Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the Rush album Vapor Trails

1. 1/10 (5 votes [7.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

2. 2/10 (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

3. 3/10 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4/10 (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

5. 5/10 (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

6. 6/10 (9 votes [13.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.43%

7. 7/10 (16 votes [23.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.88%

8. 8/10 (15 votes [22.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.39%

9. 9/10 (6 votes [8.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.96%

10. 10/10 (8 votes [11.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1193 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

I'd like it a lot better if they did some editing and left filler/mediocre songs like Freeze and Nocturne and Out Of The Cradle off the final cut. They also make the album too long. It shouldve ended after Sweet Miracle if not sooner because that's not a very good song either.

Sponsored Post

#62 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2097 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, Tolkien, baseball (depressingly fatalistic Tribe fan), classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

Gave it an 8, which is really good as I try to resist grade inflation. VT is my favorite post-MP Rush album. Much of it is amazing. "Too many notes" though;  a lot to take in on one listen, would have really been helped if a third of it had been broken off for a companion EP.

#63 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21911 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

View Postgoose, on 17 April 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 April 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

Using frequency overlap as a deliberate tool to sound grungy (or whatever descriptive term you want to use)obviously wasn't their intention initially because otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need for the remix.  
I I'm not certain that they felt the need for a remix.  But certainly many fans had expressed a desire for one, so why not capitali$e on it?

Geddy said they were never happy with the mix on the album.  And when did they ever do anything that we wanted?  ;)

#64 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59555 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 April 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

Using frequency overlap as a deliberate tool to sound grungy (or whatever descriptive term you want to use)obviously wasn't their intention initially because otherwise they wouldn't have felt the need for the remix.  
I I'm not certain that they felt the need for a remix.  But certainly many fans had expressed a desire for one, so why not capitali$e on it?

Geddy said they were never happy with the mix on the album.  And when did they ever do anything that we wanted?  ;)
:lol:

#65 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21911 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

View Postgoose, on 17 April 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

View PostTexMike, on 17 April 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

If VT remix was brought about mainly from fan desire, we should've been inundating them with requests to remove the excess noise from CA for years now.
I think there's far less a fan consensus on that album.

Odd that sound-wise, the last four albums went from pristine (T4E) to noisy (VT) to pristine (Snakes) back to noisy (Clockwork), and that the noisier albums are the more cohesive efforts.

What is amazing to me is that the same guy engineered Snakes and CA.  I think he lost his hearing after Snakes.

#66 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17940 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

View Postjnoble, on 17 April 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

I'd like it a lot better if they did some editing and left filler/mediocre songs like Freeze and Nocturne and Out Of The Cradle off the final cut. They also make the album too long. It shouldve ended after Sweet Miracle if not sooner because that's not a very good song either.

I like Nocturne and Sweet Miracle both, a lot.

#67 condemned2bfree

condemned2bfree

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1798 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

This thread would benefit from a remix :lol: :madra:  :lol:

#68 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59555 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 April 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

If VT remix was brought about mainly from fan desire, we should've been inundating them with requests to remove the excess noise from CA for years now.

Odd that sound-wise, the last four albums went from pristine (T4E) to noisy (VT) to pristine (Snakes) back to noisy (Clockwork), and that the noisier albums are the more cohesive efforts.

What is amazing to me is that the same guy engineered Snakes and CA.  I think he lost his hearing after Snakes.
It is strange.  But then again, Broon followed Moving Pictures' sound with Signals.

#69 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21911 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

View Postgoose, on 18 April 2017 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 17 April 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

It is strange.  But then again, Broon followed Moving Pictures' sound with Signals.

But it's not noisy like CA, at least you can hear all of the instruments clearly.

#70 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1849 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Average rating for VT: 7.2, or something like 3 and a half stars.

#71 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4250 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

View Postlifeson90, on 16 April 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Original easy 10/10

Remixed  goddamn awful 3/10  (although OLV better)

Though I'm glad the remix exists as an alternative, nothing beats the original mix for me.

#72 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4250 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostLucas, on 16 April 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 16 April 2017 - 10:53 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 16 April 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 15 April 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 15 April 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

...there is a lack of tangible riffs and songwriting chops - after two songs, you've heard just about all they had to offer ...the songs just aren't fleshed out or developed .
I could copy and paste this to the A Farewell to Kings thread.

oh c'mon goose, like it or not, the diversity on A Farewell is there in spades

Cygnus and Xanadu are about as perfectly fleshed out as any songs ever ... Closer To The Heart ??
Closer to the Heart and Xanadu are solid.  Cygnus I has very cool musical moments, but the story and some vocal parts I find completely ridiculous.  The title track and Cinderella Man also have good moments, but as a whole seem really disjointed.  And then there's Madrigal...

The love for AFTK is a much a mystery to me as I'm sure my appreciation of Vapor Trails is to Eagle Moon.  That's really part of the beauty of RUSH, I think.

:cheers:

I think one of the issues with Vapor Trails - and definitely Clockwork Angels - is that the band / production team felt that in order to achieve heaviness, every spot on the sound spectrum needed to be saturated .. and the songs suffered

Whether that was an attempt to make mediocre songs sound better or more full, I don't know ..

Paul Northfield was there in the studio with Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures - but perhaps he wasn't the producer they needed at that time . . I really think that as their career progressed, Rush began overstepping their limitations as far as making albums ... regardless of how successful they became, they still needed someone in there to crack the whip and direct them

Rush has always been about "overstepping their limitations."  Part of their charm really.

#73 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4250 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 18 April 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Wait a few days.....

#74 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59555 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

View PostRutlefan, on 17 April 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

Gave it an 8, which is really good as I try to resist grade inflation. VT is my favorite post-MP Rush album. Much of it is amazing. "Too many notes" though;  a lot to take in on one listen, would have really been helped if a third of it had been broken off for a companion EP.
I think VT, S&A and CA all suffer from that.  I truncate all three when I listen to them, but VT is the only one of the three where the shortened listening version is based solely on time rather than songs that i deliberately chop.  I really like every VT song, but the full-album experience is, as you note, a bit much.

#75 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59555 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

View Postytserush, on 18 April 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

View Postcondemned2bfree, on 18 April 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Wait a few days.....
"I'm new here, and maybe this has been done before, but what does everyone think of Vapor Trails...?"

#76 Red3angel

Red3angel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:60s Bond. Art . Sade . Robert plant . The police

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

The more I  play it the more I like it

#77 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32410 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:11 AM

How did I miss this golden poll?

When I bought "Vapor Trails" on it's true release day I listened to it over and over again and I liked it.  Never loved it.

Today?

I can't even stomach the record.

It is by far the worst Rush record in their extensive catalog.  More like a log of shite.  Snail Trails.  Skid Mark Trails inside tighty whitey Fruit Of The Looms!

"Vapor Trails" is the antonym of the word "Melodic."

It's junk for my progressive ears.

"The way out is the way in?"  Get me the fuckk out of this album.

It's the St. Anger Rush Record.

This album is "LESS THAN ZERO!"

Signed,

Rob Blow I mean Lowe

You intellectuals get it right?

0/10

#78 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32023 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 02:09 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

When I bought "Vapor Trails" on it's true release day I listened to it over and over again and I liked it.  Never loved it.

Today?

It is by far the worst Rush record in their extensive catalog.  More like a log of shite.  Snail Trails.  Skid Mark Trails inside tighty whitey Fruit Of The Looms!

Signed,

Rob Blow I mean Lowe

0/10

#79 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59555 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

Today?

Signed,

Rob Blow I mean Lowe

0/10
The vacant laugh of true insanity...

#80 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 24370 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

At the time, it was their best album since at least GUP.  It was surpassed by Snakes which was in turn surpassed by CA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users