ALIEN

RUSHHEAD666

Jaws and Alien/s are better than any of the scary movies made the last thirty years.

I know loads of people my age and younger who still get creeped out...most modern horrors just get a yawn.

I think a lot of that has to do with the modern moviemakers. They have forgotten the basic premise of fear… The scariest thing is not necessarily on the screen but in your mind. What a person can imagine is always worse them what they can reproduce with a rubber monster or digital effects. The first movie was so scary because you didn't really get a good view of the alien until at the end.

You know, computer graphics have nothing going for them in horror movies. The shaky, hokey shoddiness of old school special effects, combined with the blink and you'll miss it editing, really ramped up the tension.

One instance is the remake of Dont Be Afraid Of The Dark. The little monsters look too...beautifully realised, and somehow even more unrealistic than the strange stop motion effects of the original. Plus, when you see them ALL THE TIME, they lose their creepiness and end up being another modern fantasy creature.

Jaws and the first Alien work coz you don't really see as much if the monster as you remember, and it is so effective!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

Jaws and Alien/s are better than any of the scary movies made the last thirty years.

I know loads of people my age and younger who still get creeped out...most modern horrors just get a yawn.

I think a lot of that has to do with the modern moviemakers. They have forgotten the basic premise of fear… The scariest thing is not necessarily on the screen but in your mind. What a person can imagine is always worse them what they can reproduce with a rubber monster or digital effects. The first movie was so scary because you didn't really get a good view of the alien until at the end.

You know, computer graphics have nothing going for them in horror movies. The shaky, hokey shoddiness of old school special effects, combined with the blink and you'll miss it editing, really ramped up the tension.

One instance is the remake of Dont Be Afraid Of The Dark. The little monsters look too...beautifully realised, and somehow even more unrealistic than the strange stop motion effects of the original. Plus, when you see them ALL THE TIME, they lose their creepiness and end up being another modern fantasy creature.

Jaws and the first Alien work coz you don't really see as much if the monster as you remember, and it is so effective!

Oh, how I hate CGI. I can't think of many movies in which I think it works (maybe Jurassic Park? But even that had a lot more traditional practical special effects than people usually remember). I think the most glaring example for me is the difference between John Carpenter's The Thing, and the 2011 prequel. The 1982 film's effects still stand up, IMO, and are amazing. The CGI in the 2011 film was bad and distracting, and took me out of the moment. Also, I've yet to see any sort of monster transformation in CGI that comes anywhere near to the werewolf transformation in An American Werewolf In London.

• Like 3

Oh, how I hate CGI. I can't think of many movies in which I think it works (maybe Jurassic Park? But even that had a lot more traditional practical special effects than people usually remember). I think the most glaring example for me is the difference between John Carpenter's The Thing, and the 2011 prequel. The 1982 film's effects still stand up, IMO, and are amazing. The CGI in the 2011 film was bad and distracting, and took me out of the moment. Also, I've yet to see any sort of monster transformation in CGI that comes anywhere near to the werewolf transformation in An American Werewolf In London.

CGI has its moments, but it used for everything and that bugs me.

I love old schoool puppetry. The dragon in Dragonslayer comes to mind.

I do love the effects in recent Planet of the Apes movies.

I haven't seen the newest movie yet, but the first one was definitely good.

I love the first two Alien movies. I'm having a hard time recalling the ones that came after them, though I know I saw them. Anyways, I think the alien is the most terrifying movie monster ever made. Nothing even comes close. Just picture it in your mind, doesn't it's image make your skin crawl and want to flee in terror? The best thing about the alien is that it looks so real. If it was some CGI shit, I know I wouldn't be as afraid of it. The way it looks is just perfect. You couldn't get a more frightening looking thing.

I've got the first two movies on DVD. I haven't seen them in a while, so it's time to go dig them out and watch again.

CGI is good in moderation. Someone needs to mention that to Peter Jackson.

This^^^. When they couldn't get the shark to "work", Spielberg in his brilliance made the movie more "scary" by playing on ones own imagination. Genius really...

CGI is good in moderation. Someone needs to mention that to Peter Jackson.

I dunno, his King Kong I thought turned CGI into real artistry (it gets a lot of flack, but I am a big fan of it). And LOTR created a vivid world that I believed in.

The Hobbit...not convinced, I was miffed. Way too much showimg off

• Like 1

Holy Cat Shit Batman! Lots of cat lovers on here want my Rushead on a silver platter!

Just didn't think there needed to be a frigging cat in space.

Well then you guys must love the 1978 Disney classic, "The Cat From Outer Space!" LOL! This film came out in 1978.

http://video.disney.com/watch/the-cat-from-outer-space-trailer-4be1031cc16d049519ec4e85

"ALIEN" came out in 1979! Are these films related? Jones and Jake. Perhaps the cats are related too! HAHAHA!

Sorry! Not a cat fan!

• Like 1

Holy Cat Shit Batman! Lots of cat lovers on here want my Rushead on a silver platter!

Well then you guys must love the 1978 Disney classic, "The Cat From Outer Space!" LOL! This film came out in 1978.

http://video.disney.com/watch/the-cat-from-outer-space-trailer-4be1031cc16d049519ec4e85

"ALIEN" came out in 1979! Are these films related? Jones and Jake. Perhaps the cats are related too! HAHAHA!

Sorry! Not a cat fan!

Nevermind, nobody's perfect (unless you're a cat!)

• Like 2

http://video.disney....16d049519ec4e85

Sorry! Not a cat fan!

Don't you mean "purrfect?" LOL!!!!!

I have a pug. That's all I can handle.

Has always been my favorite movie. Haunted me all summer after seeing it in the theater as a kid. Couldn't look at the night sky without seeing cold malevolence. Couldn't sleep the first two nights after seeing it as I'd keep thinking of the scene where Dallas is trapped in the ducts with the alien. Totally irrational -- I knew it was only a movie -- but I just couldn't get the claustrophobia and a creature whose "perfection is matched only by its hostility" out of my mind.

Edit: the quote properly goes "it's structural perfection is matched only by it's hostility." Whoever thought up that line should have got a star for the day; sure creeped me out.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

I personally think Ridley Scott's best films are unbeatable.

Alien, Blade Runner, Kingdom Of Heaven (Director's Cut), Gladiator...seriously...if these were the only films I ever saw I would be more than satisfied.

Perfection. Alien is perfection. It was unique for its day, and it is still magnificent because decades of being copied, analysed, rerun countless times on telly, and all the blockbusters that owe a huge debt to it still cannot change the fact that every moment a person watches it for the first time, it is inevitable that they will be gripped, touched, creeped out, terrified, and subsequently haunted. The fact it is also addictive, with a stupendously great first sequel, adds to its charm.

No matter how many times you watch Alien, there are moments of vivid, terrifying tension, a seething claustrophobia, that get to you, even if the script is memorized, the score is drilled into your brain, and the mis en scene of every frame is painted across your memory like an experience you actually had.

What really makes Alien special, though, is that all of the characters are portayed as real people. No stereotypes, no clichéd beauty queen in distress, no cocky dumb jocks. Real people, the type of which we walk past everyday in town centres and supermarkets.

When it all hits the fan, it is devastating. I tend to think of Alien more as a "what if?" style drama, than a mere science fiction horror.

Can you guess that I am a fan?

And I actually enjoy the sequel a tad bit more (but I view that as more of an action film, where as the first Alien is pure horror, and high art).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

The Alien soundtrack is also fantastic. The music during the opening credits, or when the Nostromo is approaching the planet(oid), or the exterior view of the spaceship after they've ejected Kane's body and before they start to hunt for the chestburster. Lonely and haunting. Goldsmith is a master. Like his music for Patton it is part of what makes the movie special.
  • Like 2

EARL! I can't lie to you about your chances but you have my sympathies...

Hahaha, I believe you just won the internet.

Michael Bein back as Hicks!? DAMN!! I didn't even know they were making an Alien 5, this is great news!!

Alien 3 wasn't... TERRIBLE terrible but it's much worse than the first 2. Ressurection is probably worse than 3, and I can't stomach that failed clone scene at all. It's repulsive.

Kudos to the guy who mentioned how much better The Thing (1982) looks today than The Thing (that should not be) from 2011.

Edited by Del_Duio

The Alien soundtrack is also fantastic. The music during the opening credits, or when the Nostromo is approaching the planet(oid), or the exterior view of the spaceship after they've ejected Kane's body and before they start to hunt for the chestburster. Lonely and haunting. Goldsmith is a master. Like his music for Patton it is part of what makes the movie special.

Alien Isolation (the game) is a lot like this too. Perfect music akin to the original.

Alien is how all horror/suspense movies should be made. I remember seeing it when it came out at the ripe old age of 14. It scared the snot out of me.
  • Like 1

Sorry! Not a cat fan!

Meow! :pussy: :P

Watching this movie now.

It withstands the test of time.

One of the greatest films of all time.

Weaver is absolutely the best!

RIP GIGER

Scott is amazing

My only quirk is the stupid cat.

Check this out at 14:20 :LOL: . I like cats but I had the exact same reaction.

Hey, don't be hating on Jonesy. He's no Toonces, but he has great screen presence.

http://catsonfilm.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/aliens04.jpg?w=640&h=344

Hey, don't be hating on Jonesy. He's no Toonces, but he has great screen presence.

Even you guys who do not like cats, it does at least add something to the film: isolated for months, maybe years on a spaceship, undoubtedly for company a pet would make absolute sense, and a cat can easily look after itself without much hassle.

• Like 1

Even you guys who do not like cats, it does at least add something to the film: isolated for months, maybe years on a spaceship, undoubtedly for company a pet would make absolute sense, and a cat can easily look after itself without much hassle.

Plus it can chase and catch the random space herpes.