The Worst - Round Fourteen

Lorraine

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is(are) the worst song(s) on Counterparts?

• Animate
    • Stick It Out
    • Cut To The Chase
    • Nobody's Hero
    • Between Sun and Moon
    • Alien Shore
    • Speed of Love
    • Double Agent
    • Leave That Thing Alone
    • Cold Fire
    • Everyday Glory

Well I like five songs on this album so it's a little better. The others I could take or leave.

If my math is correct we are in agreement. Not sure they are the same songs but I checked off 6... :)

They're probably the same five. For the most part they're the ones that get played the most often on tour.

I checked and we didn't pick nearly the same ones... :LOL: Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

Stick It Out

Hate this song. HATE IT I SAY!

Otherwise, pretty decent album, a low standard release from Rush, but it contains two of my very favourite Rush songs: Cold Fire and Everyday Glory.

A fair bit to like, a little to love, and one song that just...shhhh I don't want to wake it up.

If this fine gentleman HATES a song on this album, calls it a low standard, it's a rocker.

Unless it's an apology and a plea for forgiveness, I think I'll skip it.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

The keepers are as follows... Animate, Cut To The Chase, Between Sun And Moon, Leave My Thing Alone and Cold Fire. Having said that "keepers" is a relative term. I don't mean "keepers" in comparison to Xanadu, Natural Science etc etc...

I listened to the first minute and he is certainly spot on 1000% and I mean that sincerely...

And what did he say in those sixty seconds?

Our sound is complete bullshit. music's great...sound, not so much!

I listened to the first minute and he is certainly spot on 1000% and I mean that sincerely...

And what did he say in those sixty seconds?

He basically said that live the songs kick buttocks but the studio versions are lacking that and are a bit weak. Mainly I think he was talking in terms of RTB and Presto...

Edit: What TM posted above will work... :)

Edited by Narpsberg

I'll agree with Ged, the execution was off. When they wanted to kick it up a notch, they were pulled back by their synth swimmies. It shows on the record. But live, as Ged says, in this era, these song rocked the arena (sans Xanadu of course). Will never forget the pyros for Double Agent this tour.

Song was kick arse live.

• Like 1

I loved this album when it was released- thought it was the best thing they'd done since Signals. Over time , though, it has lost some of its luster (only some), but I do think it's a very solid album.

That being said...The Speed of Love is my pick. They could have left that one behind.

• Like 3

Stick It Out

Hate this song. HATE IT I SAY!

Otherwise, pretty decent album, a low standard release from Rush, but it contains two of my very favourite Rush songs: Cold Fire and Everyday Glory.

A fair bit to like, a little to love, and one song that just...shhhh I don't want to wake it up.

If this fine gentleman HATES a song on this album, calls it a low standard, it's a rocker.

Production aside, this album is not really all that different from Presto and Roll The Bones.

I love hard rock and metal, and I would place this album closer to the Nickelback releases than I would, say, Guns N Roses or Metallica.

It rocks. Just not very well.

Edited by Segue Myles

That being said...The Speed of Love is my pick. They could have left that one behind.

They would have been better off leaving the entire album behind.

After the past four before CP, I didn't even pick this one up or even care much at the time that it was even released.

• Like 1

I definitely think that the latter '80s albums are better in terms of songwriting...and I didn't feel that way at the time. But they just have stronger songs. Counterparts is still decent, though. (Definitely better than the lonely turd that followed it).

Counterparts is the fifteenth studio album by Canadian rock band Rush, released on October 19, 1993. It became the band's highest charting album in the US, peaking at #2 on the Billboard 200 (only behind Pearl Jam's Vs.) Atlantic Records has claimed that the album went platinum, although the RIAA has it listed as gold.

For Lorraine ;). -

Some songs are heavy-sounding tracks like "Animate" and "Stick it Out", which topped the Billboard Album Rock Tracks chart for four weeks in late 1993, becoming the band's fifth single to do so. "Leave That Thing Alone" earned a Grammy nomination for "Best Instrumental".

Personally I recall Counterparts being a resurgence record for Rush at the time, both on the radio and in the arenas.

• Like 3

After the past four before CP, I didn't even pick this one up or even care much at the time that it was even released.

Now, that's sad, that they had lost you as a fan by that point. to the point where you wouldn't even buy the album.

• Like 1

You had more patience and devotion than I...

I can understand the both of you.

I think in the nineties I would have been a total goth. Rush...pfft...its more like Paradise Lost or The Gathering for me!

But seriously, Rush were a decent band back then...but not particularly interesting.

I can understand the both of you.

Real life really went into high gear and they lost me around Power Windows...