WORST Rush song EVER

GGOAT!!!

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

• 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence
    • 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old
    • 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy
    • 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal
    • 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader
    • 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly
    • 7)I hate them with a passion
    • 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart

OK....lets all think really hard, and post the WORST Rush song ever. But, remember to explain WHY you hate it. Some really good songs are hated for strange/unique reasons...

Worst for me...

"Hand Over Fist"

Cheesy lyrics (Neil does a play on words!!! Wow thats SO original!!) and completely boring, uncatchy, lame, lack of any instrumental prowess, just completely devoid of anything interesting.

• Like 1

Although I'm inclined to pick any or all songs from Counterparts, due to their lack of intensity, complexity, imagination, or uniqueness, I'd have to actually say that my least favorite Rush song of all-time is Tears. Drawn-out, extra-sappy, completely unambitious, slow, plodding, and boring. The only good thing about it is the excitement it generates, through its blandness, about hearing Something For Nothing next!

-- trink36.gif (not a beer night tonight!)

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 19 2006, 08:42 PM)
Do I even need to say it? tongue.gif

Not to me. no.gif

And my worst song vote goes to Rivendell. It's horrendous torture.

• Like 2

I LOVE Tears. Great moodiness!!! Perfect warm recording. Extra sappy, yes, but I LOVE it. Love the mellotron on it. Warm and thick. I like Rivendell, too, but mainly because its more from my childhood...but its a tad long. Love the way its recorded, however.

Agree with the Counterparts review. smile.gif

Another one I hate is "Roll the Bones" especially with the "Get Busy" Arsenio Hall reference and the cheesy early 90's "Kid n Play" type rap. Its absolutely abysmal, and Rush at their near worst (although Presto after the fourth song is mind-numbing, I'd rather be at an insurance seminar...in India...spoken in Romanian).

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 19 2006, 05:18 PM)
Nobody's Hero for me. Music is okay, but the lyrics and Geddy's singing are horribly overwrought. This is supposed to be a "message" song, but it just comes off as heavy-handed rather than meaningful.

QFT x1000

Runner-up..."I Think I'm Going Bald".

Out Of The Cradle maybe... I cringe at the thought of 20 Geddys straining to sing "Endlessly Rockinggg". That song literally hurts my ears.

There are other Rush songs that I may skip over from time to time, but that one I mentioned above is the only one that I truly 'hate'.

If I never heard the Camera Eye or Closer To The Heart again, I wouldn't be upset.

Edited by Gemari77

as much as i can concider myself a Rush fan now;; i (rayzray) must say that ANY lyric on ANY Rush song is the pits;; the only reason i listen to Rush music is for the extraordinary and talented musicianship and instrumentals..

i concider his voice as an annoying ground hum that can't be fixed..

But i keep buying their stuff;; just bought Replay x3 in search for more instrumentals,, riffs,, and crechendos (sp).. *together their hands and fingers ROCK!!*

Edited by rayzray

OK, I'll say it...the thing I've never said out loud before. Although I love Rush and all their stuff by default (the usual disclaimer), I must admit that I haven't been too enthused by any release after Hold Your Fire, with the exception of Test For Echo and the live releases. (To me Test For Echo is just a "bright" sounding recording...sprightly and bright...a real deviation from the others of that era.) I really hope Rush pulls-it together soon and does something I enjoy as unique and imaginative and rockin! But if they don't, we'll that's their perrogative.

Nonetheless, I buy it all, I support it all, and deep-down, I love it all 'cuz I know they do it for themselves first, as they should, and they do their best to keep themselves challenged and moving forward. Their ambition and professionalism have been a (true) moving force in my life and have changed the way I think and present myself at work, school (grad school), and through my artwork. They have been a true inspiration.

NOW PLAY HEMISPHERES LIVE!!!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 19 2006, 08:42 PM)
Do I even need to say it? tongue.gif

I'm not saying a word..... no.gif

Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs. All the songs here are notable for one of the following: "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay...

2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...

3) Open Secrets-Rush started losing me here...

4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...

5) Tai Shan-OMG...please, Neil, stop it.

6) High Water-Completely void of anything memorable.

7) Anagram (for Mongo)-Boredom is creeping in.

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors. Its not 8th grade literature class.

9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.

10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds. Reverb anyone?

11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.

12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go? Oh yeah, that's my point.

13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays. How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...

14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.

15) Neurotica-Very 90's. Very reverby. Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.

16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke. Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics.

17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above. Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics.

18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure. Would be less boring.

19) Alien Shore-Just lame.

20) The Speed of Love-Do I need to say anymore?

21) Double Agent-Amazingly, even worse than most of the above.

22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap. Nothing redeeming.

23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.

24) Half the World-Yuk. Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.

25) Color of Right-Color of WRONG.

26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush? Um, I think not.

27) Totem-Pole smoker.

28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.

29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet. Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late. Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline.

30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

Edited by TheCaskOf43

QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 19 2006, 09:25 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs. All the songs here are notable for one of the following: "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay...
2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...
3) Open Secrets-Rush started losing me here...
6) High Water-Completely void of anything memorable.
7) Anagram (for Mongo)-Boredom is creeping in.
9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.
12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go? Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays. How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.
15) Neurotica-Very 90's. Very reverby. Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke. Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics.
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above. Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics.
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure. Would be less boring.
19) Alien Shore-Just lame.
20) The Speed of Love-Do I need to say anymore?
21) Double Agent-Amazingly, even worse than most of the above.
24) Half the World-Yuk. Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
25) Color of Right-Color of WRONG.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush? Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet. Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late. Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline.
30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

Where's Rivendell?

4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...

really? I think it's one of the best cuts off HYF.

5) Tai Shan-OMG...please, Neil, stop it. 

stop what?

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.

I didn't study Red in 8th grade...I like the song anyways

10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?

I shall no longer speak to you.

11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.

Agree completely

22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.

Lame crap? What's that all about? It's a great song, maybe a bit overrated among the harder-core fans, but it's still one of Rush's better 90s pieces in terms of musicality and even lyricism. Just because it isn't the good old sci-fi spaceship stuff doesn't mean it's no good.

23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.

I can remember it. I can say plenty good about it too. Again, great musicality, and good approach at the new theme that seems to carry through Counterparts

28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.

Now hey, that's a deep insult to fifth graders! This song sort of sucks if you ask me.

Hi fledge...nice to meet you.

I LIKE Rivendell. Sure, its long, and overwrought, and silly, and immature...but its done well for what it is, its catchy, and it achieves what it was written to do...convey a thought, and image...and possibly bore you. But, I like it, its warm.

I don't really strive for spaceship lyrics...but they were SUPPOSED to be a little silly, and basically were telling a story...not ramming someone's ideological self-important fakely profound innuendo down our throats. The early lyrics fit my intelligence when I first heard them....back in grade school. So, they have a special place for me. Now that I'm in my early 30's I can't take Rush's "serious" lyrics seriously at all...they make me laugh. Except for a few rare exceptions (I love Time Stand Still, for instance).