Rush Remasters

Gedneil Alpeart

I know all of Rush's albums have been remastered and I've only bought one so far........Signals. I def hear a much improved difference in the remastered version of Signals and I love it. Which other remaster albums did you find a big difference from the original in terms of sound and clarity?

I'm most interested in the getting the remastered 80s albums the most, so suggestions from that era would be most helpful as to which ones are worth buying.

IMO - ALL Mercury releases are well worth the upgrade to the remastered version. I'm saying from Rush through Hold Your Fire, there is an astounding difference - just like what you've heard on Signals.

The Atlantic remasters... are another story. I've seen some around here say there is some difference, but I don't hear anything different - at all. To make it worse, the actual CDs look exactly the same, and I'm not 100% sure I haven't accidentally mixed them up.

I always found the Mercury/Anthem remasters to be too bright sounding. A little harsh on the ears at high volumes. The remasters basically just add EQ, compression, and loudness to the recordings. The only one I've really thought was better than the original is Caress Of Steel. The reason being that the original seems to be sourced from a higher gen tape, and is a victim of print-through.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Mar 3 2010, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Mar 3 2010, 10:18 PM)
What is SHM?

I'm not that tech-minded at all.
Is that yet another format?

SHM is a SHAM from JAPAN

HAHAHAHA!! Been down that Sham Road! I know that one liner very well! SHAM! SHAZAM!!

Still as an audiophile nut I have listened to all of the different pressings of RUSH cds from over the decades. The SHM pressings RULE thus far.

If you have the proper stereo system then you can slightly tell the difference.

The Rush SHM remasters are like having them pressed on gold cd by MFSL back in the Eighties and Nineties.

They have a bit more warmth to the tunes, and also have a bit more oomph on the back end.

It is what it is, but remember, those badass Rush SHM cds come in LP style replica cardboard sleeves.

Worth every penny. 1022.gif

Signed,

Obi Strip Wan Ben Kenobi pokey.gif

Johnny Blaze knows what I'm talkin' about! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Mar 3 2010, 07:19 PM)
I always found the Mercury/Anthem remasters to be too bright sounding. A little harsh on the ears at high volumes. The remasters basically just add EQ, compression, and loudness to the recordings. The only one I've really thought was better than the original is Caress Of Steel. The reason being that the original seems to be sourced from a higher gen tape, and is a victim of print-through.

I pretty much agree. I have COS and it does sound great and improved.

As for the others, I think Rush pretty much got right the first time. The exception being VT which sounds like mud, and I don't see where a remaster is available for purchase.

Of the newer batch of remasters the only one I have is Presto. It has noticible more botton end, which I like because I am a bass player. I don't know that it sounds better, it just has more bottom.

I have a gold Mofi of PerWaves. It sounds good, but don't see what all the rave is about.

beats me...since the Remasters are the only versions I've heard anyway...except for a very old cassette of the first half of Exit Stage Left.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 3 2010, 04:28 PM)
IMO - ALL Mercury releases are well worth the upgrade to the remastered version. I'm saying from Rush through Hold Your Fire, there is an astounding difference - just like what you've heard on Signals.

The Atlantic remasters... are another story. I've seen some around here say there is some difference, but I don't hear anything different - at all. To make it worse, the actual CDs look exactly the same, and I'm not 100% sure I haven't accidentally mixed them up.

This is exactly right based on my experience.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Mar 4 2010, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Mar 3 2010, 10:18 PM)
What is SHM?

I'm not that tech-minded at all.
Is that yet another format?

SHM is a SHAM from JAPAN

goodpost.gif

Many of these have been basically proven to be the exact same mastering as the original West German Atomic pressings. Nothing new. A SHaM for sure.

QUOTE (robertrobyn @ Mar 4 2010, 10:35 PM)
I own all the SHM versions and to me it was worth every penny.

You sound like me!

Glad I am not alone.

Like I have said before. I have tested all the different audio products of RUSH over the years.

If you have the proper audiophile system, you can tell a slight difference.

They RULE!

Hope Japan wakes up and puts the live Rush records in SHM!!!!! WTF?

RUSHHEAD666

I own the complete set and can not wait for more. Were you able to pick up the shm box that holds all 12.? Have you heard any news of the other ones coming out

Archived