Ghosts/paranormal happenings? Who believes? Curious! :)

hobo73

I think it's garbage, no offense to the OP. Have had several Ouija Boards. Never had an instance of communicating with "the other world" that didn't turn out to be someone moving the planchette. Nothing awful happened to anyone. When we reshelved the Board, it stayed put on its shelf, unlike in the movies where it mysteriously tempts the protagonists to have a seat and start channeling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ykvd__Wv9po#t=643s

From 10:45 on they do an experiment where they blindfold the people and turn the board around. The people's hands still moved to where the Yes and No spots were. :LOL:

Oh, and I didn't watch the whole video, but I'm assuming there's some swears so it's probably NSFW.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

when Europeans came into North America for the first time with their firearms, the native Americans thought it was magic/supernatural...until they were taught about them.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/jelward/Thunderstick.jpg

I think it's garbage, no offense to the OP. Have had several Ouija Boards. Never had an instance of communicating with "the other world" that didn't turn out to be someone moving the planchette. Nothing awful happened to anyone. When we reshelved the Board, it stayed put on its shelf, unlike in the movies where it mysteriously tempts the protagonists to have a seat and start channeling.

My in-laws are HUGE believers in the paranormal, despite being biblical literalists. Bro-in-law claims to have some serious second sight, and their house would seem to be some sort of supernatural freeway for all manner of beings if he is to be believed. My husband's nephew loves to tell the story (he doesn't believe and thinks his parents are slightly nuts) about waking up at 4 am one Easter morning to his mom shrieking something fierce in the kitchen. He went to investigate and found her yelling, "THIS IS A CHRISTIAN HOUSEHOLD!!!! GET OUT! NOT ON EASTER MORNING! NOT ON EASTER MORNING! while brandishing a Bible at the ceiling. Once my SIL called my husband in tears, worried that there was a demon stalking ME. They've got terrible trouble with demons, it seems.

They also firmly believe in the "orbs" in photos, even though it's been completely debunked by numerous sources (the "orbs" are light reflecting off of particles in the air).

A bit of history on my own house - two owners prior to us purchasing it, someone committed suicide in the bathtub. We've never seen or heard anything weird. The dogs never randomly freak out or stare fixedly at nothing. Regardless, my husband is under threat of perennial pain if he EVER tells his family about that. They'll go apeshit over it and we'll never hear the end of it.

No offense taken :)

I wanted this to be a respectful, intelligent conversation. I truly am curious to see all the different takes on this subject.

I fooled around for a short while with a Ouija board at a slumber party. I'm really, really neutral about those things. Nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. Then I hear passionate, adamant statements from people who claim to have had a terrifying experience- even some people who claim a demon has attached themselves and followed them around (I do believe spirits and demons can attach to people). I guess I have no real opinion about it- personally, it never did anything for me lol.

HAHAHA!!! sorry, but that whole "NOT ON EASTER MORNING!!!!!" thing made me DIE laughing ahahahaha I can picture it now!!! LMAO!!!!

I've never gotten THAT passionate about it lol- but only twice have I had to tell things to leave my home. The first time, they all left without trouble. I was very calm about it. Then second time, I was calm but very firm. I said this is my home, you are not welcome and I am TELLING you, you have to leave.

And they did.

idk if I could bathe in a "suicide tub" - :P - but yeah, death doesnt necessarily mean a haunting lmao.

I never experienced anything remotely close to a paranormal or psychic experience. I always try to apply Occam's razor to these types of debates - the simplest explanation is usually the correct one or more probable one.

HA!!! I love this so much hahahaha. "If TV show titles were honest".

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e337/hobo73/992862_10151620938300758_38501694_n.jpg

• Like 1

Never seen anything... But I've felt things before...

And heard them... One morning when hubby and I were on honeymoon, we were staying at this old house in Wales. I was lying in bed one morning and hubby had gone to make tea. As I was lying there I thought I could hear two male voices talking and coming up the stairs. I remember thinking "Why is Brett talking to a guy and letting him come up here?! I'm not up yet!" About two seconds after hubby appears with the tea and I ask "Who were you talking to?" He replied "No one. The tv is on downstairs." But I couldn't hear it.

• Like 1

Casper is a friendly ghost.

One Halloween I dressed up as Casper and went to 'that house' with the INTERESTING lady that kids avoided. I rang the bell and she opened the door but kept the chain on. I said loudly, "Trick or treat!" She was shaking and replied, "Be gone evil spirit!" I answered, "Lady, I'm a 6 year old boy in a plastic Woolworth costume!" She screamed louder and started pelting me with rosary beads, "Be gone evil spirit of a 6 year old boy in a plastic Woolworth costume!!!!" Halloween always was a f*cked up time of year. :blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 5

Well, things have happened to me that I cannot explain. I cannot say that they were supernatural experiences or not, only that they are unexplained.

At my Grandfather’s funeral, I felt something pass through my body. I was 13-14 years old. Can’t explain it but for about 10 seconds, I had a feeling of overwhelming joy and happiness.

All other experiences I have had have been auditory in nature. Loud bangs in the house that are unexplained mostly. That has happened a few times.

One Halloween I dressed up as Casper and went to 'that house' with the INTERESTING lady that kids avoided. I rang the bell and she opened the door but kept the chain on. I said loudly, "Trick or treat!" She was shaking and replied, "Be gone evil spirit!" I answered, "Lady, I'm a 6 year old boy in a plastic Woolworth costume!" She screamed louder and started pelting me with rosary beads, "Be gone evil spirit of a 6 year old boy in a plastic Woolworth costume!!!!" Halloween always was a f*cked up time of year. :blaze:

Your biggest mistake was forgetting to mention that "Casper is a friendly ghost.".

Why are all instances of "supernatural" occurrences always subtle, vague and insignificant? Why don't nice ghosts give out lotto numbers? Why do they make lights flicker and make noises that come from other rooms? Why not just walk up and say what their deal is? It's sillyness IMO.
  • Like 1

Why are all instances of "supernatural" occurrences always subtle, vague and insignificant? Why don't nice ghosts give out lotto numbers? Why do they make lights flicker and make noises that come from other rooms? Why not just walk up and say what their deal is? It's sillyness IMO.

I've had bold spirits come right up to me, most are shy. From my own experience, anyway.

But that is a good argument. I am loving this entire conversation!

- Why would a ghost be able to tell the future? I've never heard of a time-traveling ghost that journeys into the future in search of lotto numbers.

- I don't know about the light flickering in other room stuff. Interesting thought.

- The physical lack of vocal cords make conversation/small talk a major obstacle for ghosts.

• Like 1

Your biggest mistake was forgetting to mention that "Casper is a friendly ghost.".

I've never been that friendly. :blaze:

As someone who has experienced some ghost like stuff and has had a life long interest in the paranormal, I have an answer for your questions. First of all, most ghosts aren't psychic and can't predict the future and that's why they don't give out lotto numbers or tell you about the future. From the stuff I've read and TV shows I've seen about ghosts, a lot of the spirits aren't even aware that they are dead and are stuck in some kind of limbo between this life and whatever comes after it. So, they aren't in any position to tell you what the future holds.

As for lights flickering, it is a common belief that ghosts are made up of electromagnetic energy and when trying to manifest themselves they use a lot of it causing lights to flicker. For your final question, the reasons ghosts don't just walk up and tell us who they are and what they're doing is because they exist on another plain different from our reality. It is not easy for a lot of them to communicate with us because of that. Making noises is one of the ways they make their presence known because that is a simpler way to communicate with us than it is for us to hear them speak. It's a popular belief in the paranormal world that the octave level ghosts speak in is lower than what the human ear can hear. That's why so few of them have straight up conversations with people. In order to hear them speak it needs to be either a very powerful spirit or the human must be extra sensitive to spiritual activity.

• Like 1

As someone who has experienced some ghost like stuff and has had a life long interest in the paranormal, I have an answer for your questions. First of all, most ghosts aren't psychic and can't predict the future and that's why they don't give out lotto numbers or tell you about the future. From the stuff I've read and TV shows I've seen about ghosts, a lot of the spirits aren't even aware that they are dead and are stuck in some kind of limbo between this life and whatever comes after it. So, they aren't in any position to tell you what the future holds.

As for lights flickering, it is a common belief that ghosts are made up of electromagnetic energy and when trying to manifest themselves they use a lot of it causing lights to flicker. For your final question, the reasons ghosts don't just walk up and tell us who they are and what they're doing is because they exist on another plain different from our reality. It is not easy for a lot of them to communicate with us because of that. Making noises is one of the ways they make their presence known because that is a simpler way to communicate with us than it is for us to hear them speak. It's a popular belief in the paranormal world that the octave level ghosts speak in is lower than what the human ear can hear. That's why so few of them have straight up conversations with people. In order to hear them speak it needs to be either a very powerful spirit or the human must be extra sensitive to spiritual activity.

wow

a lot of interesting guesses there, J... ;)

here's the complete list of TRF ghosts:

AmeliaGhost

Ghost

ghost of a chance

Ghost of a Rider

Ghost of the Aragon

Ghost rider

ghost rider22

GhostGirl

Ghostnotes

GhostoftheAragon

GhostRider1

ghostrider2112x1

GhostRider712

ghostriderfan

GhostRyder

ghostworks

Ghostwriter

Space Ghost

Toasted Ghost

^ I can tell you from personal experience, not all of those ghosts are real - that said, some of us are legit

the real deal

do not be afraid

Logic should tell you if there is a physical realm we can feel smell and touch in all its complexity, there is a supernatural realm we can't that is all too real.

That's not logic. That's belief.

It would seem more logic than belief to me.

In any event...In the case of Mara...

Just because you play with a Ouija boards with no results, or you live in a home where someone killed them self and you experience no activity means nothing. Because someone commits suicide does not mean they have a malevolent spirit that stayed behind.

Sorry if this offends anyone but a belief that no paranormal realm exists at all seems very small minded to me. There are many things in the natural we have never experienced personally yet we know they are real.

To think every human and there are millions who have experienced something paranormal is nuts is ridiculous to me.

Edited by Tick

Funnily, though I was just joking, a few posts back I said many similar things in reply to umoveme's post

Interesting that back in the 80's we had a movie called "Ghostbuster" where a company actually specialized in "catching" and "detaining" pesky paranormal critters. Now we have a bevy of paranormal TV shows that actually "document" them in action. Seen some interesting stuff watching them.

Currently I live right behind a cemetary, have for 13 years. It's dedicated to the last slaves, or the families of slaves from this part of TN. Never had one experience in my current home. My only neighbor say's "they're at rest". Never feel weird or like I'm being watched...unless I'm watching Ghost Adventures...then, when the music starts manipulating my senses I get goosebumps.

When i was a young aspiring musician my drummer and I moved in together. The apartment was a top floor flat of a converted hotel. The first time I entered the apartment by myself I noticed a little boy run across the hall into a bedroom from the bathroom. Scared the crap outta me. Didn't say a word to my roomate---until---he noticed it---doing the same exact thing. This stuff exists. I guess that was, as Dan Akyroyd once chirped, a "repeating phantasm".

We ended up, my band and our lady friends, getting the ol' Ouija out. We should've filmed that---it was unbelieveable!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Funnily, though I was just joking, a few posts back I said many similar things in reply to umoveme's post

Even though you were joking, what you said about ghosts not being able to talk to us due to their lack of vocal chords does make sense.

Logic should tell you if there is a physical realm we can feel smell and touch in all its complexity, there is a supernatural realm we can't that is all too real.

That's not logic. That's belief.

It would seem more logic than belief to me.

In any event...In the case of Mara...

Just because you play with a Ouija boards with no results, or you live in a home where someone killed them self and you experience no activity means nothing. Because someone commits suicide does not mean they have a malevolent spirit that stayed behind.

Sorry if this offends anyone but a belief that no paranormal realm exists at all seems very small minded to me. There are many things in the natural we have never experienced personally yet we know they are real.

To think every human and there are millions who have experienced something paranormal is nuts in ridiculous to me.

I agree with your comments in regards to Mara's comments.

However, I can't agree with your idea of logic. According to your logic, since Harry Potter-type magic and teleportation don't exist in this 'dimension' they LOGICALLY must exist in another? The same goes for metahumans and super-powered mutants? Marvel characters logically must exist somewhere else because they don't exist in this one? Of course, these comments are silly but they still follow the same lines of your logic of "Since x doesn't exist in our natural realm then x must exist in another dimension".

And as far as your comment "...we know they are real", we don't know much actually. We don't KNOW if they're real. We don't KNOW if they're not real. We only BELIEVE/THINK one way or another.