Your top 5 Eagles songs!

New Kid in Town could only be sung by Glenn Frey. Otherwise it’d be trite and dopey. He just has the perfect sad voice.

Thanks, Chem.

Glenn Frey. That's his name. :cheers:

Post-Eagles Glen was on Miami Vice, playing a character based on his solo hit Smuggler's Blues.

dj-gf-miamivice.png?w=608&h=400&crop=1

But overall, Don Henley wins the post-Eagles solo career battle.

New Kid in Town could only be sung by Glenn Frey. Otherwise it’d be trite and dopey. He just has the perfect sad voice.

Thanks, Chem.

Glenn Frey. That's his name. :cheers:

Glenn Frey was made of pure concentrated douche. but dude could write and sing a mean tune. i'll never take that away from him.

he just loved to step on people on the way up.......in that documentary he Gleefully talked about firing Don Felder. and i do mean Gleefully, lol.

it was like watching a super villain, lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

I think last weekend I questioned if Hotel California was really all that great. After listening to it once then, I proceeded not simply to play it more throughout the week, but actively crave it a few times when I couldn't listen to it. All of side 1, Victim Of Love, and The Last Resort are brilliant. Easy contenders for anyone's fav Eagles songs.
  • Like 4

I think last weekend I questioned if Hotel California was really all that great. After listening to it once then, I proceeded not simply to play it more throughout the week, but actively crave it a few times when I couldn't listen to it. All of side 1, Victim Of Love, and The Last Resort are brilliant. Easy contenders for anyone's fav Eagles songs.

It’s a concept album isn’t it? Songs about the rock and roll experience, escape and the byproducts of that.

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 1

Say what you want about Hotel California and it's songs being overplayed. very true. but to me whenever i play it.....i always come away with.....damn that really is one of the best rock albums ever made.

although i confess sometimes i skip the title track, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Victim of Love is a great song.

I think I'll go listen to some Eagles now.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Does anyone here know if they ever discussed their song writing process?

Whose songs do you prefer - Don Henley or the other one (I have a real mental block with his name) - Glen Frey?

They sure had a gift for lyrics

EDIT: Entre, don't mean to derail your thread.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Takin it easy - because my stepdaughter lives in Winslow, AZ (shitty little town)

Life in the Fast Lane

Witchy Woman

That's about it. Hotel California is like Stairway to Heaven - played to death and I don't care if I ever hear it again.

Agreed, but I just listened to it for the first time in decades. It is a good song, but it has been played to death. And those lyrics are priceless.

Edited by Lorraine

Say what you want about Hotel California and it's songs being overplayed. very true. but to me whenever i play it.....i always come away with.....damn that really is one of the best rock albums ever made.

although i confess sometimes i skip the title track, lol

Mick

If you've ever wondered what guitarists mean by "phrasing", listen to the title track's extended outro.

:notworthy:

• Like 2

They actually talk about it in detail in that recent long documentary. In particular, one of them discusses learning from flatmate Jackson Browne.

ETA: equal parts inspiration (In a bar overhearing lyrics like "You can't hide your lyin' eyes...") and endlessly grinding and re-writing (The Long Run album).

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Whose songs do you prefer - Don Henley or the other one (I have a real mental block with his name) - Glen Frey?

i prefer henley's just cause i enjoyed his lyrics more. and Henley had the better voice IMO.

Mick

• Like 1

i prefer henley's just cause i enjoyed his lyrics more. and Henley had the better voice IMO.

Mick

Yeah, Henley's slightly gravelly voice has a bit more appeal, and his lyrics have more bite.
  • Like 2

Mick

Yeah, Henley's slightly gravelly voice has a bit more appeal, and his lyrics have more bite.

Frey was better at like nice chill country tunes. and the lyrics were deep as a shallow puddle but they were catchy and you could sing along.

Henley was better at imagery and emotions, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

:blah: Agree with all three posts above.

Glenn's songs are too twangy for me. When I was listening to the Eagles on Saturday, I thought to myself that a steady diet of them would be a bit too much for me. Don, on the other hand, was different. His I could stand better.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Glenn's songs are too twangy for me. When I was listening to the Eagles on Saturday, I thought to myself that a steady diet of them would be a bit too much for me. Don, on the other hand, was different. His I could stand better.

you ever try Glenn's solo stuff.? oh my he needed that band bad. lol. and he was nowhere near as successful solo as henley. Henley had good success in the 80's. and knowing Glenn's personality that must have ate at him, lol. he had a few hits but Henley had more.

Mick

• Like 1

you ever try Glenn's solo stuff.? oh my he needed that band bad. lol. and he was nowhere near as successful solo as henley. Henley had good success in the 80's. and knowing Glenn's personality that must have ate at him, lol. he had a few hits but Henley had more.

Mick

He was obnoxious, no doubt about that. I never understood why either. He must've been very insecure.

I know I've heard his solo music, but it was so memorable, I forgot it. :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Mick

He was obnoxious, no doubt about that. I never understood why either. He must've been very insecure.

I know I've heard his solo music, but it was so memorable, I forgot it. :laughing guy:

i probably shouldn't 't be so harsh. but it's hard when every interview i've seen he's so smug. Henlety is too don't get me wrong.....but he's more like old windbag boring who loves to hear himself talk. Glenn ALWAYS came across as far more scheming and devious.

i bet he was insecure though.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

i probably shouldn't 't be so harsh. but it's hard when every interview i've seen he's so smug. Henlety is too don't get me wrong.....but he's more like old windbag boring who loves to hear himself talk. Glenn ALWAYS came across as far more scheming and devious.

Mick

So much cocaine and paranoia.

I think these guys get so insulated by their management they then realize that management is in control of them - their finances, and control over the career.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I think these guys get so insulated by their management they then realize that management is in control of them - their finances, and control over the career.

I've come to admire all of them no matter what I think of them personally because they are talented, dedicated, and got worked almost to death to make a buck and many of them got robbed by their managers and/or record deals.

It's not like that so much today I don't think, but in their day and up through at least the nineties, it was. Look at Van Halen. That was no overnight success. Eddie might be a jerk, but he and his brother practiced and practiced and practiced and worked hard to get where they got.

Unless, of course, you marry a record execs daughter. ;)

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I've come to admire all of them no matter what I think of them personally because they are talented, dedicated, and got worked almost to death to make a buck and many of them got robbed by their managers and/or record deals.

It's not like that so much today I don't think, but in their day and up through at least the nineties, it was. Look at Van Halen. That was no overnight success. Eddie might be a jerk, but he and his brother practiced and practiced and practiced and worked hard to get where they got.

Unless, of course, you marry a record execs daughter. ;)

Or sister, which is what I believe Alex did - he married Ray Danniels' sister!