The Official 2018 "HALLOWEEN" Real Sequel Thread! John Carpenter Has Confirmed He Is Doing The Score! Curtis Is In! Released October 19th 2018!

RUSHHEAD666

Black Christmas is better than Halloween.

As iconic as Halloween has become - and maybe, that might be part of the reason for its impact being lost on me - I will agree with you Segue

Black Christmas has a great vibe, and I would put it ahead on my list

Both are fantastic genre films ... I think there needs to be a marathon in the next few days

We could do a thread where we watch films in a certain order then get back too each other! I loved old horror movies growing up but you guys mention many classics I have never heard of!

But I have always loved Black Christmas. I never realised it came out BEFORE Halloween. I honestly thought it was a remarkable horror inspired by it!

But yeah...

I have never finished Salems Lot or even seen a single Friday 13th.

I saw Suspiria years ago but it remains forgotten in my mind.

Segue, if you ever decide to try a Friday The 13th, please start with the original / 1980 movie .. It is the only one that I can say that I "like", and actually, I love it ... The others are very, very different - I can;t quite explain why here without giving major spoilers away ..

I might be bias to the original as it was filmed about 10 minutes from where I live here in NJ ... It was truly a low-budget / independent movie and I had the absolute pleasure to chat with Betsy Palmer, one of the film's stars at a film convention before she passed away ... She had fond memories of the filming, and told me that they employed guerrilla filmmaking because they had no permits or anything like that - they simply found locations here in NJ, set up and did a take ..

It is a guilty pleasure of mine, by no means a masterpiece of filmmaking, but for me, it is fantastic

• Like 1

I can't wait to see this!

Also can't wait for Earl to update us...

• Like 1

I can't wait to see this!

Also can't wait for Earl to update us...

HAHAHAHA!!

Holy Shit Michael!!!! Michael Myers! LOL!

I could have been selfish and seen the movie on opening night or on Saturday but I made a road trip down to Monterey to see my oldest daughter Zoe at her soccer game.

After the game we raced to some mall and saw the new "Halloween" movie together!!!

I'm so glad I waited to see it with her. She's 21. Was never a big "Halloween"fan but both of my girls had to tolerate a guy who loves Rush and Halloween. LOL!

Alas tis movie was AMAZING!!!

I am literally listening to the new soundtrack right now as I type.

I am soooooooooooooo happy! Even Zoe loved the movie!

I'm glad I will never grow up.

This month has been a whirlwind Rush Forum.

I'm on a plane to Toronto to hang with Geddy and Alex and i met soooooo many amazing wonderful people!

I fly back and then spend some quality time with my amazing daughter.

This movie is a masterpiece.

It's so violent, so well written. So campy, so cheesy so much homage. So incredible.

It's everything I thought it would be.

I gave it a 9 out of 10 because I know nothing in life can be perfect.

Well. "Hemispheres" comes to mind. LOL!

"Halloween" and "Hemispheres."

I love words that start with the letter "H"

I am very "H"appy.

It's making a fortune in it's first week.

John, his son Cody and Dave Davies, related to The Kinks deserves every penny.

Mike, I'm going down to Hollywood on Halloween to watch John and his band play live.

I am going to watch John play "Halloween" On Halloween night.

Another epic dream hoping to come true.

October has always been my favorite month of the year.

Got to keep it going.

Life is short.

Meeting Geddy and Alex and then seeing the new Halloween then seeing John play live all within three weeks.

Love what you love and go with the flow.

You never know when it's time for you to go.

The ups and downs of life are consistent to us all.

Work hard and play harder.

Live life at the fullest and have a fukking ball!!

Happy Halloween to all!

RUSH FOREVER!

Hi Friends, went straight from work to the Palace, and after $ 25 of admission, popcorn, large Coke and nearly twenty minutes of trailers, the main event came on. I think it's TREMENDOUS, and the music certainly helps.

Nick!

It's amazing!

I've known you for so many years and you have always been a wonderful, cool guy!!

Of course you get it!

Saint Nick! You Rock!!

Love,

NICK CASTLE

Going Monday night...can't wait!

Watching the original right now.

A masterpiece.

I won't say a thing.

I'm going to watch the original "Halloween" right now.

I have so many spoilers in my rushhead right now but I won't say a thing.

I knew this movie was going to knock it out of the park. Literally.

I still can't wait to see it.

So far I like only two Halloween movies: the original and H2O.

I didn't hate the remake but the more I think about it the worse it gets.

• Like 1

You are going to LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!! CAPS ON!!!!!!

I want to read your review.

H20 not bad at all! You know i'm an H3 guy.

My top 3: Kind of obvious:

Halloween

Halloween III

Halloween 40

All others are erased.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

This did for Halloween what Creed did for the Rocky series by bringing it back to its roots and completely eliminating the timeline of the others which is refreshing considering what happened at the beginning of the one with Busta Rhymes.

And Ben Traymor is still alive!

Wow!

Amazing post.

Bravo!

You are going to LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!! CAPS ON!!!!!!

I want to read your review.

H20 not bad at all! You know i'm an H3 guy.

My top 3: Kind of obvious:

Halloween

Halloween III

Halloween 40

All others are erased.

Oh I love Halloween 3 but I was only referring to the Myers movies.

They are mostly terrible. Only one I will NEVER watch again is Resurrection.

I still plan to see this film soon!

So I'm not a huge horror fan outside of sci-fi horror (esp the Ridley Scott movies) but I like good movies, and I'll still go to the theater for really good movies. I'd been reading good things about this new Halloween and figured I'd check it out eventually, but this review makes me think I need to see it the theater, being not just good horror but a profound statement in its way. Is this review reaching too far or is this movie really this good? (Full of spoilers if you're concerned)

Halloween: Finally a Really Good Movie About Evil

While it can’t quite compete with the chilling 1978 release, the reboot is a powerful film in its own right.

By SCOTT BEAUCHAMPOctober 31, 2018

jamie-554x350.png

Jamie Lee Curtis reprises role as Laurie Strode in Halloween 2018 (Universal Pictures)

Sequels, especially horror sequels, aren’t supposed to be this good. The exceptions prove the rule. And ever since 1978’s release of John Carpenter’s Halloween, the franchise has been struggling to recreate the box office sales, if not the majestic slasher grandeur, of the original.

They’d failed until this year. 2018’s Halloween reboot isn’t just a return to form, achieving escape velocity from the gravitational pull of previous uninspired sequels. It in some way redeems the false steps that followed the original. And while it can’t quite compete with the exuberance and energy of Carpenter’s 1978 release, it is a powerful film in its own right. Unfortunately, what makes it such a haunting movie is the same quality that so many critics seem unable to appreciate: this is a film about the nature of evil, resisting logical analysis and human understanding.

Paul Westerberg

that only simple prayers work. It’s the same for the plots of successful horror movies, and Halloween is no different. In the original, Michael Myers escapes from an asylum where he’s been institutionalized since killing his sister when he was only six years old. Pursued by his psychiatrist, Dr. Loomis, Michael drifts through the small all-American town of Haddonfield, Illinois, killing slowly, methodically, and at will. His spree almost resembles a nature documentary more than a contemporary slasher film, with Michael’s very humanity hidden behind a disturbing, white, eyeless mask (actually a William Shatner mask, not that you can easily tell). He’s a simulacrum of a human, death incarnate inhabiting a human face. Michael’s spree reaches its climax on Halloween night, when a final confrontation with teenage babysitter Laurie Strode (played by Jamie Lee Curtis) and Dr. Loomis leave us with a missing Myers body and an ambiguous ending.

The reboot picks up where the original left off, even explaining away the lesser sequels and their flatfooted attempts at understanding Michael’s brutality in the context of family drama as “something that people made up.” Laurie Strode is a grandmother now, holed up inside of a compound, armed to the teeth, and expecting some sort of final confrontation with Michael. Because Michael has been re-institutionalized for decades, Laurie’s family sees her as half permanently traumatized victim and half drama queen nurturing her wounds.

Certainly no one takes her seriously, especially not the British true crime podcasters who descend upon her fortified home and insult her with disrespectful questions. Those podcasters, who begin the film by attempting to interrogate a Michael who refuses to speak to them (or even face them, because we never fully see Michael’s face), are among the first of his victims after he escapes during a hospital transfer. To not take Laurie Strode seriously is to not take evil seriously, and to misunderstand one is to misunderstand the other.

Reviews have tended to emphasize Laurie Strode’s mental health. One called her “permanently unhinged by paranoia.” But here’s the thing: she’s right. Michael does come back, because in the context of the Halloween mythos, Michael isn’t a person but evil itself. And Laurie is the only one who seems to understand the nature of evil. Jamie Lee Curtis is steely, resolved, and bitter as she delivers the lines: “I always knew he’d come back. In this town, Michael Myers is a myth. He’s the Boogeyman. A ghost story to scare kids. But this Boogeyman is real. An evil like his never stops, it just grows older. Darker. More determined. Forty years ago, he came to my home to kill. He killed my friends, and now he’s back to finish what he started, with me. The one person who’s ready to stop him.”

In many ways, this film is a rebuke to the therapeutic society. Philip Rieff wrote in The Triumph of the Therapeutic, “Psychological man may be going nowhere, but he aims to achieve a certain speed and certainty in going. Like his predecessor, the man of the market economy, he understands morality as that which is conducive to increased activity. The important thing is to keep going.” Laurie Stroud is fixated on the past, stuck in her home, which her daughter calls a “trap.” She doesn’t seem to exist in the same chronological flow as the rest of her family or town.

But while everyone around her rebukes her for not letting go of the past, Laurie carries with her the painful burden of understanding that the sort of psychological well-being insisted on by her community comes at the cost of engaging in battle against evil. Rieff, again, wrote, “Religious man was born to be saved; psychological man is born to be pleased.” No one understands that Laurie’s purpose is more profound than placidly enjoying life. What she wants is a kind of cosmic redemption. How she feels about what happened to her is much less important than actually fighting the evil that caused it.

Another aspect of the therapeutic society explored in the film is the idea that we can treat or cure the root cause of suffering through the act of expression. Language itself becomes a meta-perspective, able to transcend the metaphysical heft of both good and evil. Language has the ability to abstract them and transform them into concepts. What Halloween posits is that evil and good are both more profound than language. They defy articulation: good, perhaps, because it’s the source from which all articulation originates; evil, because, in defying the good, it takes the position of anti-logos. Evil is incoherence.

It’s important again to emphasize that Michael isn’t a human character, but a stand-in for evil. And so everyone who tries to understand Michael dies, from the British podcasters who cynically want to sell his story as clickbait without respecting his true and heinous nature to Dr. Sartain, the “new Loomis.” The case of Sartain is an important one because, having spent years analyzing Michael and formulating theories about his motivations, he falls in love with his own abstractions. One of the best moments of the film, and the scene where the mute power of evil is most powerfully on display, is when Sartain longs for Michael to speak to him, demands it, in fact. “Say something!” he screams at evil. Without missing a beat, evil smashes his head in.

There’s a lot to this film, much that I fear will go over the heads of critics so used to movies portraying the same banal messages and philosophies over and over. As James Pinkerton recently pointed out, the film bucks many of our current progressive cultural conventions. But it isn’t quite didactic. In fact, one of the major themes of the film is the nuanced relationship between victim and victimizer. Ruminating on Laurie Strode’s obsession with Michael, Sartain says that he “would suspect the notion of being a predator or the fear of becoming prey keeps both of them alive,” and wonders about the effect that being a victimizer has on Michael.

Indeed, Laurie is forced to become more like Michael in many ways in order to kill him. But far from being a Jungian take on becoming the monsters that we fight, her violence and focus are seen as tools necessary for combating evil. What else is required to fight evil? Three generations of women, an intergenerational family unit, working together even as society (the police, the neighborhood) disintegrates around them. Laurie Strode’s house, where they have the final confrontation with Michael, has turned out to be a “trap, not a cage.” There’s a powerful psychological subtlety in this depiction of victimhood that might be lost on a viewer who brings too simple a political agenda to the film.

The movie ends with the kindness of an unknown stranger, faceless like Michael, driving the women away, a brief but powerful corollary to the anonymous evil incarnate in Michael with the possibility of good as well. But the women are not relieved. The youngest still clutches a knife in her hand, her eyes wide with fear. This is not an unhappy ending. They’re finally aware, vigilant, and silent. And this gets to the heart of why people misunderstand the film. Like the Strode women themselves, evil leaves us with nothing left to interpret. The only thing to do is remain vigilant—and when the time comes, as it always does, to fight against it.

Scott Beauchamp’s work has appeared in the Paris Review, Bookforum, and Public Discourse, among other places. His book Did You Kill Anyone? is forthcoming from Zero Books. He lives in Maine.[/color]

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1