Really Overrated Directors

Ya_Big_Tree

I don't see how you all could say M Night is overrated as a director. I understand if you don't care for the stoires. But that is writing. No matter what film of his I've been to, he's always managed to get the crowd to react in ways no other director has. His camera angles and mood setting is excellent. The last few minutes of Signs is some of the best directing I've ever seen.

Martin Scorcese!?!?!?!? You guys know what directing is??

And Steven Spielberg overrated? Come on! He has filmed some of the most remorable scenes ever! Yes he is popular, but for good reason.

Who are you guys going to mention next? Alfred Hitchcock? Stanley Kubrick?

Honestly directing is a great art, and some of the people mentioned are just brilliant,

You want to look at overrated look at the flashy over the top guys, or the guys who do the same old cliches. Like John Woo, Michael Bay, and Tony Scott.

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Apr 4 2007, 02:19 PM)
I don't see how you all could say M Night is overrated as a director. I understand if you don't care for the stoires. But that is writing. No matter what film of his I've been to, he's always managed to get the crowd to react in ways no other director has. His camera angles and mood setting is excellent. The last few minutes of Signs is some of the best directing I've ever seen.

no.gif

His films are cliche and the mood is not created properly.

The Village was probably one of the most terrible movies I have ever seen. I saw it sober, drunk and stoned and nothing made that picture good.

Spielberg is SOOO OVERRATED!! I will defend this point if you would like me to. Basically it all boils down to he couldn't make a climax in his movies if his life depended on it. He chokes and ruins the whole thing, ie Minority Report.

All flash and no substance doesn't mean people like the director. I am talking about directors that so many people love but other people who can see through B.S can see flawed directing and basically think someone else could have done a better job. More often times than not, a lot of these people that are being mentioned have not measured up. Sorry if that means M. Night, but it's true.

If this was about poorly written storylines I would have called this thread Shitty Scriptwriters That Suck or something along those lines... laugh.gif

Seriously I like all of the discussion this is causing smile.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 4 2007, 04:24 PM)
Spielberg is SOOO OVERRATED!! I will defend this point if you would like me to. Basically it all boils down to he couldn't make a climax in his movies if his life depended on it. He chokes and ruins the whole thing, ie Minority Report.

Spielberg has made some great films like Duel, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those three don't need hype they're just great films...

• Like 1

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 3 2007, 11:44 PM)
I know i'll be hated for this but "Quentin Tarantino"

Yeah the Kill Bill movies were unique but he doesn't direct enough to consider him great - He made two great movies in 94' and 92' Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but for being a director for over 15 years his resume is pretty slim -

I agree with this completely, and would like to add that as film WRITER this guy is as bad as a 4 year old. From Dusk Till Dawn was the worst movie ever produced, what with the moronic wooden stake attached to a jackhammer....yea, that's really a practical weapon against vampires.....

And the new one he has coming out soon looks to be just as dumb. At least he's not up to the same stupid tricks...this time the chick is missing a leg and has a machine gun for a prosthetic..... unsure.gif Oops, I guess that IS the same stupid shit...my bad.

When he directed 2 episodes of CSI, he totally ruined the story line with goofy tarantino crap, turning the awesome filmography of that show into a joke.

I don't dislike tarantino's work, I HATE it, and although I did not dislike Resevior Dogs and Pulp Fiction, I think everything else he does is just flamboyant over-the-top crap.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 4 2007, 03:24 PM)

[/quote]

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. There, an excellent climax by Mr. Spielberg. A movie ending thats probably on my top 15 at least

QUOTE (Geds @ Apr 4 2007, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 3 2007, 11:44 PM)
I know i'll be hated for this but  "Quentin Tarantino"

Yeah the Kill Bill movies were unique but he doesn't direct enough to consider him great -  He made two great movies in 94' and 92' Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but for being a director for over 15 years his resume is pretty slim  -

I agree with this completely, and would like to add that as film WRITER this guy is as bad as a 4 year old. From Dusk Till Dawn was the worst movie ever produced, what with the moronic wooden stake attached to a jackhammer....yea, that's really a practical weapon against vampires.....

And the new one he has coming out soon looks to be just as dumb. At least he's not up to the same stupid tricks...this time the chick is missing a leg and has a machine gun for a prosthetic..... unsure.gif Oops, I guess that IS the same stupid shit...my bad.

When he directed 2 episodes of CSI, he totally ruined the story line with goofy tarantino crap, turning the awesome filmography of that show into a joke.

I don't dislike tarantino's work, I HATE it, and although I did not dislike Resevior Dogs and Pulp Fiction, I think everything else he does is just flamboyant over-the-top crap.

Awww, come on... you know From Dusk Till Dawn is the best movie ever made... nobody ever admits it though >_>

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Apr 4 2007, 02:30 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 3 2007, 07:01 PM)
Spike Lee

goodpost.gif

Thank you. It's about time someone did the right thing and pointed out that his work is crap. Yet he is hailed as expressive and innovative. His only innovation is image marketing. And there is nothing new about the American public falling for that kind of BS.

He did have some GREAT movies early in his career. I thought Mo' Better Blues, Jungle Fever, Malcom X and Crooklyn were all great. Classics even...

Speilberg has been a really great director for a lot more years than most directors ever are. Just in the last 15 years alone he's made Jurassic Park, Schindlere's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, AI, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, The Termina and War of the Worlds. I haven't even seen Munich yet!

Mind you, not all those are as great as the others, but all solid movies IMHO. He's still got it as far as I'm concerned...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 4 2007, 06:40 PM)

Spielberg has made some great films like Duel, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those three don't need hype they're just great films...

Don't forget Schindler's List

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 4 2007, 06:49 PM)
Speilberg has been a really great director for a lot more years than most directors ever are.  Just in the last 15 years alone he's made Jurassic Park, Schindlere's List, Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, AI, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, The Termina and War of the Worlds.  I haven't even seen Munich yet! 

Mind you, not all those are as great as the others, but all solid movies IMHO.  He's still got it as far as I'm concerned...

Munich is brilliant Goob.

There are few of his films that I don't like (War of the Worlds) But he is still an excellent director and is NOT overrated.

Edited by Signals1982

Peter Jackson, Goerge A. Romero

Reasons:

Peter: Hasn't done anything really good exept first lord of the rings

Romero: This is just a personal choice but he hasn't done anything i really really liked exept the Night/Dawn/Day of The Dead trilogy and The Crazies

• Like 1

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 4 2007, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 4 2007, 04:44 AM)
I know i'll be hated for this but  "Quentin Tarantino"

Yeah the Kill Bill movies were unique but he doesn't direct enough to consider him great -  He made two great movies in 94' and 92' Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but for being a director for over 15 years his resume is pretty slim  -

I fully agree with you here as I really loathe Tarantino's films. While Resevoir Dogs was marginally watchable, I found Pulp fiction to be pretentious, overblown and smug - rather like Tarantino himself.

Re Spielberg - give him a decent adult themed story to work with and he can be awe inspiring (Schindler's List, Duel and Minority Report being the ones that come to mind), otherwise he is the cinematic equivalen of having seven tonnes of sugar injected straight into the vein.

He makes good films but not enough, plus hes overrated

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Apr 4 2007, 02:19 PM)

no.gif

His films are cliche and the mood is not created properly.

The Village was probably one of the most terrible movies I have ever seen. I saw it sober, drunk and stoned and nothing made that picture good.

All flash and no substance doesn't mean people like the director. I am talking about directors that so many people love but other people who can see through B.S can see flawed directing and basically think someone else could have done a better job. More often times than not, a lot of these people that are being mentioned have not measured up. Sorry if that means M. Night, but it's true.

If this was about poorly written storylines I would have called this thread Shitty Scriptwriters That Suck or something along those lines... laugh.gif

Seriously I like all of the discussion this is causing smile.gif

Im assuming you didnt see Jaws. smile.gif I just read your earlier post. I disagree that SS flms are that bad...

Edited by lerxt1990

Hitchcock, Kubrick, Spielberg and Scorsese I believe have the most movies in the Internet Movie Database collection of the top 250....

I have to disagree with anyone who says Spielberg is overated. You may not like him personally, but his numbers don't lie. There are huge numbers of people think he is unreal. Hitchcock, though quirky, has made an incredible mark. I counted 9 films in the top 250. People forget just how many Kubrick has made that were awesome...I think he has 8 in the top 250. Next is Spielberg then Scorsese. I believe Coppola has 4, 3 of which are in the top 35.

Together these 5 guys have made 31 of the top 250 if I have done my research correctly....

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2007, 11:25 PM)
Jeez, I think every one of my favorite directors has been mentioned as overrated above except for David Cronenberg. unsure.gif

The most overrated directior IMHO:

Tim Burton

eh.gif My friend, your taste and mine, I'm afraid, will never see eye to eye.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 3 2007, 03:48 PM)
Alright, we know them and probably love their movies the first few times we see them but after a while you start to realize that a monkey in a tutu could have made a better film.

Let's hear about them and their most overrated works.

I would say that Oliver Stone is very overrated! I mean he makes good films but he is not the directing GOD that a lot of people see him as.

Some others hmmm... Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Tim Burton, Steven Bloody Spielberg, James Cameron etc...

Just to get the ball rolling... ph34r.gif

Christine, when you showed me this post, you told me people were getting the wrong idea that you yourself were saying that Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Tim Burton, Steven Bloody Spielberg, James Cameron etc... were overrated, but reading this, it's your fault for not wording it properly. You should've made it more clear what you meant by listing those examples, because it reads like you're saying they're overrated. IMFO!

QUOTE (Finbar @ Apr 5 2007, 10:38 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 3 2007, 03:48 PM)
Alright, we know them and probably love their movies the first few times we see them but after a while you start to realize that a monkey in a tutu could have made a better film.

Let's hear about them and their most overrated works.

I would say that Oliver Stone is very overrated!  I mean he makes good films but he is not the directing GOD that a lot of people see him as.

Some others hmmm... Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Tim Burton, Steven Bloody Spielberg, James Cameron etc...

Just to get the ball rolling...  ph34r.gif

Christine, when you showed me this post, you told me people were getting the wrong idea that you yourself were saying that Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Tim Burton, Steven Bloody Spielberg, James Cameron etc... were overrated, but reading this, it's your fault for not wording it properly. You should've made it more clear what you meant by listing those examples, because it reads like you're saying they're overrated. IMFO!

Thanks for posting this, 'cause if you hadn't, I would've thought what you did... that YBT was listing overrated directors... although it's fine for me, because I agree with most of that list... but die hard Burton fans might not take it so lightly ph34r.gif

I guess I should post my list of overrated directors:

Steven Spielberg

Oliver Stone

M. Night Shamylan

Quentin Tarentino (Eventhough it pains me say it)

James Cameron

Wayan's Brothers

Joel Schumacher

Mel Gibson (I hate his movies and his anti-semitism)

George A. Romero (to a degree, he just type casts himself unfortunately)

Tim Burton (I love his films and I think he is so creative, but he has allowed himself to be a typecasted director with the exceptions of Big Fish and Planet of the Apes)

Francis Ford Copola (he makes the same movie over and over again) His neice Sofia, at least touches other subjects.

I'm sure I will think of others... but yeah sorry about the confusion, sometimes I just don't clairfy myself properly.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Apr 5 2007, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2007, 11:25 PM)
Jeez, I think every one of my favorite directors has been mentioned as overrated above except for David Cronenberg.  unsure.gif

The most overrated directior IMHO:

Tim Burton

eh.gif My friend, your taste and mine, I'm afraid, will never see eye to eye.

Don't worry Finny no one sees eye to eye with Goob's taste...and if you do it's not for very long...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 5 2007, 02:07 PM)
I guess I should post my list of overrated directors:

Steven Spielberg
Oliver Stone
M. Night Shamylan
Quentin Tarentino (Eventhough it pains me say it)
James Cameron
Wayan's Brothers
Joel Schumacher
Mel Gibson (I hate his movies and his anti-semitism)
George A. Romero (to a degree, he just type casts himself unfortunately)
Tim Burton (I love his films and I think he is so creative, but he has allowed himself to be a typecasted director with the exceptions of Big Fish and Planet of the Apes)
Francis Ford Copola (he makes the same movie over and over again) His neice Sofia, at least touches other subjects.

I'm sure I will think of others... but yeah sorry about the confusion, sometimes I just don't clairfy myself properly.

smile.gif

Never having directed a movie myself, I think i will reserve any criticism I have for those who are more accomplished than myself in this arena.

This much I can say however: I have enjoyed many movies that were directed by the aforementioned individuals. And I bet some of them make a few more I will enjoy in the years to come.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 5 2007, 02:07 PM)

confused13.gif How so? His movies are incredibly varied!

P.S. Sofia Coppola is his daughter.

Oh yeah, I like his films, but Terry Gilliam is a tad bit overrated, IMHO.

Edited by ReRushed