Van Halen fans! Vote!

Whose era do you like better?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Whose era do you like better?

• Diamond Dave - David Lee Roth
    • The Red Rocker - Sammy Hagar

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 9 2005, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (rattler2004 @ Jul 9 2005, 10:43 PM)
He didn't want the band to depart from it's roots as a guitar based rock band...he did bring up the Rush Signal album as an example of a band that lost it's way...I remember him saying something along the lines of, "why would a band with the worlds greatest living guitar player (EVH) start playing 80's keyboard music?"

Then he got Steve Vai (arguably better player over Eddie in many ways), played cover versions, then got rid of him. I don't get that guy...

I think his ego and his excesses finally caught up with him.

Dave has never been known for good judgement has he?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rattler2004 @ Jul 9 2005, 10:50 PM)
I don't know why that happend either.....that band with Vai and Sheehan had alot of potential.....anyway I'm reminded of Geddy Lee not being too happy with the former Van Halen frontman......seems that back in the early 80's people in the music press started to refer to him as Geddy Lee Roth rofl3.gif

Billy Sheehan is an amazing bass player. He didn't stand out much for Mr. Pig, but he is a very under-rated player. He has a new solo album out but I've yet to get my hands on it.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 9 2005, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 9 2005, 09:47 PM)
He didn't want the band to depart from it's roots as a guitar based rock band...he did bring up the Rush Signal album as an example of a band that lost it's way...I remember him saying something along the lines of, "why would a band with the worlds greatest living guitar player (EVH) start playing 80's keyboard music?"

Then he got Steve Vai (arguably better player over Eddie in many ways), played cover versions, then got rid of him. I don't get that guy...

If you are referring to Crazy From the Heat Vai did not play on that album....Vai didn't join up with Dave until the Eat 'Em and Smile album....which I'm pretty sure only had one cover (Tobacco Road)

Also...Dave didn't get rid of Vai...Vai left to join Whitesnake

QUOTE (Batman @ Jul 9 2005, 10:56 PM)

That's what Alex or Eddie said in an interview back then: "...he fired us, like how he fired Steve Vai.." something like that.

But as rattler said, Eddie can be a dick too.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 9 2005, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jul 9 2005, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 9 2005, 09:47 PM)

If you are referring to Crazy From the Heat Vai did not play on that album....Vai didn't join up with Dave until the Eat 'Em and Smile album....which I'm pretty sure only had one cover (Tobacco Road)

Also...Dave didn't get rid of Vai...Vai left to join Whitesnake

Not what I heard...

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 9 2005, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Jul 9 2005, 10:56 PM)

That's what Alex or Eddie said in an interview back then: "...he fired us, like how he fired Steve Vai.." something like that.

But as rattler said, Eddie can be a dick too.

rofl3.gif True how Eddie ever split up with such a cutie as Valerie I'll never know.

(Didn't Dave have something to with that too? biggrin.gif )

Went with Roth the major A-HOLE for me that sums up VAN HALENS music during the early 80's drunk and out of control party ! ( I loved it )Saw them twice with David Lee both times very sloppy. Once with Sammy Akron Rubber Bowl "Monsters of Rock" Where I stood could see Hagar off stage during Kingdom Comes set what a awful band they were ,doing something very suspicious bending down to a table with his hands by his nose. I'm not accusing him of anything maybe it was aroma therapy or maybe popping a zit!!! But I Saw what I Saw.... wink.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 14 2005, 04:40 PM)
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3650/vhto89oh.jpg

Yikes! As much as I love EVH, in that pic he looks like a roasted chicken. wacko.gif

From what I understand he was battling cancer for a long time in the late 90's.

My vote went to the Diamond one as i feel he made the band a good time party band i don't mind Hagar's vocals on sum songs but you can't beat a bit of Roth.

My vote went to the Red Rocker. DLR is good, but Sammy has POWER! Plus, when I discovered Van Halen, it was thanks to their soft drink commercial (can't remember if it was 7up or Pepsi or something) that had "Right Now" in it, and that's my all-time fave VH song as well.

Not even close......there is no VH without DLR. I mean , really...He personified the VH sound and spirit. Yes, they sound good at times with Sammy (I mean, heck they still have Eddie on guitar, right?) But, to me, it's just not Van Halen. But, then again, I was in high school when Van Halen came out, so I'm kinda partial. It's kinda like Metallica - to me this crap called Load and thereafter is just that...a load. I mean if you heard it and didn't know it was Metallica you might say it sounds pretty good. But it AINT Metallica. Compare it to And Justice For All, Master of Puppets or even Black....no comparison, IMHO. Anywho, there's my two cents....for what it's worth.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Priestess of Syrinx @ Aug 1 2005, 06:12 PM)
My vote went to the Red Rocker. DLR is good, but Sammy has POWER! Plus, when I discovered Van Halen, it was thanks to their soft drink commercial (can't remember if it was 7up or Pepsi or something) that had "Right Now" in it, and that's my all-time fave VH song as well.

...that would be "Crystal Pepsi".....remember that Pepsi Senior Vice President Marketing/product development's brainchild?

DLR sucks, im sorry i cant tolerate his voice its just...too much for me. Sammy has a beter vocal quality and can actually sing. Sammy also has a way more powerful voice not quite as shrill as DLR.

I'm not saying that Diamond Dave wasn't great, but speaking strictly from the point of talent. There is no comparison. Sammy Hagar's vocal are by far superior to Dave's.

Only problem with Sammy joining the band, is that they started doing more love songs. A rocking band shouldn't get all baladic in my opinion. Originally Van Halen was never really known for their love songs.

Way late to this party but.... I grew up with DLR & didn't understand till much later just how much better VH sounds with Sammy IMO. Dave is a great showman but Sammy is a way better musician & helped VH grow even bigger than when DLR was in the band. I don't dislike the DLR era at all. I just like how VH sounds after he left. Let the disagreements begin.... wink.gif beathorse.gif

I think that DLR is a much better singer than Sammy. He is able to sing classic music (I'm Just a Gigolo, etc...) but Sammy is just a hard rock singer.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2005, 01:39 PM)
I'm sorry, but Roth had the perfect voice, personality, presence etc. for that band. I have nothing against Hagar as a singer, but the bottonl ine is: They made good music with Roth, and they didn't make good music with Hagar.

I think along these lines too. IMO Van Halen were peaking musically as a group during the DLR era. To me they lost that spark and attitude when DLR left. I actually like DLR's solo material with Steve Vai playing better than any of the following VH releases.

Sammy is awesome. That Montrose sound was so unique.

Not a huge Van Halen fan though, sorry.

Archived