Jump to content


What songs from Cinema Strangiato impressed you the most?


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:14 PM

I saw it at the Rangos cinema at the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh.  So... IMAX screen and a sound system to match!

SOLD OUT show that was incredible.

I attended R40 at MSG, and seeing the film in such a full in-your-face environment was tremendous and brought back some great memories.

EVERY song got an applause afterwards, hah.  Who else but Rush could command applause from a 4 yr old concert video?

I'd have to say that Xanadu was hands-down the most intense of all the songs, followed by Headlong Flight.

Alex's blistering solos in Headlong Flight and Working Man especially were jawdropping (not to mention Jonathan Dinklage's violin solo).

The mix was awesome!  Geddy's bass was the star, no doubt.

And as I said in another thread, Geddy's voice sounded amazing, especially on a lot of the alternate takes.

Seeing it all in such detail showed just how hard the lads worked up on stage.

Dude next to me was air drumming!

My *only* complaint was that not enough of the theater did the requisite "HEY!" during Overture, but those of us who did, did it with gusto!

Seeing it where I did made it feel like a real concert experience at times. My friend and I even wondered if we should have brought earplugs.

THUMBS WAY WAY UP for Cinema Strangiato.  They even added another showing for next week!

Edited by zappafrank, 22 August 2019 - 06:24 PM.


Sponsored Post

#2 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1653 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charleston, WV
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

Not playing around me.  :(

#3 zappafrank

zappafrank

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

 Pound of Obscure, on 22 August 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Not playing around me.  :(

How far are you from Pittsburgh?

#4 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1653 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charleston, WV
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

 zappafrank, on 22 August 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

 Pound of Obscure, on 22 August 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Not playing around me.  :(

How far are you from Pittsburgh?
About 3 hours but that's a little far away to watch a video I already have.  Would have been cool to see on a big screen though.

#5 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 30894 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

 Pound of Obscure, on 23 August 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

 zappafrank, on 22 August 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

 Pound of Obscure, on 22 August 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Not playing around me.  :(

How far are you from Pittsburgh?
About 3 hours but that's a little far away to watch a video I already have.  Would have been cool to see on a big screen though.
Yeah, I really dug it with 12 minute ride in the rain. I can’t say it’s worth a three hour drive unless it’s part of a weekend of fun. Now, Saga of a Starworld on the big screen in UHD would be worth a six hour drive!







Edited by JohnRogers, 23 August 2019 - 09:45 AM.


#6 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1653 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Charleston, WV
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

 JohnRogers, on 23 August 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

 Pound of Obscure, on 23 August 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

 zappafrank, on 22 August 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

 Pound of Obscure, on 22 August 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Not playing around me.  :(

How far are you from Pittsburgh?
About 3 hours but that's a little far away to watch a video I already have.  Would have been cool to see on a big screen though.
Yeah, I really dug it with 12 minute ride in the rain. I can’t say it’s worth a three hour drive unless it’s part of a weekend of fun. Now, Saga of a Starworld on the big screen in UHD would be worth a six hour drive!







I'd be there for that one.

#7 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

    From Genesis to Armageddon

  • Members
  • 3241 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

Are other theaters around the US doing a repeat show next week? I'm going to have to investigate this...

#8 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

    The Grammar Police

  • Members *
  • 17400 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Albany, NY
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, playing bass, TV and movies, reading, writing, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

Hemispheres Prelude and Xanadu were both nice treats.  And for some reason I thought the performance of Spirit of Radio was particularly good.

#9 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4799 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

 zappafrank, on 22 August 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

I saw it at the Rangos cinema at the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh.  So... IMAX screen and a sound system to match!

SOLD OUT show that was incredible.

I attended R40 at MSG, and seeing the film in such a full in-your-face environment was tremendous and brought back some great memories.

EVERY song got an applause afterwards, hah.  Who else but Rush could command applause from a 4 yr old concert video?

I'd have to say that Xanadu was hands-down the most intense of all the songs, followed by Headlong Flight.

Alex's blistering solos in Headlong Flight and Working Man especially were jawdropping (not to mention Jonathan Dinklage's violin solo).

The mix was awesome!  Geddy's bass was the star, no doubt.

And as I said in another thread, Geddy's voice sounded amazing, especially on a lot of the alternate takes.

Seeing it all in such detail showed just how hard the lads worked up on stage.

Dude next to me was air drumming!

My *only* complaint was that not enough of the theater did the requisite "HEY!" during Overture, but those of us who did, did it with gusto!

Seeing it where I did made it feel like a real concert experience at times. My friend and I even wondered if we should have brought earplugs.

THUMBS WAY WAY UP for Cinema Strangiato.  They even added another showing for next week!

You remember which songs had the alternate takes? What was different about them?

#10 Justus_2112

Justus_2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 303 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hesperia, CA
  • Interests:Music to the point that I am uninterested in sports.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:32 PM

Losing It was very well done. Nice, full sound. Definitely stood out to me.

#11 Red3angel

Red3angel

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
  • Interests:60s Bond. Art . Sade . Robert plant . The police

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

I took my 17 year old son we had luxurious seating top-of-the-line sound I felt like I was at a concert. Losing it was emotional because we're old

#12 YYZ Working Man

YYZ Working Man

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2203 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mississauga, Ontario

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

didnt play im Mississauga

#13 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4799 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:26 PM

Based on on a list of what was shown my favorite bits would have been Geddy's bass discussion (should have been much longer.)  The Jacob's Ladder soundcheck, Losing It, Anything from the August 1st show, and Alex's song at the end. I guess that clocks in at about 30 minutes.

#14 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 784 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostJustus_2112, on 24 August 2019 - 11:32 PM, said:

Losing It was very well done. Nice, full sound. Definitely stood out to me.

Dinklage's interview leading into the performance, and the blended soundcheck footage, added to why this was a gem for me. I wish there were a way I could see that again.

#15 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 34097 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:07 AM

None




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users