Ok I'll specify my complaints

treeduck

I just think it's odd that they would go to the trouble of bringing a string ensemble with them and not add them to some other songs. 'Losing It' and 'Different Strings' come to mind and would have been fantastic if done right. It would have made the non-CA set seem a little less like 'A Show of Hands II' although I do look forward to the CA portion of the set... looks and sounds great on YouTube.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 9 2012, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Sep 8 2012, 10:27 PM)
This band has well over 170 songs in their catalog and each and every one of them is a personal favorite for SOMEBODY.
There is somebody out there who LOVES Stupidconductor.
There is somebody out there who LOVES You Bet Your Life
There is somebody out there who LOVES Dog Years and Virtuality.

Point me in their direction so I can slap them.

Hey I love all those songs...you gonna slap my ass?!? LOL

Remember, they almost split up after the "Down the Tubes Tour" If we didn't support them when they released 2112, and beyond, they wouldn't be here today. We're the ones who stood in line in the freezing cold over night for concert tickets!!

Dude, the money they made from you was spent by 1981.

If they hadn't kept making albums and going on tour, we'd be wondering

"Hey, whatever happened to that band Rush? Remember Hemispheres and Permanent Waves? Awesome! Moving Pictures?! Woooo!! But then that album Signals came out, and everyone hated it so much that they retired.

I bet if Rush had stayed together, they, unlike every other classic rock band, would have somehow NOT SUCKED during the rest of the '80s. I bet they would still be making great music today - 30 years after Signals! What a shame they called it quits back in '83..."

Are we REALLY going to keep arguing that for ONE TOUR, they're playing music that's 27 years old instead of music that's 31 years old?

Edited by sitboaf

QUOTE (sitboaf @ Sep 10 2012, 12:21 AM)
Remember, they almost split up after the "Down the Tubes Tour" If we didn't support them when they released 2112, and beyond, they wouldn't be here today. We're the ones who stood in line in the freezing cold over night for concert tickets!!

"Hey, whatever happened to that band Rush? Remember Hemispheres and Permanent Waves? Awesome! Moving Pictures?! Woooo!! But then that album Signals came out, and everyone hated it so much that they retired.

I bet if Rush had stayed together, they, unlike every other classic rock band, would have somehow NOT SUCKED during the rest of the '80s. I bet they would still be making great music today - 30 years after Signals! What a shame they called it quits back in '83..."

Are we REALLY going to keep arguing that for ONE TOUR, they're playing music that's 27 years old instead of music that's 31 years old?

Dude,

Were you drunk or high when you wrote this? It makes no sense at all. Come back later when you're straight and see if you can say something that makes sense.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 9 2012, 11:54 PM)
This band has well over 170 songs in their catalog and each and every one of them is a personal favorite for SOMEBODY.

rofl3.gif

I hear ya.

Im surprised they are not playing limelight and the spirit of radio, these 2

songs everybody can get into, hope they add them in, many people at the

concert will be wtf. this is realistically the biggest complaint of this tour, the

boys can easily fix this one. Add them to the first set.

1022.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif

QUOTE (timhorton @ Sep 10 2012, 02:09 AM)

Dude,

Were you drunk or high when you wrote this? It makes no sense at all. Come back later when you're straight and see if you can say something that makes sense.

Sorry. I tried to delineate a logical progression of thoughts.

1. They have taken chances, not just with 2112, but with Signals, and again later. It's part of what makes them great.

2. If they had listened to the people who didn't like the chances they were taking, they would have quit in 1983, or maybe 1976.

3. They did not quit. Not even after Neil's tragedies. They returned, and even GREW as musicians well into their 40s and 50s.

4. To all those who are angry about the lack of 75-81 songs in the CA Tour setlist: Quit yer bitching. They JUST gave us ALL of Moving Pictures. And R30 had a bunch of old stuff.

5. As an aside, if your math is bad, Signals is 30 years old!

Hope that helps.

QUOTE (Todem @ Sep 9 2012, 11:05 PM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 9 2012, 11:54 PM)

LMAO

That made me giggle.

But it's true. I love Tai Shan.

I love Alien Shore, Cut to The Chase....we can go on and on.

You bet your life was first song I heard by them that wasn't a hit single. I've always loved it

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 10 2012, 02:41 AM)
Hello everyone!

bekloppt.gif

This made me laugh. I know you must've been asked this a thousand times, but who is the blonde?

QUOTE (DDOZZY @ Sep 10 2012, 01:37 AM)
Im surprised they are not playing limelight and the spirit of radio, these 2

songs everybody can get into, hope they add them in, many people at the

concert will be wtf. this is realistically the biggest complaint of this tour, the

boys can easily fix this one. Add them to the first set.
1022.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif

they are playing TSOR

How can ANYBODY complain about a RUSH concert in 2012????

Seriously? People getting all worked up over songs?

What are you all going to do when they decide to retire?

And who thought back in 1985 that RUSH would be playing concerts in 2012? Seriously?

Quit complaining and enjoy it while it lasts! Geez!

I do not care what their setlists consists of...I just want to hear them yet again...

Geez, talking about being spoiled little brats!

Edited by rrzubnyy

QUOTE (sitboaf @ Sep 10 2012, 06:15 PM)

Dude,

1. They have taken chances, not just with 2112, but with Signals, and again later. It's part of what makes them great.

2. If they had listened to the people who didn't like the chances they were taking, they would have quit in 1983, or maybe 1976.

3. They did not quit. Not even after Neil's tragedies. They returned, and even GREW as musicians well into their 40s and 50s.

4. To all those who are angry about the lack of 75-81 songs in the CA Tour setlist: Quit yer bitching. They JUST gave us ALL of Moving Pictures. And R30 had a bunch of old stuff.

Hope that helps.

1. They started taking chances in 1975 with By-Tor and have continued taking chances-are you trying to give me a history lesson?

2. 2112 was probably the biggest risk they took-the record company wanted singles-they gave them a record with 1 song being 20 minutes. Again, are you trying to give me a history lesson? I was there!!!

3. Thankfully they didn't quit after Neil's tragedies. They are still the 3 best working musicians today.

4. Did you read my post? Did I say anything about the set list?

5. What's your point here except trying to be a smart ass? I went to a record store & bought the album & cassette.

I honestly & truly don't know why you are trying to pick a fight. Save your snottiness for somebody else. My original post wasn't directed at you.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 10 2012, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 10 2012, 02:41 AM)
Hello everyone!

bekloppt.gif

This made me laugh. I know you must've been asked this a thousand times, but who is the blonde?

Sarah Carter, the actress...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Sep 10 2012, 06:51 PM)

And who thought back in 1985 that RUSH would be playing concerts in 2012? Seriously?

I do not care what their setlists consists of...I just want to hear them yet again...

It's very easy for me to complain actually...

tongue.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 11 2012, 01:28 PM)

tongue.gif biggrin.gif

When you do complain it doesn't read like your complaining--what a gift cool10.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 11 2012, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 11 2012, 01:28 PM)

tongue.gif biggrin.gif

When you do complain it doesn't read like your complaining--what a gift cool10.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (timhorton @ Sep 10 2012, 09:06 PM)

Dude,

Hope that helps.

1. They started taking chances in 1975 with By-Tor and have continued taking chances-are you trying to give me a history lesson?

2. 2112 was probably the biggest risk they took-the record company wanted singles-they gave them a record with 1 song being 20 minutes. Again, are you trying to give me a history lesson? I was there!!!

3. Thankfully they didn't quit after Neil's tragedies. They are still the 3 best working musicians today.

5. What's your point here except trying to be a smart ass? I went to a record store & bought the album & cassette.

I honestly & truly don't know why you are trying to pick a fight. Save your snottiness for somebody else. My original post wasn't directed at you.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight or be snotty. Please accept my apology if it came off that way. (Okay, I was being a little snotty about your monetary support drying up in the early '80s. That was unfair. You helped the band survive the tough, early years.)

I was just saying that while it's awesome that you were one of the hardy souls that supported the band back in the day, bands need ONGOING support if they are going to keep changing and growing for as long as Rush has.

From that perspective, it seems a bit arbitrary (to me) to say: "Styles A and B are great and style C isn't so great - I wish they would play more of style A in concert" because I see the band as having styles A, B, C, D, E and maybe F, all of which I enjoy and like to hear live.

My obvious comments about how long the band has been around, (and you are absolutely right to correct my points about By-Tor, etc.) were directed at a larger audience to help clarify my point. I know that you already know all the details.

My comments about the set list were not directed at you, but at the 1,000 other posters who dislike the '80s-heavy selection of songs. And my point there was: playing songs that are 28 and 30 years old doesn't fully qualify as "ignoring your past."

Again, sorry if I offended you.

Hug? hug2.gif

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:46 PM)
Quoting "jonnyj"Seriously I look at some these songs as parallel or relevant to whats going on the World right now. Whether Rush is thinking this or just coincidence doesn't matter. I think it's great we're getting to hear any Rush in 2012. Territories. Worked then and is definitely working now on social level as well as World stage. Manhattan Project. Written during the "Cold War" still seems relevant and stills seems like there's plenty freezing on the political front, and the wars going on right now might be more hot than cold but still a cold war. Body Electric. Look what's happening to us all in the Digital World. We may find ourselves panicking for 1-0-0 1-0-0 1-SOS sooner than we can see Rush play this song ever again."

Bingo, I thought of this exact thing last night and made a chart based on the setlist with their song meanings,and yes there is a very strong undercurrent of humanism vs transhumanisim (i.e humans merging with machines) war and staying true to yourself.

I am a researcher,radio talk show host and documentary filmmaker and I can tell you the world is coming to a place where sci-fi is becoming real life,and we all are going to be faced with that dichotomy of humans vs machines and the dilemma of what you give up when you become immersed in technology mind body and soul.

This combined with the steampunk theme which is a different world of technology tells me that yes this setlist  is designed to speak to you if you have the eyes to see and ears to hear.

i actually like this setlist now that this has come to light.

Here is my theme chart for the setlist(drawn from the bands own words in almost every case let's not start an argument over the disagreements of song meanings here i understand songs mean different things to different people) this is just simply to make the point of the setlist
theme.

1.-conformity and how it is seen as "normal"
2.-the power of the rich
3.-overcoming obstacles and accepting failure
4.-the power of materiality vs the expression of the soul
5-Machines having feelings(souls)
6-how countries and states divide humanity(travel)
7.-Longing for a bygone era
8.-action without attachment to outcome
9-instrumental
10-the road to hell is paved with good intentions

11.the youthful and idealistic excitement of seeing the world for the first time
12.machines worshiped as gods
13.wanting for the things one lacks in life
14.the carnival as a metaphor for life(game of chance)
15.-what we think is our savior can sometimes be our doom.
16.-reflection on the past
17-projecting who you want someone to be on them and being disappointed when they aren't that person
18.-letting go
19-the summation of what is really important in life in the end
20-the creation of the first atomic bomb
21-the horror of holocaust concentration camps.
22-Morse code for Toronto airport(travel)
23-the plight of the blue collar person
24-the non conformist spirit of youth
25.-purity of music vs the commercial and sales potential of it,staying true to yourself

People didn't know for years Neil's solos were telling a story(the history of drumming etc) and I think that the lack of a full drum solo may also reflect this new setlist storytelling.

Yep, Rush definitely have a theme to their setlists.

It's not just about the music or the era for them.

It's as much about them as "Artists" making a statement.

You've a nice way with words.....

Nice post

QUOTE (sitboaf @ Sep 11 2012, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (timhorton @ Sep 10 2012, 09:06 PM)

Dude,

Hope that helps.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight or be snotty. Please accept my apology if it came off that way. (Okay, I was being a little snotty about your monetary support drying up in the early '80s. That was unfair. You helped the band survive the tough, early years.)

I was just saying that while it's awesome that you were one of the hardy souls that supported the band back in the day, bands need ONGOING support if they are going to keep changing and growing for as long as Rush has.

From that perspective, it seems a bit arbitrary (to me) to say: "Styles A and B are great and style C isn't so great - I wish they would play more of style A in concert" because I see the band as having styles A, B, C, D, E and maybe F, all of which I enjoy and like to hear live.

My obvious comments about how long the band has been around, (and you are absolutely right to correct my points about By-Tor, etc.) were directed at a larger audience to help clarify my point. I know that you already know all the details.

My comments about the set list were not directed at you, but at the 1,000 other posters who dislike the '80s-heavy selection of songs. And my point there was: playing songs that are 28 and 30 years old doesn't fully qualify as "ignoring your past."

Again, sorry if I offended you.

Hug? hug2.gif

Apology accepted-thank you.

When I was in my teens, did I think I would be seeing Rush when I was in my 50's? That they would still be putting out new albums that win awards? Not a chance. It's been a great ride.

This is what it is, A show of hands part 2, with a small orchestra, if they added 2 more songs from power windows you would get that tour, good album saw that tour, at least we get some ca tunes,

Yes geddy can't sing like he used to, he can sing lower, change the song to fit his voice, play something from from AFTK and that era of music, It's like it never happened,

Imagine if they said were playing side 2 of ESL album or a side 1 of ATWAS. those would be old classics

See you guys at the toronto show biggrin.gif 653.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 8 2012, 08:30 AM)
and if they are going to use strings why would you omit losing it?

a large portion of the setlist is the tried and true, stuff they will always play. thats a given and since CA is so good its a given that should be featured.

the first set has too many keyboard era tunes that i have seen numerous times.

if they could of only thrown in one epic like natural science, the weapon, xanadu or la villa i would be a bit more excited but as it stands now my enthusiasm level is low.

I've never cheated on a Rush set list in my life until now.

I am totally depressed.

I've been hoping for "Losing It" and Middletown Dreams."

I totally FAIL.

I saw the "Power Windows" Tour. I don't need to pay the "Big Money" in 2012 to see "Territories" and "Grand Designs." Fukking pissed.

What a shit set list.

I remember paying thousands of dollars on the "Snakes & Arrows" tour.

Five S&A songs in a row? What a joke.

Now it's the same old same old with a "Cockwork Of Angels." 6 songs in a row? I can't even piss that long.

Boring.

I love that the boys aren't playing all of the usual hits but man, it could have been better.

"The Body Electirc?" Really?

"Afterimage" or "Red Lenses" would have been better.

Shit, give me "Kid Gloves."

Nothing on this set list blows me away.

I will still go to San Jose and Vegas. But that's it for me.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 13 2012, 03:49 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 8 2012, 08:30 AM)
and if they are going to use strings why would you omit losing it?

a large portion of the setlist is the tried and true, stuff they will always play. thats a given and since CA is so good its a given that should be featured.

the first set has too many keyboard era tunes that i have seen numerous times.

if they could of only thrown in one epic like natural science, the weapon, xanadu or la villa i would be a bit more excited but as it stands now my enthusiasm level is low.

I've never cheated on a Rush set list in my life until now.

I am totally depressed.

I've been hoping for "Losing It" and Middletown Dreams."

I totally FAIL.

I saw the "Power Windows" Tour. I don't need to pay the "Big Money" in 2012 to see "Territories" and "Grand Designs." Fukking pissed.

What a shit set list.

I remember paying thousands of dollars on the "Snakes & Arrows" tour.

Five S&A songs in a row? What a joke.

Now it's the same old same old with a "Cockwork Of Angels." 6 songs in a row? I can't even piss that long.

Boring.

I love that the boys aren't playing all of the usual hits but man, it could have been better.

"The Body Electirc?" Really?

"Afterimage" or "Red Lenses" would have been better.

Shit, give me "Kid Gloves."

Nothing on this set list blows me away.

I will still go to San Jose and Vegas. But that's it for me.

Hey Earl!

trink39.gif

Where you been lately?

trink38.gif

Late to the thread but treeduck, who is the blonde in your signature? Tell me it is your significant other. Then again, if buckethead is the significant other...., well to each their own.

(By the way, I already slept with the blonde but just can't remember her name).