The Cigar thread

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Feb 9 2008, 01:02 AM)
recent trial and error have landed me a few new favorites, and a few that I wish I had never ever smoked. Of the really good ones, the best would be the Ghurka Triple Ligero, a spicey blend of ligeros under a very dark oily maduro wrapper. Lots of cedar and earthy flavors to it, also some hints of choclatu goodness, very full bodied, it's quickly flying up my personl favorites list. In fact I have yet to expereicne a bad cigar from any of the Ghurka varieties I have tried, and I've sampled quite a few. The Ghurka Class Regent Napalese Warrior still stands firm as my favorite of everything I have yet smoked- Cameroon wrapper surrounding Honduran binder and filler, it's a little cedary and earthy, very creamy and smooth, and it's only problem is it's a bit on the small side (6" x 50).

Of the bad cigars I've had lately, the one that sticks out most is the Cohiba XV (Xtra Vigoroso). A cigar calling itself extra vigorous is one I'm expecting to be knock-me-on-my-tail full bodied (as for instance the Rocky Patel Edge Maduro did, which was a great smoke), but the XV came up lacking and in fact didn't really have much flavor to it at all. It burned really quick, and was on the steep side for a single smoke. All in all a disapointment.

Hey, a fellow Gurkha fan! Cool! biggrin.gif trink39.gif

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rotting @ Feb 13 2008, 11:13 AM)
Im with george carlin " arent you sick and tired of all this cigar smoking bull*** in this country - laugh.gif

dazed025.gif Now do we talk smack about the things that you like?

No, no we don't. To each their own, buddy.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 13 2008, 11:23 AM)
Im with george carlin " arent you sick and tired of all this cigar smoking bull*** in this country -  laugh.gif

the smiley face indicates light hearted fun .

you know , like fun fun fun , till your daddy takes the T bird away?

QUOTE (rotting @ Feb 13 2008, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 13 2008, 11:23 AM)
Im with george carlin " arent you sick and tired of all this cigar smoking bull*** in this country -  laugh.gif

the smiley face indicates light hearted fun .

you know , like fun fun fun , till your daddy takes the T bird away?

What, you saying you're my Daddy now?!

I'm just kidding, man! laugh.gif Point taken.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 13 2008, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Feb 9 2008, 01:02 AM)
recent trial and error have landed me a few new favorites, and a few that I wish I had never ever smoked.  Of the really good ones, the best would be the Ghurka Triple Ligero, a spicey blend of ligeros under a very dark oily maduro wrapper.  Lots of cedar and earthy flavors to it, also some hints of choclatu goodness, very full bodied, it's quickly flying up my personl favorites list.  In fact I have yet to expereicne a bad cigar from any of the Ghurka varieties I have tried, and I've sampled quite a few.  The Ghurka Class Regent Napalese Warrior still stands firm as my favorite of everything I have yet smoked- Cameroon wrapper surrounding Honduran binder and filler, it's a little cedary and earthy, very creamy and smooth, and it's only problem is it's a bit on the small side (6" x 50).

Of the bad cigars I've had lately, the one that sticks out most is the Cohiba XV (Xtra Vigoroso).  A cigar calling itself extra vigorous is one I'm expecting to be knock-me-on-my-tail full bodied (as for instance the Rocky Patel Edge Maduro did, which was a great smoke), but the XV came up lacking and in fact didn't really have much flavor to it at all.  It burned really quick, and was on the steep side for a single smoke.  All in all a disapointment.

Hey, a fellow Gurkha fan! Cool! biggrin.gif trink39.gif

I'm a huge fan of Ghurka cigars, and I happened upon them almost by accident. Everything I have tried I have loved. For me the only other cigar companies in the same ballpark with Ghurka are Rocky Patel and CAO.

QUOTE (J0N @ Feb 15 2008, 09:52 AM)
Went to poland last week & inhaled 5 vanilla cigars at once - not good for the head ;o Will try and get a picture of it

while in poland did you go see vader ? goodpost.gif

went to a cigar and port wine tasting tonight at one of the smoke shops in the area that was very interesting and informative. The three cigars sampled were Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Maduro (very good) Don Pepin JJ Maduro (also very good) and Padilla 1932 (only so-so). The Olde World was medium to full bodied, little earthy and light to start but after a few minutes it picked up, had a nice spice note going, along with some cedar and other flavors, getting stronger as it burned. The JJ Maduro was actually almost the opposite, heavy spice note up front, and then slowed down to a nutty earthy smoothness at the end. The Padilla however, I found to be quite bland and overly mild, however I will admit by the time I got to it I probably couldn't apprciate it as well as I would have had it been the first cigar I had had tonight. I'll have to give that one another try at a later date and time.

right now.a very nice , saint luis rey. very smooth

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 5 2008, 04:10 PM)
right now.a very nice , saint luis rey. very smooth

I've heard a lot of good things about those. I'm going to try one soon.

I had a Gurkha Ancient Warrior earlier this afternoon. Great smoke!

today, a torcedor. did not lite up yet. will let ya know

I tried a new one the other night which I really, really enjoyed, Camancho Triple Maduro. It was quite strong, quite large, and very full bodied. Was saving it for when we started getting some really nice weather, and was not disappointed at all. Couple other really good ones lately, including Rocky Patel Decade and Sumatra (suplanting the Fusion as my favorite Rocky Patel), and the Ghurka G3 and Signature 101 Maduro (you might start to notice, I really, really like maduros).

revisiting an old favorite, Gurkha Connecticutt Reserve, haven't had one of these in almost a year, and it's just as good as I remember, mellow, flavorful, well constructed. Certainly not the best cigar Gurkha makes (I'd say Triple Ligero or Signature 101 Maduro so far), but a very nice, mild smoking experience.

I had my first experience with a cigar about a week and a half ago when I was in Washington DC. Don't remember the brand, but it was about $11 and I know it was Venezuelan and full-bodied and I bought it at Union Station.

It's probably either an acquired taste or I wasn't doing it right, but I was kind of underwhelmed.

tonight, agian a st.louie ray. f-n great

About a year ago, a good friend was down in Costa Rica, and he brought back a box of fresh handmade Costa Rican Puros. Tried one then and it was the god aulfulist thing I ever smoked. Since it was a gift, I thanked him and put the rest in the bottom of my humidor. This weekend I decided to revisit the hell stick, but to my surprise it had mellowed out very nicely. The first 1/4 inch was a bit harsh, but then it became quite enjoyable...Moral...Don't give up on what should be a good cigar...it just may need some aging.

cool10.gif cool10.gif

i am really hooked on st. louis rey . one fine f-n cigar

nope, not me