2016-17 NHL Season Thread

blueschica

People hate Crosby because he is the greatest of his generation. Haters love to hate on the great ones.

Yes. That's the only reason people don't like him. In fact, that's the only reason people COULD dislike him.

I actually think Kane's a better player than he is. So is Ovechkin. I don't hate either of them.

That says it all. Anyone who thinks this is ridiculous. I understand not liking opponents, but to make this statement shows your obvious lack of hockey knowledge.

Oh and Sid also dominates on the International scene:

Have you ever played the game? I don't mean on a screen with a controller.

Yes I have, but what has that go to do with it? And i have been watching the NHL since about 1980. So yeah, I know my shit when it comes to hockey.

Crosby is the greatest hockey player in the last 15 years. Not even close actually. Kane and Ovi are also great, but I have never seen or heard anyone claim either of them are better than Sid. I know that it is tough to be objective when ranking players, but try it sometime.

People hate Crosby because he is the greatest of his generation. Haters love to hate on the great ones.

Yes. That's the only reason people don't like him. In fact, that's the only reason people COULD dislike him.

I actually think Kane's a better player than he is. So is Ovechkin. I don't hate either of them.

That says it all. Anyone who thinks this is ridiculous. I understand not liking opponents, but to make this statement shows your obvious lack of hockey knowledge.

Yes I have, but what has that go to do with it? And i have been watching the NHL since about 1980. So yeah, I know my shit when it comes to hockey.

Crosby is the greatest hockey player in the last 15 years. Not even close actually. Kane and Ovi are also great, but I have never seen or heard anyone claim either of them are better than Sid. I know that it is tough to be objective when ranking players, but try it sometime.

Maybe you should read the next post I made. And then stop making yourself look foolish.

Maybe you should read the next post I made. And then stop making yourself look foolish.

I'll give you 1.

Like i said you're the foolish one who can't be objective. Maybe actually watch the NHL games and you'll see that Sid is the best.

I'll give you 1.

Like i said you're the foolish one who can't be objective. Maybe actually watch the NHL games and you'll see that Sid is the best.

Should the panel of experts who agree Kane is the best player right now also watch some games too?

You're still doing it. See if you can stop. I'll bet you can if you really, really concentrate.

I'll give you 1.

How many games did you watch this year? Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 1

I buy center ice every year and watch 1-3 hockey games a day during the season. Now I am not going to come into this thread and act like Sidney isn't a great player, he definitely is. I would rank him as one the the top 5 offensive players in the league. Could he be the best? He could. He also benefits from playing on great teams and with great talent both in the league and internationally.

But statements like "Crosby is the greatest hockey player in the last 15 years. Not even close actually" are laughable and scream of fanboyism that is not based in any kind of reality.

Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 2

I buy center ice every year and watch 1-3 hockey games a day during the season. Now I am not going to come into this thread and act like Sidney isn't a great player, he definitely is. I would rank him as one the the top 5 offensive players in the league. Could he be the best? He could. He also benefits from playing on great teams and with great talent both in the league and internationally.

But statements like "Crosby is the greatest hockey player in the last 15 years. Not even close actually" are laughable and scream of fanboyism that is not based in any kind of reality.

Suggesting Kane and Ovechkin don't even belong in a conversation about the league's best player kind of proves he's not the most dedicated hockey fan.

• Like 1

Suggesting Kane and Ovechkin don't even belong in a conversation about the league's best player kind of proves he's not the most dedicated hockey fan.

And just wait and watch how Austin Matthews and Connor McDavid change the discussion in the next couple of years.
  • Like 1

And just wait and watch how Austin Matthews and Connor McDavid change the discussion in the next couple of years.

I'd throw Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel in there too, maybe not quite at the other two's level right now.

• Like 1

I'll give you 1.

I'll bet you're not at all fun at parties.

Seems to me you're more of a Pens fan than a hockey fan. Which is fine, but don't pretend you're not biased.

• Like 2

I'd throw Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel in there too, maybe not quite at the other two's level right now.

Those guys are going to be good players but on bad teams. They won't stand out as much as Matthews and McDavid because Toronto and Edmonton are young teams with brighter futures than Calgary and Buffalo.

But yeah, talented youngsters for sure.

• Like 1

Pens vs. Caps starts tonight! It will be interesting to see what happens. Pens have Crosby AND Malkin, who has been scoring well, but no Letang, a key defender last year. Plus co goal tender Murray is also out and Fleury often chokes in the playoffs. . . But bring it on !!! Phil Kessel rules! Edited by blueschica

Given the recent discussions, it sounds like I'm rubbing it in, but 2-0 Pens! Crosby scoring both goals! (I did laugh at RNB's video of the stick to the crotch by Crosby, though - old school !!) :LOL: Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

Its going to be no contest. The Capitals are gutless as a team. The Pens will walk right through to the cup.

I have been trying to put money on this series all week but I couldn't get any takers and Vegas is too far away.

I wouldn't write them off just yet.

• Like 1

Its going to be no contest. The Capitals are gutless as a team. The Pens will walk right through to the cup.

I have been trying to put money on this series all week but I couldn't get any takers and Vegas is too far away.

I have a thousand dollars that says they are done. I can't find anyone to take the bet.

If I lost it would be the best money I ever spent.

I have a thousand dollars that says they are done. I can't find anyone to take the bet.

I wouldn't be comfortable betting so much money on a hockey series, though. In 2013 the Penguins got swept by the Bruins, and no one thought the Bruins had a prayer against them. Plus, Holtby is much better than either Murray or Fleury. By a lot.

I wouldn't be comfortable betting so much money on a hockey series, though. In 2013 the Penguins got swept by the Bruins, and no one thought the Bruins had a prayer against them. Plus, Holtby is much better than either Murray or Fleury. By a lot.

Holtby makes me nervous.

Well the Capitals are the better team. They have proven that over the course of the 2016-17 season.

Pens lost arguably the best defenseman in the NHL in Letang.

And one year the Caps have to NOT CHOKE, right?

It stinks to not have Letang, but that's why they play the games- and Fleury was pretty awesome Thursday night! Bring on tonight!

• Like 1

Series is far from over. Pens have withstood the Caps best efforts, but that doesn't mean Washington is done. Although the fact that they just can't beat Pittsburgh is bizarre. Caps have lost 8 out 9 playoff series against the Pens.