Ronnie James Dio

treeduck

Curious as to what has transpired that made treeduck start the thread

I was fortunate enough to finally see him a few years back as part of heaven and hell with amazing seats just off the floor with queensryche and Alice cooper in support. outlaws motorcycle gang were in attendance with huge numbers on the floor and I enjoyed watching them keep order while security stayed back and just hauled out people that the outlaws deemed out of order.

I have to disagree that he ruined sabbath. Those albums were excellent including live evil and, if anything, saved the band.

• Like 9

Curious as to what has transpired that made treeduck start the thread

I was fortunate enough to finally see him a few years back as part of heaven and hell with amazing seats just off the floor with queensryche and Alice cooper in support. outlaws motorcycle gang were in attendance with huge numbers on the floor and I enjoyed watching them keep order while security stayed back and just hauled out people that the outlaws deemed out of order.

I have to disagree that he ruined sabbath. Those albums were excellent including live evil and, if anything, saved the band.

I just go with my natural thread-making instincts!

• Like 1

Don't remember ever having an official RJD thread since i've been a member. I know we've discussed him many times in other threads though. I guess better late than never.

I can't top treeduck's story of meeting Dio back in 1986 but I did meet him at a record store signing in 1998. I know i've told that story a couple times on this site.

• Like 3

Don't remember ever having an official RJD thread since i've been a member. I know we've discussed him many times in other threads though. I guess better late than never.

I can't top treeduck's story of meeting Dio back in 1986 but I did meet him at a record store signing in 1998. I know i've told that story a couple times on this site.

You met Dio?? HOW AWESOME!! :cheers:

• Like 1

I dont see what people see in Dio....

He seems to be a real asshole in interviews and he destroyed Black Sabbath.

You must be thinking of someone else.

He must mean Ian Gillan

• Like 2

He must mean Ian Gillan

Or Tony Martin.

Iommi ruined the Sabbath name actually. He gave into record company pressure to keep the name after Gillan left the band. He wanted to just be a solo act after that. But Iommi is Sabbath and Sabbath is Iommi so there was really no difference in the end.

Dio was such a charismatic frontman. Even in smaller venues it felt like he was performing for a sold out arena. A short man who came across as larger than life.

• Like 4

He must mean Ian Gillan

Or Tony Martin.

Iommi ruined the Sabbath name actually. He gave into record company pressure to keep the name after Gillan left the band. He wanted to just be a solo act after that. But Iommi is Sabbath and Sabbath is Iommi so there was really no difference in the end.

Dio was such a charismatic frontman. Even in smaller venues it felt like he was performing for a sold out arena. A short man who came across as larger than life.

I saw him on The Last in Line tour and again on The Devil You Know tour. He clearly appreciated the fans. Class, through and through.

• Like 4

RJD's first 2 albums with Sabbath were better than anything done with Ozzy.

And his first two solo albums are better than anything Sabbath did after Mob Rules, and anything Ozzy did after Diary.

I'm big on the Jake E Lee Ozzy albums actually and Dehumanizer, but for sure none of these beat Holy Diver.

• Like 2

I honestly think that

Paranoid > Heaven and Hell

Blizzard of Ozz > Holy Diver

13 > The Devil You Know

But all that RJD works remain legendary anyway and we can't absolutely forget his 1975-78 years

RJD's first 2 albums with Sabbath were better than anything done with Ozzy.

And his first two solo albums are better than anything Sabbath did after Mob Rules, and anything Ozzy did after Diary.

I'm big on the Jake E Lee Ozzy albums actually and Dehumanizer, but for sure none of these beat Holy Diver.

I like Bark at the Moon. I think it's Ozzy's last truly great solo album. I'm less into The Ultimate Sin. Dehumanizer doesn't have enough variety for my tastes, the way Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules did. I'll take Last in Line and Holy Diver over all of those.

• Like 1

I honestly think that

Paranoid > Heaven and Hell

Blizzard of Ozz > Holy Diver

13 > The Devil You Know

But all that RJD works remain legendary anyway and we can't absolutely forget his 1975-78 years

I agree with this, except I think Heaven and Hell is better than Paranoid. It's close though.

Dio seemed a great guy treating his fans really well, he appreciated them openly for sure, Ritchie being an inspiration :LOL: .

I was really upset to see the footage he put up, while he was having treatment, he had one of the greatest voices not just in metal, but in music.

• Like 2

You got to meet Ronnie James Dio? That's really cool!

Both treeduck and I have. His story is better than mine though since it was a random encounter.

I meet Dio at a record store signing which I guess you can say was a scheduled encounter lol.

• Like 1

An interesting thing about Dio is that he was actually older than Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Ozzy and Ian Gillan. Iommi is 68, Ozzy is 67, Blackmore is 71, Ian Gillan is 71 but if he were alive today Dio would have been 74.
  • Like 2

Crapola. I was gonna impress you with a signed copy of Magica my loving wifey came across for my birthday. Holy s***. Signed by Dio himself and Jimmy Bain and the rest of the band. My computer can take the picture (my camera no longer can) but it won't recognize it to post it anywhere. Tired of all these craps. I mean, apps. I miss computers that were as sturdy as a '72 Pinto, not the touchy crap we get now.
  • Like 1