Jump to content


Bands like Rush


  • Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Band like Rush (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who's your favorite band like Rush between those 4?

  1. Andrew Gorczca (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. Tiles (7 votes [63.64%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 63.64%

  3. David Barrett Trio (4 votes [36.36%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 36.36%

  4. Electrum (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:11 AM

View PostRUDT, on 08 August 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

View Postsavagegrace26, on 07 August 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

Why is there no "none of the above" option?

To make you want to discover the bands listed in my poll, which i doubt many will do, but you can tell your favorite outside those bands.  The results as now :

David Barrett Trio 1 vote
Tiles 1 vote
Triumph 2 votes
Iron Maiden 1 vote
RASH 1 vote


Sponsored Post

#42 lifeson90

lifeson90

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1114 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, although a blatant image rip-off of rush, Triumph far away from sounding like them but Just a Game was a fine album

#43 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Here's a preview of the next DBT album, a new take on Xanadu :



#44 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

    The Dane of the Culinary Arts

  • Members *
  • 6125 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:I'm right here.
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Of course bands like Rush. Otherwise those bands wouldn't be worth listening too.

#45 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27719 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostRUDT, on 09 August 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Here's a preview of the next DBT album, a new take on Xanadu :


That was good.......

#46 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostNarpski, on 09 August 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 09 August 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

Here's a preview of the next DBT album, a new take on Xanadu :


That was good.......
Yep. I'd buy that

#47 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia
  • Interests:Reading, writing, sports, and Rock n' Roll

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostXanadoood, on 07 August 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph

Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

He is amazing. Triumph's set up is like Rush but not their music. I don't think, anyway.

They were a lot cheesier than Rush. Emmet is really the only virtuoso of the three. They were always goofy to me. It seems like Emmet is forcing himself to play in that hard rockin style .. It's wierd... He should have been strictly a jazz fusion or classical guitarist. He's got great chops.

Yeah, very radio hit friendly. They had their jazzier, bluesier pieces, but  overall they were playing the game (pun intended).

Emmet's voice is as good as his guitar playing, too. Very ear friendly and what a range. Holy s**t!
At the US Festival they were amazing. Rik was lights out. Thunder Seven is a fantastic effort
Thunder Seven is one of the best rock albums ever produced...regardless of Rush similarities.

#48 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia
  • Interests:Reading, writing, sports, and Rock n' Roll

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

If you guys (and gals) haven't heard Coheed & Cambria, you should.  The singer sounds almost exactly like a young Geddy in some songs, and he wrote a whole series of albums based on a storyline which he also made a comic series out of. (Damn, I sound like a band spokesman!)  Anyway, Google "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth."  I was impressed by the musicianship.  And, hey...I'm a 43-year-old lifelong Rush fan!

#49 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14365 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 09 August 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostXanadoood, on 07 August 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph

Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

He is amazing. Triumph's set up is like Rush but not their music. I don't think, anyway.

They were a lot cheesier than Rush. Emmet is really the only virtuoso of the three. They were always goofy to me. It seems like Emmet is forcing himself to play in that hard rockin style .. It's wierd... He should have been strictly a jazz fusion or classical guitarist. He's got great chops.

Yeah, very radio hit friendly. They had their jazzier, bluesier pieces, but  overall they were playing the game (pun intended).

Emmet's voice is as good as his guitar playing, too. Very ear friendly and what a range. Holy s**t!
At the US Festival they were amazing. Rik was lights out. Thunder Seven is a fantastic effort
Thunder Seven is one of the best rock albums ever produced...regardless of Rush similarities.
Ever produced? That's a stout statement. Though great, front to back, it certainly didn't get the press or acclaim. I love it. Essential Triumph for sure

#50 jamie

jamie

    The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

  • Members
  • 12162 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Perris,CA
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, bass players with long brown hair

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I've never listened to any of those 4 bands. Budgie is a lot like Rush in my opinion.

#51 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

View Postthegirlintherushshirt, on 10 August 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I've never listened to any of those 4 bands. Budgie is a lot like Rush in my opinion.

Yes Rush first period and Geddy's vocals

#52 MMCXII

MMCXII

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edmonton Alberta
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostLedRush, on 07 August 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

I like Tiles a lot.  With Terry Brown producing, Hugh Syme doing artwork, and Lifeson contributing some guitar, they certainly seem to be trying to milk that Rush connection.

Really? Cool maybe I'll check these guys out!

And the other three too for that matter since I've never heard of any of these bands lol

Also: as far as I'm concerned, people talking about obscure bands on here is always welcome because I've discovered some pretty cool bands by people in this forum!

#53 MMCXII

MMCXII

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edmonton Alberta
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

View Postthegirlintherushshirt, on 10 August 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

I've never listened to any of those 4 bands. Budgie is a lot like Rush in my opinion.

Grossly under-rated trio.. Singer/ bass player with a big nose and glasses that encompass his whole face squeeling out weird as hell lyrics like a raped goat.. Ya I'd say they're like Rush lol

#54 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7033 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

Check out Winterhawk's album Revival. I love it, but they really f***ing wanted to be Rush.

#55 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostStorm Shadow, on 14 August 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Check out Winterhawk's album Revival. I love it, but they really f***ing wanted to be Rush.

Thanks for that one, good stuff! i didn't know this band, some nice hard rock bluesy, influences from Rush 3 first albums...



#56 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gillette, Wyoming
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostRUDT, on 14 August 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostStorm Shadow, on 14 August 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Check out Winterhawk's album Revival. I love it, but they really f***ing wanted to be Rush.

Thanks for that one, good stuff! i didn't know this band, some nice hard rock bluesy, influences from Rush 3 first albums...



I cant believe this came out in '82. Sounds more 75. Ive never heard these guys..good stuff.

#57 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia
  • Interests:Reading, writing, sports, and Rock n' Roll

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

https://www.youtube....e&v=KI0BO575x8w     Out-Rushing Rush....

#58 Blue Barchetta

Blue Barchetta

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Georgia
  • Interests:Reading, writing, sports, and Rock n' Roll

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 24 August 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

With an organ added, of course.

#59 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostBlue Barchetta, on 24 August 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:


Listening to this good song, make me think how cool it would be to see Geddy play the organ...

#60 fraroc

fraroc

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2459 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

WHY IS THERE NO ZEBRA ON THIS LIST?!!!?!? BLASTPHEMY!!!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users