New music from U2? Album apparently expected within this year! I'm shocked! The singles show promise too!

Entre_Perpetuo

Do you like   

8 members have voted

1. 1. The Little Things That Give You Away

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Blackout

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. You're The Best Thing About Me

• yes
    • no

Heard the leak of the new album and it’s even worse than the last one. What happened to Mullen’s drums? It’s mostly electronic machine crap. They’ve turned into one of those bands that only play live but have little instruments on their albums like Coldplay, One Republic and Maroon 5. They’ve lost their edge in both ways.

Heard the leak of the new album and it’s even worse than the last one. What happened to Mullen’s drums? It’s mostly electronic machine crap. They’ve turned into one of those bands that only play live but have little instruments on their albums like Coldplay, One Republic and Maroon 5. They’ve lost their edge in both ways.

Mullen has never been much of a drummer, but every time you see him now, he looks bored out of his mind. Watch the video for The Blackout. That is an upbeat, rocking song, and he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

• Like 1

Mullen has never been much of a drummer, but every time you see him now, he looks bored out of his mind. Watch the video for The Blackout. That is an upbeat, rocking song, and he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else.

He sounds pretty good on Alice Cooper's newest album.

I vaguely remember an old quote of his on some VH1 documentary where he said that the day he feels drumming for them is like a job is the day he quits.

That's Larry though... Larry Sullen. He's as bad as Neil in that respect. I know Larry has had back issues over the years too; might have an impact on his playing and demeanor.

So far I like the album. Better than the last one, although they are quite similar, intentionally of course. After Bomb I stopped expecting U2 to make another grand statement. I could see then that the failure of Pop - an underrated album with a few really bad tracks - and the success of Leave Behind convinced the band that the best place for them was their safe place. I briefly hoped for more from Horizon, but that album was so uneven. So at this point I just want likeable decent releases. Experience seems to be that. Not the grand U2 but still U2.

Edited by Wil1972

The new album seems to be a mixed bag, thus far.

Love Is All We Have Left is a cool song, but one that ends too soon.

Red Flag Day has a really catchy chorus. That one has definitely grabbed me.

American Soul is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've heard in years. What a dreadfully boring chorus.

I wonder what happened to them saying they were going to release music with a "punk" sound?

That was The Miracle Of Joey Ramone

I'd like U2 if they were more of a kick ass heavy metal band with a guitarist who had some balls and a mercurial talent, instead of a lot of reverb and a tendency to play 3 chords over an over.

I think for five albums they were a great rock band. No need for them to be "metal".

But then they turned to shit and...weirdly...seemed to get more and more adoration.

• Like 2

I'd like U2 if they were more of a kick ass heavy metal band with a guitarist who had some balls and a mercurial talent, instead of a lot of reverb and a tendency to play 3 chords over an over.

I think for five albums they were a great rock band. No need for them to be "metal".

But then they turned to shit and...weirdly...seemed to get more and more adoration.

I mean, I enjoyed the nineties stuff, but everything from 2000 on has been a pale imitation, albeit with some fair songs.

• Like 1

I mean, I enjoyed the nineties stuff, but everything from 2000 on has been a pale imitation, albeit with some fair songs.

I won't lie I dislike the nineties stuff, but I admire their ambition. They weren't playing it safe. After 2000? Dull.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

I must say the more I listen to these songs the more they are growing on me. Its not Achtung or Joshua Tree by any stretch... But its better than the last album, and might be better than anything since All That You Can't Leave Behind. Of course, the bar has been set rather low since Bomb came out. But still... I am not hating it as much as I thought I would. I find myself going back to them. They have more focus than the material on the last few albums. Nothing earth-shattering... but still making me want to give it a chance. That is something I guess.
  • Like 1

They were on SNL the other night and I can say I'm not missing anything. I still have everything from Boy up to AB, so I'll listen to that instead. I have a banner if anyone wants it... wonder if its worth anything... Crazy that its been THIRTY years since I saw them during JT! I even did a term paper in high school about them for my music requirement. :codger:
  • Like 1

They were on SNL the other night and I can say I'm not missing anything. I still have everything from Boy up to AB, so I'll listen to that instead. I have a banner if anyone wants it... wonder if its worth anything... Crazy that its been THIRTY years since I saw them during JT! I even did a term paper in high school about them for my music requirement. :codger:

I only saw them one time but it was on the ZooTV tour so I figure if there was one tour to see them on that was it.

I must say the more I listen to these songs the more they are growing on me. Its not Achtung or Joshua Tree by any stretch... But its better than the last album, and might be better than anything since All That You Can't Leave Behind. Of course, the bar has been set rather low since Bomb came out. But still... I am not hating it as much as I thought I would. I find myself going back to them. They have more focus than the material on the last few albums. Nothing earth-shattering... but still making me want to give it a chance. That is something I guess.

I mostly agree with this. It is mostly a nice listen, with the exception of the shitty American Soul and a couple bland tunes near the end, but I don't see anything on this being one of those U2 songs that you just have to have. And I liked most of Songs of Innocence, and think that had a few keepers (The Troubles, Every Breaking Wave, Iris and the bonus track Crystal Ballroom).

• Like 1

I mostly agree with this. It is mostly a nice listen, with the exception of the shitty American Soul and a couple bland tunes near the end, but I don't see anything on this being one of those U2 songs that you just have to have. And I liked most of Songs of Innocence, and think that had a few keepers (The Troubles, Every Breaking Wave, Iris and the bonus track Crystal Ballroom).

Raised By Wolves was my favorite there, a small callback to War that I love so much.

• Like 1