Rush Album Themes (concepts)

DistantEarlyRushFan

CA is being called 2.gif 's first concept album, but I heard in some interviews in the 80's the band say that most of their albums are built around thematic concepts.

I am just wondering if someone can held elucidate all of the themes/concepts for me. I'll give it my best shot.

1. Rush --> young man's blues

2. Fly By Night --> basic fantasy (By-tor)

3. Caress of Steel --> High Fantasy (cool10.gif)

4. 2112 --> kick-ass Science Fiction

5. A Farewell to Kings --> Fantasy Mash-up (historical, adventure, space)

6. Hemispheres --> Allegorical Fantasy

7. Permanent Waves --> Enduring Human Expressions (freewill, preserving relationships, environmentalism)

8. Moving Pictures --> Oxymorons (modern Tom Sawyer, LIVING in the limelight, counterproductive mob mentality)

9. Signals --> Clash of the Old and the New

10. Grace Under Pressure --> simply, people acting with Grace Under Pressure

11. Power Windows --> the views by which we see/experience power

12. Hold Your Fire --> NOT REALLY SURE

13. Presto --> Life

14. Roll the Bones --> the chances we take by being alive

15. Counterparts --> Relationships

16. Test for Echo --> Endurance

17. Vapor Trails --> Humility, Redemtion

18. Snakes and Arrows --> Harsh Realities

19. Clockwork Angels --> High Fantasy

Let me know your opinions and correct me if I am wrong on any of these! 2.gif

Edited by DistantEarlyRushFan
  • Like 1

Here's my take:

1. Rush --> The I wish we were Led Zeppelin album.

2. Fly By Night --> The what are these nutty songs our new drummer wrote oh well let's make the best of it album.

3. Caress of Steel --> The let's do drugs and make a weirdo album that alienates the record company AND the fans album.

4. 2112 --> The overthrowing a totalitarian regime sci-fi concept album plus a few other songs we came up with to fill out the 40 minutes about smoking pot and crying and stuff album.

5. A Farewell to Kings --> The we missed the boat on prog rock, but damnit, we're going to pretend it's 1972 anyway album.

6. Hemispheres --> The nobody can make music more complex than us album.

7. Permanent Waves --> The I'm exhausted after all those 20 minute epics about the nature of the universe except for that last song album.

8. Moving Pictures --> The we're going to buckle down and write catchy commercial songs if it kills us album.

9. Signals --> The let's take the whole synthesizer new wavy thing and go nuts album.

10. Grace Under Pressure --> The world is complicated and sucky and we're ready to whine about it album.

11. Power Windows --> The please take us seriously we write about really important stuff album.

12. Hold Your Fire --> The f*ck you to all the fans who abandoned us after 1981, we're going to turn the synthesizers up to 11 album.

13. Presto --> The we took the synths as far as we could, let's try to make songs as catchy as possible and hope for the success of Moving Pictures even though the songs are nowhere near as good album.

14. Roll the Bones --> The let's try that again and make even worse songs album.

15. Counterparts --> The let's cash in on the whole grunge thing album.

16. Test for Echo --> The let's go back to our roots and come up with lyrics as bad as on our first album album.

17. Vapor Trails --> The floundering in confusion while we overcome tragedy album.

18. Snakes and Arrows --> The we're in our 50's now and can still kick your ass comeback album.

19. Clockwork Angels --> The we're getting really old and we're going to make a big statement by doing a huge prog era concept album but without the prog because that was a long time ago album.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 01:39 PM)
Here's my take:

2. Fly By Night --> The what are these nutty songs are new drummer wrote oh well let's make the best of it album.
3. Caress of Steel --> The let's do drugs and make a weirdo album that alienates the record company AND the fans album.
4. 2112 --> The overthrowing a totalitarian regime sci-fi concept album plus a few other songs we came up with to fill out the 40 minutes about smoking pot and crying and stuff album.
5. A Farewell to Kings --> The we missed the boat on prog rock, but damnit, we're going to pretend it's 1972 anyway album.
7. Permanent Waves --> The I'm exhausted after all those 20 minute epics about the nature of the universe except for that last song album.
8. Moving Pictures --> The we're going to buckle down and write catchy commercial songs if it kills us album.
9. Signals --> The let's take the whole synthesizer new wavy thing and go nuts album.
10. Grace Under Pressure --> The world is complicated and sucky and we're ready to whine about it album.
11. Power Windows --> The please take us seriously we write about really important stuff album.
12. Hold Your Fire --> The f*ck you to all the fans who abandoned us after 1981, we're going to turn the synthesizers up to 11 album.
13. Presto --> The we took the synths as far as we could, let's try to make songs as catchy as possible and hope for the success of Moving Pictures even though the songs are nowhere near as good album.
14. Roll the Bones --> The let's try that again and make even worse songs album.
16. Test for Echo --> The let's go back to our roots and come up with lyrics as bad as on our first album album.
17. Vapor Trails --> The floundering in confusion while we overcome tragedy album.
18. Snakes and Arrows --> The we're in our 50's now and can still kick your ass comeback album.
19. Clockwork Angels --> The we're getting really old and we're going to make a big statement by doing a huge prog era concept album but without the prog because that was a long time ago album.

You are commenting more on the musical direction of the band on some of your evaluations. I am trying to get to the heart of the lyrical/conceptual/thematic elements binding the songs on their respective albums together.

Your comment about 2112 is very funny though.

"fill out the 40 minutes about smoking pot and crying and stuff " laugh.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Sep 5 2012, 11:51 AM)
Here's my take:

2. Fly By Night --> The what are these nutty songs are new drummer wrote oh well let's make the best of it album.

You are commenting more on the musical direction of the band on some of your evaluations. I am trying to get to the heart of the lyrical/conceptual/thematic elements binding the songs on their respective albums together.

Dude, I hope you didn't take ANY of that seriously. wink.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Sep 5 2012, 11:51 AM)
Here's my take:

Dude, I hope you didn't take ANY of that seriously. wink.gif

Whether or not you were serious, your post contains come truth.

I'm striving toward an honest dialogue here.

Rush - none

Fly By Night - none

Caress of Steel - none

2112 - none

A Farewell to Kings - vague medievalish theme, but mostly because of the music

Hemispheres - none

Permanent Waves - communication via technology

Moving Pictures - each song is an epic cinematic scene

Signals - isolation/disconnectedness via technology

Grace Under Pressure - the decline of western civilization

Power Windows - examination of various forms of "power"

Hold Your Fire - intrinsic human drives and motivations

Presto - the death of romanticism

Roll the Bone - random chance vs fate

Counterparts - interrelationships

Test for Echo - mass media and forms of communication

Vapor Trails - attempts to understand the universe via survival and healing

Snakes & Arrows - war on religion

Clockwork Angels - meditations on various perspectives of faith

Edited by savagegrace26

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 5 2012, 02:39 PM)
Here's my take:

2. Fly By Night --> The what are these nutty songs our new drummer wrote oh well let's make the best of it album.

laugh.gif

Rush - Haha Don't You Love Zeppelin?

Fly By Night - Our Drummer uses Big Words

Caress of Steel - lol we're high but this album is awesome

2112 - Screw you record comp... wait why are we famous?

A Farewell to Kings - We're famous so we can do whatever the heck we want

Hemispheres - Hey guys, is prog still cool?

Permanent Waves - Let's get some more airplay, k?

Moving Pictures -MOAR AIRPLAY!!!

Signals - For no reason, F YOU

Grace Under Pressure - Don't know why we wrote that last album, here's a good one

Power Windows - Hey did you hear the synths? We have synths!

Hold Your Fire - Ehh... better use a bunch of synths. This album's going to suck anyways

Presto - Yay good songs! And more guitar!

Roll the Bones - It's funny because rap. And some terrible songs.

Counterparts - Hey remember? We're a rock band!

TFE - We're still a rock band!

VT - We effing ROCK! (but we hate guitar solos)

S&A - Neil hates religion. And this albums sucks. Warning: folk influences .

CA - Hey is prog cool again?

trink38.gif

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Sep 5 2012, 08:36 PM)
Rush - none
Fly By Night - none
Caress of Steel - none
2112 - none
A Farewell to Kings - vague medievalish theme, but mostly because of the music
Hemispheres - none
Permanent Waves - communication via technology
Moving Pictures - each song is an epic cinematic scene
Signals - isolation/disconnectedness via technology
Grace Under Pressure - the decline of western civilization
Power Windows - examination of various forms of "power"
Hold Your Fire -  intrinsic human drives and motivations
Presto - the death of romanticism
Roll the Bone - random chance vs fate
Counterparts - interrelationships
Test for Echo - mass media and forms of communication
Vapor Trails - attempts to understand the universe via survival and healing
Snakes & Arrows - war on religion
Clockwork Angels - meditations on various perspectives of faith

applaudit.gif well done, sir.

1. RUSH: We can play, but our lyrics are goofy.

2. Fly By Night: Read any good books lately, drummer boy?

3. Caress of Steel: You know, the one with Bastille Day.

4. 2112: Record company man can kiss our bare ass!

5. Farewell to Kings: We can afford all these new cool instruments. More cowbell, drummer boy!

6. Hemispheres: Almost got these synths and peddles figured out.

7. Permanent Waves: Rock radio can kiss our ass! (cue ironic turn of events)

8. Moving Pictures: Didn't see that coming. We Rock!!

9. Signals: Riding the MP wave, Baby!

10. Grace Under Pressure: MP wave petering out, let's swim over to New Wave beach and check out the chicks.

11. Power Windows: ...From the Band that brought you Tom Sawyer.

12. Hold Your Fire: ...with Live Show featuring music from Tom Sawyer band.

13. Presto: Change-o! Uh-oh...

14. Roll The Bones: Let's roll the dice and try Canadian Prog Rap.

15. Counterparts: Lerxst rising.

16. Test For Echo: That's right, we're a hard rock band.

17. Vapor Trails: Yes We Can... we hope.

18. Snake and Arrows: Drummer boy watches the news.

19. Clockwork Angeles: 2112, part Duex. If we knew then, what we know now... and owned Pro Tools...

Here's my take:

laugh.gif goodpost.gif goober.

What about Feedback? The "we didn't want to write songs for another album yet but we wanted to tour and make some money, so here's our take on songs you already know made famous by other artists album"?

wink.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 6 2012, 02:19 PM)
Here's my take:

laugh.gif goodpost.gif goober.

What about Feedback? The "we didn't want to write songs for another album yet but we wanted to tour and make some money, so here's our take on songs you already know made famous by other artists album"?

wink.gif

TY, and well done with Feedback! trink39.gif

Rush

No main theme. Basic rock-n-roll type lyrics.

Fly By Night

A combination of Ayn Rand's Objectivism and Tolkien-like fantasy. There is no real album theme, but being young, wanting to travel and finding meaning in life could be seen as a theme in some songs.

Caress of Steel

More Tolkien-like fantasy. Again, there's no real theme, but viewing life as an epic battle could maybe be considered a theme on this album.

Ayn Rand's Objectivism combined with a futuristic dystopian science-fiction story. The main album themes are individualism, the power of creativity, and the dangers of collectivism.

A Farewell to Kings

Individualism and the dangers of collectivism.

Hemispheres

Finding a balance between the heart and the mind and/or between the left and right side of the brain. The dualism between logic and creativity in the human psyche. And again, more individualism and rejection of collectivism.

Permanent Waves

Artistic integrity, individuality, and modern technology versus nature.

Moving Pictures

Individuality, self-actualization, and modern society.

Signals

How people interact with each other, modern society, individualism, and exploration.

Grace Under Pressure

How to deal with fear, anxiety, and stress.

Power Windows

Power in all its different forms, both good and bad. The power of money, the power of technology, the power of art, the power of patriotism, the power of human emotions, the power of perseverance, the power of having dreams and goals...

Hold Your Fire

Instinct, human nature, and time.

Presto

Life in general. Struggling with depression and doubt. Dealing with life as an individual who does not believe in magic or religion. Accepting the difficulties of human existence and finding the beauty of life.

Roll the Bones

Taking your chances in life. Making choices and accepting the consequences. Constantly adapting to changes and having the courage to choose your own path. Not believing in a predestined fate.

Counterparts

Love and human relationships. Femininity and masculinity. Human emotions. The struggles of everyday people.

Test For Echo

Human interaction and communication. Dualism.

Vapor Trails

Dealing with loss. Finding hope again after facing adversity and tragedy. The beauty of life. Dealing with the darker side of things and not becoming bitter or defeated. Love.

Snakes and Arrows

Faith and religion. How religious beliefs can be dangerous. Atheism. Living in a dangerous world full of threat. Finding meaning in life and believing in hope and love without being religious.

Clockwork Angels

The journey of life. How one's personality and beliefs grow and change throughout life. Dealing with adversity. Atheism. The lessons to be learned in life.

Edited by PermanentMovingSignals
  • Like 1

Here's my take:

<b>1. Rush --></b> The I wish we were Led Zeppelin album.

<b>2. Fly By Night --></b> The what are these nutty songs our new drummer wrote oh well let's make the best of it album.

<b>3. Caress of Steel --></b> The let's do drugs and make a weirdo album that alienates the record company AND the fans album.

<b>4. 2112 --></b> The overthrowing a totalitarian regime sci-fi concept album plus a few other songs we came up with to fill out the 40 minutes about smoking pot and crying and stuff album.

<b>5. A Farewell to Kings --></b> The we missed the boat on prog rock, but damnit, we're going to pretend it's 1972 anyway album.

<b>6. Hemispheres --></b> The nobody can make music more complex than us album.

<b>7. Permanent Waves --></b> The I'm exhausted after all those 20 minute epics about the nature of the universe except for that last song album.

<b>8. Moving Pictures --></b> The we're going to buckle down and write catchy commercial songs if it kills us album.

<b>9. Signals --></b> The let's take the whole synthesizer new wavy thing and go nuts album.

<b>10. Grace Under Pressure --></b> The world is complicated and sucky and we're ready to whine about it album.

<b>11. Power Windows --></b> The please take us seriously we write about really important stuff album.

<b>12. Hold Your Fire --></b> The f*ck you to all the fans who abandoned us after 1981, we're going to turn the synthesizers up to 11 album.

<b>13. Presto --></b> The we took the synths as far as we could, let's try to make songs as catchy as possible and hope for the success of Moving Pictures even though the songs are nowhere near as good album.

<b>14. Roll the Bones --></b> The let's try that again and make even worse songs album.

<b>15. Counterparts --></b> The let's cash in on the whole grunge thing album.

<b>16. Test for Echo --></b> The let's go back to our roots and come up with lyrics as bad as on our first album album.

<b>17. Vapor Trails --></b> The floundering in confusion while we overcome tragedy album.

<b>18. Snakes and Arrows --></b> The we're in our 50's now and can still kick your ass comeback album.

<b>19. Clockwork Angels --></b> The we're getting really old and we're going to make a big statement by doing a huge prog era concept album but without the prog because that was a long time ago album.

Goofy goober rocks!

Easily one of the most creative trf members imo.

• Like 1

Here's my short list:

VT: religion is scary and people are mean

S&A: religion is still scary and people are still mean

CA: religion is still scary and people are still mean set in a fantasy alternate universe

I can agree with Snakes and Arrows, but Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels have a lot more subjects than just religion. A lot more.

Edited by PermanentMovingSignals