch (48), Chase Elliott (1), Kurt Busch (1), Jamie McMurray (3), Matt Kenseth (39), Danica Patrick (20), Kasey Kahne (23), Jimmie Johnson (3), Erik Jones (0), Daniel Suarez (30), Matt DiBenedetto (1), Ryan Newman (12)

I'm not sure because each car had one and they were all in the same basic position and didn't move. Not sure why they'd have a wiper anyway since they don't run in the rain and having a working wiper would warrant a motor to run it and more wiring/switches.

The wiper motor is required at all road course races, because if NASCAR does opt to run the rain tire, they have to be able to hook the blade up on the fly. They do keep a rain tire on hand for the road course races.

As for why they chose to attach the blade, there is some aerodynamic advantage to creating that bit of turbulence across the windshield. This trend started about two years ago, and they've become more and more prevalent with each road course race since.

I'll have to go back and review it, it had been a while since I've seen it and I usually agree with you about NASCAR issues. My memories of it are that there were numerous cautions and cars were flying off the road, which personally I don't enjoy...

I'll have to go back and review it, it had been a while since I've seen it and I usually agree with you about NASCAR issues. My memories of it are that there were numerous cautions and cars were flying off the road, which personally I don't enjoy...

There were quite a few off-course excursions, but the vast majority of them were simply slide-offs that got back rolling pretty quickly. It was a very sloppy race; but I remember NASCAR letting them race through most of the minor incidents.

I liked the race because it allowed drivers to 'push the limits' of aggressive driving without extreme consequences. It really became a game of chicken to make a pass, and no one dominant car was able to win on horsepower or handling alone. Any given driver could hold it a little more open, or get back into the throttle a little quicker, but they couldn't always get away with it... so the question became very simply "can you make it stick?"

It was a little bit like a cross between a dirt track and a road course in that sense.

There were quite a few off-course excursions, but the vast majority of them were simply slide-offs that got back rolling pretty quickly. It was a very sloppy race; but I remember NASCAR letting them race through most of the minor incidents.

I liked the race because it allowed drivers to 'push the limits' of aggressive driving without extreme consequences. It really became a game of chicken to make a pass, and no one dominant car was able to win on horsepower or handling alone. Any given driver could hold it a little more open, or get back into the throttle a little quicker, but they couldn't always get away with it... so the question became very simply "can you make it stick?"

It was a little bit like a cross between a dirt track and a road course in that sense.

So I guess I wasn't that far off in my memory. It just seemed to be a matter of luck to me, in that sense it was more like a plate race, which I despise the randomness of. Of course, I could be not giving the drivers enough credit for their skill and attributing things more to luck.

The wiper motor is required at all road course races, because if NASCAR does opt to run the rain tire, they have to be able to hook the blade up on the fly. They do keep a rain tire on hand for the road course races.

As for why they chose to attach the blade, there is some aerodynamic advantage to creating that bit of turbulence across the windshield. This trend started about two years ago, and they've become more and more prevalent with each road course race since.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that they ever raced in the rain in NASCAR, which is interesting since F1 races in the rain.

blueschica- Paul Menard

I've dealt with vertigo myself and it is nerve wracking! You just have no idea how long it will take to go away. Best wishes to your hubby...

Thanks! The Dr. gave him medicine, which didn't help, but now he goes to physical therapy and the exercises are helping a lot. Also it has gotten better some with time. The physical therapist thought maybe 4 or 5 more weeks but it's hard to know. It always helps to hear that someone else has survived, so thank you!

You know there is a chance that no one makes the playoffs. Racer X might win the whole damned thing.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that eschews actively managed stock portfolios.

The fact that Alph(a) Seeker isn't in this ruined a perfectly good joke.

Edited by laughedatbytime

William Byron to replace Kahne in the #5. Not really surprised but that leaves Johnson as the only veteran driver at Hendrick.

You know there is a chance that no one makes the playoffs. Racer X might win the whole damned thing.

That's really shocking to me, considering that RacerX performed so badly when we played this game last year... I chose RacerX as the playoff mark because I really thought it would be easy for most of the field to make the cut.

Bad call on my part. My apologies to the league. We'll make changes for next year.

That having been said- looking at the available player pools, I expect RacerX to tumble in the final few weeks here.

That's really shocking to me, considering that RacerX performed so badly when we played this game last year... I chose RacerX as the playoff mark because I really thought it would be easy for most of the field to make the cut.

Bad call on my part. My apologies to the league. We'll make changes for next year.

That having been said- looking at the available player pools, I expect RacerX to tumble in the final few weeks here.

This year is probably an anomaly but I found it comical that with 4 races to go we only have one person a mere 12 points clear of cutoff!