Opening acts

alphseeker

BOC opened for them on the Power Windows tour......

Blue Oyster Cult on the Power Windows tour? I don't remember that but it was a long long time ago. I remember Golden Earring opened for them on the Signals tour I believe it was.

Who I remember was:

Mr. Big

Primus

Candlebox

And probably a three more or so that I can't recall. Primus was the best.

Primus opened for them during the Roll The Bones tour. I was never a fan, and it did nothing for me.

For the Counterparts tour, Candlebox was this little known band (to me). I saw that show two nights in a row, and 2nd time being front row in front of where Geddy plays.

Candlebox, on both nights - blew my f'ing head off. They were amazing. Bought their CD because of those shows, and was blown away by that, too. Been a fan ever since.

Mr. Big.... No comment.

The best opening act for Rush is: no opening act.

I saw them in concert with Mr. Big and also with Primus, and both times, I would much rather have traded the hour's worth of opening act for another hour of Rush. There simply is no good opening act... because regardless of who the opener is, that time would be much better spent with 2.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Feb 3 2006, 04:29 PM)
The best opening act for Rush is:  no opening act.

I saw them in concert with Mr. Big and also with Primus, and both times, I would much rather have traded the hour's worth of opening act for another hour of Rush.  There simply is no good opening act... because regardless of who the opener is, that time would be much better spent with 2.gif

It was a very good thing, that in 1996 they saw it your way as well.

trink39.gif

edited to fix date typo. smile.gif

QUOTE (Ern2112 @ Feb 3 2006, 01:05 PM)
BOC opened for them on the Power Windows tour......

Yeah, but only for about a dozen shows, mostly back east. Out here in CA it was Steve Morse. I saw it but I do not remember Morse at all.

It was my first RUSH show & all I remember is RUSH. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Broncos730 @ Feb 3 2006, 01:16 PM)
Blue Oyster Cult on the Power Windows tour?  I don't remember that but it was a long long time ago.  I remember Golden Earring opened for them on the Signals tour I believe it was.

Who I remember was:

Mr. Big
Primus
Candlebox

And probably a three more or so that I can't recall.  Primus was the best.

Part of the Power Windows tour was BOC, but I saw The Fabulous Thunderbirds opening on that tour. wacko.gif

I missed the HYF tour, but all three of the other bands mentioned here were okay. Primus was prolly the best, IMO.

i saw jon butcher axis open up for them for signals...mr. big for presto, primus for bones, candlebox for counterparts. i thought primus was the best but candlebox was really good too. despite billy sheehan's ability, i thought that nothing could save mr.big. jon butcher axis i can barely remember.

Marillion was the best I saw. Saw them open for Rush at the Montreal Forum in 1986 on the Power Windows tour. They came out, said something like "Rush wants to play extra long tonight, this is Misplaced Childhood", nad proceeded to play pretty much the whole album. Then Rush came out and blew everyone away. Very cool.

TMD

I saw them open with a magician. He did a few magic tricks, made a ball levitate etc and went off. From row Z I couldn't make anything subtle out at all. Bizarre.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 3 2006, 04:20 PM)
Primus opened for them during the Roll The Bones tour.  I was never a fan, and it did nothing for me.

For the Counterparts tour, Candlebox was this little known band (to me).  I saw that show two nights in a row, and 2nd time being front row in front of where Geddy plays.

Candlebox, on both nights - blew my f'ing head off.  They were amazing.  Bought their CD because of those shows, and was blown away by that, too.  Been a fan ever since.

Mr. Big.... No comment.

it's a shame Candle Box split up, they were awesome 1022.gif

Notables:

For AF2K tour(my first), and it was Max Webster (which I missed) and UFO, who were very good, really rocked out from what I recall (that's been way too long!).

Signals was Golden Earring. I even bought on of their concert tee-shirts (still have it somewhere around here, the one with the card being cut in-two by the bullet, if anyone remembers that!) The sounded very good.

I remember Mr. Big for Presto too,... so-so I recall.

I don't remember much of the others, so I guess they weren't all that good... or I was too trink38.gif cool10.gif then!

Their current opening act is by far the best, and my personal favorite. Hope Rush gives them a permanent gig! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I saw alot of different openers for Rush . Three that i thought were excellent were Blue oyster cult, Steve Morse Band , and Eric Johnson.

Others i saw ....MR.Big- did nothing for me, Candlebox- wheres the beer stand,Primus.....i liked but felt like it was halloween music, Fastway.....they were pretty good, Marilion- decent act couldnt figure out why Peter Gabriel painted his face like a fish(just kidding but he does sound alot like Gabriel)

By far the best opener for Rush was.....No one

When they stopped having openers is when their concerts got longer and i heard more of what we all came to hear. Two long Rush Sets

I hope they never go back to having an opener again. Stay the Course!!!

Rush in 2007!!!!!!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (slacker @ Feb 4 2006, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 3 2006, 04:20 PM)
Primus opened for them during the Roll The Bones tour.  I was never a fan, and it did nothing for me.

For the Counterparts tour, Candlebox was this little known band (to me).  I saw that show two nights in a row, and 2nd time being front row in front of where Geddy plays.

Candlebox, on both nights - blew my f'ing head off.  They were amazing.  Bought their CD because of those shows, and was blown away by that, too.  Been a fan ever since.

Mr. Big.... No comment.

it's a shame Candle Box split up, they were awesome 1022.gif

Candlebox were despicable. Many booed them when I saw them(I was one of the lenching mob).

Primus was also on the Counterparts tour. They are the only band that ever opened for Rush that I was "into". Granted, they're a love it or hate it band. Even the friends I have that are into some pretty off-the-wall stuff, only a few will last more than a couple of minutes with Primus on. But that's another thread altogether.

The first time I saw Rush, they weren't the headliner. Starcastle opened up first, then Rush, and lastly Boston. This was early 1977 and Boston only had one album out. They played EVERY song from that album. About an hour at best, maybe only 45 minutes. Rush played for right at an hour, IIRC. That was the one and only time I ever saw Rush where they were not the headliner. Starcastle and Boston were decent, but my friends and I went purposely to see Rush.

Very shortly after that Rush had Rick Derringer as a warm up act. Definitely one of the better openers of any Rush tour. Like Primus, another memorable/likeable, fun opening band would be Max Webster.

Other openers -- longer list here -- UFO, Saxon, FM, Rory Gallagher, Jon Butcher Axis, Fastway, Gary Moore, Helix, Michael Schenker (sp?) Group, Mr. Big, and Eric Johnson. After 42 Rush concerts, I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Archived