Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Jan 17 2005, 06:27 PM)
I like Simon and Garfunkel's music confused13.gif

What can I say, I'm an east coaster at heart. Simon & Garfunkel remind me more of NY then any other music, probably because the first time I really listened to them was at my friends house up there.

Just picked up Rhapsody's latest album "The Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret"

Awesome album. Great blend of symphonic music with metal.

Highlights include narrations by Christopher Lee (yes THAT Christopher Lee). Bit of trivia as well for you LOTR buffs. The story for this album was hugely influenced by The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and a lot of Tolkien's other works.

Edited by kazzman

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 21 2005, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 21 2005, 08:33 PM)
going tomorrow to get some CD's got 100 bones on me....this should be interesting.

Very nice, any plans on what you are getting (or open to any suggestions biggrin.gif)

heh well I was looking at a few....Porcupine Tree (going to look again, and I'm not buying the 44 dollar album because thats just dumb) Maybe some older Modest Mouse, Pixies, some Heart...I have their greastest hits...so I want another album. Postal service is another one...Pinback...some local bands like, The Futureheads, The Go Find, Red Not Evil, hmmmm oh Metric, The Stills, The Shins, The Neckers, William Shatner and The Faint Now obviously i'm not going to get all of these....I wish! lol

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 22 2005, 12:00 AM)
going tomorrow to get some CD's got 100 bones on me....this should be interesting.

Very nice, any plans on what you are getting (or open to any suggestions biggrin.gif)

heh well I was looking at a few....Porcupine Tree (going to look again, and I'm not buying the 44 dollar album because thats just dumb) Maybe some older Modest Mouse, Pixies, some Heart...I have their greastest hits...so I want another album. Postal service is another one...Pinback...some local bands like, The Futureheads, The Go Find, Red Not Evil, hmmmm oh Metric, The Stills, The Shins, The Neckers, William Shatner and The Faint Now obviously i'm not going to get all of these....I wish! lol

May I suggest placeing a pre-order in for The Black Halo by Kamelot and if you can find it, The Book of Heavy Metal by Dream Evil.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 21 2005, 09:00 PM)

No used record stores around you are there, thats the best place to find lotsa stuff cheap. I bought 6 cds or so last week, only spent about $40

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 21 2005, 10:04 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 22 2005, 12:00 AM)

May I suggest placeing a pre-order in for The Black Halo by Kamelot and if you can find it, The Book of Heavy Metal by Dream Evil.

Oh shoot how can I forget! doh.gif Kamelot is my first Priority cool.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jan 21 2005, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 21 2005, 09:00 PM)

No used record stores around you are there, thats the best place to find lotsa stuff cheap. I bought 6 cds or so last week, only spent about $40

I do have a used store actually like 5 mins from my house and 10 with my bike....well its winter so ya know lol anyways yea I think i'm the only person that buys all the Rush CD's there. Everytime I go back theres more and more Rush...I got geddy's solo album there...A huge crack in the middle of the disk....but whatever...it was for like 10 bucks... 2.gif

I bought the Geddy cd a year and a half ago. I used to see them new in record stores all the time when it first came out, then slowly it began disappearing. When I bought it, it was the only one there, and the first new copy I had seen in half a year. I have yet to see another new copy in a store. I love Ameoba in SF though, they always have all sorts of rare out of print cds. Found Victor, a bunch of NIN import singles from Sweden, and the 30 years of Jethro Tull cds which ahve been out of print for who knows how long.

Back from the Megatunes! These are the albums I got

Local bands

District 7, Another Last Chance- (memories come flooding back to me because this was the first punk/local band concert I went to...also to see Passado (heavy metal) and the buzzing bees and Honey Rocket a girl band...they broke up like 1 year ago sad.gif they were good! anyways to carry on...District 7 is mainly punk rock and I alwyays have some song from them during competetions of the sort.

Red Not Evil, Everywhere Canada-

Local and again...which I liked when they played a few songs during CJSW's 20th Anvi. so that was fun and they are more alterative than punk rockish. They are Canadian and thats what I like.period.

Bands that are closer to mainstream but not quite....not at all actaully

The Apples In Stereo, Her Wallpaper Reverie- Different....its going to take me a couple time to get it to grow on me thats for sure....kinda reminds me of Broken Social Scene and Radio head together...but not Radio Head crazy like.

Metric, Old World Underground, Where Are You Now?- I love this band!!! They kinda sound like Bif Naked, cuz they have a girl singing. Oberon said to me last night that they sounded like le tigre....which I agree. Metric is rad.

The Go Find, Miami- If you like electronica like The Postal Service, Metric this is pretty close to it. I love mixing electronica and alternative together...best mix. They also remind me of Death Cab For Cutie and The Weakerthans, but more pop to it. **turn off**-no inside cover...whatsoever sad.gif

The Shins, Oh Inverted World- These guys are huge now, it's basically alternative and I like them...Their songs have been in movies...such as Garden State and of course, SpongeBob Square pants. Also they have been in MANY! Snowboarding videos it's insane. Pretty mellow tunes.

Modest Mouse, The Moon And Antarctica- Modest Mouse's old albums I think are wicked. Still got that raw old sound to it. Which I like alot. Anything by these guys to me are good and all I have to say is Paper Thins Walls is a vereh good song smile.gif

This concludes my review...I couldn't find Kamelot Kazz...They had Nightwish but frankly I do not feel like spending $25 for a CD....cuz thats bullrice. I couldn't find Porcupine Tree this time. sad.gif