2018 MLB Season Thread

The Analog Cub

<p>

And Joe West has hit a new low siding with “Steve Bartman.” :facepalm: He and Devil Hernandez are a disgrace.

The veteran crew chief made a controversial call during Game 4 of the American League Championship Series between the Boston Red Sox and Houston Astros on Wednesday night at Minute Maid Park when he ruled that a fan interfered with Red Sox outfielder Mookie Betts’ ability to rob a home run off the bat of Jose Altuve. The home run would have tied the game at two in the first inning, but instead, Altuve was called out and the Red Sox escaped the frame, going on to win 8-6 to take a 3-1 series lead. After the game, West was asked about the call and decision to uphold it after replay, and his response was simple. “Here’s the whole play,” West said, via USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. “He hit the ball to right field. He jumped up to try to make a catch. The fan interfered with him over the playing field. That’s why I called spectator interference.” West then was asked if it was a clear call. “Yes.” Don’t question Cowboy Joe West.

<span style="color: #000000">

Edited by goose

<p>

And Joe West has hit a new low siding with “Steve Bartman.” :facepalm: He and Devil Hernandez are a disgrace.

The veteran crew chief made a controversial call during Game 4 of the American League Championship Series between the Boston Red Sox and Houston Astros on Wednesday night at Minute Maid Park when he ruled that a fan interfered with Red Sox outfielder Mookie Betts’ ability to rob a home run off the bat of Jose Altuve. The home run would have tied the game at two in the first inning, but instead, Altuve was called out and the Red Sox escaped the frame, going on to win 8-6 to take a 3-1 series lead. After the game, West was asked about the call and decision to uphold it after replay, and his response was simple. “Here’s the whole play,” West said, via USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. “He hit the ball to right field. He jumped up to try to make a catch. The fan interfered with him over the playing field. That’s why I called spectator interference.” West then was asked if it was a clear call. “Yes.” Don’t question Cowboy Joe West.

West was right. It was clearly interference.

<p>

:LOL:

And I suppose Verlander's non-called third strike was clearly a ball. :P One's thing is for sure, the umps have not been very good this post-season. I'm not sure if they're any worse than normal, but it sure seems amplified.

<p>

And I suppose Verlander's non-called third strike was clearly a ball. :P One's thing is for sure, the umps have not been very good this post-season. I'm not sure if they're any worse than normal, but it sure seems amplified.

Hater. :)

• Like 1

<p>

Hater. :)

Here's an interesting article on the strike zone, and how increased use of cameras has apparently changed the strike zone (expanded it) and made umpires - contrary to what I feel I've seen in the playoffs - better.

https://www.theatlan...hnology/379443/

The article is from 2013, so the trend may have reversed since then. :P

Another article from 2016 that investigates whether computers would do better. The article opens by citing a Yankees game where Umpire Ron Kulpa mis-called a reported 30 pitches.

https://www.bostongl...rUPN/story.html

Edited by goose

good win, brewers! game 7 tomorrow.

GREAT game. Chock full of strategy, moves and counter-moves, and clutch hits and pitching by the Brewers when they needed it most.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

The Brewers' journeyman catcher Erik Kratz is greeted by his best buddies before the game.

Unbeknownst to Kratz, they got into his house, grabbed all of his MLB jerseys from all of his past teams, and they wore them to the game.

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

87ea3d1b-72ff-41bd-8d17-b26147479de0-MJS_brewers20___04ofx_wood_Bayview17.jpg?width=680&height=510&fit=bounds&auto=webp

jeez do they need to speed these games up...

zzzzzzz...

Try watching in the EST zone. Game 4 of the ALCS ended at around 1 a.m. Great way to get the kids interested in the game.

• Like 1

The Brewers' journeyman catcher Erik Kratz is greeted by his best buddies before the game.

Unbeknownst to Kratz, they got into his house, grabbed all of his MLB jerseys from all of his past teams, and they wore them to the game.

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

87ea3d1b-72ff-41bd-8d17-b26147479de0-MJS_brewers20___04ofx_wood_Bayview17.jpg?width=680&height=510&fit=bounds&auto=webp

:ebert:

I thought Counsell was going to overmanage his team right out of the playoffs. Hopefully they go strong tonight. I just don't think I want to care about a World Series between the Red $$$$o$$$$$ and the Dodger$$$cango$$$$uckmyroyala$$$hole. Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 1

I thought Counsell was going to overmanage his team right out of the playoffs. Hopefully they go strong tonight. I just don't think I want to care about a World Series between the Red $$$$o$$$$$ and the Dodger$$$cango$$$$uckmyroyala$$$hole.

Craig Counsell has a lot of fans as well as critics here in Brewer Land. I am definitely not a fan of his "outgetter" strategy. Starting pitchers should always be expected to go 6 innings or longer.

My only major criticism of Counsell in this series is when he had Jeffress pitch in Game 3. Jeffress almost blew the game AGAIN, after pitching poorly in Games 1 and 2. Overall, his players let him down. The relievers blew Game 2, and the offense really blew it in Game 4.

The Brewers' wealth of good relievers is a blessing. The team is fortunate to have no ego problems in the pitching staff. To my knowledge, no pitcher worries about personal stats - wins and saves. They all just want to win.

• Like 1

I thought Counsell was going to overmanage his team right out of the playoffs. Hopefully they go strong tonight. I just don't think I want to care about a World Series between the Red $$$$o$$$$$ and the Dodger$$$cango$$$$uckmyroyala$$$hole.

Craig Counsell has a lot of fans as well as critics here in Brewer Land. I am definitely not a fan of his "outgetter" strategy. Starting pitchers should always be expected to go 6 innings or longer.

My only major criticism of Counsell in this series is when he had Jeffress pitch in Game 3. Jeffress almost blew the game AGAIN, after pitching poorly in Games 1 and 2. Overall, his players let him down. The relievers blew Game 2, and the offense really blew it in Game 4.

The Brewers' wealth of good relievers is a blessing. The team is fortunate to have no ego problems in the pitching staff. To my knowledge, no pitcher worries about personal stats - wins and saves. They all just want to win.

I can say the same about My A's. Of course the pitching staff was held together by screws, the bullpen was amazing for the most part.

I can say the same about My A's. Of course the pitching staff was held together by screws, the bullpen was amazing for the most part.

If you have several stud relievers, you might as well use them! If you don't, they will go stale.

Ultimately, no manager can be criticized for using them. Winning is the goal, so old school farts (like me) just have to deal with it..... :LOL:

• Like 1

If you have several stud relievers, you might as well use them! If you don't, they will go stale.

Ultimately, no manager can be criticized for using them. Winning is the goal, so old school farts (like me) just have to deal with it..... :LOL:

Sorry but the Brew has gone flat. Welcome to the Off season ://