Jaco: Bass players- sell me on this guy

Del_Duio

Not sure where the comparisons to Eddie Van Halen come from - Eddie did things that no one ever did, built a guitar from a pile of spare parts and revolutionized the way the instrument was approached ..

How did Jaco revolutionize the way bass was approached ?? .. Guys from Paul Chambers to Chris Squire to John Entwistle to Charles Mingus, Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter - they all did amazing and innovative stuff before Jaco ..

Jaco was an excellent bassist, but let's not get carried away

He's not in the same league as Eddie as far as impact

Well to be fair, Eddie influenced a lot of dopey bedroom shredder spandex wearing guys, whereas Jaco influenced guys who went to Berklee.

I think you are underestimating Eddie's impact, and over estimating the relevance of schooling and musicians

I'm well aware of eddies impact. Im one of his biggest fans here on TRF. But Jaco is like Coltrane and Miles Davis.. In sorry, but as influential as Eddie is, and yes, many great, respected rock players name check him, he brought about a lot of terrible sunset strip hair metal Eddie wanna bes.. In the world of music, Jaco is much more revered and respected.. Jazz guys will

Always win out over rock guys in that world

What world are we talking about ?? .. Jazz guys who place false importance on a meaningless degree and base relevance on education ??

If that's the case, then why bother with Jaco, and go directly to Paganini or Antonio Vivaldi ?

There are as many reasons why a particular musician is considered great as there are people who listen - each musician brings their own story to the music, as does each listener ..

Les Paul dropped out of high school, Hendrix never finished high school, Chuck Berry got his high school diploma while in prison and Eddie is Eddie .... I'll take those four on my Mt Rushmore of importance over any overblown Berklee educated bore

Jazz musicians tend to be (on average) better musicians.

Based on what ?

In this case, we were talking about Jaco's impact on not simply the bass guitar, but the music world

Jaco did not, does not, and never will have the impact that Eddie did .. or Hendrix .. or Les Paul

He's a good bassist, and he is revered in a tight little group, but he didn't turn any world on it's head like Eddie did

You're comparing apples or oranges. Jaco didn't play guitar, which was already an instrument used for solo and independent compositions. He helped bring the instrument to the forefront in music, not just something thumping in the background.

And this sort of makes my point even more so ( even though I disagree that pre Jaco, bass was strictly a background instrument )

There were guitar heroes out there, dating back decades - and guitar is not only considered a lead instrument, but also a songwriting tool ..

There is a big difference between standing out when there is a crowd around and standing out when your instrument is traditionally in the background ..

Eddie blew the doors off an established room, a room that was occupied by Clapton, Page, Blackmore, Beck, Hendrix, etc - Those are icons, and a 22 year old kid with a piece of junk homemade guitar humbled all of them ..

The way guitar was approached was changed forever

And in some cases ( Billy Sheehan ), the way bass was approached too

In fact, an argument could be made that Victor Wooten owes as much to Eddie as anyone

I'm not sure what you're arguing about. Nobody denies that Eddie was a big influence on young teenybopper guitarists, but he did not invent tapping. We're talking about Jaco and how he influenced a lot of bassists that came after him.

• Like 2

Not sure where the comparisons to Eddie Van Halen come from - Eddie did things that no one ever did, built a guitar from a pile of spare parts and revolutionized the way the instrument was approached ..

How did Jaco revolutionize the way bass was approached ?? .. Guys from Paul Chambers to Chris Squire to John Entwistle to Charles Mingus, Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter - they all did amazing and innovative stuff before Jaco ..

Well to be fair, Eddie influenced a lot of dopey bedroom shredder spandex wearing guys, whereas Jaco influenced guys who went to Berklee.

I think you are underestimating Eddie's impact, and over estimating the relevance of schooling and musicians

I'm well aware of eddies impact. Im one of his biggest fans here on TRF. But Jaco is like Coltrane and Miles Davis.. In sorry, but as influential as Eddie is, and yes, many great, respected rock players name check him, he brought about a lot of terrible sunset strip hair metal Eddie wanna bes.. In the world of music, Jaco is much more revered and respected.. Jazz guys will

What world are we talking about ?? .. Jazz guys who place false importance on a meaningless degree and base relevance on education ??

If that's the case, then why bother with Jaco, and go directly to Paganini or Antonio Vivaldi ?

There are as many reasons why a particular musician is considered great as there are people who listen - each musician brings their own story to the music, as does each listener ..

Les Paul dropped out of high school, Hendrix never finished high school, Chuck Berry got his high school diploma while in prison and Eddie is Eddie .... I'll take those four on my Mt Rushmore of importance over any overblown Berklee educated bore

Let's forget what I said about Berklee. I place no significance on a musician who is schooled. My point is that Jaco wrote music that appealed to mostly musicians. Get 10 musicians in a room and tell them Eddie had more impact than Jaco, and you'd get laughed at.. Again, HUGE Eddie fan.. But Jaco is on another level

I disagree with the notion that any 10 musicians would scoff at Eddie's impact compared to Jaco .. Personal preference and taste - that's one thing - but even if a musician isn't standing there in tiger striped spandex, I think most who understand would fully acknowledge Eddie Van Halen and his place not only in guitar history, but music history ..

Again, it's personal taste .. and I don't want to disparage Jaco and his music - for example, I love Al Di Meola - and have seen him about a dozen times with his band, with the Paco and John McLaughlin and with Return To Forever - but as good as Al is, he no Eddie in terms of what he brought to the table, and the electricity he created .. Not to mention the songs - that is a big thing in my book ....

It's not easy removing the "hero" tag and writing a great song - just listen to Al D's "I Can Tell" .....

It's all good though

( it's just that Eddie was a little more good ;)

Yeah, sorry Lucas. I have to disagree. The music that Jaco wrote was just far more sophisticated than Eddie. Apples to oranges, as Eagle said.. But Eddies appeal is pretty much ROCK guys exclusively.

Here is a piece from Musician magazine , from 1991. Eddie shared the stage with Steve Morse and Albert Lee.. And yes, I realize this is all personal preference regarding taste etc.. But the point of this article is Eddie got his ass handed to him by a couple guys who play outside of the rock world.. Eddies style is cool, but he isn't as diverse and musical as guys like this..

http://www.stevemorse.info/interviews/199105musician.html

Eddie has balls of brass for getting into what's basically an Albert Lee set of demanding hoedowns. Most of the time he rises to it, but he simply doesn't have the right hand to keep up with these cats. What he can't tackle with melody he pounds out by hitting his whammy bar in time to the song, sticking to Hendrix themes and screams. Morse plays the life out of a slow one, squeezing some liquid lines that sound like a pedal-steel, and by the time the the baton gets to Ed he knows his number's up�he's got a lot of assets, but being a sensitive balladeer isn't among them. When it's obvious he can't cut it in the few moments, Ed resorts to the "elephant," a novel way of making a guitar groan by hitting three dissonant notes and swelling up the volume. The crowd responds accordingly. But when everyone starts trading fours on a high-velocity country blues, Ed begs off and watches aghast as Albert and Steve burn chorus after chorus, Steve flailing arpeggios, Albert just simply, unbelievably Albert. The country boys really stick it to the city slicker this time; Ed's got the wind knocked out of him. He throws his head back and blows his cheeks out in disbelief.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 3

I'm not sure what an article from 1991 is supposed to prove, as the author's desire to rip on Eddie is apparent from the start ( using "The Emperor" in the title )

I am very familiar with Albert Lee ... and I've actually met Steve Morse, as my good friend Art took bass lessons from Dave LaRue ages ago ..

I'm not simply talking technical prowess here, even though that comes into play .. Eddie is in a league with Les Paul and Hendrix - and that is about it ..

You could put Hendrix on a stage with some 14 year old shredder from you tube and from you are basing ability and impact on, Hendrix would have his ass handed to him ... We all know that is nonsense ..

I have played the guitar since 1979, and I have seen just about everyone .. I've played in a million different bands, and while I love rock, I don't consider myself a "rock guy" ...

I don't even own any spandex at the moment ..

Eddie's appeal and influence goes not only beyond rock, it goes beyond the guitar

You can bring up some obscure guy who used his right hand on the fretboard before Eddie did it, but in 1977-78, face it, no one did anything near what Eddie did ...

The hammering and tapping aspect of Eddie's playing isn't even why I love him so much ..

Truth be told, by 1982 Eddie's fire had sort of burned out, and married life, success and meth eventually took their toll on his greatness ...

And you bull******** yourself if you think Victor Wooten and Billy Sheehan didn't get that from Eddie -

Not sure if there are any guitarists you can point to that you can say "He got that from Jaco"

Eddie's appeal, fire and influence spans all genres

Edited by Lucas

btw, I enjoy these discussions

I consider myself open minded, so I am all ears . .

All ears. Try being more brains. :P

Eddie Van Halen was a huge influence on hard rock guitar, but if you are claiming he was a huge influence on all music, you're mistaken. He had zero influence on classical music, little to none on jazz guitar, little influence on blues, folk, and on and on.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what an article from 1991 is supposed to prove, as the author's desire to rip on Eddie is apparent from the start ( using "The Emperor" in the title )

I am very familiar with Albert Lee ... and I've actually met Steve Morse, as my good friend Art took bass lessons from Dave LaRue ages ago ..

I'm not simply talking technical prowess here, even though that comes into play .. Eddie is in a league with Les Paul and Hendrix - and that is about it ..

You could put Hendrix on a stage with some 14 year old shredder from you tube and from you are basing ability and impact on, Hendrix would have his ass handed to him ... We all know that is nonsense ..

I have played the guitar since 1979, and I have seen just about everyone .. I've played in a million different bands, and while I love rock, I don't consider myself a "rock guy" ...

Eddie's appeal and influence goes not only beyond rock, it goes beyond the guitar

You can bring up some obscure guy who used his right hand on the fretboard before Eddie did it, but in 1977-78, face it, no one did anything near what Eddie did ...

The hammering and tapping aspect of Eddie's playing isn't even why I love him so much ..

Truth be told, by 1982 Eddie's fire had sort of burned out, and married life, success and meth eventually took their toll on his greatness ...

And you bull******** yourself if you think Victor Wooten and Billy Sheehan didn't get that from Eddie -

Not sure if there are any guitarists you can point to that you can say "He got that from Jaco"

Why are you trying to make this a thread about Eddie?

• Like 1

btw, I enjoy these discussions

I consider myself open minded, so I am all ears . .

All ears. Try being more brains. :P

Eddie Van Halen was a huge influence on hard rock guitar, but if you are claiming he was a huge influence on all music, you're mistaken. He had zero influence on classical music, little to none on jazz guitar, little influence on blues, folk, and on and on.

Nothing like a brain to ruin great music ;)

Eddie's inspiration cannot be measured - it is not simply in a Strat shaped guitar with one humbucker

He was an electric, innovative monster on his instrument, and who knows how many people decided to pick up an instrument because of his fire ..

He set the bar higher for innovation - not simply guitar playing

Because there is only so much you can say about a bass player

If someone could post something from Jaco that is instantly recognizable as Jaco Pastorius , I wanna hear it

I'm not talking songs you know as Jaco, I want to hear what this guy did that is as unique to him as what Eddie did - as of now, I just haven't heard it

Edited by Lucas

Wow. Ok. I guess we will agree to disagree. I as well play guitar, I'm 45.. And eddies appeal was , FOR THE MOST PART, centered on Hard Rock and Metal guys. Hugely influential.. But Guys like Dimeola, John McLaughlin, Mike stern, Paco

de Lucia .. I'm sure they respect Eddie as a rock player.. But come on ..

• Like 2

I think we're closer to agreeing than what we've brought here in the last few posts

I love Al D, for example, and I love Eddie as well . . . Eddie isn't even my favorite guitarist, so I;ve probably said too much already about him . .

I will enjoy and appreciate anyone who brings some fire and passion to the instrument - whether they are technical or not

Look at Steve Howe - he's one of my favorites, and he is one of the few I'd call a musical genius .. But he is sloppy and his classical technique is completely amateur - but is doesn't matter ... Proper schooling would probably have robbed him of some of his unique genius

Wow. Ok. I guess we will agree to disagree. I as well play guitar, I'm 45.. And eddies appeal was , FOR THE MOST PART, centered on Hard Rock and Metal guys. Hugely influential.. But Guys like Dimeola, John McLaughlin, Mike stern, Paco

plus, we've both got pics of KISS in our signature, so that right there bonds us

lol

Then why are you still posting? Sheesh.

plus, we've both got pics of KISS in our signature, so that right there bonds us

lol

...and causes the rest of us to take what you say with a grain of salt. ;)
  • Like 1

I think we're closer to agreeing than what we've brought here in the last few posts

I love Al D, for example, and I love Eddie as well . . . Eddie isn't even my favorite guitarist, so I;ve probably said too much already about him . .

I will enjoy and appreciate anyone who brings some fire and passion to the instrument - whether they are technical or not

Look at Steve Howe - he's one of my favorites, and he is one of the few I'd call a musical genius .. But he is sloppy and his classical technique is completely amateur - but is doesn't matter ... Proper schooling would probably have robbed him of some of his unique genius

You seem stuck on this "proper schooling" thing, which has little to nothing to do with the life of Jaco Pastorius. He was a teen prodigy, one who changed from drums to bass due to an injury. "It was during this era that an inkling of Jaco’s future abilities began to appear. He couldn’t read music..." http://jacopastorius.com/life/

http://jacopastorius.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/jaco-with-first-bass-500x500.jpg

It wasn't till he joined up with Wayne Cochran's band that he learned to read music. He did have some university experience, but it was as a teacher, rather than a student: "...during a trip to the famed Berklee College of Music in Boston, Jaco showed the students how he achieved his upright-esque sound on an electric. He even ended up teaching bass as an adjunct instructor in the University of Miami’s jazz department"

• Like 1

You seem stuck on this "proper schooling" thing, which has little to nothing to do with the life of Jaco Pastorius. He was a teen prodigy, one who changed from drums to bass due to an injury. "It was during this era that an inkling of Jaco’s future abilities began to appear. He couldn’t read music..." http://jacopastorius.com/life/

http://jacopastorius.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/jaco-with-first-bass-500x500.jpg

It wasn't till he joined up with Wayne Cochran's band that he learned to read music. He did have some university experience, but it was as a teacher, rather than a student: "...during a trip to the famed Berklee College of Music in Boston, Jaco showed the students how he achieved his upright-esque sound on an electric. He even ended up teaching bass as an adjunct instructor in the University of Miami’s jazz department"

I was only responding to Xanadoood's mention of Berklee, and Eagle's teeny bopper comments

But that bit of info is interesting

c'mon Eagle, I am just kiddin around

What next ??

This is a music forum, and I am tired of looking at Treeduck's crotch shots

• Like 2

What next ??

:LOL:

If you haven't seen the documentary mentioned in the OP, you should check it out.

• Like 1

What next ??

I couldn't tell you were kidding because you didn't give any real evidence of it. (i.e. no smileys) I thought it was very atypical posting behavior for you.

• Like 1

What next ??

I couldn't tell you were kidding because you didn't give any real evidence of it. (i.e. no smileys) I thought it was very atypical posting behavior for you.

Under normal circumstances, evidence of "kidding" is something actually being funny

That's where my comments usually fall flat

:D

• Like 1

Jaco is in a league of his own.

Jazz musicians tend to be (on average) better musicians.

Based on what ?

In this case, we were talking about Jaco's impact on not simply the bass guitar, but the music world

Jaco did not, does not, and never will have the impact that Eddie did .. or Hendrix .. or Les Paul

He's a good bassist, and he is revered in a tight little group, but he didn't turn any world on it's head like Eddie did

You're comparing apples or oranges. Jaco didn't play guitar, which was already an instrument used for solo and independent compositions. He helped bring the instrument to the forefront in music, not just something thumping in the background.

Basically, the Bobby Orr of bass players.

• Like 1

And as for Steve Morse

Eddie will never have to scan the washed up band want ads to join the likes of Deep Purple or Kansas

Good guitarist, but he's not in the discussion with Eddie

Wow. I'm sorry that's all I got.