WORST Rush song EVER

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you LIKE Neil's more recent lyrics?

1. 1)Metaphors using *like & *as show his intelligence (11 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. 2)Word plays & cliche\'d sayings dont get old (11 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. 3)They are ok, but some are cheezy and preachy (22 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. 4)They are heavy handed and self-important/liberal (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

5. 5)They sound like they were written by a 6th grader (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

6. 6)They are contrived & unintelligent & silly (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. 7)I hate them with a passion (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

8. 8)Plain stupid & read like someone trying 2 act smart (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Der Trommler

Der Trommler

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6477 posts
  • Interests:Percussion, Darts, RPG (video or live-D&D), movies, breathing, eating, living...in general. Too many things to list & remember....I guess the breathing/eating thing needs to be a priority though

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 19 2006, 08:42 PM)
Do I even need to say it?  tongue.gif

I'm not saying a word..... no.gif  

Sponsored Post

#22 TheCaskOf43

TheCaskOf43

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:25 PM

Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay...  
2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...
3) Open Secrets-Rush started losing me here...
4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...
5) Tai Shan-OMG...please, Neil, stop it.  
6) High Water-Completely void of anything memorable.
7) Anagram (for Mongo)-Boredom is creeping in.
8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.
9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.
10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?
11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.
12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go?  Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics.  
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics.  
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
19) Alien Shore-Just lame.
20) The Speed of Love-Do I need to say anymore?
21) Double Agent-Amazingly, even worse than most of the above.
22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.
23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
25) Color of Right-Color of WRONG.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline.  
30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

Edited by TheCaskOf43, 19 June 2006 - 09:32 PM.

#23 fledgehog

fledgehog

Playlist Hero

• Members
  • 25134 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 19 2006, 09:25 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

1) Kid Gloves-I'm not anti-gay or a gay basher, but I don't want to hear Rush trying to SOUND gay...  
2) Red Lenses-This along with "Kid Gloves" does NOT belong on the otherwise great GUP...
9) Hand Over Fist-Neil's getting even more lame with the lyrics and his own self-feeling of "cleverness" while reciting trite cliche'd expressions and thinking he's being profound by offering cheesy plays on words.
12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go?  Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
14) Heresy-More self profound liberal drool and complete lack of musical interest.
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics.  
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics.  
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline.  
30) Carve Away the Stone-Not nearly as catchy as Aerosmith's "Chip Away at the Stone" even if Aerosmith's were played backwards at half speed.

Where's Rivendell?

4) Lock and Key-The chorus is OK, but getting to it is complete boredom and silly grade school lyrics...

really?  I think it's one of the best cuts off HYF.

stop what?

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.

I didn't study Red in 8th grade...I like the song anyways

10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?

I shall no longer speak to you.

11) Bravado-Why they continue to bore us to death with this crap song is beyond me.

Agree completely

22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.

Lame crap?  What's that all about?  It's a great song, maybe a bit overrated among the harder-core fans, but it's still one of Rush's better 90s pieces in terms of musicality and even lyricism.  Just because it isn't the good old sci-fi spaceship stuff doesn't mean it's no good.

23) Everyday Glory-Another one that no one can remember or find anything good to say about.

I can remember it.  I can say plenty good about it too.  Again, great musicality, and good approach at the new theme that seems to carry through Counterparts

28) Dog Years-More of Neil's lyrical work which belongs in the advanced 5th grade Language class.

Now hey, that's a deep insult to fifth graders!  This song sort of sucks if you ask me.

#24 TheCaskOf43

TheCaskOf43

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hi fledge...nice to meet you.

I LIKE Rivendell.  Sure, its long, and overwrought, and silly, and immature...but its done well for what it is, its catchy, and it achieves what it was written to do...convey a thought, and image...and possibly bore you.  But, I like it, its warm.

I don't really strive for spaceship lyrics...but they were SUPPOSED to be a little silly, and basically were telling a story...not ramming someone's ideological self-important fakely profound innuendo down our throats.  The early lyrics fit my intelligence when I first heard them....back in grade school.  So, they have a special place for me.  Now that I'm in my early 30's I can't take Rush's "serious" lyrics seriously at all...they make me laugh.  Except for a few rare exceptions (I love Time Stand Still, for instance).

#25 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

I've never been a fan of Rivendell at all.  Everything is just... Yuck.  

#26 Grace2Grace

Grace2Grace

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1383 posts
  • Interests:Music, Football (NY Jets), Wrestling

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:17 PM

;_;

#27 priest_of_syrinx

priest_of_syrinx

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 9809 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

There's some thread about Rush songs that give you the most emotion and Bravado was up there!  I don't have the album, but I have it downloaded (only temporarily) and I gave it a listen and said wtf.gif This provokes no emotion in me! If I feel like crying, I'll go listen to The Pass 1022.gif

#28 AgentScotty

AgentScotty

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (TheCaskOf43 @ Jun 19 2006, 10:25 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  
<snip>
27) Totem-Pole smoker.

rofl3.gif

#29 geddy alex peart

geddy alex peart

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:rush rush rush rush

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

from HYF to TFE

(everything in between sucks)

#30 priest_of_syrinx

priest_of_syrinx

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 9809 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Jun 19 2006, 10:28 PM)
from HYF to TFE

(everything in between sucks)

Maybe RTB, but did you skip The Pass and all of Counterparts? wacko.gif  

#31 geddy alex peart

geddy alex peart

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:rush rush rush rush

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:33 PM

I like certain songs but i mean like in general the albums blow

#32 floydfanatic111

floydfanatic111

Rushaholic

• Banned
  • 1740 posts
  • Interests:My 1999 Chevy Malibu, buying CDs, collecting anything to do with Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush and the Red Sox. Also the Patriots.

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:33 PM

Face Up is kinda bland and Neurotica is boringica

#33 priest_of_syrinx

priest_of_syrinx

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 9809 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (geddy alex peart @ Jun 19 2006, 10:33 PM)
I like certain songs but i mean like in general the albums blow

I think Counterparts is one of their most consistent albums! Are you including HYF and T4E with the list? Because I really like HYF, and I've heard T4E a few times and don't really dig it all that much...

#34 Rush Didact

Rush Didact

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1573 posts
  • Interests:DeLoreans, stereo equipment, music of all kinds

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

I think I've disagreed with every single post in this thread so far.  I'm a HUGE fan of newer Rush, and not so much the older stuff.  TheCaskof43, could you not just have said "I hate everything they made after Signals" and spared us the list of almost every song they've made since then?

For me, my list is rather short:

Chemistry, because it's just... wow.  Neil's worst lyrics bar none.

Hemispheres, because it's really kinda cheesy.  Probably the Rush song I've listened to the least.  I like Neil's more recent musings on morality when he tackles it head on, instead of via obscure Greek mythology.

And I'm tempted to say The Camera Eye, but I suppose it belongs more in the "unbelievably overrated" category instead of the "lame" category.

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to the entire HYF album, just because of how much the production on it sucks ASS.  If it weren't for Force Ten, Time Stand Still and Lock and Key I'd probably never listen to it again.

#35 TheCaskOf43

TheCaskOf43

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

Hi Didact...

I don't hate everything since Signals.  I hate the songs I listed.  I love GUP (except the two songs I listed), all of Power Windows, some of Hold Your Fire (not much), a few off Presto...its a crapshoot as far as Roll the Bones, Counterparts, and Test for Echo go...I like a few of the songs here and there, and I like all of Vapor Trails for the simple fact that I CAN listen to it...it doesn't bore me to death like parts of the albums before it.  

Chemistry, yes, the lyrics suck.  But, so many of Neil's lyrics suck so bad that this one isn't any worse.  The music's good, however, and its catchy.

Hemispheres is amazing.  

Camera Eye is original and daunting; not for the average listener, but I love it nonetheless.  One of Ged's best bass lines in the ending during the solo.

#36 The_Enemy_Within

The_Enemy_Within

"Without music, life would be a mistake"

• Members *
  • 2343 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:06 AM

So far, the only song I don't care for is Red Lenses >_<

Oh, and everyone stop hating on Bravado, will ya? I LOVE that song.
I also love more than half the songs you guys are mentioning!
Neurotica,  Kid Gloves, Lock and Key, etc..

Those are all GREAT songs.

Jeez..  sarcasm.gif

Edited by The_Enemy_Within, 20 June 2006 - 12:06 AM.

#37 Kudzu

Kudzu

Flying out of the shockwave

• Members *
  • 14462 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (Rush Didact @ Jun 19 2006, 09:04 PM)
Chemistry, because it's just... wow.  Neil's worst lyrics bar none.

Hemispheres, because it's really kinda cheesy.  Probably the Rush song I've listened to the least.  I like Neil's more recent musings on morality when he tackles it head on, instead of via obscure Greek mythology.

And I'm tempted to say The Camera Eye, but I suppose it belongs more in the "unbelievably overrated" category instead of the "lame" category.

Agreed with all of these in addition to "Nobody's Hero", which is the most embarrassingly pretentious bull I've ever heard come out of Rush - and I'm actually counting "By-Tor and the Snow Dog", "The Necromancer", and "Cygnus X-1" here - and "I Think I'm Going Bald", which just isn't cool.

Oh yeah..."Dog Years" and "Virtuality" are also lyrical piles of dreck.

"Superconductor" is so bad, though, that I completely forgot to mention it. It's best left forgotten. But I love Presto, almost every other song on it I adore, and "Superconductor" is like a dark, smelly, greasy stain on its shirt.

Edited by Kudzu, 20 June 2006 - 12:08 AM.

#38 boz69

boz69

The Music Man

• Members *
  • 2316 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 19 2006, 09:40 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go?  Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics. 
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics. 
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline. 

Where's Rivendell?

stop what?

8) Red Tide-OMG Neil, enough with the cheesy "red" metaphors.  Its not 8th grade literature class.

10) Available Light-This lightbulb burned out in the first 10 seconds.  Reverb anyone?

Agree completely

22) Cold Fire-Proof that the guys are comfortable with this lame crap.  Nothing redeeming.

Lame crap?  What's that all about?  It's a great song, maybe a bit overrated among the harder-core fans, but it's still one of Rush's better 90s pieces in terms of musicality and even lyricism.  Just because it isn't the good old sci-fi spaceship stuff doesn't mean it's no good.

I can remember it.  I can say plenty good about it too.  Again, great musicality, and good approach at the new theme that seems to carry through Counterparts

Now hey, that's a deep insult to fifth graders!  This song sort of sucks if you ask me.

I dislike only one  2.gif  song "Rivendell"

2.gif  trink39.gif  common001.gif  trink39.gif  common001.gif  trink39.gif  common001.gif  trink39.gif  2.gif  

#39 fledgehog

fledgehog

Playlist Hero

• Members
  • 25134 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (boz69 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 19 2006, 09:40 PM)
Here's my thorough list of the most hated Rush songs.  All the songs here are notable for one of the following:  "lame-ness", horrible recording quality, lack of instrumental prowess, lack of feeling, neil's new "I'm not going to play like I used to" style, complete boredom, inane lyrics, lack of imagination, complete non-existence of catchiness, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and did I mention some of the worst lyrics known to man???

12) Face Up-Wait, how does this one go?  Oh yeah, that's my point.
13) The Big Wheel-More of Neil's cheesy word plays.  How's this one go? Sing it, c'mon...wait, you CAN'T....you can't get any "uncatchy-er"...
15) Neurotica-Very 90's.  Very reverby.  Geddy can't seem to sing a melody anymore...just talks stacato lines.
16) You Bet Your Life-Please Neil, your lyrics, while I used to enjoy them, make me puke.  Stop the cheesy similes using "like" and "as"...you act as if since you read a literature book after leaving school, that you're the only one who knows what imagery is about...but your childhood level irony and reciting cheesy stereotypical sayings are even more rote than country lyrics. 
17) Cut to the Chase-See the description above.  Mind numbingly boring music, Neil's typical later unbelievably cheesy "profound" lyrics. 
18) Between Sun & Moon-Makes me want to attend a seminar on France's small business import tax structure.  Would be less boring.
24) Half the World-Yuk.  Don't tell me you can listen to this all the way through.
26) Time and Motion-A return of the "old" Rush?  Um, I think not.
27) Totem-Pole smoker.
29) Virtuality-Neil, who is very self-important and considers himself all-knowing, slams the internet.  Kinda like the opposite of Al Gore, but in reality, they are both equally bright as of late.  Neil's decision to completely forget how to play drums as he used to is evidenced by this decline. 

Where's Rivendell?

stop what?

Agree completely

I dislike only one  2.gif  song "Rivendell"

2.gif  trink39.gif  common001.gif  trink39.gif  common001.gif  trink39.gif  common001.gif  trink39.gif  2.gif

I CAN MAKE A BIGGER, FATTER, MORE ANNOYING POST THAN YOU WITH A BIGGER, FATTER, MORE ANNOYING QUOTE!

2.gif  2.gif  icon_alienjig.gif  icon_alienjig.gif  2.gif  2.gif  common001.gif  common001.gif  2.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif  trink39.gif  2.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif

Edited by fledgehog, 20 June 2006 - 12:38 AM.

#40 softfilter

softfilter

The Professor

• Members
  • 3677 posts
  • Interests:Reading mostly military history & local Ohio history. Riding mountain bike on Ohio/Erie canal trail. Discovering new micro brews!

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:45 AM

Hard to narrow down but for me probably Red Lenses.
Digital Man a dumb little ditty also.
  Now theres parts of concepts that make my skin crawl for Geddy's dramatic effect rips into ya,
Part ll of Fountain of Lamenth Didacts and Narpets  "LISTEN !"  scared.gif
And the end of Cygnus X-1 " EVERY NERVE IS TORN APAAAAAART !" No sh*t !!  laugh.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users