Whose era do you like better?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Whose era do you like better?

• Diamond Dave - David Lee Roth
    • The Red Rocker - Sammy Hagar

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DLR, no competition. Hagar was awesome, a decent guitar player & had a good voice, but i just thought dave lended so much more personality to the band. i could be wrong though, i've never seen them live..but i heard their most recent tour sucked!!

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 29 2005, 04:20 PM)
Please tell me you live in California! If you want to see a DLR Van halen show, sometimes I swear better than Van halen themselves check out The Atomic Punks!

I don't know if it's still there, but they had a clip when Michael Anthony came and played with them. I used to love going to those shows.

They refuse to play Hagar, and would probably get you kicked out if you requested it! They also are the best Rush cover band I have ever seen called Moving Pictures band.. Sometimes they open with Rush and then do VH.

The Atomic Punks

Moving Pictures Band

I've been dying to see these guys play! My coworkers keep telling me about them, and while they've been around Phoenix and Chicago, my timing with them has never been good. I didn't know they cover Rush as well. Cool. Now I want to see them even more.

A few years ago, I saw the show with both DLR and Hagar. DLR was terrible. Absolutely wasted. He couldn't even keep the lyrics straight, and he stumbled through nearly every song and the band had to keep improvising around his idiocy. I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry about it. Seriously. As for Hagar, whatever your expectation was, that's what you got. Sammy was Sammy, and not much needs to be said. All about whether you like him or not. Michael Anthony did make an appearance, though, which was cool. He only played with Sammy.

I saw VH with DLR on the 1984 tour. It was my first concert. It was a great time, but I wanted more. And I never got it, because that was the end of that era. That was fun music. The essence of the group was captured perfectly in the song Beautiful Girls. Can't do without 'em, no! Not the most serious kind of music, but fun and the guitar was cool, and VH was the first group that made me appreciate rock guitar.

I never could get into the Hagar era. It was okay, I suppose, but not incredibly fascinating either. What is this "....ooooohhhhh when it's love...." crap, honestly? Summer Nights was a good tune, but that was really a DLR tune, anyway.

I read DLR's autobiography as well. Borrowed it from a buddy. It was quite entertaining, as one would expect.

But I don't doubt that Atomic Punks is the best way to see what Van Halen used to be about. Gotta see 'em...

I saw Sammy when he was solo before he joined Halen and he was awesome live, I loved it. But when he got with Halen their music got so damn lame "How do I know when its love" puke puke puke "Whyyy cant this beee love" puke puke puke lame lame...

The music they made when they was with dave rocked, so thats cool. I pick Dave because I'm not the one that had to put up with him.

sad.gif ROTH, I'm now going to go on the Van Halen forum site now, Rutsey or Peart best drummer era !!! wink.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Jul 2 2005, 06:28 AM)
I saw Sammy when he was solo before he joined Halen and he was awesome live, I loved it. But when he got with Halen their music got so damn lame "How do I know when its love" puke puke puke "Whyyy cant this beee love" puke puke puke lame lame...

rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

The music they made when they was with dave rocked, so thats cool. I pick Dave because I'm not the one that had to put up with him.

Agreed. But look at Dave's last VH album 1984. They were already heading towards that pop sound with keyboard-loaded songs like "Jump" and "I'll Wait." Sammy joined the band and it continued from there.

I really can't decide... both are different styles and both that I dig smile.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 01:18 PM)
I hate DLR - I only started listening when he left.  I've seen them twice since, including last summer.

DLR - great entertainer on stage, great moves, arguably better looking
Hagar - Wayyyyy better voice/range and can play guitar.

When they decided to continue with a new singer they should have also changed their band's name.....VH without DLR is not Van Halen. I was a fan by their second album...when Sammy joined I stopped listening to them until 1996. Human's Being was too good a song to ignore.

Sammy may be more of a musician and singer, but their stuff with him does not hold water to the first six albums....or their tours.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2005, 02:39 PM)
I'm sorry, but Roth had the perfect voice, personality, presence etc. for that band. I have nothing against Hagar as a singer, but the bottonl ine is: They made good music with Roth, and they didn't make good music with Hagar.

??? The music with Hagar was more complex to play.

yea without the abandon they had in the first six albums...cover tunes or not.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 02:43 PM)
Another thing too - just the fact that Roth was such a dick really turned me off from the band.

Really? I've met him twice....the first time we talked for about 2 hours. He was really nice...and very intelligent. He didn't speak with his usual schtick, he was very complimentary of his time with Van Halen, and very proud.....I always thought that Eddie was dick. Remember his interview following the 1996 MTV music awards....or his hurt little rock star act throughout the 2004 tour....didn't go over too well, but then again his playing has really suffered as well.....maybe he's pissed off about that?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 30 2005, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jun 29 2005, 06:20 PM)
Sammy Hagar in a heartbeat!!!! If it wasnt for him, The sissy(DLR) wouldve turned Van Halen into a pop band like new kids on the block. the best day in Van Halens history was when they threw DLR out.

Raider raises a good point - the band probably would have ended up dead if Roth was the singer still.

Many said Rush was more of a pop band once they brought in synth and started singing sappy tunes like "Time Stand Still". And they were right.

I don't know man...the last album with Dave...1984...was HUGE! One of the best selling albums of the 80's....IMO 5150 rode the coattails of 1984...I can't see 1984 selling so much with Hagar on board...after 5150 things went downhill for Van Hagar (with the exception of the F.U.C.K. album)...musically I thought Balance was pretty good though I don't think I'd buy it....

Anybody remember when that Crystal Pepsi shit came out?? And they were using Van Hagar's "Right Now" vid to promote it? Ye Rock 'n Roll sarcasm.gif When Dave was in it was a band...when Hagar came aboard it turned into a franchise....

half of 5150 was written by DLR....

He didn't want the band to depart from it's roots as a guitar based rock band...he did bring up the Rush Signal album as an example of a band that lost it's way...I remember him saying something along the lines of, "why would a band with the worlds greatest living guitar player (EVH) start playing 80's keyboard music?"

Remember this album?? Sammy should have never left his band no.gif he was so fu***** great live back in the 70's I loved watching them in concert I must have seen them at least 12 times.The "chemistry" between the band members was AWESOME!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/326321.jpg

QUOTE (rattler2004 @ Jul 9 2005, 10:43 PM)
He didn't want the band to depart from it's roots as a guitar based rock band...he did bring up the Rush Signal album as an example of a band that lost it's way...I remember him saying something along the lines of, "why would a band with the worlds greatest living guitar player (EVH) start playing 80's keyboard music?"

Then he got Steve Vai (arguably better player over Eddie in many ways), played cover versions, then got rid of him. I don't get that guy...

I don't know why that happend either.....that band with Vai and Sheehan had alot of potential.....anyway I'm reminded of Geddy Lee not being too happy with the former Van Halen frontman......seems that back in the early 80's people in the music press started to refer to him as Geddy Lee Roth rofl3.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jul 9 2005, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (rattler2004 @ Jul 9 2005, 10:43 PM)

Then he got Steve Vai (arguably better player over Eddie in many ways), played cover versions, then got rid of him. I don't get that guy...

If you are referring to Crazy From the Heat Vai did not play on that album....Vai didn't join up with Dave until the Eat 'Em and Smile album....which I'm pretty sure only had one cover (Tobacco Road)

Archived