Advice for traveling by myself?

jamie

Hey guys, in about two weeks I'll be in Toronto for Rushcon! This will be my first time on a plane in over 10 years and it'll be the first time I've ever traveled alone. If anyone has any tips that could save me time or money that would be cool! Also I'm from southern california so I'll definitely freeze my ass off :P I don't know how I'll deal with that lol.
  • Like 1

The act of traveling, in and of itself, is not difficult to do alone. Actually, I personally found it more calming than traveling with parents, and as long as you read the signs/follow directions, it's all good!

Internationally: you're going to go through customs. Toronto customs suck and personnel are bitchy, but questions aren't hard: they're going to ask you where you're going, how long you're staying, may or may not ask you whether you have enough money for your stay. You'll get a customs form to fill out on the plane for goods (or if you don't, they'll have electronic kiosks, which are quite convenient). Generally you won't be declaring anything. Regardless, bring a pen or pencil in your carry-on, and keep it handy. Do your check-in before arriving at the airport.

Roll your clothes when packing for optimal luggage capacity. Bring a jacket onto the plane with you--Toronto will be cold in November, so wear a legitimate winter jacket, but you don't need one for exteme weather or anything. It counts as a personal item, which means that if you're bringing a carry-on luggage case you won't be able to carry a handbag or anything. Pockets are important. Don't wear a belt through security--you'll want to take it off on the plane for optimal comfort anyway. Dress comfortably and wear sneakers or something

As for money-saving in and of itself I don't know, but don't fall into tourist-traps. If you want to save money on food and are staying at a hotel you can still buy easily-consumable grocery store food and just eat that some nights. A few restaurant/cafe visits, as well as Rushcon itself, though, like, don't really worry about money. Explore the city, and, most importantly, have a lot of fun :)

edit: oh, write down the name and address of the hotel you're staying at. you might need it

and do research what's around your hotel and etc in terms of establishments, and what places you should see. I've never been to Toronto, personally, so I don't know of any highlights

for a bit of extra fun, if you have a credit card, order an alcoholic beverage on the plane. I've never done it, but TOG has, and since the cabin isn't pressured at sea-level you will get more light-headed and more relaxed. It's an experience in itself

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 4

Good advise there. ^^^^

I would just add...be cool. If you run into trouble, you're not going to figure the situation out if you freak. And have lots off fun!!!

• Like 1

Write your passport number down and leave that written number behind it home, just in case.

Otherwise, I think the bases have been pretty much covered. Have a great time!

I flew alone from Ohio to California (with a connecting flight in Denver) when I was 13. So it wasn't international, of course, but it was an experience. :P but everything was fine- and you will be, too.

If you are traveling to Canada for the first time here is the most important piece of advice you need to know: indulge in a Coffee Crisp candy bar or two. They are Canadian and SO DELICIOUS :drool:

Write your passport number down and leave that written number behind it home, just in case.

Otherwise, I think the bases have been pretty much covered. Have a great time!

I flew alone from Ohio to California (with a connecting flight in Denver) when I was 13. So it wasn't international, of course, but it was an experience. :P but everything was fine- and you will be, too.

I have color copies of my passport made. The main photo page that is. I keep one at home and one I fold and put in my wallet when I travel. If the passport is lost, the process of dealing with it is much easier IF you have such a copy.

Other: I write down import numbers, addresses, and emails ((ones back home and those at the vacation spot)). If your smart phone tech bites the dust, you might need them.

All the advice in here is quite good and useful. :yes:

Have fun and enjoy the Rush stuff and people. :)

If you are not renting a car, do not take a taxi from the airport. They are expensive (like 60 bucks!)! There is a shuttle that'll take you right to your hotel or very close to it for less than half as much for a round trip. Kiosks for the shuttle are all along the taxi and transport area of YYZ.

There's also an underground subway that goes from the airport to downtown (where you'll have to transfer another one for your stop). I've never taken it, but it's even cheaper still. Check at the info desk at the airport...should be easy enough. Have an awesome time! :)

• Like 1

You may also want to call your credit card company and let them know you will be travelling on which days. Sometimes your card can be denied as a protection.for you. I've had that happen. I did get a call from my credit card company almost right away and verified that it was legit.

You may also want to check with you cell phone provider and look into the international data rates. I have a company phone so I haven't had to worry about it, but it could save you a lot of money if you try to get a temporary international plan. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure someone else here can chime on and give you good advise on this.

• Like 3

You may also want to call your credit card company and let them know you will be travelling on which days. Sometimes your card can be denied as a protection.for you. I've had that happen. I did get a call from my credit card company almost right away and verified that it was legit.

You may also want to check with you cell phone provider and look into the international data rates. I have a company phone so I haven't had to worry about it, but it could save you a lot of money if you try to get a temporary international plan. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure someone else here can chime on and give you good advise on this.

If you have T-Mobile call and see if you can get the plan that considers Canadian calls as domestic.

Oh, and watch out for data use if you're roaming! If your plan considers Canada to be roaming/international then turn off data and use wifi only or you'll get charged a buttload.

If you are traveling to Canada for the first time here is the most important piece of advice you need to know: indulge in a Coffee Crisp candy bar or two. They are Canadian and SO DELICIOUS :drool:

Coffee Crisp are uniquely Canadian? This I did not know...you learn something new every day!

I would add: Tim Horton's is nowhere near as good as people say it is. Maybe their doughnuts er, donuts are good, but their coffee and tea taste weird and weak.

As one of the few Canadian non-beer drinkers, I understand that the beer up here is supposed to be okay...:)

have fun, safe travels, and bring a scarf!

Canucklehead

Coffee Crisp are uniquely Canadian? This I did not know...you learn something new every day!

I would add: Tim Horton's is nowhere near as good as people say it is. Maybe their doughnuts er, donuts are good, but their coffee and tea taste weird and weak.

As one of the few Canadian non-beer drinkers, I understand that the beer up here is supposed to be okay... :)

Canucklehead

I don't think their donuts/doughnuts are very good at all.

As one of the few Canadian non-beer drinkers, I understand that the beer up here is supposed to be okay... :)

Canucklehead

I don't think their donuts/doughnuts are very good at all.

Yeah, I was disappointed in both the doughnuts and coffee after hearing so much about them from everyone who had gone. They're not bad but I don't get the big deal.

Tim Horton's coffee tastes like someone ran a bunch of coffee thru a mackerel and then set the whole mess on fire.

:finbar:

:P

I've had the doughnuts, but not the coffee.

As I am rather a coffee snob anyway, I wouldn't be trying Tim's...but your post gave me a good laugh.

• Like 1

Tim Horton's coffee tastes like someone ran a bunch of coffee thru a mackerel and then set the whole mess on fire.

As I am rather a coffee snob anyway, I wouldn't be trying Tim's...but your post gave me a good laugh.

Hey Blue J!

I'm not even a big coffee drinker and I don't understand why Tim's, Second Cup, Starbucks, Bridgehead etc etc are as popular as they are. It obviously has to do with convenience (or free wi-fi), as homemade coffee and tea are so much better. Or maybe there are people who enjoy standing in lines, ordering things.

Brewing up a pot right now: generic Sumatran, yum!

• Like 1

I usually travel with a photocopy of my passport, kept seperate from the actual passport. Just in case.
  • Like 1

Hey Blue J!

I'm not even a big coffee drinker and I don't understand why Tim's, Second Cup, Starbucks, Bridgehead etc etc are as popular as they are. It obviously has to do with convenience (or free wi-fi), as homemade coffee and tea are so much better. Or maybe there are people who enjoy standing in lines, ordering things.

I just enjoy paying 5x's the fair price for things.
  • Like 2