The First of each Genre

Bigbobby10

I get bored sometimes, so a new thread.

For this, I'm asking who you think was the first of the genre. That could mean different things to different people. Maybe they didn't start the genre, but they made hints at it in the past.

Or maybe the didn't start the genre, but popularized it. It is up to you to decide.

Here are examples of genres you can talk about (or add your own)

Acid Rock

Comedy Rock

Metal

Hard Rock

Progressive Rock

Psychedelic Rock

Alternative Rock

Punk

Glam Rock

Grunge

etc.

What in the world is Comedy Rock? Steve Martin singing King Tut? Seriously, I just have never heard of this . . .

The Streak, maybe. Actually, anyone remember Jorgie Jorgensen of "I Just Go Nuts At Christmas" fame? That was the 50s.

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: "Don't look, Ethel ! "

"You shameless hussy!"

• Like 2

Prog rock = King Crimson

Rock = Led Zeppelin

Pop = The Beatles

Heavy Metal = Black Sabbath

I'd fight you on this one. The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones all predated Zeppelin with hard a hard rock sound

I'd go as far back as the fifties.

Prog rock = King Crimson

Rock = Led Zeppelin

Pop = The Beatles

I'd fight you on this one. The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones all predated Zeppelin with hard a hard rock sound

I didn't mean to imply that they invented it, but they definitely beat Zeppelin to it

Prog rock = King Crimson

Rock = Led Zeppelin

Pop = The Beatles

I didn't mean to imply that they invented it, but they definitely beat Zeppelin to it

I was backing you up bud!

• Like 1

For this, I'm asking who you think was the first of the genre. That could mean different things to different people. Maybe they didn't start the genre, but they made hints at it in the past.

Or maybe the didn't start the genre, but popularized it. It is up to you to decide.

Acid Rock

Comedy Rock

Metal

Hard Rock

Progressive Rock

Psychedelic Rock

Alternative Rock

Punk

Glam Rock

Grunge

etc.

What in the world is Comedy Rock? Steve Martin singing King Tut? Seriously, I just have never heard of this . . .

The Streak, maybe. Actually, anyone remember Jorgie Jorgensen of "I Just Go Nuts At Christmas" fame? That was the 50s.

"Too late...she's already been mooned."
  • Like 1

Acid Rock

Comedy Rock

Metal

Hard Rock

Progressive Rock

Psychedelic Rock

Alternative Rock

Punk

Glam Rock

Grunge

etc.

Off the top of my head is the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and a lot of Frank Zappa. The Beatles, of course, dabbled with Comedy rock.

Revolution 9?

Acid Rock

Comedy Rock

Metal

Hard Rock

Progressive Rock

Psychedelic Rock

Alternative Rock

Punk

Glam Rock

Grunge

etc.

Off the top of my head is the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and a lot of Frank Zappa. The Beatles, of course, dabbled with Comedy rock.

Revolution 9?

"Yellow Submarine", "Drive My Car", "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Octopus's Garden", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "Her Majesty", "Rocky Raccoon"...

Also, their fan club Christmas releases.

Edited by ReRushed

Acid Rock

Comedy Rock

Metal

Hard Rock

Progressive Rock

Psychedelic Rock

Alternative Rock

Punk

Glam Rock

Grunge

etc.

Revolution 9?

"Yellow Submarine", "Drive My Car", "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Octopus's Garden", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "Her Majesty", "Rocky Raccoon"...

Also, their fan club Christmas releases.

The Lads were a silly lot!

Prog rock = King Crimson

Rock = Led Zeppelin

Pop = The Beatles

Maybe on one or two but not most types of music that are mentioned. The Beatles kicked the door wide open for a lot of these genres.