Interstellar - A Magnificent Film

Principled Man

Saw it over the holiday. Liked it a lot. There was a lot of science about the theory of relativity that might go over some peoples heads. When we were walking out of the theater, I heard a girl behind me say "I think I'm too dumb for that movie"

....implausible science....

That is the beauty of science fiction films; the film makers can take the implausible, the improbable, the next-to-impossible, and make it into a great film.

Science fiction is the improbable made possible. Fantasy is the impossible made probable. (Rod Serling) :haz:

SERLING RULES!

Watching the Twilight Zone Marathon right now. DVR makes it nice. No commercials and I can pick and choose.

....implausible science....

That is the beauty of science fiction films; the film makers can take the implausible, the improbable, the next-to-impossible, and make it into a great film.

Science fiction is the improbable made possible. Fantasy is the impossible made probable. (Rod Serling) :haz:

SERLING RULES!

Watching the Twilight Zone Marathon right now. DVR makes it nice. No commercials and I can pick and choose.

Excellent!!!! Rod Rules!

Just came home from watching it, and still have bits of it flashing in my head. There´s not a single bad scene in this movie - all the acting is top notch. And me recently becoming a father, watching the father-daughter relationship that permeates the plot made it all the more interesting and emotional. After watching this I realized Nolan is quickly becoming my favorite director now.

Well stated!

I've not seen this yet so shut up you RUSH freaks :smash: :bang bang: You damn RUSH poser nerds! :nya nya: :tsk: Just SHUT UP about this film or I shall destroy you all! :madra: :blaze:

LOL!!!!!!!!

:16ton:

Treeduck! The Best! "We Rule The Night!" The title to my new metal hit song.

I've not seen this yet so shut up you RUSH freaks :smash: :bang bang: You damn RUSH poser nerds! :nya nya: :tsk: Just SHUT UP about this film or I shall destroy you all! :madra: :blaze:

LOL!!!!!!!!

:16ton:

Treeduck! The Best! "We Rule The Night!" The title to my new metal hit song.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

What do you think of the Sweet & Lynch songs you've heard so far Earl?

I liked the movie a lot, but some of the plot holes and contrivances just pulled me out of what was a spectacular visual experience. Some things that bothered me:

1. So, Cooper worked with all the NASA people before, they agree he's perfect for the job, they are working a few hours from his house (um...ok), and no one called him. But he shows up a couple of days before the mission and now he's the pilot. What the f**k?

2. Huge waves in one foot of water. Huh?

3. The "ghost" gave you the coordinates of the secret base, but also told you to stay. Make up your mind future you!

4. People from the future survived, yet saw the need to come back in time to help the humans...survive? That's just dumb.

5. Gravity would have killed everyone several times over.

I watched it again last Sunday, and it still kicks ass. Yes, there are some plot holes and physics inaccuracies, but these issues don't make me enjoy it less.

Science fiction films are unique. These days, they are critiqued not just for acting, plot, script, direction, etc., but also for scientific accuracy. I don't know of any other genre that receives such scrutiny. Many action-adventure films are panned for their implausible stunts, but SF films are raked over the coals by everyone - even scientists.

It's fascinating how audiences have become more scientifically sophisticated in the past generation or two. If Interstellar had been shown 40 years ago, would anyone have cared about the relativistic inaccuracies? I think not....

• Like 1

I liked the movie a lot, but some of the plot holes and contrivances just pulled me out of what was a spectacular visual experience. Some things that bothered me:

1. So, Cooper worked with all the NASA people before, they agree he's perfect for the job, they are working a few hours from his house (um...ok), and no one called him. But he shows up a couple of days before the mission and now he's the pilot. What the f**k?

Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch. I vaguely recall some Michael Caine dialogue addressing it, maybe, but can't recall.

I think the water was so shallow because the majority of it was up making the huge waves. They just happened to land in the calm before it hit. As soon as it hit, it was much deeper.

Another explanation I read was that the water was "bulging" due to gravitational forces from the black hole, and as the planet orbited, it moved them closer to where the water was bulged.

I don't know...it made more sense when the physicist was explaining it http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0006.gif

3. The "ghost" gave you the coordinates of the secret base, but also told you to stay. Make up your mind future you!

The "ghost" said to stay because it was Cooper, being all upset and banging on the bookshelf. As soon as he realised that what he was doing was having an effect on the past, and that he was the "ghost", he set about sending the info they collected from inside the black hole, including all the stuff they needed to know to ensure he went on the mission in the first place

4. People from the future survived, yet saw the need to come back in time to help the humans...survive? That's just dumb.

It's a paradox loop. The people only survived into the future because the future people (or rather Cooper) went back and gave them the information to survive into the future. If they didn't go back and help, they wouldn't have survived to go back and help them to survive and go back to help them survive to... :wacko:

It's a common time-travel trope...as a Doctor Who fan, trust me on this ;)

:cheers: Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2

I watched it again last Sunday, and it still kicks ass. Yes, there are some plot holes and physics inaccuracies, but these issues don't make me enjoy it less.

Science fiction films are unique. These days, they are critiqued not just for acting, plot, script, direction, etc., but also for scientific accuracy. I don't know of any other genre that receives such scrutiny. Many action-adventure films are panned for their implausible stunts, but SF films are raked over the coals by everyone - even scientists.

It's fascinating how audiences have become more scientifically sophisticated in the past generation or two. If Interstellar had been shown 40 years ago, would anyone have cared about the relativistic inaccuracies? I think not....

I could bet my year´s pay that a huge chunk of the people who objectively question the accuracy of such films read stories about a man ressuscitating three days after his death, or a woman turning to salt for looking back at her city, or a talking snake convincing a man to eat an apple, thus causing disgrace to all humanity, and say "I believe it"...go figure!!!!

I could bet my year´s pay that a huge chunk of the people who objectively question the accuracy of such films read stories about a man ressuscitating three days after his death, or a woman turning to salt for looking back at her city, or a talking snake convincing a man to eat an apple, thus causing disgrace to all humanity, and say "I believe it"...go figure!!!!

Let's not turn this thread into a religion-bashing exercise. I will say that there are people who are scientifically literate and people who are not. Those who are not, those who don't know anything about black holes, relativity, and astrophysics, would probably blow off the film entirely. Those who are literate would be the ones criticizing the accuracy of the science, as they have the better understanding of it.

I thought Interstellar was praised by the scientific community for it's lack of inaccuracies. Obviously they can't be 100% accurate, but compared to Gravity and other sci-fi flicks, this is probably seen as the gold standard

You're right. The few inaccuracies got some pretty good press right after the film debuted, but that's been it. It just goes to show how demanding people are regarding serious Sci-Fi films. They're not happy with 99% accuracy. They need 100%.... :laughing guy:

As Dr. Lee expressed it in his famous treatise on the subject, everything is torn apaaaaaaart!
  • Like 1

Yeah, that was a bit of a stretch. I vaguely recall some Michael Caine dialogue addressing it, maybe, but can't recall.

We can infer from the film that Dr. Brand and a Cooper went their separate ways many years before they met at the post-war site. Cooper had no knowledge of Brand's daughter. Cooper left his career as a engineer/pilot and became a farmer and raised a family. With the coming of the War and breakdown of governments, NASA went into seclusion.

Dr. Brand (Caine) told Cooper that they were going to launch Endeavor no matter what. They had to try regardless of the inexperience of the crew. Cooper's arrival was pure luck (or so they thought....). Little did they know that the future Cooper had sent NASA's coordinates (to himself and Murphy) from the 5-dimensional bookcase..... :o

We can infer from the film that Dr. Brand and a Cooper went their separate ways many years before they met at the post-war site. Cooper had no knowledge of Brand's daughter. Cooper left his career as a engineer/pilot and became a farmer and raised a family. With the coming of the War and breakdown of governments, NASA went into seclusion.

Dr. Brand (Caine) told Cooper that they were going to launch Endeavor no matter what. They had to try regardless of the inexperience of the crew. Cooper's arrival was pure luck (or so they thought....). Little did they know that the future Cooper had sent NASA's coordinates (to himself and Murphy) from the 5-dimensional bookcase..... :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK7ZF6jfJE

Did someone say 5th Dimension?????

:dweez: :7up: :7up: :7up: :dweez:

• Like 2

I think the water was so shallow because the majority of it was up making the huge waves. They just happened to land in the calm before it hit. As soon as it hit, it was much deeper.

Another explanation I read was that the water was "bulging" due to gravitational forces from the black hole, and as the planet orbited, it moved them closer to where the water was bulged.

I don't know...it made more sense when the physicist was explaining it http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0006.gif

The "ghost" said to stay because it was Cooper, being all upset and banging on the bookshelf. As soon as he realised that what he was doing was having an effect on the past, and that he was the "ghost", he set about sending the info they collected from inside the black hole, including all the stuff they needed to know to ensure he went on the mission in the first place

It's a paradox loop. The people only survived into the future because the future people (or rather Cooper) went back and gave them the information to survive into the future. If they didn't go back and help, they wouldn't have survived to go back and help them to survive and go back to help them survive to... :wacko:

It's a common time-travel trope...as a Doctor Who fan, trust me on this ;)

:cheers:

I think we agree on #1 and #5, and I'll give you #3. On the waves, they don't work that way. In shallow water they collapse on themselves. Gravity might account for it, but then the people would have been much, much lighter than they appeared in the movie.

As for the time paradox, it doesn't work. You have to survive to send someone back.

I think we agree on #1 and #5, and I'll give you #3. On the waves, they don't work that way. In shallow water they collapse on themselves. Gravity might account for it, but then the people would have been much, much lighter than they appeared in the movie.

As for the time paradox, it doesn't work. You have to survive to send someone back.

I'll pass on the waves...that's not my area, so I'll admit I don't know much about it.

But the time paradox makes total sense to me. As I said, it's a common Sci-fi trope that's been used again and again. Someone from the future going back in time and causing the very future they come from. Steven Moffat uses it a lot in Doctor Who (maybe too much)

So yes, they had to survive to send someone back, but they did survive, because of the very help they were sending back. Because it's a loop, cause doesn't necessarily have to come before effect.

It's exactly the same time-travel logic used to allow Kyle Reese to be John Connor's father in Terminator...or on a more basic level, used in Bill and Ted to escape from the prison cell (by getting the keys after they escape and going back in time and leaving them somewhere they can find them)

• Like 1