FIFA World Cup 2014: Brasil

Aikenrooster

Looking forward to Germany-Portugal Monday. Hoping that 'Schland can go deep...maybe even win it all!

This will be a great game...it´s a shame that I´ll be at work - it´ll be at 1pm here in Rio...

Looking forward to Germany-Portugal Monday. Hoping that 'Schland can go deep...maybe even win it all!

and the winner is...

Man here's hope that we'll make it this time. The team and the whole country are on fire. Go Deutschland.

and the winner is...

Man here's hope that we'll make it this time. The team and the whole country are on fire. Go Deutschland.

'SCHLAAAAAND!!!!!!

• Like 1

This will be a great game...it´s a shame that I´ll be at work - it´ll be at 1pm here in Rio...

Better luck next time (I assume you're a Portugal supporter)

No, I'm not particularly fond of Portugal. I have Lebanese and Italian background - both sides of my family ended up in Brazil after WW I.

No, I'm not particularly fond of Portugal. I have Lebanese and Italian background - both sides of my family ended up in Brazil after WW I.

Ahhh... Well, I hope the best for Italy in the Cup hunt.

USA!

Oh, Portugal... I was kinda pulling for Portugal, too, since I've visited that fine country, and am learning the language (the Brazilian dialect, Rodrigo!). But ouch.

And, goose, I've learned that Brazilians aren't particularly fond of the Portuguese. And vice-versa. Same language, very different cultures.

• Like 1

What a great success for the US boys. They've done very well in the defense. Congrats.
  • Like 2

USA!

Oh, Portugal... I was kinda pulling for Portugal, too, since I've visited that fine country, and am learning the language (the Brazilian dialect, Rodrigo!). But ouch.

And, goose, I've learned that Brazilians aren't particularly fond of the Portuguese. And vice-versa. Same language, very different cultures.

yeah, I guess only the Brazilians of Portuguese descend are incredibly passioned about the Portugal national team. It would have been nice to see them make it slightly more difficult for Germany though...

Hey, great win by the US team, ending a streak of God knows how many games losing to Ghana. Portugal - USA will be a decisive match indeed - if USA wins, they disqualify Portugal and qualify themselves. I just wish it made a bit more of an impact in the soccer fan base over there. I´ve never been to the US, but get the feeling that even if the won, it wouldn´t make much of a difference. Am I right?

Mexico Barely qualifies for the world cup and now they gut out a 0-0 tie with the host. They looked impressive.

I know! Great job by their goalie. Let's see what Russia - Korea brings us, but I don't really have high hopes for this game.

Mexico Barely qualifies for the world cup and now they gut out a 0-0 tie with the host. They looked impressive.

I know! Great job by their goalie. Let's see what Russia - Korea brings us, but I don't really have high hopes for this game.

Yeah their goalie was a hero today, Brazil's was tested a few times too. :ebert: one of the few times I didn't mind seeing a scoreless draw

I just wish it made a bit more of an impact in the soccer fan base over there. I´ve never been to the US, but get the feeling that even if the won, it wouldn´t make much of a difference. Am I right?

All historical experience points to a temporary spike in interest, followed by a slow wane and not much additional interest by the time of the next World Cup. At best, if the US wins the Cup it will lead to soccer vying with hockey to become the fourth most popular team sport. Possibly as the ethnic mix of the US changes it could to the NHL (even though the NHL is orders of magnitude more exciting than soccer.)

I just wish it made a bit more of an impact in the soccer fan base over there. I´ve never been to the US, but get the feeling that even if the won, it wouldn´t make much of a difference. Am I right?

All historical experience points to a temporary spike in interest, followed by a slow wane and not much additional interest by the time of the next World Cup. At best, if the US wins the Cup it will lead to soccer vying with hockey to become the fourth most popular team sport. Possibly as the ethnic mix of the US changes it could to the NHL (even though the NHL is orders of magnitude more exciting than soccer.)

What are you talking about? With the Kings winning the cup again, hockey will surge to third most popular easily!!!!

:P

What are you talking about? With the Kings winning the cup again, hockey will surge to third most popular easily!!!!

:P

For some reason, people like the NBA better. And while I don't, the TV ratings for it are about 3-4 times higher than they are for the NHL, during the playoffs...part of it might be the networks they're on, but I don't think there's much doubt the NBA is much more popular in the US than the NHL.