Vapor Trails Remixed up on Rolling Stone Website

Joesaracer

Holy shit, Ceiling Unlimited has a guitar solo! :o Wha.. what happened to the jam section! Wow, interesting.

HATE IT.

GOOBER HAS KIDNAPPED 73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, don't encourage him. I'd rather have people giving thoughtful opinions on the changes rather than making turd polishing troll-posts.

Exactly.

Listening to Peaceable Kingdom, and I'm really liking how it sounds now. It's still weird and snarky, but with separation and clarity.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Holy shit, Ceiling Unlimited has a guitar solo! :o Wha.. what happened to the jam section! Wow, interesting.

HATE IT.

Please, don't encourage him. I'd rather have people giving thoughtful opinions on the changes rather than making turd polishing troll-posts.

Exactly.

Listening to Peaceable Kingdom, and I'm really liking how it sounds now. It's still weird and snarky, but with separation and clarity.

You're right, of course -- Goob has the right to come into this thread and do his polishing-the-turd bit. But he's extremely annoying when doing it for the hundredth time (apparently he likes being seen that way) so that also means we have the right to call him out for it.

Anyhoo, continuing my listen here, and How It Is and Vapor Trail sound quite good. I'm encouraged.

HATE IT.

Exactly.

You're right, of course -- Goob has the right to come into this thread and do his polishing-the-turd bit. But he's extremely annoying when doing it for the hundredth time (apparently he likes being seen that way) so that also means we have the right to call him out for it.

Anyhoo, continuing my listen here, and How It Is and Vapor Trail sound quite good. I'm encouraged.

I'm stoked. I mean, put on my steam train-driver uniform & hat and run around the office going "CHOO-CHOO!" kinda stoked. That's stoked. I'll be a quivering blob of man jelly when I put on the vinyl. The percussion on Out of The Cradle, f**k.

HATE IT.

Exactly.

I'm stoked. I mean, put on my steam train-driver uniform & hat and run around the office going "CHOO-CHOO!" kinda stoked. That's stoked. I'll be a quivering blob of man jelly when I put on the vinyl. The percussion on Out of The Cradle, f**k.

Dare I say, Earthshine has been nicely cleaned up, yet it retains its trademark grungy heaviness?

HATE IT.

Exactly.

Dare I say, Earthshine has been nicely cleaned up, yet it retains its trademark grungy heaviness?

Yup. Still rocks like f**k, but clean as a whistle sonically.

Playing Freeze now, golly, it's wonderful.

in CU i miss that little shimmy by Al at the end of 'if laughter is a straw for a drowning man..' but love the pronounced solo bit

loads of geddy vocal echoes :) as in ghost rider wow

altogether very different album worth a few more listens before final judgement

Edited by lifeson90

HATE IT. Why'd they add that stupid little guitar solo there? That power chord section was my favorite part of the song, and now it's buried behind a solo that wasn't there before and didn't need to be added in! Don't change the songs, just make them sound better!

The song sounds good now apart from that.

Ive listened through it 4 times now, I like it. Some of the jam session is cut out, but id rather have half the jam session sound good with a solo than a fuzzy full jam session

So far the only potentially negative thoughts are on the CU solo and the GR opening. Anyone else hear anything they don't like?

I'm not a fan of that distortion in Peaceable Kingdom. To me it sounds like a part of the original album they forgot to fix. (Though honestly, I never had much of a problem with the original.)

• Like 1

I don't need the shitty RS site. The real thing:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/VaporTrailsremix_zps72309b06.jpg

I am so jealous, how did you get this already???

It's a strange unwritten law here in Germany. We can buy new stuff the Friday before it get's released. ;)

• Like 3

HATE IT. Why'd they add that stupid little guitar solo there? That power chord section was my favorite part of the song, and now it's buried behind a solo that wasn't there before and didn't need to be added in! Don't change the songs, just make them sound better!

Ive listened through it 4 times now, I like it. Some of the jam session is cut out, but id rather have half the jam session sound good with a solo than a fuzzy full jam session

None of the jam was cut out, but they added the guitar solo on top on part of it. They could have just left that solo out like they did 11 years ago.

I had to grab the original and blast CU. That's the highlight of the song for me too, not to mention a highlight of the album. That solo must have been playing underneath, I guess. Love how that original jam crescendoed. He neatly fit in that solo there, but with the new mix I really wanted that 'happy ending'. The solo seems anti-climactic to the building jam.

This could take some time to digest.

The quieter songs like Sweet Miracle, Ghost Rider, How it Is all sound a heck of a lot better. Freeze is finally listenable, and it sounds pretty good, especially when compared to the wall of static that was the original.

My favourite songs (Ceiling Unlimited, Nocturne, Vapor Trail and Peacible Kingdom) seem to have lost something in this new mix. They're not as heart pumping as the originals. I can't believe they slapped the solo on top of the jam of Ceiling Unlimited -- that was the best part of the song!

Looks like I'm going to have to burn a grey mix to keep in the car.

Holy shit. I'm not getting a headache listening to these songs back to back.

Geez, I thought I was the only person who experienced this in 2002!

No you're not. Aural fatigue is the main reason I can't listen to the original.. though I have the songs memorized ;)