• Interests:It was what I was born for —
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 26 2004, 01:42 PM)

I went to Birmingham Alabama to meet these guys and they are some of the coolest people I ever met in my life and it was worth the trip.

Well, OF COURSE they're cool....look where they're from!

biggrin.gif

Sponsored Post

#22 Chasartymac

Chasartymac

NPG's Counterpart

• Members *
  • 2237 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:39 PM

I  just recently bought The System Has Failed, (Megadeth). I'm a big 'deth fan and I love this new album, BUT, I gotta say that Chris Poland spoils it for me.

#23 D-13

D-13

You can put it in the win column!

• Members *
  • 9349 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:10 PM

Hmmmmm i'm gonna start this new thing with the 4 cds.....it's a good idea...before I got into Rush I was getting into alot of different music....but now....they took over me....lol but my last 4 cds that I bought was Test for Echo, Geddy's My favourite Headache......and yea thats all I can remember! lol  laugh.gif  

#24 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:43 AM

bumper.gif

Anyone get anything new?

#25 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:50 AM

Yesterday I bought Dream Theater's "Images and Words", tomorrow I'm getting the new REM album.

Is it safe to say that on a board brimming with republicans? biggrin.gif  

#26 Phoenix

Phoenix

Disciple of the 42

• Members
  • 1573 posts
  • Interests:Computers
    Fantasy Books
    Rock & Metal
    Rush Trading

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:24 AM

My last CDs are some weeks ago.
Nightwish - Once
Schandmaul - Wie Pech & Schwefel

Good Thread Moon.

Thinking about getting "Qudropehnia" and "Tommy" by the Who.

Cheerio

#27 pixey

pixey

13! Why thats my lucky number!

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Interests:Reading, music, my kids, going to concerts, the net, watching tv, fairies, dining out, old muscle cars, England.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:24 PM

I avent bought anything recently but as soon as I get a chance to make it out to the music stor I will be buying Secret Machines- Now Here Is Nowhere. Amazing band!

#28 pixey

pixey

• Members
  • 1877 posts
  • Interests:Reading, music, my kids, going to concerts, the net, watching tv, fairies, dining out, old muscle cars, England.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:24 PM

I havent bought anything recently but as soon as I get a chance to make it out to the music store I will be buying Secret Machines- Now Here Is Nowhere. Amazing band!

#29 D-13

D-13

• Members *
  • 9349 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:41 AM

I just bought 4 cds today! woot! sooooo exciting eh'? anyways I got....
1.The Mars Volta (de-loused in the comatorium).....I recommend it!  If you listened to At The Drive-In this is the singer from that band....In some interview...I remember Lerxt saying that he loves this band...because it's a crazy band...Its really good...finally someone doing something different!!!  Score!  If you do buy it....I think theres a another band called Mars Volta....so be careful....they are a techno band i'm pretty sure of it!

2.The Buzzing Bees (You'll wish you were deaf)....I LOVE this band! I saw them live at a punk show and my friend knew the bassist...pretty cool.  The singer is very different...kinda sounds like Weezer to me....But hey, local bands I think are the best ever!  I especially like the names they pick for the songs!  Like "Sorry, I'm Deaf In Both Ears, Please Talk To My Shovel" and "If Someone Offers A Penny For Your Thoughts.  Ask To See The Penny First" and "Bite The Curb - It's Vegan, I Swear"

3.  I had to get some jazz because I think i'm probably going to be a drummer for an all girls jazz band...YAY! lol so I was looking around....Stan Getz!!! Tonight i'm Stan Getz!  Really good music I think.....I feel asleep to it tho.... laugh.gif but I have to come and start enjoying the music I think....Its really really good anyways.

4. Drum roll please......................
I love Buddy Rich....and his style....so I got Krupa and Rich....Otherwise the 2 most favourite jazz drummers on the planet....Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich.  Oh man all you drummers out there....this is a must!  The tracks are super long because they have drum solos like in every song....really good...and the jazz is quite good, with the adding of Roy Eldridge and Dizzy Gillespie on the Trumpet, Illinois Jaxquet and Flip Phillips on tenor sax, and Oscar Peterson on the rhythm section.  

trink36.gif  

#30 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:19 AM

Interesting choices D-13, I recently got that Mars Volta album too a couple months ago, theres a lot of interesting stuff they are doing on that album.  I can imagine seeing a band like them live and being completely blown away.

Edited by Moonraker, 10 October 2004 - 09:20 AM.

#31 The Notorious B.S.G.

The Notorious B.S.G.

<harumph>

• Members *
  • 3139 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:30 AM

Oh yeah! Forgot about this thread! My recent purchases are not new new, but I've been catching up on my U2, in anticipation of their next release and tour. I got "Pop" and "All That You Can't Leave Behind" this weekend. I also got the "Queen - Live at Wembley" DVD. Good stuff, all.  yes.gif  

#32 Megadon

Megadon

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Music production, film, Japanese and Chinese culture.

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:49 AM

You can certainly tell how varied my musical tates are when I buy the new Megadeth and R.E.M.  cd's together. I love both of those bands.

#33 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33767 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:58 AM

Welcome to the board, Megadon!  2.gif  

#34 D-13

D-13

• Members *
  • 9349 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Oct 10 2004, 07:19 AM)
Interesting choices D-13, I recently got that Mars Volta album too a couple months ago, theres a lot of interesting stuff they are doing on that album.  I can imagine seeing a band like them live and being completely blown away.

Thanks dude! yea I went on their website too Themarsvolta.com and it explains the whole album really well.....here

The Mars Volta

Julio Venegas, an artist from El Paso, Texas, committed suicide in 1996. A free spirit and noted provocateur, "He was definitely someone who lived life to the fullest," remembers his friend, Cedric Bixler Zavala. "Toward the end, he acquired a really bad limp from being in a coma. He had tons of scars all over his body and some of his closer friends used to call him Frankenstein. He had big cut marks on his throat, welts and bruises and bumps, and his arm had been shriveled up from shooting up rat poison. He acquired so many scars it was like a walking map."

When Cedric sang for At The Drive-In, he wrote a lyric--Embroglio on 1996s Acrobatic Tenement--about Venegas, who had killed himself while that band were rehearsing. "I didnt feel it really did him justice," he continues, "I felt like a whole record should be dedicated to him."

That record is De-Loused In The Comatorium, the astonishing first album by The Mars Volta. De-Loused In The Comatorium is an iridescent, fearless, brain-busting hour of music, a fictionalized celebration of Julio Venegas life. Based on a story written by Cedric, it is a concept album in which the hero tries to commit suicide by overdosing on morphine. Instead of dying, he falls into a coma for a week, and experiences fantastic adventures in his dreams, elemental battles between the good and bad aspects of his conscience. At the end, he emerges from the coma, but chooses to die.

Ambitious stuff, plainly, but weve learned to expect as much from Cedric and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. As Omar says, "We do have a really solid ideology, and part of that is to always grow and not have your ideas be the same as they were last year." In At The Drive-In, Cedrics linguistic somersaults were rooted by straightforwardly anthemic post-hardcore. Now, the music is as imaginative and uncompromising as the words: De-Loused In The Comatorium consists of eight continually shifting tracks which variously recall Led Zeppelin, Fugazi, Janes Addiction, Can, Santana, Spirit, 70s Miles Davis, ambient Dub and even At The Drive-In, very occasionally. Its unapologetically progressive music: unencumbered by genre, unafraid of seriousness, reverberating with new ideas at every turn.

"I guess the concept of prog music is always frowned upon," says Cedric. "It was the dinosaur that the new kids wanted to take down. But I just hope people dont picture some keyboard player in a cape trying to present this music as Mars Volta On Ice. We have our feet a little bit more planted in the ground, there is a lot more punk aesthetic involved in what we do." For Cedric and Omar, The Mars Volta also represents an escape, a way of freeing themselves from rigorous but limited music.

At the turn of the millennium, At The Drive-Ins kinetic updating of punk had made them one of the most dynamic bands on the planet. Returning from a European tour in early 2001, however, Omar was unhappy; though not with corporate politics and expectations, as often assumed. "I was bored with the music we were playing," he recalls. "We were just going to keep making the same records. It was nice to finally get the attention with At The Drive-In after six years, but it left us musically bankrupt, spiritually bankrupt."

Omar believes that "Its always important to throw a monkeywrench in your own system, start from scratch and not be afraid to expose yourself." To that end, he told Cedric, his foil since childhood in bands like experimental dub unit De Facto as well as ATDI, his new plan. "The idea was to have a band that was free of boxes, free of conceptual limitations. We both knew that would mean a lot of sacrifice, a lot of broken hearts and a lot of change in our life. But we were both willing to accept that so that the music would not suffer."

They took the other members of ATDI to the park where they had begun, and formally split up the band. Omar then began recruiting the dextrous, expansive musicians theyd need for The Mars Volta:
keyboardist Ikey, Owens from The Long Beach Dub All-Stars, and Jon Theodore, a drummer whod played with Golden, as well as Jeremy Ward, their friend from De Facto, who would become the bands secret member, triggering samples and effects from offstage. "It was great to play with people who understood the vision," he continues, "though these influences have always been there with ATDI."

An EP Tremulant, on their own Gold Standard Laboratories label, and a series of extraordinary shows brought more allies: Rick Rubin signed on as producer; Flea helped out on bass; old friend John Frusciante, another of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, added guitar to the outstanding Cicatriz;. And at the end of last year, The Mars Volta decamped to Rubins place in Laurel Canyon, a haunted house with a "strong presence", according to Omar, and began to record De-Loused In The Comatorium. The result is this passionate, elaborate, relentlessly inventive and utterly rewarding album, one of those rare records where musical innovation is matched, move for move, by a profound emotional pull. "I think itll take a couple of spins," admits Cedric, "but all my favorite records are like that."

The Mars Volta, it seems, demand more from music, and not unreasonably suspect they arent alone. "Our music is completely selfish, but were not above-average human beings," reckons Omar, modestly. "So if were getting it, theres got to be other people who will too."

#35 ChefEllwood

ChefEllwood

The Seeker

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:50 AM

My latest purchases included the following :
The Who - "Who's Next"
U2 - "All That You Can't Leave Behind"
Gentle Giant - "Three Friends"

All pretty good. I'm looking forward to the U2 release next month.  wink.gif  

#36 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
  • Interests:It was what I was born for —
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Oct 10 2004, 11:50 AM)
I'm looking forward to the U2 release next month.  wink.gif

ME TOO!!!!

bncegrn.gif  cheer.gif  common001.gif  

#37 Test4VitalSigns

Test4VitalSigns

London Calling

• Members *
  • 36903 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 12:53 AM

I picked up a cd from this new band i've been hearing about called "The Secret Machines"....a power trio whose sound is definitely influenced by bands like zep and Floyd...doesn't sound too bad....have to listen to it a few more times....

#38 pixey

pixey

• Members
  • 1877 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 12 2004, 12:53 AM)
I picked up a cd from this new band i've been hearing about called "The Secret Machines"....a power trio whose sound is definitely influenced by bands like zep and Floyd...doesn't sound too bad....have to listen to it a few more times....

I love this band! Very true about them being a modern day cross between Floyd and Zep! I have been praising this band for months now! They have some videos over on Launch, 2 live ones from a show recently. My only problem with this band, I think the drummer could do alot better. His kit is very small and for this kind of band, he could definately use more of his talent. For a 3 piece band he needs to be more. I have high hopes for them. They are the band to watch for! More musician than whats been coming out lately.

Edited by pixey, 12 October 2004 - 08:18 AM.

#39 evvy

evvy

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities/adventures (i.e. hunting, fishing, backpacking, etc.), and drumming

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 25 2004, 11:31 AM)
Recently, based on the Professor's recommendation in Traveling Music, I check out Jeff Buckleys "Grace". I thought it was pretty good the first time listening, but the more you listen the more you love it. Check it out.

I have not yet read the book but I am pleased to know Neil and i have similar tastes in this artist.  What an album..."Grace".  Too bad he's now dead or we would have had a real gem for years to come.  Go check out Jeff Buckley if you have not yet!

#40 ZootAllures

ZootAllures

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:22 PM

Recent Purchases:

Remastered Permanent Waves- I had the older CD, but the remastering is too good to pass up, at least to my ears.

Al Di Meola- Elegant Gypsy.  It's Latin Fusion, and he is incredible.

Scorpions- Taken By Force.  Uli Jon Roth deserves far more credit than he gets, and this album is really good, although I do not listen to it as much as others.  

Lately, that's about all I've bought, but with Christmas coming up, I hope to get these:

Black Sabbath- Black Box.  It has their first eight studio albums, plus a DVD, all completely remastered.  I love Black Sabbath, but the production on the CDs I own is terrible, and supposedly, the remastering done by Rhino is impeccable.  

Pink Floyd- Animals, as well as Wish You Were Here.

Jimi Hendrix- Live at Woodstock, Band of Gypsys, and Electric Ladyland.  I have two of the Experience albums, but none from the BoG.

The Mothers of Invention- Freak Out.  I love Zappa's music, and his catalog is so mind numbingly massive, it will take me years to get them all.  

The three albums by Cream.  I have Fresh Cream on vinyl, but I need a CD copy, as well as Wheels of Fire and Disraeli Gears.

Yes- Close to the Edge.  I hear nothing but good things concerning this band.  

Deep Purple- In Rock, Fireball, Made in Japan, and Perfect Strangers.  Another band I like a lot, but need more albums from.

And of course, as many Rush albums as I can get my hands on, as well as My Favorite Headache, by Mr. Lee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users