TRF searches for greatest progressive rock album of all time! Pt. 1, the nominees!

Entre_Perpetuo

[This album is no less prog than Toto IV or Hydra.]

That was the point I was trying to make although I think you meant to say "no more prog than Toto IV or Hyrda."

Anyway, yes if we say 90125 is prog then it opens up the floodgates where we have to say not only Toto but all of Steely Dan is prog, all of the later Genesis, all of Styx, later Journey, Tears for Fears and pretty much any arty band or any pop rock band with SOME prog elements or influences and it gets to be a bit ridiculous. Lot's of bands had prog elements but it doesn't make them prog. I think people want 90125 to be prog just because they are generally considered to be a prog band and can't fathom them doing a non prog album. The fact is for that record they started out as Cinema and just added Jon at the last minute(more or less) so their intention wasn't even to become Yes in the first place.

I actually don't personally care what people call 90125. For what it's worth I think it's far and away Yes' best album. But the idea that it's a "pop" album has always struck me as funny. Some of its songs did get played on MTV and the radio. For some "proggers" that is a sin no true "prog" band would allow to happen.

It's a progressive rock album, even though there's no Owner of a Lonely Heart (Reprise) on it, and It Can Happen doesn't have a "Part VI: A Journey into the Thumbnail Sketch of One's Mind" in it.

That was the point I was trying to make although I think you meant to say "no more prog than Toto IV or Hyrda."

Anyway, yes if we say 90125 is prog then it opens up the floodgates where we have to say not only Toto but all of Steely Dan is prog, all of the later Genesis, all of Styx, later Journey, Tears for Fears and pretty much any arty band or any pop rock band with SOME prog elements or influences and it gets to be a bit ridiculous. Lot's of bands had prog elements but it doesn't make them prog. I think people want 90125 to be prog just because they are generally considered to be a prog band and can't fathom them doing a non prog album. The fact is for that record they started out as Cinema and just added Jon at the last minute(more or less) so their intention wasn't even to become Yes in the first place.

I actually don't personally care what people call 90125. For what it's worth I think it's far and away Yes' best album. But the idea that it's a "pop" album has always struck me as funny. Some of its songs did get played on MTV and the radio. For some "proggers" that is a sin no true "prog" band would allow to happen.

It's a progressive rock album, even though there's no Owner of a Lonely Heart (Reprise) on it, and It Can Happen doesn't have a "Part VI: A Journey into the Thumbnail Sketch of One's Mind" in it.

It's a pop album in the same way Styx, Asia, Journey etc are "pop" albums not in the same way Madonna or Brittany Spears was. Nobody ever said straight pop though more like pop rock. Obviously you do care though otherwise you wouldn't keep arguing about it. Anyway, you keep calling it a progressive rock album doesn't change anything. You can call it a metal album if you want it doesn't make it true.

It's a pop album in the same way Styx, Asia, Journey etc are "pop" albums not in the same way Madonna or Brittany Spears was. Nobody ever said straight pop though more like pop rock. Obviously you do care though otherwise you wouldn't keep arguing about it. Anyway, you keep calling it a progressive rock album doesn't change anything. You can call it a metal album if you want it doesn't make it true.

This is a forum right? You keep talking about this, even though you suggested you were going to stop a while back. Which is fine, but I'm equally entitled to respond. If people don't want others to offer their opinion to their posts, I usually suggest a blog may be more for them.

I'm calling it a progressive rock album because it is one. I asked you to provide me with some guidance as to why it isn't, and all you've done is said because you say so. Other than song length, it meets your own criteria. I get it. It's a pop rock album and not a progressive rock album to you because it sold well. That's not a very useful metric however.

This is a forum right? You keep talking about this, even though you suggested you were going to stop a while back. Which is fine, but I'm equally entitled to respond. If people don't want others to offer their opinion to their posts, I usually suggest a blog may be more for them.

I'm calling it a progressive rock album because it is one. I asked you to provide me with some guidance as to why it isn't, and all you've done is said because you say so. Other than song length, it meets your own criteria. I get it. It's a pop rock album and not a progressive rock album to you because it sold well. That's not a very useful metric however.

No, album sales have nothing to do with it plus I never said that so please don't put words in my mouth.

Anyway, I guess you weren't paying attention because I mentioned why(other than song length)why it's not prog.Maybe go back and reread my previous posts. Also you can read this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristics_of_progressive_rock

No, imo I'm the one responding to you. You say silly things(ie Asia and 90125 are pure prog albums) and I respond. Simple as that. You stop replying and I won't post anything in regards to this.

I'm saying it isn't a prog rock album(in the traditional sense of what prog is)because it isn't one. I'm not the only one who feels this way though. https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-yes-90125-considered-a-prog-album.147361/

Edited by New_World_Man

you realize yes were selling out arenas and receiving airplay a decade before 90125 was released, right? they played madison square garden on the close to the edge tour, an album I'd assume you'd consider "pretentious." if someone thinks 90125 sucks, it's not because it's popular - the most talked about bands on this forum play arenas, and everyone here is a fan of moving pictures. it's possible that some people just think an album sucks, even if mtv rotation is your version of proof that it doesn't

No, album sales have nothing to do with it plus I never said that so please don't put words in my mouth.

Anyway, I guess you weren't paying attention because I mentioned why(other than song length)why it's not prog.Maybe go back and reread my previous posts. Also you can read this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristics_of_progressive_rock

No, imo I'm the one responding to you. You say silly things(ie Asia and 90125 are pure prog albums) and I respond. Simple as that. You stop replying and I won't post anything in regards to this.

I'm saying it isn't a prog rock album(in the traditional sense of what prog is)because it isn't one. I'm not the only one who feels this way though. https://forums.steve...g-album.147361/

So other people's opinions are what bolster the correctness of your own? Fine. Entre agrees with me. So I'm right I guess.

I did read your other posts. "long songs, long instrumental passages, complexity(odd time signatures)." All present on 90125, other than, as I've already said, length.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I get that you don't want to acknowledge that your point is really that "prog" has to be pretentious to be authentic. I just think that's a dumb metric to use. Not uncommon. But still dumb.

you realize yes were selling out arenas and receiving airplay a decade before 90125 was released, right? they played madison square garden on the close to the edge tour, an album I'd assume you'd consider "pretentious." if someone thinks 90125 sucks, it's not because it's popular - the most talked about bands on this forum play arenas, and everyone here is a fan of moving pictures. it's possible that some people just think an album sucks, even if mtv rotation is your version of proof that it doesn't

No one's talking about whether the album is good or not. The discussion is whether it can be called progressive rock.

I'm saying it isn't a prog rock album(in the traditional sense of what prog is)because it isn't one. I'm not the only one who feels this way though. https://forums.steve...g-album.147361/

So other people's opinions are what bolster the correctness of your own? Fine. Entre agrees with me. So I'm right I guess.

I did read your other posts. "long songs, long instrumental passages, complexity(odd time signatures)." All present on 90125, other than, as I've already said, length.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. I get that you don't want to acknowledge that your point is really that "prog" has to be pretentious to be authentic. I just think that's a dumb metric to use. Not uncommon. But still dumb.

Nope. Never said that either about being pretentious. So there you go again assuming stuff that I didn't say or imply. I guess I can assume that you think Toto, Journey and all the other bands I mentioned are prog too right? Anyway, making assumptions about what people think without them saying them is dumb so if anything you are the dummy not me.

Anyway, no I was just showing you that others agree with me. Others agree with you too if that makes you feel better. Segue agrees with me so I guess we can all find someone who agrees with us. Anyway, no I go by wikipedia(as well as my own judgement). Here is what wikipedia says(and no they are not always right but with this they are more or less spot on): "They adopted a more commercial and pop-oriented musical direction as the result of their new material, much of which derived from Rabin's demos,"

Where are the odd time signatures and complexity and long instrumental sections on 90125 other than "changes?" There's maybe two or three tracks on the album that are prog or proggish but imo that's not enough to justify calling it a true prog album. Also, just because there's vocal complexity doesn't make it prog anyway. Queen had vocal complexity too at times.

Edited by New_World_Man

Nope. Never said that either about being pretentious. So there you go again assuming stuff that I didn't say or imply. I guess I can assume that you think Toto, Journey and all the other bands I mentioned are prog too right?

"Either?" What else is wrong. The quote of yours?

Long songs with extended instrumental passages and complex time signatures are part of your metric. My goodness, I'm not sure where I'd get pretentiousness from.

Journey is a pop rock band, certainly during the Perry era. Toto has 3 songs I know, none of which I found interesting enough to listen to twice. I would say they strike me more as a 70s style easy listening band to be honest. Who else?

Nope. Never said that either about being pretentious. So there you go again assuming stuff that I didn't say or imply. I guess I can assume that you think Toto, Journey and all the other bands I mentioned are prog too right?

Long songs with extended instrumental passages and complex time signatures are part of your metric. My goodness, I'm not sure where I'd get pretentiousness from.

Journey is a pop rock band, certainly during the Perry era. Toto has 3 songs I know, none of which I found interesting enough to listen to twice. I would say they strike me more as a 70s style easy listening band to be honest. Who else?

You keep saying stuff I didn't say or think. I didn't say or think the first thing or the second and so that's why I said "either."

I don't see how those qualities(long songs, extended instrumental passages etc) would translate to something being pretentious unless of course you were a rolling stone music critic or something. So yeah, I don't know where you would get pretentious from either. I guess your sarcasm has backfired on you.

Edited by New_World_Man

You keep saying stuff I didn't say or think. I didn't say or think the first thing or the second and so that's why I said "either."

I don't see how those qualities(long songs, extended instrumental passages etc) would translate to something being pretentious unless of course you were a rolling stone music critic or something. So yeah, I don't know where you would get pretentious from either. I guess your sarcasm has backfired on you.

You didn't say, "I'm not the only one who feels this way though. https://forums.steve...-album.147361/" or you didn't mean that the opinions of people posting on Mr. Hoffman's board should be seen to bolster your own? C'mon.

You, "don't see how those qualities(long songs, extended instrumental passages etc) would translate to something being pretentious?" Where do you suppose punk came from?

Edited by Rick N. Backer

I shouldn't have to say it. It's pretty common knowledge to most prog fans and music fans and Yes fans that 90125 was not a proper prog rock album. I've been into this music and studied this stuff for the past 30 years or so. Bolster? Not sure about that but consensus among prog fans and Yes fans again based on my many years of being into this suggest most consider 90125 a proggish pop rock album or maybe just pure pop rock but certainly not proper prog. You my friend would be the outlier in your opinion on this(as suggested by not just the Hoffman forums but my own experience and research). I could give you a lot of "come ons" too dude. Come on.

The music in and of itself isn't pretentious. It's just that was people's interpretations of it(including obviously the punk rockers). Is jazz pretentious? Is classical pretentious? Some might think so but not everyone.

Edited by New_World_Man

1. Rush- 2112

2. Yes- Tales From Topographic Oceans

3. Genesis- Foxtrot

4. Rush- A Farewell To Kings

5. Yes- Fragile

6. Yes- Close To The Edge

7. Rush - Hemispheres

8. Genesis-The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

9. Pink Floyd-Dark Side Of The Moon

10. Porcupine Tree-Fear Of A Blank Planet

11. The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

12. Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

13. ELP - Tarkus

14. Jethro Tull-Thick As A Brick

15. Spocks beard- the light

16. Between the buried and me- colors

17. The Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery And Imagination

18. Genesis - trick of the tail

19. Ozric tentacles - erpland

20. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

21. Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood

22. Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

23. Marillion - Misplaces Childhood

24. Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

25. Genesis - Nusery Cryme

26. Mekong Delta- Dances of Death (and Other Walking Shadows)

27. Gentle Giant - Three Friends

28. Porcupine Tree-Deadwing

29. Porcupine Tree-Signify

30. King Crimson-Red

31. Gentle Giant - In A Glass House

32. Dream Theater - Images & Words

33. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

34. Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

35. Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow

36. Focus - Hamburger Concerto

37. Änglagård -- Epilog

38. Rush - Caress Of Steel

39. Radiohead - OK Computer.

40. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

41. Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico

42. Yes - 90125

43. Pink Floyd - Animals

44. Yes - the yes ablum

45. Muse - absolution

46. Pink Floyd - The Wall

47. Yes - Relayer ** this album MUST be on this list

48. Arthur Brown - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

49. Supertramp - Crime of the Century

50. Pink Floyd - Ummagumma

51. Banco - Darwin!

52. Steven Wilson - Hand.Cannot.Erase.

53. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

54. Rush - Permanent Waves

55. Rush - Moving Pictures

56. PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto

57. Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

58. King’s X - Faith, Hope, Love

59. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

60. Kansas - Leftoverture

61. Kansas - Point Of Know Return

62. Dream Theater - Metropolis pt 2: Scenes From A Memory

63. UK - UK

64. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

65. Magma - MDK

66. Muse - Origin Of Symmetry

67. Kansas - Song For America

68. Dream Theater - 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence

69. Dream Theater - Octavarium

70. Frost - Milliontown

71. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

72. Le Orme - Felona E Sorona

73. Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star

74. Queensryche - Empire

75. Queen -- A Night at the Opera

76. Nektar -- Journey to the Centre of the Eye

77. Queen -- Queen II

78. Alan Parsons Project - I Robot

79. Neal Morse - Sola Scriptura

80. Yes - Big Generator

81. Camel - Mirage

82. Asia - Asia

83. Chris Squire - Fish Out Of Water

84. The Strawbs - Hero and Heroine

85. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

86. Iron Maiden - Killers

87. Blackfield - Blackfield II

88. Nektar - Remember The Future

89. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

90. Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

91. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

92. voivod - dimension hatross

93. rush - hold your fire

94. Camel - the snowgoose

95. Steve Hackett - At The Edge Of Light

96. King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic

97. w.a.s.p. - the last command

98. dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

While dredg's more song-oriented Art Rock album "Catch Without Arms" may be their best album, "Pariah" is definitely their proggiest. Borrowing lyrical concepts from essays by Salman Rushdie, the album explores concepts of humanity, existence, meaning and self-identity with wonder and purpose. It moves from grinding, almost industrial hard rock sounds as in the song "Lightswitch"; to gentle, nostalgic pieces like "Cartoon Showroom". Instrumentally, it's a strong album, with the use of slide guitar standing out and giving it a bright and unique tone. Really a solid album on all fronts.

Edited by KenJennings

[ they played madison square garden on the close to the edge tour,]

Actually no, they didn't play there until later. They did play at the old spectrum though which was probaby just as big(or close to it).

Actually no, they didn't play there until later. They did play at the old spectrum though which was probaby just as big(or close to it).

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yes/1974/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-73d2a2ad.html

damn, you're right. tales tour was the first garden show. even better

https://www.setlist....y-73d2a2ad.html

damn, you're right. tales tour was the first garden show. even better

Not every show is listed on that setlist website I don't think. It seems to depend on whether someone went and posted it on there. I was going by the forgotten yesterdays website which lists pretty much every show Yes has ever done.

Edited by New_World_Man

1. Rush- 2112

3. Genesis- Foxtrot

5. Yes- Fragile

7. Rush - Hemispheres

13. ELP - Tarkus

30. King Crimson-Red

37. Änglagård -- Epilog

42. Yes - 90125

43. Pink Floyd - Animals

44. Yes - the yes ablum

45. Muse - absolution

51. Banco - Darwin!

63. UK - UK

65. Magma - MDK

70. Frost - Milliontown

74. Queensryche - Empire

77. Queen -- Queen II

80. Yes - Big Generator

81. Camel - Mirage

82. Asia - Asia

99. Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte

100. Eloy - Ocean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GInqYG7uoso

• Like 1

1. Rush- 2112

3. Genesis- Foxtrot

5. Yes- Fragile

7. Rush - Hemispheres

13. ELP - Tarkus

30. King Crimson-Red

37. Änglagård -- Epilog

42. Yes - 90125

43. Pink Floyd - Animals

44. Yes - the yes ablum

45. Muse - absolution

51. Banco - Darwin!

63. UK - UK

65. Magma - MDK

70. Frost - Milliontown

74. Queensryche - Empire

77. Queen -- Queen II

80. Yes - Big Generator

81. Camel - Mirage

82. Asia - Asia

100. Eloy - Ocean

101. Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was Death

• Like 1

1. Rush- 2112

3. Genesis- Foxtrot

5. Yes- Fragile

7. Rush - Hemispheres

13. ELP - Tarkus

30. King Crimson-Red

37. Änglagård -- Epilog

42. Yes - 90125

43. Pink Floyd - Animals

44. Yes - the yes ablum

45. Muse - absolution

51. Banco - Darwin!

63. UK - UK

65. Magma - MDK

70. Frost - Milliontown

74. Queensryche - Empire

77. Queen -- Queen II

80. Yes - Big Generator

81. Camel - Mirage

82. Asia - Asia

100. Eloy - Ocean

101. Devil Doll - The Girl Who Was Death

102. Aphrodite's Child - 666

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVExlaxaweo

Edited by greyfriar

Initially termed "progressive pop", the style was an outgrowth of psychedelic bands who abandoned standard pop traditions in favour of instrumentation and compositional techniques more frequently associated with jazz, folk, or classical music. Additional elements contributed to its "progressive" label: lyrics were more poetic, technology was harnessed for new sounds, music approached the condition of "art" and the studio, rather than the stage, became the focus of musical activity, which often involved creating music for listening, not dancing.

:)

And...

Prog is based on fusions of styles, approaches and genres, involving a continuous move between formalism and eclecticism. Due to its historical reception, prog's scope is sometimes limited to a stereotype of long solos, overlong albums, fantasy lyrics, grandiose stage sets and costumes, and an obsessive dedication to technical skill.

:bump: for wcm
  • Like 1