Jump to content


The Official 2020 College Football thread


  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:43 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 16 November 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 16 November 2020 - 10:50 AM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 16 November 2020 - 09:18 AM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 15 November 2020 - 09:28 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 14 November 2020 - 11:28 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 14 November 2020 - 04:02 PM, said:

Sparty is awful.  I now know how they could lose to Rutgers.   That game should have been about 48-0.

You must not have had the pleasure of watching Penn State this season! 0-4, woo hoo!
But to match Michigan State's level of putridness, there's still a long way to go.
Ah, we shall see when the Putrid Bowl is played.  11/28/2020 @Michigan Stadium.
Should be interesting.  But not as interesting as the anOSU-Michigan game will be.   Given that there's no love lost between the two schools, anOSU will probably try, and be able to, hang 60 on the Wolvies.
1st, my mistake,  the game is at The Horseshoe, not The Big House.  And while I'm not going as far as 60, Michigan is getting a big number hung on them. The line and the over/under figures are going to be interesting.
AnOSU- Michigan is 12/12 according to what I read.   I'd put 60 as the o/u for anOSU pts and probably take the over; they'll be able to name their score, and there will be no reticence to run it up.

Sponsored Post

#42 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4882 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:44 AM

What the hell happened in and around Tallahassee Saturday?

Was a Clemson player exposed to the virus, test positive, and cause the game against Florida State to be cancelled 3 hours before kickoff?  Was he exposed before he even got on the bus heading to Tallahassee?

Did FSU administrators cancel out of an abundance of caution, or did they Chicken Little, as Dabo seems to think?

Swinney said the teams (emphasis on plural) were ready to throw down.  Were the Semen Holes fearful of an embarrassing beatdown?

Dabo wants FSU to pony up for their travel costs, something around $300K, says if FSU wants to play the game, they'll have to come to Clemson to do so.

Lots of unanswered questions.

Edited by pjbear05, 23 November 2020 - 10:44 AM.


#43 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 13033 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:45 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 23 November 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

What the hell happened in and around Tallahassee Saturday?

Was a Clemson player exposed to the virus, test positive, and cause the game against Florida State to be cancelled 3 hours before kickoff?  Was he exposed before he even got on the bus heading to Tallahassee?

Did FSU administrators cancel out of an abundance of caution, or did they Chicken Little, as Dabo seems to think?

Swinney said the teams (emphasis on plural) were ready to throw down.  Were the Semen Holes fearful of an embarrassing beatdown?

Dabo wants FSU to pony up for their travel costs, something around $300K, says if FSU wants to play the game, they'll have to come to Clemson to do so.

Lots of unanswered questions.

From what I heard, a Clemson player didn't get his test results back till they were nearly to FSU, and when they came back positive FSU decided they weren't comfortable playing anyone who was on the bus with that player. As such, no game was played.

#44 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4882 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:47 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 23 November 2020 - 08:45 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 23 November 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

What the hell happened in and around Tallahassee Saturday?

Was a Clemson player exposed to the virus, test positive, and cause the game against Florida State to be cancelled 3 hours before kickoff?  Was he exposed before he even got on the bus heading to Tallahassee?

Did FSU administrators cancel out of an abundance of caution, or did they Chicken Little, as Dabo seems to think?

Swinney said the teams (emphasis on plural) were ready to throw down.  Were the Semen Holes fearful of an embarrassing beatdown?

Dabo wants FSU to pony up for their travel costs, something around $300K, says if FSU wants to play the game, they'll have to come to Clemson to do so.

Lots of unanswered questions.

From what I heard, a Clemson player didn't get his test results back till they were nearly to FSU, and when they came back positive FSU decided they weren't comfortable playing anyone who was on the bus with that player. As such, no game was played.
OK, I didn't see much of that explanation until I read the AP wire story in today's Slum Sentinel digital paper.  Most of what I had read was just Dabo whining.

#45 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 13033 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:17 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 24 November 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 23 November 2020 - 08:45 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 23 November 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

What the hell happened in and around Tallahassee Saturday?

Was a Clemson player exposed to the virus, test positive, and cause the game against Florida State to be cancelled 3 hours before kickoff?  Was he exposed before he even got on the bus heading to Tallahassee?

Did FSU administrators cancel out of an abundance of caution, or did they Chicken Little, as Dabo seems to think?

Swinney said the teams (emphasis on plural) were ready to throw down.  Were the Semen Holes fearful of an embarrassing beatdown?

Dabo wants FSU to pony up for their travel costs, something around $300K, says if FSU wants to play the game, they'll have to come to Clemson to do so.

Lots of unanswered questions.

From what I heard, a Clemson player didn't get his test results back till they were nearly to FSU, and when they came back positive FSU decided they weren't comfortable playing anyone who was on the bus with that player. As such, no game was played.
OK, I didn't see much of that explanation until I read the AP wire story in today's Slum Sentinel digital paper.  Most of what I had read was just Dabo whining.

He ought to be whining at whoever was in charge of getting test results back before playing the game. If that's the way they've been doing away games all season then it was bound to happen sooner or later.

#46 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:07 PM

Hoosiers beat Badgers, 14-6.  Whatever the Badgers are paying Barry Alvarez, it's not enough.

#47 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 14306 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    Packers, Brewers & Badgers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, Bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    The Universe!!

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:09 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 December 2020 - 07:07 PM, said:

Hoosiers beat Badgers, 14-6.  Whatever the Badgers are paying Barry Alvarez, it's not enough.

So much for Mertz being the Second Coming of Darrell Bevell.... :facepalm:

#48 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:14 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 05 December 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 December 2020 - 07:07 PM, said:

Hoosiers beat Badgers, 14-6.  Whatever the Badgers are paying Barry Alvarez, it's not enough.

So much for Mertz being the Second Coming of Darrell Bevell.... :facepalm:
Yeah, he didn't look that good even when they destroyed Michigan or today.  Surprising after that first game, for sure.  More like the Second coming of Mike Samuel.  :outtahere:  :)

#49 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4882 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:48 PM

Coastal Carolina knocks BYU from the unbeaten ranks, 22-17.

#50 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:01 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 05 December 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

Coastal Carolina knocks BYU from the unbeaten ranks, 22-17.
Fun game...would be interesting to see how these teams would do vs the top of a P5 conference.

The team just above CCU in the Sagarin ratings prior to tonight?  LSU.

#51 pjbear05

pjbear05

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4882 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:02 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 December 2020 - 09:01 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 05 December 2020 - 08:48 PM, said:

Coastal Carolina knocks BYU from the unbeaten ranks, 22-17.
Fun game...would be interesting to see how these teams would do vs the top of a P5 conference.
Heard an interesting take on this last Friday, saying the P5's refused multiple requests by BYU to schedule a game.  These same conferences were then using the strength of schedule mantra in denying BYU a higher ranking.  A moot point now, but still...

Other strangeness:
Ohio State goes to Big 10 Championship game, even if game against Michigan is cancelled due to Covid? I can live with that.

'Bama loses SEC Championship game, but stays in playoff?  WTF?

Say stupid chit below.

Edited by pjbear05, 08 December 2020 - 10:02 AM.


#52 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:34 PM

UM - OSU cancelled, making OSU ineligible for conference title game under current rules.

Paging Barry Alvarez, STAT!

#53 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 14568 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 December 2020 - 02:06 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 December 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

UM - OSU cancelled, making OSU ineligible for conference title game under current rules.

Paging Barry Alvarez, STAT!

I think I heard last weekend that the Big 10 would likely change the rules given the circumstances, and they'd be eligible anyway.

#54 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 7068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver,WA USA
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 December 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 December 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

UM - OSU cancelled, making OSU ineligible for conference title game under current rules.

Paging Barry Alvarez, STAT!

I think I heard last weekend that the Big 10 would likely change the rules given the circumstances, and they'd be eligible anyway.
Why would it matter? I mean let's face it, the four team playoff is totally run by ESPN and any close choices are going to be based on TV ratings. Even if Ohio St. doesn't play another game, they're going to get in because ESPN wants them in. I fully expect them to trot out Kirk Herbstriet in the next couple of days to tell us all the reasons they deserve to get in anyway. (fukk him, he's nothing but a shill for ESPN, the big 10 and Ohio State)
Meanwhile, USC has a nearly identical metric including strength of schedule, margin of victory etc. and there's zero talk of them being included. (and btw, I am NOT a USC fan)

Edited by driventotheedge, 09 December 2020 - 10:30 AM.


#55 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 93121 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:holidaying in Cambodia
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:38 AM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 09 December 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 December 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 December 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

UM - OSU cancelled, making OSU ineligible for conference title game under current rules.

Paging Barry Alvarez, STAT!

I think I heard last weekend that the Big 10 would likely change the rules given the circumstances, and they'd be eligible anyway.
Why would it matter? I mean let's face it, the four team playoff is totally run by ESPN and any close choices are going to be based on TV ratings. Even if Ohio St. doesn't play another game, they're going to get in because ESPN wants them in. I fully expect them to trot out Kirk Herbstriet in the next couple of days to tell us all the reasons they deserve to get in anyway. (fukk him, he's nothing but a shill for ESPN, the big 10 and Ohio State)
Meanwhile, USC has a nearly identical metric including strength of schedule, margin of victory etc. and there's zero talk of them being included. (and btw, I am NOT a USC fan)
I don't think there's much doubt that anOSU, who I don't like and consider the recipient of considerable favoritism in the past, especially inside the league, is one of the four best teams.

i would be interested in seeing the metric that has USC and anOSU as comparable, Sagarin has about a two TD difference between the two and I think the spread in Vegas would open at about anOSU -14.

#56 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 7068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver,WA USA
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:10 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 09 December 2020 - 10:38 AM, said:

View Postdriventotheedge, on 09 December 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 December 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 December 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

UM - OSU cancelled, making OSU ineligible for conference title game under current rules.

Paging Barry Alvarez, STAT!

I think I heard last weekend that the Big 10 would likely change the rules given the circumstances, and they'd be eligible anyway.
Why would it matter? I mean let's face it, the four team playoff is totally run by ESPN and any close choices are going to be based on TV ratings. Even if Ohio St. doesn't play another game, they're going to get in because ESPN wants them in. I fully expect them to trot out Kirk Herbstriet in the next couple of days to tell us all the reasons they deserve to get in anyway. (fukk him, he's nothing but a shill for ESPN, the big 10 and Ohio State)
Meanwhile, USC has a nearly identical metric including strength of schedule, margin of victory etc. and there's zero talk of them being included. (and btw, I am NOT a USC fan)
I don't think there's much doubt that anOSU, who I don't like and consider the recipient of considerable favoritism in the past, especially inside the league, is one of the four best teams.

i would be interested in seeing the metric that has USC and anOSU as comparable, Sagarin has about a two TD difference between the two and I think the spread in Vegas would open at about anOSU -14.
I saw something on TV but I also fully admit I despise Ohio St. and Herbstriet so my opinion is clouded by that. Sadly, I don't actually think USC could beat them.

#57 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 14568 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:22 AM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 09 December 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 08 December 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 December 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

UM - OSU cancelled, making OSU ineligible for conference title game under current rules.

Paging Barry Alvarez, STAT!

I think I heard last weekend that the Big 10 would likely change the rules given the circumstances, and they'd be eligible anyway.
Why would it matter? I mean let's face it, the four team playoff is totally run by ESPN and any close choices are going to be based on TV ratings. Even if Ohio St. doesn't play another game, they're going to get in because ESPN wants them in. I fully expect them to trot out Kirk Herbstriet in the next couple of days to tell us all the reasons they deserve to get in anyway. (fukk him, he's nothing but a shill for ESPN, the big 10 and Ohio State)
Meanwhile, USC has a nearly identical metric including strength of schedule, margin of victory etc. and there's zero talk of them being included. (and btw, I am NOT a USC fan)

There are certain teams that the media adores and OSU is one of them.

#58 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 7068 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver,WA USA
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:59 AM

Washington at Oregon in football tomorrow canceled due to high Covid numbers in Husky land.
A lot of conspiracies in Duckville saying the Huskies just want to be named North champs and are afraid they'll lose to U of O.

Really this is UW's own fault, Their basketball program canceled their game in Spokane against Gonzaga because they supposedly didn't want to risk travel due to Covid yet funnily enough, they travelled to Las Vegas to play UC-Riverside a couple weeks ago. But hey, quality of opponent and the likelihood that they would've have gotten beat by 30+ in Spokane had nothing to do with the decision. amirite Dawgs? Obviously the University's sports teams aren't above "rearranging" their schedules to benefit themselves now are they? It's no wonder Oregon fans think they're dodging the game.

Edited by driventotheedge, 11 December 2020 - 10:04 AM.


#59 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 13033 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 11 December 2020 - 04:08 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 11 December 2020 - 09:59 AM, said:

Washington at Oregon in football tomorrow canceled due to high Covid numbers in Husky land.
A lot of conspiracies in Duckville saying the Huskies just want to be named North champs and are afraid they'll lose to U of O.

Really this is UW's own fault, Their basketball program canceled their game in Spokane against Gonzaga because they supposedly didn't want to risk travel due to Covid yet funnily enough, they travelled to Las Vegas to play UC-Riverside a couple weeks ago. But hey, quality of opponent and the likelihood that they would've have gotten beat by 30+ in Spokane had nothing to do with the decision. amirite Dawgs? Obviously the University's sports teams aren't above "rearranging" their schedules to benefit themselves now are they? It's no wonder Oregon fans think they're dodging the game.

I mean, it's certainly possible. Good news is this shouldn't be a possibility that carries into future seasons.

#60 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

    The Oracle

  • Members *
  • 14568 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 December 2020 - 05:12 PM

Not quite halftime and the Tarheels are beating Thug U (Miami), 34-3. If they keep this up, it's going to end up like the AZ St vs AZ game the other day.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users