Ray Danniels Weighs In on a "Final?" tour.

mandydog

It's a little bit scary to read the full interview. I know it's his job, but Ray sounds like he'd kill his mom to get another dollar.

I got that feeling as well, but I'm always a little biased against business-y things. Didn't Ray also call Rush "washed up hasbeens" or something at one point?

Yes. In the nineties. I could never understand why Rush kept a manager who thought they were so washed up and out.

In fairness, most of the comments Ray supposedly said to Sammy were basically true:

""Ray even bad-mouthed Rush to me," said an incredulous Hagar. "Can you

believe it? He was saying shit like, 'If they had a good singer, they

could have made it on pop radio.' He was telling me that with the kind

of music they play, Rush would never be any more than they already have

been. I started hammering him with questions. I said, 'Ray, Rush should

have been the Canadian Led Zeppelin. Why don't they sell records? Why

did their last record only do 400,000 or 500,000 records?' He said to

me, 'If they only had a singer.'"

The "washed up" stuff was supposedly told to Alex VH and then Alex told Sammy. And, of course, we know the last album only did 400-500k because it was Counterparts. I mean, who could sell that piece?

You can't blame the singer when they're playing KC and the Sunshine Band music.

Funny bit from the Interview:

Q: As you began to manage Rush, Geddy Lee was fired....

Ray: I don’t remember this. Where the f**k did this come from? We were kids. This wasn’t like changing something because something wasn’t working. They were practicing in somebody’s basement. We were kids. Give me a break.

[Rush bassist/singer Geddy Lee has talked about how he was once fired from the band. The dismissal happened before their recording career started, when they were a four-piece with original drummer John Rutsey, and Lindy Young on piano. Shortly after Ray Danniels was hired to be their manager. “Ray came along. He had no real reputation yet as a manager or anything,” Lee told Classic Rock. “He was just kind of an agent working in Toronto. “So he started directing the band and he just thought I wasn’t suitable, for whatever reasons he had.”]

Anyone else know more about the Vic Wilson-Rush break up?

Vic Wilson left in 1980. Is it true that Rush members said to you, “He goes or we go?”

Not really. It was not that severe. It was time. He wasn’t getting along with them. They weren’t happy with him. There was not a good relationship there. Vic’s ambitions were not the same as my ambitions. Vic was 7 years older than me. There were a lot of things that mattered to Vic that didn’t matter to me. I was still living for the band. I wanted the band to be successful, and I was on the same page with the band on certain things that he just wasn’t.

The more I read things, the more I get the idea they don't want to do the major three hour full production extravaganza since they ARE getting a bit older, and it's a tiring thing at their age to just go out and DO that...I'm sure as a musician, it's a VERY physical show! The comment that set me in THAT direction was when he said:

"But I will tell you this. I am probably not going to be able to get a band full of 65 year olds out again on the road--which is what would happen next time with any potential tour--they all would be 65-ish. Neil is as much an athlete as he is a musician, but with these 2 1/2 and 3 hour length sets, I don’t know if it possible to keep up with that (physical) demand. And they each want to go out on top in every single way."

That comment ALSO made me think that it IS highly possible for a SECOND leg to this tour....

The way they keep talking about it, I have a feeling this really is it as far as touring goes. If they add a second leg is anyones guess, but after this tour, I wouldn't count on being able to see them live again. Sell your first born, a kidney or something but get to a show this time if at all possible.
  • Like 2

A second leg looks pretty doubtful I think, I really get the vibe that Neil isn't very excited at all. Probably wants to get off the road ASAP. I suppose it's still possible though

I have gotten the impression that none of them are excited about it I just have a feeling they were pressured into doing it.

Well they pretty much said that last Fall. But I'm sure they also realize that if they were going to tour again it would need to be as soon as possible. No one likes to get old, and with a occupation like theirs that is in the public eye like that, every little thing will be nitpicked. I'm sure they don't want to go out on the road and people (and themselves) think it is crap.

I have gotten the impression that none of them are excited about it I just have a feeling they were pressured into doing it.

let's hope it doesn't show in alex and geddy's performances. it will be very apparent with neil, I predict, since he's looked pissed and bored since 1982

• Like 2

Well they pretty much said that last Fall. But I'm sure they also realize that if they were going to tour again it would need to be as soon as possible. No one likes to get old, and with a occupation like theirs that is in the public eye like that, every little thing will be nitpicked. I'm sure they don't want to go out on the road and people (and themselves) think it is crap.

I don't blame them, but take a look at their schedule. If it doesn't do them in fast, they are three over sixty men in fantastic shape. It's quite possible they are, but the schedule is packed - every other night for three weeks straight - time off - repeat - time off - repeat one last time.

I couldn't do

I don't blame them, but take a look at their schedule. If it doesn't do them in fast, they are three over sixty men in fantastic shape. It's quite possible they are, but the schedule is packed - every other night for three weeks straight - time off - repeat - time off - repeat one last time.

I couldn't do

Yeah but it also gets it over with faster. Even though they have it pretty cushy now off stage, just being out on the road is tough on them. Less time for Geddy to get sick or something.

I couldn't do

Yeah but it also gets it over with faster. Even though they have it pretty cushy now off stage, just being out on the road is tough on them. Less time for Geddy to get sick or something.

I was going to say that but decided not to - the schedule is set up to get the tour over as fast as possible and be done with it.

• Like 1

A second leg looks pretty doubtful I think, I really get the vibe that Neil isn't very excited at all. Probably wants to get off the road ASAP. I suppose it's still possible though

And the final show is in LA. Neil's home.

It's over people.

Last year I spent 113 days in Hotels for work. It is not all it seems.

I know this because I get a Per Diem for expenses.

Even staying at Marriott's gets old.

Being away from home sucks. Period.

If you have done this you understand.

I am also NOT under lights for 3 hours a night.

I am also 15 years younger than Rush.

It's OVER. Accept it

It's OVER. Accept it

All we have at this point is speculation and nothing more. Geddy seems to want to leave the door open on shorter tours or a new album. His appearance on That Metal Show pretty much debunks the fact that this is a "farewell" tour seeing as how Ged doesn't like the idea of that.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

It's OVER. Accept it

All we have at this point is speculation and nothing more. Geddy seems to want to leave the door open on shorter tours or a new album. His appearance on That Metal Show pretty much debunks the fact that this is a "farewell" tour seeing as how Ged doesn't like the idea of that.

I've said it before... Neil wanted to wait a couple years for his daughter to grow up before going on tour again.... Al was a little sleepy, but once on the road, he'll have fun, as usual... Geddy is NOT ready to stop, he's made that pretty clear, and that Ray Daniels statement (Some are ready to stop, some want to go on forever) really to me definitely illustrates the state of the band: ONE wants to stop, the other two want to go on.... Like I've said before, Neil's daughter won't be 5 forever.... Neil was ready to dispappear forever 15 years ago.... He got bored after a couple of years.... Let this pass... Maybe in a couple year's time Neil will be the first one to bug the other two to go on tour.... (Maybe his wife will kick him out the door, because she'll get tired of seeing him every day for weeks on end... "Call your buddies and get out of the house!!!!!") I'm pretty sure they'll be back together to record within a couple of years.... And if the other two don't want to follow, Geddy will go on... He's been ITCHING to go into the studio for months!!!!

• Like 1

It's OVER. Accept it

I've said it before... Neil wanted to wait a couple years for his daughter to grow up before going on tour again.... Al was a little sleepy, but once on the road, he'll have fun, as usual... Geddy is NOT ready to stop, he's made that pretty clear, and that Ray Daniels statement (Some are ready to stop, some want to go on forever) really to me definitely illustrates the state of the band: ONE wants to stop, the other two want to go on.... Like I've said before, Neil's daughter won't be 5 forever.... Neil was ready to dispappear forever 15 years ago.... He got bored after a couple of years.... Let this pass... Maybe in a couple year's time Neil will be the first one to bug the other two to go on tour.... (Maybe his wife will kick him out the door, because she'll get tired of seeing him every day for weeks on end... "Call your buddies and get out of the house!!!!!") I'm pretty sure they'll be back together to record within a couple of years.... And if the other two don't want to follow, Geddy will go on... He's been ITCHING to go into the studio for months!!!!

I think this might be true if they were 40 or even 50, but Neil has said multiple times how much he hates leaving Olivia, and comments on the pain he feels after every gig. Even if they don't call it a farewell tour, doesn't mean it won't be the last one. I want to optimistic, but there comes a point where they should hang it up. I say keep writing songs for sure, but I doubt they'll get Neil out on the road again.

• Like 2

It's OVER. Accept it

I think this might be true if they were 40 or even 50, but Neil has said multiple times how much he hates leaving Olivia, and comments on the pain he feels after every gig. Even if they don't call it a farewell tour, doesn't mean it won't be the last one. I want to optimistic, but there comes a point where they should hang it up. I say keep writing songs for sure, but I doubt they'll get Neil out on the road again.

We can speculate til we drop, but we won't really know for a few years.... I can see Geddy at that meeting going "Farewell??? You sure 'bout that?"

I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the months/years to come . . . I think they did a good job of stating where they are right now with the "last major tour of this magnitude ..." announcement, and it's a great way to handle it. So many bands announce final or "farewell" tours and then look silly when they look at the checkbook and decide to go back on tour again a few years later. (How many have the Eagles had? and how long before Motley Crue goes out again, despite that big press event signing some document . . ) The band, especially Geddy and Neil, have often talked about what an influence The Who have been on them and they are one of my FAVORITE bands. However, it has long been a joke between my husband and kids that Pete Townshend owes him the $20.00 he paid to see The Who's "farewell" tour in 1982- because they went back on their word! I'm thinking Rush doesn't want to be stuck in this kind of situation in a few months, years or whenever. :) Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Someone said Neil did not even do his annual pilgrimage (Solo) to the frozen lake in Ontario this February, apparently he was seen around LA last month.

If you read his books he loves that solitude up there, if he skipped it, 1st time in at least a decade.

I feel sadly a shift in priorities.

Everyone go see them.

I think there will be a huge gap after this tour. Then after around 10 years we will get the news that RUSH will be touring once again! By then Neil's daughter will be 15 and will probably like to see her old man on the skin in a real concert setting. So in an ironic turn of events the same person that might be the reason for the plug being pulled out might be pushing the plug right back in!

"Daddy, I want to see you play in a big concert!"

:haz: :rush: :haz:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

I think there will be a huge gap after this tour. Then after around 10 years we will get the news that RUSH will be touring once again! By then Neil's daughter will be 15 and will probably like to see her old man on the skin in a real concert setting. So in an ironic turn of events the same person that might be the reason for the plug being pulled out might be pushing the plug right back in!

"Daddy, I want to see you play in a big concert!"

:haz: :rush: :haz:

That's what concert videos are for, my dear.

If it didn't take Neil months to get ready for a tour as it is, it would kill him at 70+ years old.

• Like 4